Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Razputeen
Dec 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
there's a lot of talk about how cinema discusso has threads with hundreds of replies about stuff like pacific rim, warcraft, Beavis Dodge, etc, but comparatively nothing about films that do not fit roughly under the category of nerd pop-culture flotsam. the assumption is that this is because they are dork morons who only watch these kinds of movies, and there's some truth to that, but it's more that they have only one technique with which to Critically Analyze film, and it is: What If The Good Guys Are Actually Bad. (there's also What If The Bad Guys Are Actually Good but it's really the same thing.)

tony stark is bad, the ghostbusters are bad, the new republic is bad, batman is bad. any given thread has this as its main argument, along with smaller arguments that exist solely to bolster the main argument (battle droids are people and therefore the jedi destroying them makes the jedi Bad). it's possible to write an interesting story telling events from the antagonist's perspective, but that's just it, a different story. it's not the same thing as the story we're being told.

it's easy to say iron man is Bad because he's a Weapons Contractor. those are Bad in real life. in real life, however Weapons Contractors don't personally put on battle suits and save the earth from being enslaved by aliens. that part is generally ignored because it collapses the point. worse, when there is a coherent case to be made that the movie has a reactionary political message - the latter two Dark Knight films - these elements aren't criticized as being inaccurate propaganda, but rather evidence of how the protagonist is Really Bad. because they ignore the stuff that doesn't fit, their argument boils down to batman is Bad because he used illegal surveillance, without considering that this story is entirely fictional and lots of people are going to look at it and say yes, batman used illegal surveillance, but nobody got hurt and it saved thousands of lives from an insane murderer. rather than criticizing the film for portraying the choice in this way, they prefer to praise it for its subversive message of portraying the hero as Bad even though nobody else sees it that way and it requires ignoring the practical consequences of his actions in the fictional story.

because the actions of the heroes and villains don't particularly matter except when they can be crammed into this framework, they can find themselves saying the Heroes are Bad in any circumstance including the villains killing billions of people on a whim and the heroes trying to stop them, but they really enjoy films where the Villains are Sympathetic and the Heroes are Flawed for this reason, as it makes their job a lot easier, which is why they're still so keen to jump on defending any given zach snyder fever dream where batman rapes guys in prison. but really they find it hard to apply this framework - again, their only framework- to movies where there aren't Heroes or Villains or to where the protagonist is supposed to be flawed and suffers consequences for their flaws. they have no real way to talk about these films so they are not discussed. i am gay.

Razputeen fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Aug 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Wicker Man posted:

There really is nothing new under the sun.

still no extended cinematic universe for Commando :argh:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Atomic Blonde was okay. It wasn't bad by any means, but I enjoyed Baby Driver more. Still need to see Dunkirk.

Dark Tower tonight, though. Hope it's good.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I'm trying to find some good-bad movies on Netflix, and I can't. It feels like they're dumping movies even faster than usual. They don't even have Wet Hot American Summer, while they're producing a Wet Hot American Summer series.

Netflix is bumming me out. Any great bad movies y'all can recommend that are there that I can try to catch before they drop it?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Stars Wars Rogue one is a bad movie. :v:
Police Academy

If you have Amazon Prime, that has a much better collection of 'good bad' movies.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Captain Lavender posted:

Wet Hot American Summer

I saw that movie and couldnt tell if it was a comedy or a drama. I kept waiting for the laughs but they never came. It was weird.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Captain Lavender posted:

Netflix is bumming me out.

That's the Netflix cycle. First it's great, then it's boring, then you wonder when new content will ever come out, then you cancel and watch movies elsewhere.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Jose Oquendo posted:

Stars Wars Rogue one is a bad movie. :v:
Police Academy

If you have Amazon Prime, that has a much better collection of 'good bad' movies.

Strongly considering a move. Thanks.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Blind Sally posted:

eh, there are enough reviewers who weren't terribly impressed with Dunkirk that this isn't that contrarian? a lot of criticism i've heard deals with Nolan's timeline editing and schlocky feel-good moments.

