Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

As you can see, if you want a decent yolk you're gonna have to pre-boil. David Chang lied, eggs died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Steve Yun posted:

Anova is the worst!

Original malfunctioning unit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWSzrWhJ8gs

First replacement:

Second replacement:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7XZAguc5bE

edit: currently waiting to hear back from them about this latest one

Anova is the best! They're sending me a THIRD replacement and told me to throw away this unit instead of sending it back. It has a busted scroll wheel. I'd connect to it using wifi but I think the wifi is busted on it too, so it's stuck at one temperature forever. Soon I will have three Anovas. One bluetooth which I bought on sale as my second circulator, one wifi refurb in the mail, and this third busted one that only cooks at 140°F. I guess I can use it to make 72 hour shortribs or something while I concurrently sous vide a steak at 130 and carrots at 183

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Aug 1, 2017

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Have you tried connecting via Bluetooth to the WiFi one? Maybe that works, should be a separate receiver.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
It wouldn't. I'm gonna try again when I get home, someone on their FAQ said sometimes it helps to delete the app and reinstall it

Edit: wifi works! But not having physical controls is making me irrationally annoyed.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Aug 2, 2017

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Sooooooooo i'm finally going to get a sous vizzeler and I don't know if I should get the anova or the joule. Thoughts?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Sooooooooo i'm finally going to get a sous vizzeler and I don't know if I should get the anova or the joule. Thoughts?

Joule is app only, no physical controls. That’s a deal breaker for me, but ymmv. It otherwise has a smaller profile and seems great. Though I’ve seen much better deals on the annova lately.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Anova pros:
- cheap ($100-109)
- physical controls, screen
- customer service will replace it even if you're two years out of warranty

Joule pros:
- waterproof
- magnetic bottom
- smaller
- water gets sucked up from below and spat out above, making it work in shallower water theoretically
- more powerful
- voice control if you have an Amazon Echo
- probably going to last longer due to lack of physical controls and exposure of electrical parts

Either one should work fine. I've just married into the Anova because I've already sawed custom holes into a bunch of cambro lids and I don't want to have to have two sets of lids for Anovas and Joules

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Aug 2, 2017

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I'm on my 3rd Anova, the new ones don't seem to handle steam very well for a device that's supposed to spend hours in hot water.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

uPen posted:

the new ones don't seem to handle steam very well for a device that's supposed to spend hours in hot water.

This is definitely true. The saving grace is that they'll replace it for free if you say 'uh... my anova is broke and I think steam did it.'

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I wonder if making a foam collar would keep steam out of the vents

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Yall just need to get the cooler thing I've posted. Very little water loss and steam out of the hole.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

My butcher had pork belly for 2 bucks a lb so I loaded up.

I've only done pork belly at 170 for 10 hours and then torched. Ended up like a nice braised belly.

Have any of you had good luck with other times and temps?

Probably going to bag the first batch with some black garlic soy and mirin marinade.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Norns posted:

I've only done pork belly at 170 for 10 hours and then torched. Ended up like a nice braised belly.

Probably going to bag the first batch with some black garlic soy and mirin marinade.

We won't be able to trust your opinion. You need second party confirmation. What's your address again?

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

uPen posted:

I'm on my 3rd Anova, the new ones don't seem to handle steam very well for a device that's supposed to spend hours in hot water.

The old ones didn't either. I lost 2 originals (1 tripping gfci and one error message) to steam and I'm suspicious that steam getting into the scroll wheel caused some temporary weird behavior on the new one.

Like sure their support is generous in a sense but at the rate they fail... :shrug:

Steve Yun posted:

I wonder if making a foam collar would keep steam out of the vents

I have a shred of foil lying around I mash into a collar and lay a dishrag over that, seems to work fine for hotter or longer cooks.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
I did pork belly for 12 hours at 165 if I recall. Then straight into ice bath and chilled completely. Then just seared up in a pan. There was a food wishes episode about belly. Pretty much like that except the main cook.

I would say it was the best thing I've ever had out of the puddler so far. I'm also interested in hearing different ways to prepare though.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Would it be possible to puddle skin-on pork belly, chill it, then broil it to puff up the skin so you have the best of both worlds? Crackling and super tender fatty pork belly?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I'm sous viding baby backs for 8 people in a few days, but I only have one Joule and not enough room to do them all at once. What's the strategy here?

Also, if I want to use barbecue sauce, should I add it in the bag or just after? I'm finishing on the grill.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

PRADA SLUT posted:

I'm sous viding baby backs for 8 people in a few days, but I only have one Joule and not enough room to do them all at once. What's the strategy here?

Also, if I want to use barbecue sauce, should I add it in the bag or just after? I'm finishing on the grill.

