Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Shooting Blanks posted:

The book World War Z covers stranded astronauts. It's not tied to TWD at all, but it was a fun read.

Actually re-reading it currently. Fantastic book.
Finished the chapter about the pups last night. :3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Tenzarin posted:

Garbage people are coming back.
I'm still not sure why they were even in the season at all since all they did was make Rick do some errands for them and then side with Negan. Story wise that was pointless because we already established that the Saviors have a ton of people on their side already. Why do they even need the Trash People?

If they are coming back I'm guessing that Rick turns them against Negan somehow

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
They'll double double cross Rick

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

If my vague recollection of the comic is correct, isn't the whole thing resolved by Rick in the middle of a fight going hang on a minute guys this is dumb why are we all fighting? Can't we all just get along? And they all go huh yeah sounds like it could work and then timeskip ?

Because if that recollection of mine is correct then that is just as lame as the trash people and I can't wait to see how they make it even lamer for the show.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The trash people are just on the show so it's hard to say for sure about where they are going with this. But if they are returning I figure they end up on the side of the Ricktatorship at some point

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
They take, they don't bother.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

JossiRossi posted:

I love how bad this show is written, like I hope they keep going with "Madison is a villain" but they way they start to go down that road is, "I SHOT MY DAD IN HIS SLEEP AND DID NOT CARE" while her kids just stare at her in disbelief. It was such a ham fisted attempt to make her backstory match her actions.

Can't wait to see Madison be directly responsible for every death again next half season though.

Which of her kids gets to be torn up in front of her to start her psychotic break?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
It looks like Johnny NotDepp gets put in a cuckshed for a little bit and that might be enough to set Maddy off

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

Considering she murdered the woman who took them in last season just because she didn't like the ideas she was putting in Nick's head, yeah I'd say Madison Cersei Clark is going to lose her poo poo. That ranch is going down in flames.

Acacia REI fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Aug 1, 2017

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Oh yeah, do the survivalist kids know Madison cut off their dad's head and gave it to Indians?

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Watching epsiode 1 of the second season of z nation and lol modern nukes. Why does everyone have their knickers in a twist, its just a big bomb right, not hundreds of times more powerful than the two that flattened half a city in Japan.

Still better than walking dead.

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

moist turtleneck posted:

Oh yeah, do the survivalist kids know Madison cut off their dad's head and gave it to Indians?

We don't know yet. The two theories are that either 1)the Otto brothers don't know Madison cut it off and she is banking on them not opening the casket since there's a gaping hole in his head now and 2) They know and were somehow convinced to go along with it to guarantee their father's "suicide" would not be in vain. I'm thinking it's the first one.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

moist turtleneck posted:

Typical American traditions.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Acacia REI posted:

Considering she murdered the woman who took them in last season just because she didn't like the ideas she was putting in Nick's head, yeah I'd say Madison Cersei Clark is going to lose her poo poo. That ranch is going down in flames.

I'd rather flashcut to 5 years later where she's turned into Lord Humongous

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

This universe has a long line of terrible characters but Chris from FTWD really beats all. He is just such a horrendous character and his actor is so loving bad good lord.

Suffering through season 2 right now because apparently I can't stop watching these dumb shows. FTWD is really a special breed of bad.

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

veni veni veni posted:

This universe has a long line of terrible characters but Chris from FTWD really beats all. He is just such a horrendous character and his actor is so loving bad good lord.

Suffering through season 2 right now because apparently I can't stop watching these dumb shows. FTWD is really a special breed of bad.

Season 3 is a lot more cohesively written. I've been telling people to just look up the character bios, a summary of the first two seasons and just skip the first two seasons. Still not flawless but better than the main show at this point.

