Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

KnoxZone posted:

Little thing, but my Naginata should have been facing north after its movements, as per my orders.

I'll fix that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

I know this is gonna hurt having to take shots but I think it's time to engage the Stone Rhino and put it down for good. It sounds daunting but you really just need to open up one side torso and get crits on the gauss rifle. That'll get you the kill probably.

e: you also will want to put enough firepower on it to force piloting checks in the hopes of it falling. Otherwise it'll just jump north and gently caress off. Means you can push south again but will have to detach the Sag to finish it off.

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Aug 3, 2017

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Viva Miriya posted:

I know this is gonna hurt having to take shots but I think it's time to engage the Stone Rhino and put it down for good. It sounds daunting but you really just need to open up one side torso and get crits on the gauss rifle. That'll get you the kill probably.

I would just ignore the stone rhino and run south. Sticking around trying to take out those northern mechs is a trap. I mean take the shots if they're your only shots, but I would not deviate from the main goal of getting south ASAP just to try to take out a pristine 100 ton 3/5/3 mech and then probably fail to do that and have wasted both turns and shots on it while also necessarily being within LOS of its own shooting.

Alternatively, one mech sacrificially engages the stone rhino at close range to draw its fire while the other two sprint south; presumably only one of them needs to get to the southern group to trigger the victory condition.

Critically: killing the stone rhino or any other enemy mech is not even a minor objective.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

CourValant posted:

Don't recommend any of us rushing into the open, not with that Stone Rhino playing overwatch.

Initial instincts for the 'Sag' is to jump to 0717 and fire on the Epona. Objective is to work my way south down the left side, around the dropship and engage the Summoner.

How do you manage to cross streets IRL being this timid in a board game?

Leperflesh posted:

I would just ignore the stone rhino and run south. Sticking around trying to take out those northern mechs is a trap. I mean take the shots if they're your only shots, but I would not deviate from the main goal of getting south ASAP just to try to take out a pristine 100 ton 3/5/3 mech and then probably fail to do that and have wasted both turns and shots on it while also necessarily being within LOS of its own shooting.

Alternatively, one mech sacrificially engages the stone rhino at close range to draw its fire while the other two sprint south; presumably only one of them needs to get to the southern group to trigger the victory condition.

Critically: killing the stone rhino or any other enemy mech is not even a minor objective.

I hear what you are saying but you can make a quick right for a turn to punch it in the nose and then continue south and leave someone to mop it up. One mech sacrificially engaging this turn does nothing but lose you a mech in a couple of turns. All 3 turning to pound it one turn and 2 of them (Battlemaster, Hachimoto) continuing south afterwards makes more sense to me. It's a good chance to cause some decent damage which can be exploited by the sagittaire which has enough close in firepower to give the 100 tonner a run for its money. The other mechs have weapons with enough range to engage and still keep moving southbound, staying on mission.

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Aug 3, 2017

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Jew it to it! posted:

One other option is Sagittarius and Battlemaster continue south, Hatamoto-Chi advance to 1014 and fires on the Stone Rhino? That way we don't have everyone boxed in between the exploding tank of green and the battleship H6.

Thoughts?

I think this is the best plan, my only comment is that we move down the 'left' side, get through the rubble field, right hook around the downed drop-ship, punch through the Summoner and make our rendezvous.

This leaves the 'Hata' to watch our backs and keep that Stone Rhino occupied.

'Sag' to jump to 0617 and fire at the Epona.

Narsham posted:

Keep the mission in mind. Keeping your mechs from being damaged (with one notable exception) is not a part of your objectives. If you do go into the open, make sure it's at speed and that you're giving the Rhino multiple targets.

I get that, what I meant was neither the Battlemaster or 'Sag' will make it the rest of the way south if we just stick to the '08' corridor with the Stone Rhino being where it is.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

lol just lol if you pull rearguard with the battlemaster

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

CourValant posted:

Don't recommend any of us rushing into the open, not with that Stone Rhino playing overwatch.

