Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The shown is fundamentally about politics, but the political and cultural conflict between christians and pagans continues to be a major part of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They do kill a lot more Christians, a lot more of each other, and also muslims.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Get ready for some leaks as the HBO hack was apparently a lot worse than originally reported. Including one executive who got their email compromised.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

muscles like this! posted:

Get ready for some leaks as the HBO hack was apparently a lot worse than originally reported. Including one executive who got their email compromised.

gently caress yeah, all of GOT at once right????

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Except GoT, what's in the can and ready to air? I know those OiTNB episodes were already about 6 months old before they leaked and were essentially final beyond some overdubs. Will be interesting to see what rolls out.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Apparently they got two episodes of Bill Hader's new series "Barry" which wasn't set to run until next year.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

zoux posted:

After Narcos came out Netflix also added a Colombian Escobar biopic series that was like 150 episodes. It was not good, so I'm skeptical of massively long foreign TV series.

MY FRIEND HAVE YOU HEARD OF LEGEND OF THE GALACTIC HEROES

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

muscles like this! posted:

Apparently they got two episodes of Bill Hader's new series "Barry" which wasn't set to run until next year.

Eh.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Except GoT, what's in the can and ready to air? I know those OiTNB episodes were already about 6 months old before they leaked and were essentially final beyond some overdubs. Will be interesting to see what rolls out.

My coworker is 100% convinced he has figured out how GoT will end this year so I'd love to have a jump on it just to ruin his day.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Rhyno posted:

My coworker is 100% convinced he has figured out how GoT will end this year so I'd love to have a jump on it just to ruin his day.

I know GoT on HBO Go tends to go up at the same time, can you fast forward to the end before the TV airing gets there? Could be a fun way to send him 'predictions'...

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The spoilers for this season have been out for months. He probably just read those and pretends it's a guess, like a bunch of the posters in the thread do.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I have a spoiler on how GoT will end: Badly, with no real sense of resolution or weight.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Mulva posted:

I have a spoiler on how GoT will end: Badly, with no real sense of resolution or weight.

Shocking

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

To this day Reign of Fire is the one movie I truly regret not walking out of the theater on.

Reign of Fire owns.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

Lurdiak posted:

Reign of Fire owns.
Right as Daenerys Targaryen is claiming her rightful place on the throne of all Westeros, Christian Bale and Matthew McConaughey show up in a tank and kill her dragons. The end.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
alright alright alright

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
By the old gods, and the new, time is a flat circle.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

What's the point of doing alternate history if you're just going to go with the same two things that always get done? (i.e. the Nazis winning and the Confederates winning )

When has this been done before?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Looten Plunder posted:

When has this been done before?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Civil_War_alternate_histories#Examples

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

I guess it's pretty drat common but it's hardly been overdone on screen. 3 episodes of TV, 2 B-Grade movies and a mokumentary isn't exactly flooding the market.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
How does this exist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YguljAFU3Bc

When apparantly this is how the show is made?

quote:

Episodes were generally shot over a three-day period in the Los Angeles-based Soundstage Studio 22[22] and featured upwards of 50 scenes with quick transitions and flashbacks. However, the "Pilot" episode was filmed at CBS Radford.[23] The laugh track was later created by recording an audience being shown the final edited episode. Thomas claimed that shooting before a live audience would have been impossible because of the structure of the show and the numerous flashforwards in each episode and because doing so "would blur the line between 'audience' and 'hostage situation'".[24] Later seasons started filming in front of an audience on occasion when smaller sets were used.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
You know the trashy soap show that all the characters watch in Dear White People? There is also a trashy soap show that the characters have been watching in the current season of Insecure. Are these soap operas that are apparently geared entirely towards black people actually a thing? What real world examples are there?

Is it kind of like TV equivalent of the black people movies that the likes of Tyler Perry make?

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
I thought the DWP one was a parody of Scandal?