Really? everything I've read was very positive. I don't mind the timeline but my biggest problems were the characters felt really sketchily drawn, especially compared to stuff like Flags of our Fathers or Saving Private Ryan while overall it sort of just went through the usual motions of a World War 2 movie, you know the kind of thing, lots of selfless, heroic stuff where one plane comes in and saves tons of people or a 60 year old man and a 16 year old kid pack 20 men on their little hobby boat, a few scenes where the soldiers start to fight and turn on each other when things are extremely tense, a couple of brave and capable commanders to exposite to the audience, a bit of reflection on the tragedy of war, but ending with some inspirational speech about fighting for freedom in the face of overwhelming darkness, that sort of thing.

I know a lot people are arguing that Nolan wanted to concentrate on the moment to moment survival and terror of the situation that people experienced, but I think he tripped himself up by relying so much on actual hardware and eschewing CGI, usually I'd love that kind of thing but when you read about actual accounts from Dunkirk there were far more men stuck on the beaches, planes fighting in the sky for both sides and large naval vessels coming and going to Dunkirk to retrieve the army. I know its tough but I feel that the film didn't really capture that sense of scale that you get reading the history, which is a strange complaint since usually modern Hollywood gets that sort of thing down even if they fail everywhere else. The PG-13 rating might have hamstrung what they could show, certainly something as raw and horrifying as the Normandy landing in Ryan was not on the cards.

Still; there was a lot of good stuff, the scenes of boats being downed and people desperately trying to claw their way out, sometimes in pitch darkness, were really gripping. I also though Cillian Murphy did a good job in the film.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

JB50 posted:

I saw that movie and couldnt tell if it was a comedy or a drama. I kept waiting for the laughs but they never came. It was weird.

Are you sure you're thinking of the right movie? It's okay if you didn't think it's funny, but if you thought it was a drama you may have a brain tumor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ND7yJ7sMosk

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

General Dog posted:

Are you sure you're thinking of the right movie? It's okay if you didn't think it's funny

Disagree.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

so uh, dark tower is getting terrible initial reviews and response. kinda surprised and not surprised

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

I've never read the books but from what has been described to me it sounds like a very complex fantasy epic of interwoven stories and it seems to have a lot to offer.

But the movie looks like a dumb, mindless schlockfest of people shooting other people with guns until eventually a Dark Tower(tm) shoots a laser beam into the sky.

Razputeen
Dec 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

FrensaGeran posted:

I've never read the books but from what has been described to me it sounds like a very complex fantasy epic of interwoven stories and it seems to have a lot to offer.

But the movie looks like a dumb, mindless schlockfest of people shooting other people with guns until eventually a Dark Tower(tm) shoots a laser beam into the sky.

same

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Dark Tower is what happens when an author says "I need to write my own opus, an american LoTR if you will.", and then has no idea where the story is going or what is happening or where it takes place and which characters he already thought of or how to make it interesting.

King basically just vomited on a typewriter, and then about three books in decided he should diarrhea on it too.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Captain Lavender posted:

Strongly considering a move. Thanks.

Amazon Prime has Shudder as part of its channel options and Shudder has a ton of mostly-horror but also other great B movies like the BotW-reviewed Raw Force, and fantasy boobies schlock like Conquest. Some of the Shudder movies are also just included with regular Prime if you don't sub to Shudder.

loving Mystics in Bali is on Prime. Drop Netflix, it sucks outside of Stranger Things.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

King Vidiot posted:

Amazon Prime has Shudder as part of its channel options and Shudder has a ton of mostly-horror but also other great B movies like the BotW-reviewed Raw Force, and fantasy boobies schlock like Conquest. Some of the Shudder movies are also just included with regular Prime if you don't sub to Shudder.

loving Mystics in Bali is on Prime. Drop Netflix, it sucks outside of Stranger Things.

drat sounds nice. I like Bojack, and I want Arrested Development 5, but all their other originals either suck, or now-suck, and it's like they're banking entirely on them now.