Have the sag jump towards the stone rhino. Because you get to sit and watch how it moves before you move you can just keep jumping and poking its rear armour while the rest of the group move up.

Jew it to it! posted:

One other option is Sagittarius and Battlemaster continue south, Hatamoto-Chi advance to 1014 and fires on the Stone Rhino? That way we don't have everyone boxed in between the exploding tank of green and the battleship H6.

Thoughts?

Do not just throw the Hatamoto Chi at the Stone Rhino. It will get torn apart with little fanfare. If you want something to tie up the Stone Rhino the Sag is by far the most capable mech of doing so and is likely to kill it. Otherwise have everyone but the mauler drive south for the objective.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

CourValant posted:

I think this is the best plan, my only comment is that we move down the 'left' side, get through the rubble field, right hook around the downed drop-ship, punch through the Summoner and make our rendezvous.

This leaves the 'Hata' to watch our backs and keep that Stone Rhino occupied.

'Sag' to jump to 0617 and fire at the Epona.

I get that, what I meant was neither the Battlemaster or 'Sag' will make it the rest of the way south if we just stick to the '08' corridor with the Stone Rhino being where it is.

You are in a 95t 'mech with excellent loadout and jumpjet and you want to throw out a pristine Hatamoto so you can hide?

Edit: Just so I can point something out, this map is extremely brawly. You are going to have to take damage in order to win, you can't avoid taking damage even for a short while. It's a really rough scenario and trying to hedge your bets on non sub-optimal positioning just means you're losing a war of attrition.

Get stuck in.

Keru fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Aug 3, 2017

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

(smile)

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

CourValant posted:

The problem with that plan is that the objective is probably going to continue towards the right side of the map, so you still probably have to swing through the Stone Rhino's killzone eventually anyway.

I will maddenpost probably tomorrow, but as far as how I see the board right now for everyone: Hanse and the HTM can easily continue moving South and can either potshot the Stone Rhino or fire downrange. Isoroku and the Naginata + Jager (maybe?) can probably kill the Ha Otoko this round. The Mauler doesn't have many good options, but can stall, and can even block LOS to everything if it wants.

The SGT can either keep moving south also and put the LPLs/ERPPC to work...OR it can go after the Stone Rhino directly. It's actually perfectly capable of soloing the Stone Rhino, especially if you get up close and into the Rhino's minimum range - the SGT will be shooting on, like, 3s at that point. And if the Stone Rhino has to keep jumping for spacing purposes it's not going to have great shots.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

kingcom posted:

Have the sag jump towards the stone rhino. Because you get to sit and watch how it moves before you move you can just keep jumping and poking its rear armour while the rest of the group move up.

Do not just throw the Hatamoto Chi at the Stone Rhino. It will get torn apart with little fanfare. If you want something to tie up the Stone Rhino the Sag is by far the most capable mech of doing so and is likely to kill it. Otherwise have everyone but the mauler drive south for the objective.

Fraction Jackson posted:

The problem with that plan is that the objective is probably going to continue towards the right side of the map.

I will maddenpost probably tomorrow, but as far as actual, actionable advice: Hanse and the HTM can easily continue moving South and can either potshot the Stone Rhino or fire downrange. Isoroku and the Naginata + Jager (maybe?) can probably kill the Ha Otoko this round. The Mauler doesn't have many good options, but can stall, and can even block LOS to everything if it wants.

The SGT can either keep moving south also and put the LPLs/ERPPC to work...OR it can go after the Stone Rhino directly. It's actually perfectly capable of soloing the Stone Rhino, especially if you get up close and into the Rhino's minimum range - the SGT will be shooting on, like, 3s at that point. And if the Stone Rhino has to keep jumping for spacing purposes it's not going to have great shots.

Umm, but what if my imaginary robot gets shot coach?

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
I'm just going to reiterate what Fractionjackson said. The Sagittaire is literally the nastiest son of a bitch on the board.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Keru posted:

I'm just going to reiterate what Fractionjackson said. The Sagittaire is literally the nastiest son of a bitch on the board.

I mean it could be but umm...

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I'm not sure what's going on here but I don't like it.

