Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

skyrim works really good with a controller on pc, for what its worth

Yeah, I really just wanted a big pretty open world game to play on my new TV and for some reason I had a hankering to do some RPGing and I saw Skyrim remastered was on sale for $30, I'll probably move on to Horizon after this because I hear it's pretty as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Horizon is Skyrim if it was also Mass Effect. And Monster Hunter. It's great!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Horizon is Skyrim if it was also Mass Effect. And Monster Hunter. It's great!

If I hadn't already played and liked this game, this post would ensure I never play it.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Randaconda posted:

There's a nice controller mod for it, too. I use it and think it's better than the vanilla controller.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/1177/

I made one too, it's not nearly as different from vanilla - or as over-engineered as the one above.

Also, regarding mods with keyboard shortcuts: You can disable the controller, set your keyboard shortcuts, re-enable your controller, and still use keyboard shortcuts.

PS I dont follow sports but your avatar makes me chuckle every time.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Agents are GO! posted:

I made one too, it's not nearly as different from vanilla - or as over-engineered as the one above.

Also, regarding mods with keyboard shortcuts: You can disable the controller, set your keyboard shortcuts, re-enable your controller, and still use keyboard shortcuts.

PS I dont follow sports but your avatar makes me chuckle every time.

If you start, don't become a Jaguars fan. :smith:

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!

skyrim works really good with a controller on pc, for what its worth

How can a controller compare for a mouse + keyboard for an FPS game?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Dejawesp posted:

the s in fps stands for shooter

skyrim isnt a shooter so it works great

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

the s in fps stands for shooter

skyrim isnt a shooter so it works great
two out of three character archetypes (bow man and wizard man) primarily focus on shooting, with a little crosshair and a focus on player skill. Skyrim is de facto a shooter.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

two out of three character archetypes (bow man and wizard man) primarily focus on shooting, with a little crosshair and a focus on player skill. Skyrim is de facto a shooter.
i was being facetious to the other guy who looked like he was about to make a "mouse and keyboard ONLY :viggo:" argument

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
first person skyrim

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

First-Person Skooma :catdrugs:

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

i was being facetious to the other guy who looked like he was about to make a "mouse and keyboard ONLY :viggo:" argument

Na different strokes and all that but FPS games tend to favor mouse and keyboard a lot.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Skyrim is slow and also not multiplayer so if someone wanted to play it via bananas more power to them imho

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Agents are GO! posted:

First-Person Skooma :catdrugs:

The only correct way to play a TES game imo.

Frankly, that's TES:Legends greatest failing. You can't hop up all your catmans on moon sugar.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

KakerMix posted:

Skyrim is slow and also not multiplayer so if someone wanted to play it via bananas more power to them imho

I do have a controller but I only ever used it for emulated old console games or the new release of FF7. I used to be a fervent supporter of keyboard+mouse dominance. Until I tried to play FF7 with it :v:

Dejawesp fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jul 31, 2017

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Is there a good anti aliasing solution for Skyrim SE? All my grass just blends together. There's no definition to anything. I've tried TAA and Nvidia DSR, which is better but still not great. Sharpening effects through Reshape don't seem to help much either.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Cat Mattress posted:

first person skyrim

: elder saints: the fifth

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Is there an SSE mod that will stop NPCs from bumping into me? (during dialog or when I'm the edge of a cliff) I googled and found the question posted many times and some answers but they they are all oldrim and none of the mods actually say they will stop that.

Dejawesp posted:

Some noob bandits about to get pwned by your sick mouse and keyboard skills. amirite :smug:

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

wormil posted:

Is there an SSE mod that will stop NPCs from bumping into me? (during dialog or when I'm the edge of a cliff) I googled and found the question posted many times and some answers but they they are all oldrim and none of the mods actually say they will stop that.
Probably enabling Vsync.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

I must be weird in that I play Skyrim, and all Bethesda games that it's possible to do so in, in third person.

edit: I mean, it was actually a bit weird to hear it described as first-person since I almost forgot that it's the default.

Luceo fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jul 31, 2017

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Luceo posted:

I must be weird in that I play Skyrim, and all Bethesda games that it's possible to do so in, in third person.

edit: I mean, it was actually a bit weird to hear it described as first-person since I almost forgot that it's the default.

Morrowind third person is hard mode.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
I always ended up fighting in first person and traveling in third. Part of me always feels like I get lower fps in third person, even if I don't... but I feel like I do, because reasons.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

I play the game first person with Enhanced Camera, but it becomes instinctive to use the mouse wheel to zoom out to get "situational awareness" now and then, especially when traveling or trying to find stuff obscured by foliage.

Does anyone here use Mod Organizer v2 with LE? Work on MO seems to have stopped, it's been "almost done" for months now. I know some people use the MO v2 beta with SSE, I'm wondering if it works well with LE and if so, if there's any differences worth upgrading.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

MO is not going to be updated, Nexus hired the dude to remake NMM.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Agents are GO! posted:

MO is not going to be updated, Nexus hired the dude to remake NMM.

Yeah, but the almost-finished MO2 is still out there

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474
Jan 12, 2006

eat your vegetables dot com
I haven't played this game since being disappointed by it at launch, but thought I'd pick it up now that enough years have passed for mods to fix anything I hated. I kinda figured I could pick up the DLC for a game this old on the cheap, but holy poo poo it's $45 total on Steam.