BTW, Rich revealed some movie magic about the last BotW, in that he only ate about 4 Tums. But they fooled us with air-tight camera and editing tricks.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

General Dog posted:

Are you sure you're thinking of the right movie? It's okay if you didn't think it's funny, but if you thought it was a drama you may have a brain tumor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ND7yJ7sMosk

I love Paul Rudd. Him and Michael Pena were the best things in Ant Man by far.

He's in an upcoming Duncan Jones movie where he plays a mute guy, mmmkay.

e: oops it is a Skarsgaard who plays the mute

priznat fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Aug 3, 2017

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Razputeen posted:

there's a lot of talk about how cinema discusso has threads with hundreds of replies about stuff like pacific rim, warcraft, Beavis Dodge, etc, but comparatively nothing about films that do not fit roughly under the category of nerd pop-culture flotsam. the assumption is that this is because they are dork morons who only watch these kinds of movies, and there's some truth to that, but it's more that they have only one technique with which to Critically Analyze film, and it is: What If The Good Guys Are Actually Bad. (there's also What If The Bad Guys Are Actually Good but it's really the same thing.)

tony stark is bad, the ghostbusters are bad, the new republic is bad, batman is bad. any given thread has this as its main argument, along with smaller arguments that exist solely to bolster the main argument (battle droids are people and therefore the jedi destroying them makes the jedi Bad). it's possible to write an interesting story telling events from the antagonist's perspective, but that's just it, a different story. it's not the same thing as the story we're being told.

it's easy to say iron man is Bad because he's a Weapons Contractor. those are Bad in real life. in real life, however Weapons Contractors don't personally put on battle suits and save the earth from being enslaved by aliens. that part is generally ignored because it collapses the point. worse, when there is a coherent case to be made that the movie has a reactionary political message - the latter two Dark Knight films - these elements aren't criticized as being inaccurate propaganda, but rather evidence of how the protagonist is Really Bad. because they ignore the stuff that doesn't fit, their argument boils down to batman is Bad because he used illegal surveillance, without considering that this story is entirely fictional and lots of people are going to look at it and say yes, batman used illegal surveillance, but nobody got hurt and it saved thousands of lives from an insane murderer. rather than criticizing the film for portraying the choice in this way, they prefer to praise it for its subversive message of portraying the hero as Bad even though nobody else sees it that way and it requires ignoring the practical consequences of his actions in the fictional story.

because the actions of the heroes and villains don't particularly matter except when they can be crammed into this framework, they can find themselves saying the Heroes are Bad in any circumstance including the villains killing billions of people on a whim and the heroes trying to stop them, but they really enjoy films where the Villains are Sympathetic and the Heroes are Flawed for this reason, as it makes their job a lot easier, which is why they're still so keen to jump on defending any given zach snyder fever dream where batman rapes guys in prison. but really they find it hard to apply this framework - again, their only framework- to movies where there aren't Heroes or Villains or to where the protagonist is supposed to be flawed and suffers consequences for their flaws. they have no real way to talk about these films so they are not discussed. i am gay.

no it really is that they're all massive nerds, shut the gently caress up you loving idiot

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

Razputeen posted:

go gently caress yourself

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I
I watched Dunkirk today and it was amazing. I was honestly so anxious the entire time that the ending came as an actual relief.

The Imax theater I watched it in was blasting the sound, so the planes flying overhead was almost deafening.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

There's more to film that the analytical framework you try to crowbar it open with. Dummy.

Also word is The Dark Tower might be the worst movie of the year so far. Me and a friend are using it as an excuse to meet up for the first time in years, so cool.

Andro Dunos
Dec 11, 2003

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Dark Tower is what happens when an author says "I need to write my own opus, an american LoTR if you will.", and then has no idea where the story is going or what is happening or where it takes place and which characters he already thought of or how to make it interesting.