Just cook them one after the other, ice bath when done, and chill in the fridge. Barbecue sauce is just surface treatment so just paint it on when you're finishing on the grill, which should be hot enough to bring them up to eating temp from their time in the fridge.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

PRADA SLUT posted:

Do half of them in the oven using Meathead's "oven sauna ribs" recipe and turn dinner into a taste test between sous vide and oven ribs

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
If I chill them overnight, do I just throw them on the grill cold, or bring them to room temp first?

I may do chicken legs as well, but I run into the problem of crisping the skin from a chill.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Norns posted:

Cook some at 145 for 8-48 hours. Ice bath, slice, and pan fry for delicious crispy, tender pork belly. Works better when slices are thicker.

(I'm just restating what you do for bacon sous vide http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/11/overnight-sous-vide-bacon-recipe.html)

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Thanks for the recs on machines. I don't mind app only, so I'll probably go with the Joule. Also it will tip me over into finally getting an echo.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Feenix posted:

I believe SV Jesus aka Kenji Alt-J Lopez has even suggested using its own packaging.

Glottis posted:

Sous Visus?

He is always watching

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Thanks for the recs on machines. I don't mind app only, so I'll probably go with the Joule. Also it will tip me over into finally getting an echo.

I have the following:
(Anova One refurb, since the touchscreen on the original broke. I gave it to a friend later.)
Anova Precision Bluetooth
Joule
Nomiku wifi

Of the three the Joule is still my favorite. The Joule's spring clip hooks onto my stock pot more securely than the Anova P-BT and the Nomiku, and the unit is small enough that I just wrap up the cord around it and toss it in the drawer when I'm done. Nomiku's clamp hooks onto the front of the pot with the screen facing you, and it has a bit of wiggle to it when you try to push the membrane buttons on the face of the controls. Both Joule and Nomiku draw water in from the bottom, but Joule ejects the heated water midway up (3"?) its front face, and Nomiku ejects out each side about 2" from its base. The screw clamp on the Anova P-BT is still the best option for when I'm using the stacker-cooler to cook large cuts of meat though, since I can aim it in any direction, and the screw clamp is rock solid when attached to the thick cooler wall.

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
Oh poo poo it's happening! I'm doing it! I'm buying a Joule! I have two questions:

1. Connectivity! I have a garbage first-gen moto X android phone. Am I gonna have a lot of trouble connecting to the Joule?

2. Has anyone tried sous vide portobello mushrooms?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
If it loses connection after it starts, it just keeps running as it was.

The app just starts it and then runs a timer to alert you when to turn it off. You don't need a connection in between those events.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think mushrooms would really benefit from SV.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Plinkey posted:

Yeah, if anything you want to cook mushrooms in an environment where water can evaporate off, otherwise you get really mushy shrooms.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Plinkey posted:

A restaurant here does sous vide to marinade and then finishes them off on the grill.

They are loving amazing,

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

swickles posted:

Yeah, if anything you want to cook mushrooms in an environment where water can evaporate off, otherwise you get really mushy shrooms.

Plus there's not really anything in them for SV to do it's transformative magic on.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
A man SV'd his pizza, let this guy SV a mushroom if he wants.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Third Anova replacement arrived. It's Bluetooth and Canadian and seems to work alright.

I have learned that Anova kinda expects you to only have one Anova in your life, ever. If you get a new anova for whatever reason, the app will not pair with the new one and you have to delete it and reinstall it to make it work with the new Anova.

Dear Penthouse, I never thought it would happen to me, but

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Aug 6, 2017

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
Alright lol I'll try SV Shrooms sometime and report back. In other news, the Joule came in! I cooked my first thing with it! All we had in the kitchen was frozen chicken breasts so I thawed two of those and cooked them at 158F for 55 minutes. They came out perfect, very white and flaky and juicy. Tomorrow we're getting groceries and I'm gonna stock up on cheap steaks and pork chops to run through this thing.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

The only SV shrooms I've done were the :shroom: kind and that went really well.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I'd try anything to make magic mushrooms taste better

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Norns posted:

I'd try anything to make magic mushrooms taste better

honey yo

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Hauki posted:

honey yo

i like adding actual tea to mask the flavour

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
Sooo here's a noob-rear end question!

I'm doing a 24 hours soak of two Top Round steaks I bought today. Seems to be going well so far (six hours in), but in the past hour I've noticed some small white chunks on the surface of the steak that weren't there before. That's just fat, right? It's almost certainly not anything else because it's before the steak's best-by date and it's only seasoned with a teaspoon of Worcestershire. Just want to make sure before I serve one of these to my girlfriend (I'm neurotic)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Yeah when you marinate in the fridge you often get those

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
Okay cool, I didn't marinate in the fridge but it was sitting in the fridge for a day. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't Space AIDS on my steak.