Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

BlackIronHeart posted:

This seems like A Big Deal.

It's actually legal, even if it's scummy. That's a legit path to citizenship, investing over half a million in a company and employing a certain number of american citizen. The gray area here is that they probably set up fronts to easily fit into the citizenship requirements to make it easier for millionaires to buy their greencards.

Edit: by the way, one of the proposed ideas during trump campaign was to eventually raise the amount to 700k and keep increasing it periodically. It's possible that they knew they could cash in on this business where they would be the ones to set the prices now, so basically insider trading.

nerdz fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Aug 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Cefte posted:

After years of a gentle melancholy, I now discover the cause was a lack of Randbrick posts.

poo poo yeah that was a good one. I feel satisfied by it.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

welcome to page 2000

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

BlackIronHeart posted:

Only because it's getting press this time and directly benefiting one person/group. US Citizenship has had a 'skip the line' system since practically forever for people like au pairs, nannies, and foreign national geniuses sponsored by corporations, it's just never been this blatant or self-serving.

It's also not new in this respect: http://www.pbs.org/newshour/updates/chinese-millionaires-buy-u-s-citizenship/

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

BlackIronHeart posted:

Pretty sure there was an NPR story on this a month or so ago.

Again no one (see congress) takes trump to task over it so he and his family/staff do as they see fit with no repercussions

Caros
May 14, 2008

BlackIronHeart posted:

Not really. There is a visa program that Kushner's company took advantage of. I mean, in any normal world he'd have to sell the business because of just the appearance of a conflict of interest, but on the trump scale this is like a weak 3/10. Legal, but lovely.

Sandeep
Mar 27, 2002

I should be working on Summoner 3 instead of engaging in political discussions

BlackIronHeart posted:

I'm not sure, it looks like a perfectly legal deal using a lovely loophole in our immigration code.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/892810668604366853

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/yashar/status/892931333621768192

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

There can be only one..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUHtJJ1Fgjs

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Sandeep posted:

I'm not sure, it looks like a perfectly legal deal using a lovely loophole in our immigration code.

I'm fine with a "invest a hilarious amount of money to help our economy and create jobs" free pass to getting a green card, as long as its not taking away a slot from the green card lottery. The issue here is Trump's family encouraging them to invest in their business instead of many other options.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

mdemone posted:

poo poo yeah that was a good one. I feel satisfied by it.

Wittiness still is a goon quality.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

From Mooch memo

quote:

Comms need to humanize POTUS and burnish his image. For example, POTUS is the best golfer to serve as President. Perhaps, we embrace it with a national online lottery to play a round of golf with him….or a charity auction. POTUS has a funny and irreverent side which was shared with the electorate during the campaign

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Those had to have been the biggest numbers they could find, too. Two hundred bucks was in the top three.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I assume she will get disappeared soon

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

nerdz posted:

It's actually legal, even if it's scummy... one of the proposed ideas during trump campaign was to eventually raise the amount to 700k and keep increasing it periodically.
Maybe this why the conversation has suddenly gone from "illegal immigration bad!” to just "immigration bad!” If you make an in-demand product harder to get, you can raise the price.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Yeah holy poo poo, why aren't people posting more from that memo? It's loving unbelievable:

quote:

Scaramucci's ideas for the new gig ran the gamut from the traditional — "identify and engage a broader network of surrogates/validators to make TV appearances, write op-eds, etc" to the unconventional — an online lottery to play golf with Trump and reality-show-based "video content that constructively operates as 'The President Donald J. Trump' show."

A number of these ideas suggest bypassing the traditional, mainstream media in order to appeal straight to the base. In the memo, Scaramucci calls this "the refined Roger Ailes theory," in which the White House would "exercise influence over the news cycle because POTUS and the government make news—(i.e. do things on a daily basis that matter). An effective Comms shop will dictate the news of the day on most days."

He actually has some (sadly) effective strategy in all the lunacy, I have no idea why Trump doesn't have a media team producing daily "meme-able" moments. Everyone knows they would be huge and would overshadow his fuckups. If idiot 9 year olds can do it on Vine, why can't Trump?

edit: actually I retract calling it lunacy. I read more...and I'm sorry folks but the mooch's plan is an actually a very good strategy all said and done, i seriously hope they don't do it

the black husserl fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Aug 3, 2017

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

the black husserl posted:

He actually has some (sadly) effective strategy in all the lunacy, I have no idea why Trump doesn't have a media team producing daily "meme-able" moments. Everyone knows they would be huge and would overshadow his fuckups. If idiot 9 year olds can do it on Vine, why can't Trump?

