Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
Exactly. ATP on Model 3 is going to be around $50k. Big battery + enhanced AP gets you to $49k, and if you dont want it in black theres $50k. Sane minds already knew most cars were not going to $35k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

drgitlin posted:

I have a piece up at Ars about the Lucid Air: https://arstechnica.com/cars/2017/08/the-electric-lucid-air-hit-235mph-in-testing-but-will-it-see-production/

Really hope they make it to production.

Hmmmmm, so you haven't driven this, yet continue to support what is on all counts the biggest vaporware we have seen thus far.

Also:

http://jalopnik.com/faraday-future-...8319.1484114343

"Ambitious but troubled startup automaker Faraday Future said today that it’s officially halting efforts to build a $1 billion factory in Nevada, as its billionaire financier Jia Yueting deals with significant money problems. The move comes just days after Faraday officials told Jalopnik that Jia’s financial woes will have “no impact” on Faraday’s day-to-day operation and goal of producing its flagship vehicle, the FF 91, by 2018."

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
I have an open offer to drive I, just haven't been able to get out to CA yet to do so.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

drgitlin posted:

I have an open offer to drive I, just haven't been able to get out to CA yet to do so.

So truly getting a yet to be assembled, massaged model from the manufacturer. I wonder if they will let you drive the stripped down high speed test model or the ultra luxurious one.

Please update when you drive one, I'm dying to see this vaporware written about more.

The Sicilian fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Aug 2, 2017

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Lucid Air isn't as much vaporware as Faraday loving Future. Perhaps Faraway Future is a better name.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

The Sicilian posted:

Hmmmmm all the hot takes on the model 3 seem to be very positive. Comparing the handling favorably towards an Alfa.

Not much being said beyond goon's usually complaints: LOL screen, interior, and cost.

Glad I never listen to you fools.

Wait are you really trying to be an idiot about people's complaints being borne out in reality?

I'm glad it drives well, though. I'll be curious to drive one although I'm not sure when that will be a possibility in a showroom. Any word on that?

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

SnatchRabbit posted:

My wife and I just bought a 2016 e-golf and we really like it. Just wondering if there are any tips to get the most out of the car monetarily or otherwise? We've already filed for all the fed/state/electrical company rebates, and I've been playing around with the eco and recuperative modes, and researched local free charging stations and off-peak electrical rates. Not sure if there are any other obscure benefits to owning one of these things but so far it's pretty slick as a low range second car.

Use the PlugShare app to learn more about charging near you and current station status, and pick up a Level 2 charger. Being able to come home after a long commute, charge while you eat dinner, and then head back out for a movie the same evening is loving awesome - we've been able to shift far more miles to our Leaf since getting a JuiceBox Pro.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Wait are you really trying to be an idiot about people's complaints being borne out in reality?

I'm glad it drives well, though. I'll be curious to drive one although I'm not sure when that will be a possibility in a showroom. Any word on that?

I guess I'm trying to separate the hot-take from the uninformed drivel from real world experience. Most drivers and consumers are lemmings, let papa Elon tell you what to like and why.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
I too am in production hell Elon, I can't make up my mind between configurations. If I'm being completely honest, the only real upgrade I would want right now would be the premium package due to several things in it. This car will be primarily used for driving around town, so I don't need the extended battery life. I honestly don't care about autopilot right now. I'm excited for it in the future, but that just makes me think I can just add it in the future. I'm fine with black paint, don't care really. I have a philosophy that you either pay extra and get exactly what you want (making the cost worth it), or you go the opposite direction and get something at a great low price and then enjoy the feeling of not wasting a lot of money. If you go in the middle, you neither save money nor get what you want, and that's the bad place. I'm having a hard time not going to the bad place on this model 3 planning. Maybe my scratch notes will help someone else in a similar situation. I know there are extra hidden costs on top of this (delivery, etc), that's just gravy.