As for GoT ending, I am still holding out hope for Bruce Campbell to show up with his chainsawhand and shotgun for the best x-over ever, Ash vs the Armies of Westeros.

"You think you have problems with undead, buddy you aint seen nothing yet!"

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Looten Plunder posted:

How does this exist

Oh god I'll never even be able to watch the good seasons on reruns now without hearing that.

And I'm gonna guess the answer is he's a big old liar.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I just don't understand why audience noises are a desirable element to any show. They suck even in sketch shows. Going one step further and faking them is especially bad, but even if it's "totally a live audience for real we swear" it's just lovely noise that detracts from the show and forces the actors to constantly pause after a punchline and have lovely timing on everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BFSZ8XzWOM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgKgXehYnnw

I mean, gently caress, you don't see dramas or even lovely soap operas have "cry tracks". The idea that shows are filmed for live audiences/tracks is as baffling to me as a band that only releases live albums.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Looten Plunder posted:

You know the trashy soap show that all the characters watch in Dear White People? There is also a trashy soap show that the characters have been watching in the current season of Insecure. Are these soap operas that are apparently geared entirely towards black people actually a thing? What real world examples are there?

Is it kind of like TV equivalent of the black people movies that the likes of Tyler Perry make?

There's a bunch of Tyler Perry produced sitcoms as well.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???

Looten Plunder posted:

I have not seen DWP or Insecure, but those sound like everything underneath the Shondaland production banner + Empire. Some are more "geared entirely toward" black people and some just happen to have a very large black following.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I watch both shows and the DWP parody is definitely a Shondaland thing but I'm not sure what the Insecure one is parodying, if anything. It's a drama about slaves.

"Oh bitch! Let the bitch read!"

Insecure is good.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Looten Plunder posted:

How does this exist

That's Neil Patrick Harris. Apparently the first time it happened it was a random audience member and then it became an in joke where NPH would mimic that laugh. The audience and the cast screenings were one and the same so that the audience of fans still got to meet/see the stars.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Lurdiak posted:

I just don't understand why audience noises are a desirable element to any show. They suck even in sketch shows. Going one step further and faking them is especially bad, but even if it's "totally a live audience for real we swear" it's just lovely noise that detracts from the show and forces the actors to constantly pause after a punchline and have lovely timing on everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BFSZ8XzWOM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgKgXehYnnw

I mean, gently caress, you don't see dramas or even lovely soap operas have "cry tracks". The idea that shows are filmed for live audiences/tracks is as baffling to me as a band that only releases live albums.

Those clips flow weird because they're obviously timing around reactions so removing them is not really any different to muting a character. I think the 'see multicam sitcoms as live theatre' adage works quite nicely, and don't hate being put amongst the audience. But - it has to be funny. Seinfeld works perfectly in this setting, but if I go to a play that isn't funny despite tons of roaring laughter, I'm just going to hate it even more because of everyone's reaction.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I watched about five minutes of that Turkish show and the translation is garbage so don't bother folks.

e:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ory6b2EJ3Bk

Season 3 of Narcos comes out on September 1. Looks like they're going all in on Pedro Pascal, which is wise imo.

How long has ABC/Disney been plugging Inhumans? And Netflix just casually mentions one of their top series is coming back in a few weeks.

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Aug 3, 2017

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

I watch both shows and the DWP parody is definitely a Shondaland thing but I'm not sure what the Insecure one is parodying, if anything. It's a drama about slaves.

Underground perhaps?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lurdiak posted:

I actually don't mind laugh tracks when they're responses to jokes that are actually, y'know, funny, and don't put the show on hold unnaturally. The laugh tracks don't bother me on Seinfeld, IT Crowd, or How I Met Your Mother because, well, I'm probably already chuckling myself by the time the studio laughter starts. And in the former two, the laughter is authentic... that video from HIMYM is pretty damning, though at the very least in HIMYM they made sure to edit the laughter or scene so as to not break the flow.

