Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Something tells me we'll be seeing some new Glassdoor reviews soon. The cig thread reader will pass along the need as soon as Sandi's in the office again, which should be whenever they shoot the next ATV -- provided she doesn't have a schedule conflict (i.e. acting gig.) Those take priority over "work", even though "work" is an acting gig, too, and pays a princely sim.

She'll get the word eventually though. A few days or couple weeks will pass and then, "TaDa!", an anonymous employee review from a digital artist in LA will grace the collection.

Whatever else it includes, one thing is certain...

"ADVICE TO MANAGEMENT:
Keep doing what you're doing!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

I think almost nobody knows this, but here's a hot tip: There are assembly language instructions in x86/64 for doing decimal math.

I only know this because I read the Intel CPU architecture books cover to cover.

Those instructions only exist because there are various laws requiring money to be calculated in decimal.

It may sound stupid, but there are multiple example of people running financial sites, like bitcoin poo poo, and the account balances getting hosed up because they used floats.

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

Criminal lawyer or criminal, lawyer. Yeah. No difference.

D_Smart posted:

Well it's all fake. So. :colbert:

All joking aside, it points to one of two problems with CIG. Either they have a crap retention rate with current employees (high turnover) or they are still understaffed with qualified employees. Either way, it doesn't bode well for this project.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

MinorInconvenience posted:

All joking aside, it points to one of two problems with CIG. Either they have a crap retention rate with current employees (high turnover) or they are still understaffed with qualified employees. Either way, it doesn't bode well for this project.

Wait... your just now getting to the 'it doesnt bode well' mentality?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Are they giving up on the space thing and just making it a cryengine first person shooter with buggies and ships you fly around like planes or something?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

You realize the whole thing is a big scam to scam people out of money right?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

XK posted:

I think almost nobody knows this, but here's a hot tip: There are assembly language instructions in x86/64 for doing decimal math.

I only know this because I read the Intel CPU architecture books cover to cover.

Those instructions only exist because there are various laws requiring money to be calculated in decimal.

It may sound stupid, but there are multiple example of people running financial sites, like bitcoin poo poo, and the account balances getting hosed up because they used floats.

Hopefully they are using a Pentium 60/66 with the FDIV bug.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Ugh... something funny happen already.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
:toot:

https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/892906654861148160

e:

Quavers fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Aug 3, 2017

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers

thatguy posted:

Scrod

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
the fun gameplay of watching movies

lol

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
looks like we'll see something sq42 related to tide over the backers in a few weeks

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

TheAgent posted:

looks like we'll see something sq42 related to tide over the backers in a few weeks

this is good, show one delayed product to take the heat of the other delayed product.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

thatguy posted:

Just wait until Gamescom. Either they will have an epic bullshot reel, or everything starts coming apart.

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

grimcreaper posted:

Wait... your just now getting to the 'it doesnt bode well' mentality?

Not at all. Although I am late to this particular party/wake, I have many impassioned pleas for idiots to get out now. Just look at my post history. I tend to be more understated when sober.

hakimashou posted:

You realize the whole thing is a big scam to scam people out of money right?

It's a scam, but not an outright one as people commonly understand it. This is a "fake it 'til you make it" type of deal (much like hundreds of failed dotcom companies). There is no doubt in my mind that the people involved think that as long as the money keeps rolling in, they will eventually be able to do what they promised. They justify what they're doing by saying that it will all work out in the end. They just need to keep milking idiot whales to get them there.

MinorInconvenience fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Aug 3, 2017

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

Wait.... he backed this shitpile for holograms and nothing else? that's... good for star citizen.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Wait, what? Make the German people speak English as rapidly as possible, about a thing.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

TheAgent posted:

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/892197961593171968

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
What is a "holoprojection with secondary viewpoints" ?

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

hakimashou posted:

Something that won't work and will also require them to refactor all of the ships again... and probably give them a good reason to delay 3.0 again.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

hakimashou posted:

The sole reason some dude pledged in 2012

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

Put up or shut up, Uncle D. It's less than three weeks away. They can't change gears that quickly, so there is no reason not to spill the beans now. Come on. This thread sucks right now. :raise:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

hakimashou posted:

It means they can finally do something Half-Life 2 did in 2004.

…except it had better character models.