What is it about Luthien?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Viva Miriya posted:

How do you manage to cross streets IRL being this timid in a board game?

I dunno, my instinct in these types of games is to be cautious when facing something that could end me pretty quickly and only go aggressive when I either have no other choice or it would be better to go out in a blaze of glory, or if doing so will make for a better play as I engage, or if I can bring overwhelming firepower and will come out better in an exchange. That's just me, though.

Might be because the wait to play in this thread is so long, or just plain not wanting to risk a mech in situations it might not be suited for. PTN did say that the Sagitairre would get murdered in the open ground, IIRC, especially with that Stone Rhino on overwatch there, and it does seem like more of an ambush mech: get into position using jump jets and then unload. I would also be cautious here with the aforementioned Stone Rhino, but then again, the objective here is to rescue to the southern Lance, the Davion Guards' survival isn't paramount (besides any sense of self preservation if it doesn't compromise the mission, and possibly attempting to protect the Coordinator-Prince). I guess I could agree that he is playing super timid despite these objectives, but I can see why he's doing so, even if it makes for a less fun game to watch and might draw out the mission.

Anyway, back to the update, looks like the Mauler is toast, as the Balius has finally cut it off, and an Epona and the limping Gargoyle have taken his back through the boat pen. Die well, you probably aren't going to last long with that much firepower on you. Might be able to draw it out a bit by backing away far enough from the Balius so it can't bring its short range brace of Heavy Small Lasers in for an alpha strike, but that just leaves the Garg to hit you in the side with its full salvo, and turning to face it would be a mistake since you'd give up a great turn of firing at the Balius as well. And with the rest of the GoonDavion Guards Lance there rushing south, there's likely no rescue coming. Again, die well, take at least the Balius with you.

I agree that the rest of GoonDavion Guards Lance should try and end the Stone Rhino this turn, looks like the best chance to do so right now. Isoroku and GoonSword of Light can probably stall for another turn and take the Summoner or another mech off of the board if the dice work out, but having that big turret or a mech dictate your safe movement lanes for another couple of turns is asking to be boxed in while the southern Star gets tired of the keep away and just blows the storage tank to get at you or finally moves in to take out Isoroku.

EDIT: And here comes the return of the Shadowdragon Troy McClure avatar. Wonder whose :10bux: that was? Seriously, what is it about Luthien that has this thread act like this all the time?

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Aug 3, 2017

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

no clue bossman

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

ah 'dun warned ya, I warned ya about th' cuuuuuurse o' Luthien!

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

PoptartsNinja posted:

I dunno; I don't quite like it either.

Gonna to take the high road though.

***** Edit *****

Wow; someone spent money to avatar troll me?

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Viva Miriya posted:

no clue bossman

Well, the comments turned considerably more hostile once you returned from probation, for one.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

PoptartsNinja posted:

I mean even if it's not the reason it's called Black Luthien it definitely makes sense that a planet nicknamed that would have a bizarre curse.

Also people should lay off CV. He's being maybe more cautious than I would be but this is a little over the top IMO.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Don't be discouraged CourValant, but do be bold. And encourage your teammates to back you up when you do. If all three of you bumrush the Stone Rhino and get you in position, you'll be able to put the Sagittaire's arsenal to good use. Between a now-pristine Stone Rhino and a slightly scuffed up Sagittaire, so long as the Sag auto-wins initiative I'd absolutely put my money on it winning the brawl. You've got comparable damage output but much more favorable range profiles if you're both in spitting distance of each other.

Remember, there's only a 5-ton weight difference between the two of you.

I still believe the Mauler can take someone down with him.

EDIT: who would do such a thing

viva

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Jew it to it! posted:

Well, the comments turned considerably more hostile once you returned from probation, for one.

I'm sorry that you feel that way.

GhostStalker posted:

I dunno, my instinct in these types of games is to be cautious when facing something that could end me pretty quickly and only go aggressive when I either have no other choice or it would be better to go out in a blaze of glory, or if doing so will make for a better play as I engage, or if I can bring overwhelming firepower and will come out better in an exchange. That's just me, though.

