Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

They can all lic my cubes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
LOL at The Bachelor/ette being a sports broadcasting feeder system.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Gonna paitently wait for this to inevitably morph into actual unironic bachelorette discussion because I have some takes, y'all

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

kittenmittons posted:

The only reason he's there is he's Aaron's brother. Nothing more, nothing less. That's the only reason he made it onto that show in the first place.

There's a reason why Aaron has largely disowned his family. It's because holy gently caress do they go "LOOK, I'M AARON RODGERS'S <relative>" a lot for attention.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
It's actually because Aaron Rodgers is a huge turd

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MourningView posted:

Gonna paitently wait for this to inevitably morph into actual unironic bachelorette discussion because I have some takes, y'all

Give them to us :munch:

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

KKKLIP ART posted:

I could see Les as a stop gap to get through NCAA sanctions. He ran a clean enough ship at LSU that I don't ever remember hearing of them on any NCAA related radar. I mean, they were totally cheating but hid it well enough to give a squeaky clean appearance.

So Ole Miss next year then?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

DJExile posted:

Give them to us :munch:

Mostly related to Bryan, the extremely handsome chiropractor who seems like he's probably gonna win, resembling the sort of dude who tries to pick up girls at high school volleyball games and/or has a weird sex dungeon somewhere in his house. I'm so disappointed in Rachel

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Holy poo poo, I missed Musburger retiring? Thank goodness.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

swickles posted:

So Ole Miss next year then?

That's what I'm saying. They could hire him at Ole Miss knowing he would just be a 2 or 3 year guy just to get the athletic department through the worst of the NCAA punishment.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Probably Magic posted:

It wasn't so much him retiring as much as ESPN shoving him off to the side to cover lovely SEC games.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

iospace posted:

It wasn't so much him retiring as much as ESPN shoving him off to the side to cover lovely SEC games.

I don't hate Musberger, but I never liked him as much as some did. All in all I'm glad he's going to go to Vegas and gamble as much as he wants.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

General Dog posted:

Ara Parseghian, Rudy's coach from the film Rudy, based on true* events, died today at 94.

It sucks when legendary coaches die but he gave birth to the legend of Rudy who in actuality was a complete rear end in a top hat (and offsides)

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

iospace posted:

Yeah Muss was quietly stashed on SEC Network games for a couple years

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

kittenmittons posted:

He wasn't even THE Bachelor. Just a contestant on The Bachelorette. :sad:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

iospace posted:

Eh, some of it was them moving on but I think they also wanted to add some legitimacy to the network after they spent a shitload of money on it and having a legendary broadcaster as the lead play by play guy the first few years was a good way to do it

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Probably Magic posted:

Last game ever was a Georgia/Kentucky basketball game of all things. (Game was pretty good – went to overtime – but still.)

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
A friend of a friend was The Bachelor, apparently it's a pretty weird show.

Also, you've gotta give up watching football to film it, since it's all fall long.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

AsInHowe posted:

Also, you've gotta give up watching football to film it, since it's all fall long.

If I were the bachelor I'd make my destination dates football games. gently caress that they gotta have time to let you watch a game if you're the title dude.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

General Dog posted:

Ara Parseghian, Rudy's coach from the film Rudy, based on true* events, died today at 94.

DJExile posted:

I betcha that was a demand from Disney because #branding

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

The Notorious ZSB posted:

If I were the bachelor I'd make my destination dates football games. gently caress that they gotta have time to let you watch a game if you're the title dude.

He doesn't have that kind of control, you just have to go with the flow, while also being completely disconnected from everyone.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

AsInHowe posted:

It definitely is if Sarah Gertrude Shapiro is to be believed. The first season of UnREAL was dope.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Marty Smith is getting his own show too I believe. I like that dude

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

There are a billion interchangeable, boring, handsome white dudes they can replace you with, if you want to get away from your job as a personal trainer small business owner and get those sweet sweet instagram followers I think you just do whatever they tell you too and pretend you're super stoked to go to Norway in the middle of winter.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Aug 3, 2017

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

SYNERGY!!!!!

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

MourningView posted:

Mostly related to Bryan, the extremely handsome chiropractor who seems like he's probably gonna win, resembling the sort of dude who tries to pick up girls at high school volleyball games and/or has a weird sex dungeon somewhere in his house. I'm so disappointed in Rachel

I paid almost zero attention to The Bachelorette, as I do with every dating game show that doesn't star Flava Flav, but I did read the recaps every week waiting to watch a clip of a racist rear end in a top hat getting his poo poo kicked in.

It never happened. :/

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
The best Bachelor was that show Joe Millionaire where they put this guy up in front of all these women and pretended he was poor but guess what he's actually a millionaire!

He was dumb as gently caress but in an endearing way. Like when he told the one girl with huge boobs "I really like your breast...uh I mean dress" and it was completely legitimate.

His thing was that he had a construction company that wound up being really successful or something. The show people told the women he was just a construction worker.