35k + 5k premium= 40k / original plan and payment amount, but won't get car for awhile thus possibly missing the tax credit (which I could really use this year) and my wife's anniversary (planning on this being a gift).
35k + 5k premium + 9k battery = 49k / Has premium, might regret not getting larger battery in future, but don't need the battery now. I drive a fun car now, and will probably enjoy the extra oomph. Get the car soonest! :flipoff:)
35k + 5k premium + 8k autopilot = 48k / A year after purchase will I find myself wishing I'd spent the extra 9k on autopilot instead of battery? Is this the bad place?

Advise me goons.

OldPueblo fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Aug 2, 2017

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

You can activate AP later, FWIW. Slight price premium, but it's an option.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

OldPueblo posted:

Advise me goons.

buy a bolt

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

OldPueblo posted:

my wife's anniversary

:crossarms:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

OldPueblo posted:

Advise me goons.

A fully loaded one would be nice, but $35k + $5k autopilot is what I would get as a base model. You don't need the full self driving capability as it makes no difference as of yet. It will cost $5k to add later instead of $3k now, but then you will know what you're getting. Who knows, the price might go down as well.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

I'd just end up with the $35k model, possibly in another color for the extra (grumble) thousand bucks.

I think I'm in a small minority in that until we get Level 5 I'd rather just drive myself around, so no AP for me.

I would also wait to see a) longer term reliability and ergonomics reviews b) exactly how stiff that suspension is and c) what Leaf 2.0 is going to be like.

I guess the "good" news is that most people are going to have to wait a while anyway so there's no need to rush.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

Powershift posted:

buy a bolt

I'm kind of invested in the whole "Tesla is trying to change the world" ideology. Maybe that's dumb, maybe it's naive, but I'm not just looking for an EV from <insert carmaker>. I'd rather toss money Tesla's way. I think they do things a little differently at Chevy. :v: But I promise to take a look in the interest of being thorough.

Yeah I caught that after, it's also my anniversary! Honestly I'll be driving it more than her since I always drive when we go out together (per her choice). Unless you meant something else.

Ola posted:

A fully loaded one would be nice, but $35k + $5k autopilot is what I would get as a base model. You don't need the full self driving capability as it makes no difference as of yet. It will cost $5k to add later instead of $3k now, but then you will know what you're getting. Who knows, the price might go down as well.

I gotta have my premium sound and I'd rather not wire up my own speakers in this all electric car. I have this thought that every time the bass hits from my off the shelf subwoofers that I'll kill 5 miles of battery or something. I'd rather have Tesla plan/install the audio electrics. Plus a few other perks in the premium package seemed nice. Not the leather though, I could do without that in AZ. :( That's not a bad idea though on going halfsies on AP to break up the cost.

EDIT: Something just occurred to me. Have there been any tests at how much the audio system volume affects a Tesla's range? I like dropping phat beatz, will that mean I should get the larger battery? :o:

OldPueblo fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Aug 2, 2017

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

OldPueblo posted:

Something just occurred to me. Have there been any tests at how much the audio system volume affects a Tesla's range? I like dropping phat beatz, will that mean I should get the larger battery? :o:

Only a few informal ones and then the observed result was zero. It obviously drains a bit, but you can run an ICE car's sound system off the 12 volt battery for a good while after all, so the power draw isn't big. The premium package does come with a lot of stuff that would be nice to have in a car. If it doesn't actually cost you your house, load it up!

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

OldPueblo posted:

I'm kind of invested in the whole "Tesla is trying to change the world" ideology. Maybe that's dumb, maybe it's naive, but I'm not just looking for an EV from <insert carmaker>. I'd rather toss money Tesla's way. I think they do things a little differently at Chevy. :v: But I promise to take a look in the interest of being thorough.

Yeah I caught that after, it's also my anniversary! Honestly I'll be driving it more than her since I always drive when we go out together (per her choice). Unless you meant something else.

I gotta have my premium sound and I'd rather not wire up my own speakers in this all electric car. I have this thought that every time the bass hits from my off the shelf subwoofers that I'll kill 5 miles of battery or something. I'd rather have Tesla plan/install the audio electrics. Plus a few other perks in the premium package seemed nice. Not the leather though, I could do without that in AZ. :( That's not a bad idea though on going halfsies on AP to break up the cost.