Blazing Ownager posted:

I'd rather flashcut to 5 years later where she's turned into Lord Humongous

I'm gonna be pissed if they try and back out of this direction with her character and attempt to make her a good guy (especially with the new showrunners and exec producer next season). Tyrant-Madison is the only tolerable Madison.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
I liked season 1 for the neat visuals and the decline of LA, the actual plot and characters were annoying right out of the gate.

but yeah just kept watching, and season 3 was a fairly significant improvement so far, if still ham-fisted af

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'll probably still watch it when it hits streaming. I pretty much hate watch both shows at this point, but they remain entertaining if nothing else.

FTWD is such a weird show in that 90% of the characters actions is so baffling it feels like a fever dream to watch sometimes. I don't think anyone who's watched TWD at all is a stranger to yelling "why did you do that!?" at the TV, but FTWD is whole nother beast.

This is just one of many things but look at the Mexican mansion plot line. I can't think of one good reason that they blew the place up. it's total nonsense. The main characters are consistently the villains, but the show doesn't seem to realize this at all.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Watching epsiode 1 of the second season of z nation and lol modern nukes. Why does everyone have their knickers in a twist, its just a big bomb right, not hundreds of times more powerful than the two that flattened half a city in Japan.

Way better

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

veni veni veni posted:

I'll probably still watch it when it hits streaming. I pretty much hate watch both shows at this point, but they remain entertaining if nothing else.

FTWD is such a weird show in that 90% of the characters actions is so baffling it feels like a fever dream to watch sometimes. I don't think anyone who's watched TWD at all is a stranger to yelling "why did you do that!?" at the TV, but FTWD is whole nother beast.

This is just one of many things but look at the Mexican mansion plot line. I can't think of one good reason that they blew the place up. it's total nonsense. The main characters are consistently the villains, but the show doesn't seem to realize this at all.

I honestly don't know. Madison really seems to me to be coming off as unhinged and villain-like, whoever compared her to Cersei I can see spot on, especially if her kids are killed at some point. The other ones I agree with you, but I really feel Madison is being written as a maniac who will kill the whole world for her family.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah it's possible. The show seems so tone deaf about it's own characters that I really can't tell tbh, at least at this point.

They really seem to want me to like the older Mexican guy, but he is like, completely loving evil...I don't get it. Madison I don't even know what to think. I can't even tell if she's supposed to be a villain.

I am completely shocked that at the end of season 2, the only character that is approaching being even remotely likable is Nick of all people , and he is nuts and nothing he does makes sense, but so is everyone else. So maybe he's not and the writers are just insane.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

veni veni veni posted:

The main characters are consistently the villains, but the show doesn't seem to realize this at all.

The finale quite specifically shows, then tells exactly that.

I'm not sure we're watching the same thing. Sure, it's not The Wire but at this point it is streets ahead of the main show, which has been a shitfest since Season 1.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Princeps32 posted:

I liked season 1 for the neat visuals and the decline of LA, the actual plot and characters were annoying right out of the gate.

but yeah just kept watching, and season 3 was a fairly significant improvement so far, if still ham-fisted af
Except they skip over most of the downfall part. You can really feel the budget in the 1st season where everything happens while they are in their neighborhood compound.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

veni veni veni posted:

I mean, in that plot line, Celia did poison an entire congregation of parishoners that didn't buy into her whole belief of zombies being a new 'lifeform' and were banding together to fight the zombies. She also had a wine cellar full of zombies, and was telling Nick and Madison it was best to accept that mindset on zombies.

At the same time Daniel was losing his poo poo over his guilt/flashbacks and hallucinating his dead wife/people he'd killed. Though Nick did make the comment 'she's right; we destroy everything'. But there wasn't some kind of consensus like 'let's burn this place down just for funsies' 'cool, sounds good bro'.

I think it's silly that if there's no 100% clearcut bad guy, people go 'lol Madison's crew are the true bad guys'.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
They unleashed a herd on a hospital because they wanted to break a guy out of quarantine. Of course they are bad. Daniel burning down a community because of one crazy woman is just icing on the cake.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

First time watching through Z Nation? Not gonna lie I'm a little jealous. It's a hell of a show.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Bates posted:

They unleashed a herd on a hospital because they wanted to break a guy out of quarantine. Of course they are bad. Daniel burning down a community because of one crazy woman is just icing on the cake.