Good show.

e: upon further review I got that backward. He was actually just a construction worker but they told the women he was a millionaire.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

DC Murderverse posted:

I paid almost zero attention to The Bachelorette, as I do with every dating game show that doesn't star Flava Flav, but I did read the recaps every week waiting to watch a clip of a racist rear end in a top hat getting his poo poo kicked in.

It never happened. :/

It was really obvious no one was actually gonna hit him and they were just playing dumb editing games but it did not stop me from rooting for the pro wrestler (by far the most likable person on the show, I miss him terribly) to give him a stone cold stunner.

They did at one point have a mud wrestling challenge that seemed set up entirely to give that guy an excuse to give people wrestling moves, and it was great.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
Sometimes, there are players that excel on the field but also have the easily-told story that makes them fan favorites.

https://twitter.com/BadgerFootball/status/892886982996762624

love my large Brazilian kicker

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Ara Parseghian literally coached Northwestern to a #1 loving ranking in the entire country then he beat Notre Dame which humiliated them so badly that they hired him.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I thought joe millionaire was where the dude was like a construction worker and they said he was totally loaded.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the best lovely early-2000s reality shows were the Joe Schmo Show and the Fox one that was a parody of the The Apprentice where the secret twist that was that the boss was a literal ape.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

KKKLIP ART posted:

I thought joe millionaire was where the dude was like a construction worker and they said he was totally loaded.

Yeah, but I think there was also a twist at the end that if after finding out he was just a construction worker (and also a former underwear model in Cali...), if she still wanted to be with him, they'd get a check for $1million.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS
Les Miles would be cool. The last time Ole Miss hired an SEC retread it worked out great!

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Saucer Crab posted:

I'm sure it was a memorable experience.

Bravo.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

R.D. Mangles posted:

the best lovely early-2000s reality shows were the Joe Schmo Show and the Fox one that was a parody of the The Apprentice where the secret twist that was that the boss was a literal ape.

No one, ever, in human history has been more confused about what was happening to him than the first Joe Schmo

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Sash! posted:

No one, ever, in human history has been more confused about what was happening to him than the first Joe Schmo

He kinda half-heartedly played along after they revealed they'd been loving with him, but you could tell he was really hurt by the whole thing.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Anybody remember Superstar USA, which was basically the Joe Schmo show but with American Idol? No? It's okay, you didn't miss much.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

lmao, northwestern fired parseghian because the dumbfuck AD was pissed that he wouldn't play his scrub walkon son

quote:

"He articulated to the staff that he did not want to leave here," Fitzgerald said Wednesday by telephone, hours after learning Parseghian had died at 94. "I can only imagine where our program would have gone if the university had had the foresight to keep Ara."

Think about it: In 1962, Northwestern went to the Horseshoe at Ohio State, gave up a touchdown on the opening kickoff and still thumped Woody Hayes' sixth-ranked Buckeyes 18-14. The next week, the Wildcats throttled Notre Dame 35-6, and then they took out Indiana.

Paul Flatley was there. A star flanker who called Parseghian "the most important person in my life," he summarized that stretch with a question, as if not even he could believe it: "Six-and-0 and No. 1 … at Northwestern?"

Yes, the Wildcats were No. 1 in the AP poll with an innovative, up-tempo, pass-happy offense decades ahead of its time.

Yet by the end of the following season, Parseghian felt unsupported by athletic director Stu Holcomb. He and his assistant coaches once had to dip into their own wallets to buy paint for the locker room. Friends say Parseghian read a comment in a newspaper story in which Holcomb said Northwestern might not renew his contract.

And there was something else: Holcomb had a son on the team, a walk-on, whom Parseghian would not play.

That 1962 team finished 7-2, its thin roster suffering late in the season. His 1963 team went 5-4.

An ESPN.com story Wednesday said Parseghian grew tired of "student apathy" in Evanston, but Flatley didn't see that, saying the student body was enthusiastic.

The coach who went 4-0 against Notre Dame and beat Hayes again in his final game left because of a conflict with his boss.

So he went to South Bend and woke up the echoes. He won two national championships and beat Northwestern nine times in nine tries.

"We kicked Notre Dame's rear end four years in a row, and then they hired him," Flatley said. "They were no dummies."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

R.D. Mangles posted:

I love hearing about dumb-poo poo reality shows. They are wonderful.

Did anyone watch Whodunnit? I'll always have fond memories of that one because my wife and I randomly turned it on after our wedding and it was the stupidest thing either of us had ever seen. It was like Clue mixed with the Mole, but when you got eliminated you got murdered. Anywell, I just checked its Wikipedia article.

Wikipedia posted:

After the first episode aired, some audience members at home were confused about whether the murders were actually real. On the official website, the series' producers reveal fun facts about each episode, describing in more detail how the staged murder scenes were shot. In addition, viewers can watch exit interviews with the eliminated guests. Beginning with the second episode, each episode has ended with that week's "victim" (the guest eliminated the previous week), still in makeup and costume, humorously commenting on what it was like to play the role of the killer's victim. Executive producer Zuiker confirmed that this was added in post-production in response to the unexpected confusion in order to reemphasize the fictitious nature of the premise.

loving :laffo: How goddamned stupid is America?

• Locked thread