EDIT: Something just occurred to me. Have there been any tests at how much the audio system volume affects a Tesla's range? I like dropping phat beatz, will that mean I should get the larger battery? :o:

I can't imagine a stereo system will draw so much power that it affects range to a point that's concerning. Would a 10mi drop in overall range each charge, with 100% loud stereo usage, bother you?

Napkin math, a thing I found says an electric car will draw .34 kWH to travel 1 mile. That's 1,000 watts being blasted for .34 of an hour. 1,000 watts is more than the max of any superloud system.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

OldPueblo posted:

I too am in production hell Elon, I can't make up my mind between configurations. If I'm being completely honest, the only real upgrade I would want right now would be the premium package due to several things in it. This car will be primarily used for driving around town, so I don't need the extended battery life. I honestly don't care about autopilot right now. I'm excited for it in the future, but that just makes me think I can just add it in the future. I'm fine with black paint, don't care really. I have a philosophy that you either pay extra and get exactly what you want (making the cost worth it), or you go the opposite direction and get something at a great low price and then enjoy the feeling of not wasting a lot of money. If you go in the middle, you neither save money nor get what you want, and that's the bad place. I'm having a hard time not going to the bad place on this model 3 planning. Maybe my scratch notes will help someone else in a similar situation. I know there are extra hidden costs on top of this (delivery, etc), that's just gravy.

35k + 5k premium= 40k / original plan and payment amount, but won't get car for awhile thus possibly missing the tax credit (which I could really use this year) and my wife's anniversary (planning on this being a gift).
35k + 5k premium + 9k battery = 49k / Has premium, might regret not getting larger battery in future, but don't need the battery now. I drive a fun car now, and will probably enjoy the extra oomph. Get the car soonest! :flipoff:)
35k + 5k premium + 8k autopilot = 48k / A year after purchase will I find myself wishing I'd spent the extra 9k on autopilot instead of battery? Is this the bad place?

Advise me goons.
$35k+5k premium + 5k EAP = $45. You can all FSD later if it gets approved and you really want it. EAP does all the freeway cruising for you just fine.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Tesla just released earnings. Beat estimates, didn't lose as much money as expected, Model 3 gross margin 25% in 2018 - need to confirm that later as I just got it off a frothing Twitter.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Michael Scott posted:

I can't imagine a stereo system will draw so much power that it affects range to a point that's concerning. Would a 10mi drop in overall range each charge, with 100% loud stereo usage, bother you?

Napkin math, a thing I found says an electric car will draw .34 kWH to travel 1 mile. That's 1,000 watts being blasted for .34 of an hour. 1,000 watts is more than the max of any superloud system.

0.34? I don't think I ever get under 1.5kWh per mile and that's driving at 25mph in the city.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Unless I'm mistaken, I use less than 300Wh/km at rated speed. (90kWh battery with 400km range = 225Wh/km, or 360Wh/mi.)

What are you driving that eats up 5x a Model S?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

drgitlin posted:

0.34? I don't think I ever get under 1.5kWh per mile and that's driving at 25mph in the city.

Yes, the Model S famously has less than 60 miles of range at 25 mph. That's closer to a Model X racing up hill, towing a boat. You might be getting 150 Wh (0.15 kWh) per mile in the city, although the stat can get screwy on the first mile if you've had high consumption while standing still.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Ola posted:

Tesla just released earnings. Beat estimates, didn't lose as much money as expected, Model 3 gross margin 25% in 2018 - need to confirm that later as I just got it off a frothing Twitter.

So they project have will have the cash to cover future CAPEX, Model 3 production is projected to be better than earlier projections, Model 3 reservations are growing, existing model sales have increased, Model 3 revenue to exceed costs late 2018, cash burn due to further manufacturing expansion with actual car production well and truly in the black.