But when it's "tell lame joke, pause, wait for laughter, then continue" that the Chuck Lorre shows specialize in, then it bugs the everloving poo poo out of me.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Looten Plunder posted:

Are these soap operas that are apparently geared entirely towards black people actually a thing? What real world examples are there?

My immediate thought was "Empire," as the most recent network drama with a predominantly black cast. Per this Vulture article, it's equal parts Empire and Underground, but primarily a way to play with the general fervor of today's TV audiences. (And linked in that article is an interview with DWP's Justin Simien, where he says it's explicitly based on Scandal.)

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Timby posted:

Frank Oz loving hated the movie (he was notably sore that he was never consulted on the script, and he felt the finished product was too sappy -- feeling in particular that Kermit was written horribly, and the concept that the Muppets would ever become irrelevant was disrespectful), Dave Goelz admitted he did it for the paycheck and both Bill Barretta and Matt Vogel said at a few points they weren't particularly happy with it, either.

I love the Muppets and always will but let's be real here, most people did not give a poo poo about the Muppets prior to that movie, and if Oz was pissed about that, he should have been furious about the double dumpster fire that was the sequel movie and the TV show.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Snak posted:

Boondocks, in general, is edgy that way. It's angry and judgemental. Sometimes that's good for complacent or disillusioned people to hear, but of course it's also just kind of unproductive and uncouth. I think it gets a pass because it's also a comedy. It if was somehow 100% serious all the time, it would be bad.

You're probably right about that episode, I haven't seen it in years.

But, in general, what I think is a saving grace about Boondocks is that it's critical of Huey. Despite his often seeming to be the ideological mouthpiece of the show, the show also calls out his holier than thou attitude and simplification of complex issues. I always felt like the show was more about "this is where all these people are coming from" and less "this guy is right and all these other people are completely wrong". That it's less that "MLK is right in 'Return of the King'", and more "MLK would be upset with by his legacy". And I feel like that's a defensible claim. Being upset about the reality of things and acting out emotionally and pointing figures is a big theme in the show, it's rarely portrayed as the correct action.

McGruder seems in general to have a weird view of what black people that are not him are like.
That said, I didn't care much for him using MLK as his personal mouthpiece at the end, but I like the episode, if for nothing else, for the line "Dr. King, why are they giving away tickets to our emergency planning meeting on 95.5 WFRK, 'The Freak'?"

DivisionPost posted:

content warnings

I don't think there are two words I despise more in the "leftbook" phenomenon.

raditts fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Aug 3, 2017

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

try the new taco place posted:

I have not seen DWP or Insecure, but those sound like everything underneath the Shondaland production banner + Empire. Some are more "geared entirely toward" black people and some just happen to have a very large black following.

Sugar, Power, etc. There's more of that stuff out there if you're looking for it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

That's Neil Patrick Harris. Apparently the first time it happened it was a random audience member and then it became an in joke where NPH would mimic that laugh. The audience and the cast screenings were one and the same so that the audience of fans still got to meet/see the stars.

I hate adding onto to the interminable HIMYM chatter, but that laugh is way too exact clip to clip to be nothing else than something the sound designer or whatever lays into the audio to spice up the ep.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shageletic posted:

Sugar, Power, etc. There's more of that stuff out there if you're looking for it.

Is Power any good? I have a starz sub for American Gods and the now dead Black Sails, but I could get more use out of it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Older sitcoms like Taxi were blocked and acted out just like stage plays and you can really tell, and imo it enhances the experience to see them react to the audience reacting to them. Same with Seinfeld or Cheers.

It's hard to do well and most shows probably shouldn't bother trying, plus it's a holdover from when most actors had theater/improv/stand-up experience instead of YouTube experience or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

HIMYM was a very funny show before it was a very bad show and it makes me sad to see it getting the "laugh tracks are evil" treatment.

• Locked thread