King basically just vomited on a typewriter, and then about three books in decided he should diarrhea on it too.

That's pretty much Steven King's writing habit. He's said before that he doesn't come up with an outline, doesn't keep any notes, doesn't write out character or plot ideas, or even decide how his books are going to end. He has a basic premise and just sits down and starts typing at page 1 and inserts random things whenever they come to him while he's typing and then quits once he's exhausted every scenario he can think of. That's why his stories are often so scatterbrained, meandering, endlessly reuse the same tropes, and are a thousand pages long for no reason.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Andro Dunos posted:

That's pretty much Steven King's writing habit. He's said before that he doesn't come up with an outline, doesn't keep any notes, doesn't write out character or plot ideas, or even decide how his books are going to end. He has a basic premise and just sits down and starts typing at page 1 and inserts random things whenever they come to him while he's typing and then quits once he's exhausted every scenario he can think of. That's why his stories are often so scatterbrained, meandering, endlessly reuse the same tropes, and are a thousand pages long for no reason.

Which, imo, makes them perfect to mine for movies. Take the good ideas, organize the story, keep the weird stuff.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

That's the Netflix cycle. First it's great, then it's boring, then you wonder when new content will ever come out, then you cancel and watch movies elsewhere.

TBH only reason I have Netflix at this point is I got 2 years free last year when I bought a pair of Galaxy S7s during b1g1 release TMobile had.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Amazon Prime has Rifftrax.

Also if you're tired of Netflix's old originals, GLOW is good.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I did not mind Dark Tower. It was not great, kinda mediocre, but I liked Idris Elba and Matthew McConaughey. McC as the Man in Black was quite enjoyably cheesy.

But yeah, there are pacing issues and weird edits. I have not read the books, for what it's worth.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
They're making a "Slasher Shared Universe" but not using any of the big boys like Jason and Myers. It's going to be a load of indie killers... Like Cropsy?

ENDLESS TRAAAASH

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Drunken Baker posted:

They're making a "Slasher Shared Universe" but not using any of the big boys like Jason and Myers. It's going to be a load of indie killers... Like Cropsy?

ENDLESS TRAAAASH

Looks like it's just some indie horror directors intertwining their movies. Not gonna be like Leatherface and the Cenobites.

http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/244374/exclusive-slasher-cinematic-universe-announced/

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I don't know if mentioning this counts as :filez: but you can find a ton of older b-movies on youtube, often in surprisingly good quality. Either the companies that own the rights to them have folded long ago or simply don't care, since the uploads seem to stay up for years.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I just spent 8 hours masturbating to carefully selected video compilations of Jay

You wouldn't believe the kind of material you can find of Jay on the darknet. He's an active guy

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
If you ask me the Little Twink Jay, Buff Guys from LA-series jumped the shark with the third one and they really shouldn't have pushed it to a ridiculous 10 sequels.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Zzulu posted:

I just spent 8 hours masturbating to carefully selected video compilations of Jay

You wouldn't believe the kind of material you can find of Jay on the darknet. He's an active guy

ENDLESS rear end

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Zmej posted:

so uh, dark tower is getting terrible initial reviews and response. kinda surprised and not surprised

Interesting. Might go see it tomorrow.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Try to enjoy McConnaughey and Elba, at the very least.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Sad to hear about the Dark Tower. Probably going to see it anyways because the two leads are so amazing.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Shinjobi posted:

Try to enjoy McConnaughey and Elba, at the very least.

Turns out it's not out here until next week so Valerian it is :allears::comeback:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

they really shoulda just done a gunslinger movie. it's the best of the books by a fair margin.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

they really shoulda just done a gunslinger movie. it's the best of the books by a fair margin.

Drawing of the Three is miles better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Drawing of the Three is miles better

The Drawing of the Three is a slog that introduces the two worst characters in the series.

• Locked thread