Might be because the wait to play in this thread is so long, or just plain not wanting to risk a mech in situations it might not be suited for. PTN did say that the Sagitairre would get murdered in the open ground, IIRC, especially with that Stone Rhino on overwatch there, and it does seem like more of an ambush mech: get into position using jump jets and then unload. I would also be cautious here with the aforementioned Stone Rhino, but then again, the objective here is to rescue to the southern Lance, the Davion Guards' survival isn't paramount (besides any sense of self preservation if it doesn't compromise the mission, and possibly attempting to protect the Coordinator-Prince). I guess I could agree that he is playing super timid despite these objectives, but I can see why he's doing so, even if it makes for a less fun game to watch and might draw out the mission.

Anyway, back to the update, looks like the Mauler is toast, as the Balius has finally cut it off, and an Epona and the limping Gargoyle have taken his back through the boat pen. Die well, you probably aren't going to last long with that much firepower on you. Might be able to draw it out a bit by backing away far enough from the Balius so it can't bring its short range brace of Heavy Small Lasers in for an alpha strike, but that just leaves the Garg to hit you in the side with its full salvo, and turning to face it would be a mistake since you'd give up a great turn of firing at the Balius as well. And with the rest of the GoonDavion Guards Lance there rushing south, there's likely no rescue coming. Again, die well, take at least the Balius with you.

I agree that the rest of GoonDavion Guards Lance should try and end the Stone Rhino this turn, looks like the best chance to do so right now. Isoroku and GoonSword of Light can probably stall for another turn and take the Summoner or another mech off of the board if the dice work out, but having that big turret or a mech dictate your safe movement lanes for another couple of turns is asking to be boxed in while the southern Star gets tired of the keep away and just blows the storage tank to get at you or finally moves in to take out Isoroku.

EDIT: And here comes the return of the Shadowdragon Troy McClure avatar. Wonder whose :10bux: that was? Seriously, what is it about Luthien that has this thread act like this all the time?

I'm tackling this by paragraphs:

1. I completely understand and empathize.

2. PTN is right if all that happens is the mech has to charge over an open field to get to it. It does not. It's close enough to begin using most of it weapons. Frankly, it's a mech which operates at its peak within 3 hexes of a target. You've failed as a player if you shy away from it without a good reason. There's no cover so there's no avoiding getting shot.

One mech shooting at you is not a good reason to avoid closing in. It just isn't.

3. Concur. I would back up 3, torso twist to shoot the gargoyle and hope for the leg hit to ruin it. That's the only chance it has of getting a kill. It WILL NOT kill the balius. It just won't.

4. Sounds good to me. Execute.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Just put Viva on ignore. Hes a terrible person that makes every thread he posts in worse. You are missing nothing.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Great Beer posted:

Just put Viva on ignore. Hes a terrible person that makes every thread he posts in worse. You are missing nothing.

You can ignore my posts but you can't uneat my rear end.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Viva Miriya posted:

2. PTN is right if all that happens is the mech has to charge over an open field to get to it. It does not. It's close enough to begin using most of it weapons. Frankly, it's a mech which operates at its peak within 3 hexes of a target. You've failed as a player if you shy away from it without a good reason. There's no cover so there's no avoiding getting shot.

One mech shooting at you is not a good reason to avoid closing in. It just isn't.

3. Concur. I would back up 3, torso twist to shoot the gargoyle and hope for the leg hit to ruin it. That's the only chance it has of getting a kill. It WILL NOT kill the balius. It just won't.

4. Sounds good to me. Execute.

Fair enough on point 2, it's why I recommended getting stuck in against the Stone Rhino. The Sagittare has optimal range to it if it jumps well and does a coordinated attack with the rest of the Lance save the Mauler meant to take that thing out. If PTNs dice cooperate (always a question, though the shooting luck of the Jagermech might have drawn all the dice luck for this mission or be a sign of something more), then the Rhino will, if not be crippled this turn, then have its threat profile severely reduced for the foreseeable future and you guys can continue to ride to the rescue (or leave one to put it down permanently).