Because he's so loving rotten he can't even successfully buy loyalty.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

If idiot 9 year olds can do it on Vine, why can't Trump?

Indeed.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Yeah holy poo poo, why aren't people posting more from that memo? It's loving unbelievable:

Trump is only 7. Give him a couple more years.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I would say the closest he came was the time he took a picture with a taco bowl that said "I love Hispanics!" While I think the amount of backfired racist memes that would come out of that White House would be amazing, I'm sure whichever adults are in the room have already shut that idea down.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

You might want to check out how vine is doing these days

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

The only thing for them to do is to support regime change in the US congress.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/lucianwintrich/status/891445109929246720

Native Americans

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Who is this? Seems familiar

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

That a Cleveland hat? Because lol that's perfect.

JailTrump
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
The thread below this one may be the worst thread In the history of these drat forums.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
One of James O'Keefe's former minions is having a Twitter meltdown because she thinks her tire was slashed. Nobody believes get because it's obviously old, rotted, and blew out. It has a 2011 date on it. Lots of tweets on her timeline about it. Fun.

https://twitter.com/LauraLoomer/status/892839367550672896

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

JailTrump posted:

The thread below this one may be the worst thread In the history of these drat forums.

Don't the threads kinda...move around?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Didn't this gently caress spend 4000$ at a Donnie hotel for a a giant lovely lobster?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

My new favorite tweet

https://twitter.com/LauraLoomer/status/892924675566600192

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

You might want to check out how vine is doing these days

What are you trying to say here? Vine had billions of views, millions of users, and legit stars making big $$$. It shut down because Twitter couldn't monetize it, not because it wasn't an effective media platform. That's my point: mooch's idea of effective media is...accurate.

Here's something else I really hope they don't do:

quote:

a group dedicated to serving as a PR department for POTUS and his family members. Comms need to humanize POTUS and burnish his image. For example, POTUS is the best golfer to serve as President. Perhaps, we embrace it with a national online lottery to play a round of golf with him….or a charity auction. POTUS has a funny and irreverent side which was shared with the electorate during the campaign.

I think "funny Trump" would legit win over a lot of people :(

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

:laffo: I've spent more money on Killing the Animals

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

TheScott2K posted:

Don't the threads kinda...move around?

Checks out.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

edit: actually I retract calling it lunacy. I read more...and I'm sorry folks but the mooch's plan is an actually a very good strategy all said and done, i seriously hope they don't do it

it's not a strategy. 95% of the memo is communications 101.

it's almost identical to the kind of document that political staffers deliver to interns so they don't accidentally cause a public relations crisis. i'm having vivid flashbacks.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

White Cadillac, white man at the wheel,
White faces on the mountain,
Wounds that will never heal
Black clouds overhead, old man says
Looks like rain
Thieves' Road winds to the Black Hills sign
Says South Dakota, U.S.A.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Teddybear posted:

Trump emphatically denies calling the White House a dump, tempts fate that somebody recorded it:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/892920397162848257

So now he's pissed at Golf Digest Monthly or whatever?

"Arnold Palmer still a big lush! Cover feature is FAKE NEWS!"

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

QuoProQuid posted:

it's not a strategy. 95% of the memo is communications 101.

it's almost identical to the kind of document political staffers deliver to interns so they don't accidentally cause a public relations crisis. i'm having vivid flashbacks.

I gotta disagree. There are plenty of recommendations that are specific to Trump and even though none of them are profound or original (most of them are designed to appeal to idiots), I fear many of them would be very effective. Like this:

quote:

a) “it’s the economy stupid” should be “it’s the Trump economy.” The media (and the voters) will make POTUS own the economy (which is doing very well) if it goes the other way, so he should own it now. Comms needs to emphasis the economy early and often

b) The message should be that businesses are investing more and creating more jobs because they have confidence. The source of their confidence is the election of a successful businessman to the Presidency. Obama bred uncertainty amongst the business community. Trump breeds confidence. Confidence=more jobs. Would the stock market have galloped from election day to year end 2016 if HRC had won? Of course, not.

When the media or Democrats attack POTUS, Comms should pivot to the economy. For example, real Americans do not care about palace intrigue in the White House. POTUS is leading and fostering an economy that makes their lives better. That’s what real people care about.

Like, I have no clue why they aren't hammering that last message. Seems obvious that it would work, it killed it for Reagan and I don't think times have changed that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

• Locked thread