They act as if "I just wanted to protect my son" makes it heroic. In contradiction, other AMC shows have had a theme where even the villains have partial motivations for their actions in protecting family, like The Governor in the fourth season.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Boinks posted:

First time watching through Z Nation? Not gonna lie I'm a little jealous. It's a hell of a show.

Watched season 1 a while ago doing season 2 now.

Nuke zombies followed by plant zombies. The show rocks.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Watched season 1 a while ago doing season 2 now.

Nuke zombies followed by plant zombies. The show rocks.

Barreft fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Aug 5, 2017

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Robert Kirkman and the show's producers are suing AMC for breach of contract over the TV show and alleging that AMC has engaged in a scheme to reduce the royalties they owe them by underselling the show's rights and overstating production costs. It's unclear how much money they could potentially owe them, but this is similar to Frank Darabont's lawsuit against the network after he left the series.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/08/15/the-walking-dead-creator-and-producers-file-massive-lawsuit-against-amc

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Glad to see that AMC still sucks the life out of shows

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It's really amazing how terrible they are. Every time they have a big hit they get into fights with the showrunners (WD, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, I'm sure more...)

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
What's better the show or the comic?

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

punk rebel ecks posted:

They're both dumb in their own special ways. The game is the best.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

punk rebel ecks posted:

I think the show's changes are mostly for the better, but it pads out the show to be really long and really slow. IMO they should just have filler arcs like anime, but then viewers would know to skip them

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

They're both dumb in their own special ways. The game is the best.

This, or just watch Jericho instead if you've the urge for a decent post-apoc show.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I wonder if Carl's hat will get bigger this year

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

punk rebel ecks posted:

The comics started out pretty good but then started meandering more than the TV show somehow and it has a fuckton of pointless characters with boring stories now. It basically names the background redshirts to pad out the cast.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Nearly all the characters in the comic that haven't been in the show yet (starting from what will probably be the show's Season 9) are all very interchangeable and bland even in comparison to all the ones that came before, yes. The old characters are dying off and all but one or two of the background characters replacing them have as much character development as when they're only there to be backup in a crowd fight scene. This is because they're wasting time retreading the arcs of the characters that have been around the longest and spending multiple issues on simple changes.

Rick's injured to the point where he couldn't survive out in the wild like in Season 4, and he hobbles like an old man. We get it! Negan's good now, we get it! But no, we gotta spend another issue or two's worth with a background character tailing him to make sure he's good when he thinks no one's around. I'd say what's going to be Season 9 was good, what with Carl going all PTSD Shovel Knight on some bullies and landing himself in Hilltop jail, but now it is really dragging on. Also, it was great that Sherry took over the Saviors and the alliance almost broke down, but it was way too convenient for the plot for her to simply accidentally die by hitting her head on a table while only Rick was in the room. Heroes never have to kill villains, they just slip and fall into bottomless pits or onto coffee tables at the right moment.

I think that fans of the franchise could probably collectively do a better job finishing this story than Kirkman. Everyone's been saying for a while 'They should send an expedition group to explore' and now they're finally doing that, but the comic still cuts back to pointless Alexandria scenes where Dwight's angry at Rick for the coincidental death.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Aug 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The comic's pace has been a constant drag, though. It's just that with the the omnibus and collections you didn't have a month long wait between any interesting events.

The comic is overall better than the show, imo. With only one writer you get a more consistent experience. There's still dumb stuff, but I can't think of anything as stupid as the Garbage Dump Clan.

The big comics thing that's currently happening is an expedition to another settlement in Ohio(?) that Eugene contacted via shortwave radio. It has the potential to seriously restructure the cast, hopefully bringing in some fresh characters and ideas.