On point 3, I didn't notice that the Balius was that pristine and thought the firepower of the Mauler could at least damage it badly if a majority of weaponsin an alpha strike connected since the TNs would likely be very low. But I see your point, and agree that the Gargoyle would make a better target wrt chances of taking it out this turn.

Now to see what GoonDavion Guards Lance decides to do so we can all move on from this sooner rather than later.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Aug 3, 2017

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
For us southern folks, we are still outgunned, but I think we are definitely in position to start making more aggressive moves now that some of the OpFor is backing off to respond to the northern threat. Either the Ha Otoko or the Glass Spider can probably be engaged relatively safely. Either way I want to get away from the building before it explodes.

Viva Miriya posted:

Mauler has no torso twist so it wouldn't be able to bring its full firepower to bear.

KnoxZone fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Aug 3, 2017

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

GhostStalker posted:

PTN did say that the Sagitairre would get murdered in the open ground, IIRC.

I did, but that wasn't entirely my meaning. The Sagittaire loses a long-range duel, but a knife fight in the open is still a knife fight.

Edit: and the Sagittaire is like bringing a chainsaw to that knife fight.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

I did, but that wasn't entirely my meaning. The Sagittaire loses a long-range duel, but a knife fight in the open is still a knife fight.

More like a mine flail to a knife fight.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

KnoxZone posted:

Mauler has no torso twist so it wouldn't be able to bring its full firepower to bear.

Missed that. You can't run backing up, only at your walking speed, right? And backing up three would be the most the Mauler could do with its walking MP; it can't turn after because that would push it into Running MP, correct? That sucks. At most the Mauler can only bring less than half it's firepower to bear at the Gargoyle if that is the case, but it's full load against the Balius. Still probably isn't enough to take out said mech, so going for the already battered Garg with what firepower can hit it still seems like the better bet right now. If only PTN's dice cooperate.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Fair enough, I understand the distinction between the two and thank you for the correction. Looks like the current situation against the Stone Rhino is what it was designed for: jumping in, taking it's back if possible, and then unloading on the unlucky sonuvabitch. Let's see it get done and open some holes in the thing.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Aug 3, 2017

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Viva Miriya posted:

You can ignore my posts but you can't uneat my rear end.
Are you even playing in this match?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

:munch:

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Please try extreme violence.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Viva Miriya posted:

I'm sorry that you feel that way.

Not sorry enough to stop, though, I can't help but notice.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

There's just something in the polluted water on Black Luthien...

anakha fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Aug 3, 2017

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

anakha posted:

There's just something in the polluted water on Black Luthien...

Luthien, the black pearl, where empires and emperors, and goons go to die, like Indochina before her

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I need to distract people.

I wish my lightbox hadn't broken so I didn't have to use the flash

Edit: Have some WIP "VIPs" while I'm at it.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Aug 3, 2017

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

You're only way out is with bad battletech fiction reviews.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

I am contacting the other two members of the northern lance via PM as well, to coordinate.

For the Battlemaster I think my best option is to move to 1017, unload short range weapons on the Epona plus Melee, PPCs on the Stone Rhino.

What I think may be best for the Sagittarius is to move to 0918, facing 1017 and unload everything on the Stone Rhino.

For the Hatamoto-Chi it's a little trickier, advance to 0816 or 0817, unload short range on the Epona and long range on one of the mechs to the south.

Lastly, the Mauler is in a tough spot. He is unfortunately a dead man walking unless the dice roll in his favor. If he moves to 0810 he can unload on the Stone Rhino and help us move south.

Thoughts?

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

Edit: Have some WIP "VIPs" while I'm at it.

I really like that Mad Dog, PTN! Is lime green a falcons thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

The Mauler is still a solid workhorse of a mech thats going to take a couple of turns to kill. I'd say do as much work as you can with it to pull other things out of position. If they have to come and kill it then they will take longer to turn around and hit anything else when its dead. Just back up and take shots as you can.

• Locked thread