Also, it's a bit more advanced than the HoloDuke from 1996, but not by much.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Aug 3, 2017

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Put up or shut up, Uncle D. It's less than three weeks away. They can't change gears that quickly, so there is no reason not to spill the beans now. Come on. This thread sucks right now. :raise:

TBF, last time loads were shot too early, the Aegis Potato came into being. I'd actually rather anyone with info kept quiet till like 2 hrs before their presentation, then drop bombs. If they're correct, the mental gymnastics as to why Derek knows stuff are worth the wait.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

G0RF posted:

Something tells me we'll be seeing some new Glassdoor reviews soon. The cig thread reader will pass along the need as soon as Sandi's in the office again, which should be whenever they shoot the next ATV -- provided she doesn't have a schedule conflict (i.e. acting gig.) Those take priority over "work", even though "work" is an acting gig, too, and pays a princely sim.

She'll get the word eventually though. A few days or couple weeks will pass and then, "TaDa!", an anonymous employee review from a digital artist in LA will grace the collection.

Whatever else it includes, one thing is certain...

"ADVICE TO MANAGEMENT:
Keep doing what you're doing!"

it's like someone stubbornly insists on including the phrase 'keep doing what you're doing' in all the positive reviews, like some kind of compulsive poker face failure

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

Tippis posted:

It means they can finally do something Half-Life 2 did in 2004.

…except it had better character models.

Also, it's a bit more advanced than the HoloDuke from 1996, but not by much.

The thing is CRoberts doesn't do things that already work and have worked for decades, so what is he going to do to make this unbelievably complex?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Amazing Zimmo posted:

The thing is CRoberts doesn't do things that already and have worked for decades, so what is he going to do to make this unbelievably complex?

Render to a 16k texture, because that's how large it needs to be to really convey all the details. He calculated that from how close the in-game characters will stand to their monitors and based on the whole “retina display” pixel density calculation.

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

Xaerael posted:

TBF, last time loads were shot too early, the Aegis Potato came into being. I'd actually rather anyone with info kept quiet till like 2 hrs before their presentation, then drop bombs. If they're correct, the mental gymnastics as to why Derek knows stuff are worth the wait.

Fair enough, I guess. But I am not aware of the "Aegis Potato" event you reference. Any links to learn more? Thanks.

Lazrin
Apr 13, 2016

THEN HE SAID..NO WAIT, LISTEN. THEN HE SAID 3.0 IS COMING OUT BY DEC 19TH 2016
:laffo:

TheAgent posted:

truly precognizant

i look forward to hearing what day follows saturday

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Lazrin posted:

truly precognizant

i look forward to hearing what day follows saturday

hey Lethality how do you plan to play Ashes of Creation when it's released

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Fair enough, I guess. But I am not aware of the "Aegis Potato" event you reference. Any links to learn more? Thanks.

The goons' team of highly trained suicide corporate espionage ninjas had hacked CIG's mainframe and downloaded the name of a new ship into their central cortex. This name was evilly spread across all of the internet for everyone to see.

Cleverly and sanely, CIG reacted by showing how wrong they were. When the ship was revealed, it wasn't at all what the ineffectual goons had said — instead, right there in the middle of the ship presentation was the name, clear as day: POTATO, which had been the name all along and definitely not something they just threw in there while they figured out a new name to show how wrong the haters were.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

spacetoaster posted:

I don't know. He seems like the kind of guy to get all excited about a new job/thing/hobby and spend a bunch of money he doesn't have to get into it.

It's not cheap to have that nice chair/mic/puter/etc. I can't imagine that CIG is paying THAT much to just have some drunk pervert twitch their game constantly.

You're referring to the company that is based off of lies, where the VP and CEO weren't married, then whoops they actually were!

Where the VP has a degree in marketing with a masters thesis entitled "International Marketing", who as a young lady was designing shoes, while also getting a degree in marine biology, and during her classes had her models jump on the table and do a show, while also running that modeling company.

The CEO is so busy not working on his game that when he actually has to play it he has no idea how, and coined the phrases that insinuate backers will never find out about how they've wasted the money.

The same company that spends untold thousands on poo poo tier furniture that looks like it came off of an airplane.

A company based around making a video game that's too priority is making YouTube videos so they can pack their imbd accounts with episodes.