And some loving idiots still persist in thinking Tesla are a scam or doomed. LOLNo those accounts are a healthy business in the midst of a big expansion to deal with huge demand.

https://electrek.co/2017/08/02/tesla-tsla-q2-2017-earnings/

Full report in link.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

drgitlin posted:

I thought you drove *3* Teslas, how do you not know this?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

Unless I'm mistaken, I use less than 300Wh/km at rated speed. (90kWh battery with 400km range = 225Wh/km, or 360Wh/mi.)

What are you driving that eats up 5x a Model S?

Hrm, perhaps I'm just imagining that.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

The Sicilian posted:

I thought you drove *3* Teslas, how do you not know this?

Do you have the faintest idea how many cars I drive in a year? I don't remember every detail about every one of them off the top of my head. Unless you're under the mistaken impression I have three Teslas, in which case nooooope.

Anyway, it was a brain fart because I've been doing too many different things at once.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

drgitlin posted:

Do you have the faintest idea how many cars I drive in a year? I don't remember every detail about every one of them off the top of my head. Unless you're under the mistaken impression I have three Teslas, in which case nooooope.

Anyway, it was a brain fart because I've been doing too many different things at once.

I was never under the impression you owned 3 Teslas.

I just figured a tech writer would have a basic grasp of math before questioning someone like that.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

drgitlin: just ignore him.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I wonder if it's time for a Tesla thread and an "everyone else" thread...

huge pile of hamburger
Nov 4, 2009

call to action posted:

I wonder if it's time for a Tesla thread and an "everyone else" thread...

no

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

I mean the endless sperging about the Model 3 is riveting, but...

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

We went through it about the Bolt, too. We'll do it again for the BMW electrics. It's what the thread's for.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
If we had a tesla thread, we'd know who to throw in to the volcano though

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

The Sicilian posted:

Toyota has never released a low volume or good handling car apparently either.

No, Toyota has never sold a low volume mass market car.

The Sicilian posted:

I guess I'm trying to separate the hot-take from the uninformed drivel from real world experience. Most drivers and consumers are lemmings, let papa Elon tell you what to like and why.

Are you a real person?

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

Gamesguy posted:

No, Toyota has never sold a low volume mass market car.

Are you a real person?

http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales-data/toyota/toyota-mr2-spyder/

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

So you think Tesla is only going to sell 7000 Model 3s per year?

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

sanchez posted:

I predict a thriving market in GPS based stick-on speedometers that match the model 3's dash texture/color. Kind of like the A pillar gauge pods that were big in the 90's

Or how about things like this?

https://www.navdy.com/#see-the-road

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, took me almost two months to get my body panel replaced, because the one place in the entire 2M person city authorized to do Tesla body work was booked, and then they had to wait two weeks for the parts.

That's my main concern with the Model 3 - if Tesla isn't as aggressive with expanding the availability of spare parts and service as they've been with building new Superchargers, things are going to get real ugly real quick.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

Gamesguy posted:

So you think Tesla is only going to sell 7000 Model 3s per year?

Sure, in the last quarter of this year and the first of next.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

The Sicilian posted:

Sure, in the last quarter of this year and the first of next.

Does your universe also use a different definition of the word "year"?

Most people who spend $50k on a luxury car isn't going to want to install aftermarket components like this.

quote:

That's my main concern with the Model 3 - if Tesla isn't as aggressive with expanding the availability of spare parts and service as they've been with building new Superchargers, things are going to get real ugly real quick.
IMO the first 100,000 or so Model 3 customers wouldn't care no matter how badly they're treated. But once Tesla stops selling only to diehard enthusiasts it'll start to matter.

Gamesguy fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Aug 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

Gamesguy posted:

Does your universe also use a different definition of the word "year"?

It was an irrelevant question meant to shift the goalposts when I provided you with a mass market low volume model Toyota produced.

We get it, you're critical of the model 3, that doesn't stop 1,800 people a day post reveal from giving Tesla $1k for a deposit.

• Locked thread