Are those commonly on sale or anything? Frankly, I'm not about to drop $45 on a game I'm gonna have to put together myself; I'll just play NV again.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
MO is still under development FYI. It's been taken over by a small team, their discord is somewhat active.

Seems like Tannin mostly left the project undocumented, though.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474 posted:

I haven't played this game since being disappointed by it at launch, but thought I'd pick it up now that enough years have passed for mods to fix anything I hated. I kinda figured I could pick up the DLC for a game this old on the cheap, but holy poo poo it's $45 total on Steam.

Are those commonly on sale or anything? Frankly, I'm not about to drop $45 on a game I'm gonna have to put together myself; I'll just play NV again.

It'll probably drop during either the Fall sale or the Christmas sale. Special Edition is only 40 and includes all the DLC and looks and runs better. Mods that need SKSE don't work, but most of the others have been ported. I can't remember how much Skyrim was when I bought it during a free weekend, but I think was $15.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Yeah Skyrim goes on massive discounts during steam sales.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I just bought SSE for PC a month or two ago, $20 maybe, on sale. After playing Skyrim on 360 to completion about half a dozen times, and another half dozen partial plays; it's nice having mods and extra content. I should have switched to PC a long time ago. I was also going to buy Fallout 4 but the game + DLC is $80.

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474
Jan 12, 2006

eat your vegetables dot com
Cool. Assuming it's similar in price to just the DLC, SE is definitely the way to go? I don't want to run into compatibility issues.

wormil posted:

I just bought SSE for PC a month or two ago, $20 maybe, on sale. After playing Skyrim on 360 to completion about half a dozen times, and another half dozen partial plays; it's nice having mods and extra content. I should have switched to PC a long time ago. I was also going to buy Fallout 4 but the game + DLC is $80.

Game's bad. If you want a great, affordable modding experience, pick up New Vegas GOTY edition.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cool. Assuming it's similar in price to just the DLC, SE is definitely the way to go? I don't want to run into compatibility issues.

Game's bad. If you want a great, affordable modding experience, pick up New Vegas GOTY edition.

yes, SSE is the way to go, you get a pretty good slate of mods and skse will be along at some point to provide the rest.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Nth'ing get Special Edition. Massively, massively more stability and better performance. For example: Open Cities! Running this mod on Oldrim causes my framerates to drop up to 50%. On SE, it's literally zero performance hit.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Really? Literally everything I've read says the exact opposite.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

wormil posted:

I don't hate FO4 or think it's a bad game, but yeah, New Vegas is much, much better.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

sebmojo posted:

yes, SSE is the way to go, you get a pretty good slate of mods and skse will be along at some point to provide the rest.

I thought skse was essential to some of the really good mods in Skyrim, like SkyUI. Did they fix the compressed audio/music tracks SSE had at release?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

wormil posted:

Then you must be posting from bizzaro-verse.

Randaconda posted:

I don't hate FO4 or think it's a bad game, but yeah, New Vegas is much, much better.

This. Im actually playing through FO4 for the first time, because I have like 500 hours in new vegas.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Node posted:

I thought skse was essential to some of the really good mods in Skyrim, like SkyUI. Did they fix the compressed audio/music tracks SSE had at release?

Early versions of skyui work fine its just the ... hotkeys? that dont.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Agents are GO! posted:

^ ^ ^
That should be linked in the OP, GunnerJ.

It is now!

Syd Midnight posted:

I've never seen a really comprehensive step-by-step for the entire "install Skyrim -> install MO -> install mods -> [?] -> play Skyrim" process. I'd like to make one, putting together all my how-to.txt files. I applied to the goon wiki but it looks dead. Is it worth putting any effort into?

The Wiki is only as dead as my attentiveness to it and goons' collective will to update it. I've approved your application though (that sounds to formal, lol). Mostly I don't think to check unless someone posts in here about it. On that note...

It's no secret that I have been slow to make important updates to the OP. For a while, what I wanted to do is put effort into offloading as much OP content to the wiki as possible so that this resource does not rely on one person updating one OP. At that point, the wiki becomes the most up-to-date and easily-updated version of the guide in the OP, in case I become even less able to keep up with new developments.

Also, is there any goon who answers to the name Denis Silva? Got an application from this person with no details beyond that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Man I know this isn't the Skyrim thread proper, but playing through it again, while also playing Witcher 3 concurrently, I figured out why these games are just so, like, not compelling apart from the gameplay and the progression stuff for me.

I can't name like a single memorable or fleshed out character in this game. Everyone is just variations of "stern/proud/angry" and is just there to move the plot along or get betrayed or something, whereas everyone in the witcher has a real personality that comes across.

There are a few exceptions, and some interesting plots like the Dark Brotherhood (If I remember right, it's been awhile since I did it), but like I literally think Belethor The Pawn Shop Guy has more personality than 90% of the NPCs in this game. And I mean that genuinely, he's a smug prick and he makes racist jokes about buying your relatives if you're Khajiit. Pretty sure he already has a more developed personality than like Delphine Jend ever does.

It's just a shame because I still love seeing the different towns, I think the towns have great design and the gameplay is fine especially when modded, but man I wish they had better writers.