...so yes, yes I can see them spending untold thousands to get some jerkoff on twitch to stream their product 24/7 as much as humanly possible to help it look like the YouTube videos where they lie about features may actually exist because some "big name" streamer is dedicated to it.

Really the only miscalculation that everybody at CIG seems to have done is believe in Chris Roberts and his project estimation skills.

Between streamers hyping and then suddenly not having their expected and very likely promised material, to timed marketing launches featuring parts of the game that don't exist (that shitlemonade webpage, possibly even the recent PCGamer episode), and everybody thinking "this will happen and this time!" And it doesn't.

I'm no marketing expert, but I do know you plan marketing releases far in advance of your product actually being ready. It's all about timing, matching up production estimates with sales and distribution. It's expensive and puts stress on both groups to make sure the timing is perfect.

And comically enough, CIG can't estimate to save their lives, so we see comical "surprise marketing", but it's a loving misfire because they believe in Roberts' estimations. We'll probably see many more of them too. Each time you do, it's some fabricated time where CR was sitting at an office waving his hands and saying "oh yeah, we'll definitely make that deadline!" while none of the programmers are in the room, the game code is burning down around him, and he hasn't played it since December of 2015 or something.

So yes, I believe they pay their streamer bitch quite well, because he's the one marketing guy that will always be positive because he's loving paid to be positive (except for the occasional mental breakdown), and probably one of the few who want fame and money more than just having fun with a game. That's why he'll never be a great streamer though, because he can't have fun.

The Titanic fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Aug 3, 2017

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Well I already have a WIP article dropping on Aug 22nd. If I spill any beans before then, they will just change gears. Two sources already told me that CIG is monitoring my Twitter feed closely, and they're already freaking out over leaks.

All I can say is, I have the ENTIRE scoop on what they're doing with SQ42 for GamesCom. Hint: See "The Worm"

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Xaerael posted:

Not only that, also during "The Worm", the minute I said it was fake, and Shitizens starting making GBS threads on me, CIG decided to release a statement, along with a video "The Road To ShitizenCon" to kill the noise.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
If anybody cares, they can probably time MoMA, or other shills, and his "oh it'll happen before this point" to these marketing misfires, and if MoMA/others is a paid shill he's getting the same marketing material and estimates these sites are getting for their timed launches.

MoMA and others are wrong because CIG can't give an honest loving timeline to save their lives. So everybody blows their load based on CR's estimates, and when he fails, it's time to hunker down for a while while the new marketing road map is penned out by more meetings and CR getting slaps on his wildly waving hands.

Everybody is in a defensive mode right now because the last estimate was hosed up and everybody is pissed off now at them. Once they get the next set of marching orders for the next release, expect more poo poo to start appearing.

Don't expect much for this upcoming con.

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

D_Smart posted:

Well I already have a WIP article dropping on Aug 22nd. If I spill any beans before then, they will just change gears. Two sources already told me that CIG is monitoring my Twitter feed closely, and they're already freaking out over leaks.

All I can say is, I have the ENTIRE scoop on what they're doing with SQ42 for GamesCom. Hint: See "The Worm"

If I upgrade my account, will you PM it to me on strictest confidence? ;)

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

The Titanic posted:

If anybody cares, they can probably time MoMA, or other shills, and his "oh it'll happen before this point" to these marketing misfires, and if MoMA/others is a paid shill he's getting the same marketing material and estimates these sites are getting for their timed launches.

MoMA and others are wrong because CIG can't give an honest loving timeline to save their lives. So everybody blows their load based on CR's estimates, and when he fails, it's time to hunker down for a while while the new marketing road map is penned out by more meetings and CR getting slaps on his wildly waving hands.

Everybody is in a defensive mode right now because the last estimate was hosed up and everybody is pissed off now at them. Once they get the next set of marching orders for the next release, expect more poo poo to start appearing.

this thread sometimes lmao

his name is toast

he is a paralegal

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

TheAgent posted:

Looking forward to that cafeteria scene! :love:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

If I upgrade my account, will you PM it to me on strictest confidence? ;)

This is pretty much how the Aegis POTATO got blabbed; it was encrypted and posted in the thread, then someone flat out posted the answer in the thread, and CIG reads the thread so welp!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

The Titanic posted:

I'd advise everyone in this thread not to care enough about MoMA to make some kind of weird serial killer calendar of his actions. But otherwise yeah.