Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Frasierverse: Episode 1
Batman v Frasier: The Lost Crane
Chapter 1

Dr. Frasier Crane sighed with content as he finished his broadcast of the day. He truly was living a blessed life. Frasier had just completed the 1000th episode of his radio program The Dr. Frasier Crane Show, where he administered short psychiatric advice to listeners over the phone, ranging from impostor syndrome to sociopathic tendencies. Frasier was good at his job and had a good life. He lived in a posh apartment complex taking care of his aging father Martin, he had a strong relationship with his brother Niles, and a close friendship with his producer, Roz. Thanks to many smart investments in his youth he was a wealthy bachelor and man about town who truly had Seattle at his fingertips. He had overcome a nasty divorce with a wife who was too powerful for him to keep up with and his own past struggles with alcoholism. The 1000th episode was a milestone not even Frasier had imagined hitting and he was beaming with pride. He turned around in his studio chair and pulled off his headphones expecting to see and hear applauding staff members, but that was not what appeared. Instead, his producer and his boss were in the door, looking sullen.
“Oh god,” Frasier mused, “please tell me I haven’t just been fired.”
Roz held a pad “Frasier, it’s your dad. Martin had a heart attack, he’s in the ICU at Kindred.” Frasier’s face turned from one of worry to one of concern. A subtle difference, but very perceptible. “I’m sorry, I should have stopped the show. They called during your last segment.”
Frasier composed himself and looked into Roz’s eyes. “No...” he stuttered. “That’s quite alright. “ Frasier composed some more thoughts but was interrupted by his boss, the station manager, Kenny.
“We had a party set up for you in the lounge, but we’ll reschedule...”
“Of course,” Frasier answered. “Roz, please give the other employees my regards. Were you contacted by Niles?”
“No,” she responded. “It was the hospital.”
“Please call him for me. I have to leave immediately”
“Of course,” she said. Then, not knowing what to do, she grabbed Frasier and hugged him, and kissed him on the cheek. Frasier was too preoccupied to even begin to try to untangle how he felt about that, and rushed out the door.

When Frasier arrived at Kindred, he met his brother, who had just arrived himself, his own psychiatry office being located much closer to the hospital. It became apparent that the hospital had taken a while to find Martin’s emergency contact info, as a surgeon came out to explain. Their father had a large heart attack. When they performed some exploratory procedures to assess the damage, it became apparent that he had suffered from a previously undiagnosed minor heart attack some time in the last few years. There was extensive damage. Martin was conscious enough to call 911 and to consent to surgery. They replaced two of his arteries with ones taken from his leg. Luckily for him, he has a common blood type. He was currently on a breathing tube which they planned to remove in twelve hours to allow him to breathe on his own and bring him to consciousness. Frasier and Niles were able to observe him briefly in the ICU, but spent most of their time in the waiting room. Twelve hours passed extraordinarily quickly, and the brothers, who usually could not stop talking, found themselves mostly silent, aside from brief visits from close friends and family. Niles’ wife Daphne brought them dinner and breakfast. When it came time to attempt to wake Martin, only Niles and Frasier were called back.
Even though they were medically competent enough to know going off the breather would be mostly seamless, some part of them was still surprised at how easy it was, and how little drama occurred in the removal. Frasier unconsciously held his own breath for quite some time, but began breathing again as his father stirred.
“Dad!?” both Frasier and Niles exclaimed.
Martin slowly opened his eyes. “Well,” he said. “I guess the surgery worked.”
“Thank God,” Niles said.
Frasier was more reserved in his enthusiasm. “You’re not out of the woods yet,” he said.
“Nice to see you, too.” Martin replied.
“Sorry, father,” said Frasier, “I wasn’t thinking straight. I’m extremely happy you’re awake.”
“It’s ok, son.” He replied weakly. “What’s this about not being out of the woods?”
“Well, should you or should I?” Niles asked Frasier.
“I don’t suppose it matters, does it?” Frasier asked Niles.
“Well, you’re older, so perhaps that responsibility is yours,” Niles responded, “but of course I’m still practicing and prescribing, so I’m more medically qualified.”
Frasier scoffed. “By all means.”
“Well father, they’ve replaced two of your arteries, but they need to replace two more. You really only have a half a heart at this point. They apparently are having some trouble finding high quality arteries in your legs due to your gunshot wound.” Niles referred to the wound that had forced retirement on Martin Crane from the police force some fortyear ago. “You’ll need an outside donor to make a full recovery, and after an examination they have determined that neither of us are compatible.”
“That doesn’t make any sense,” Martin complained, “you’re my closest living relatives. If not you, then who?”
“Apparently something in our mother’s DNA that’s in us, doesn’t match what’s in you.” Frasier answered, putting it in layman’s terms. “Without any other living progeny, your options are limited. We have to hope a compatible donor shows up somewhere.”
Martin grimaced. The pain medication flowing to his IV was powerful, but after such a taxing surgery, maybe the combination of the stinging news got through. Or maybe it was the decision he just made, a decision he thought he’d never make.
“Boys, I have to tell you something. Something I’ve never told anyone.”
“Please father,” Niles chastised. “The situation may look grim but now is not the time for deathbed confessions.”
“No,” Martin replied, “this isn’t a confession. This is… a possibility. There might be another donor.”
“But you have no living siblings, Fredrick is too young,” Frasier references his own son, “ and we’re your only sons,” Frasier answered. There was a long pause as Martin glanced furtively at the two of them.
“What if… you weren’t?” he asked.
Both sons looked incredibly perplexed. “What do you mean, what if we weren’t?” Niles asked curtly.
“What if you weren’t my only sons?”
Frasier dropped a mug of water he had been holding. It smashed on the ground.
“I… I didn’t even know until about five years ago,” he confessed. “It was a girl I had a relationship with months before I met your mother. It ended amicably and I never heard from her again, until she died five years ago and I got a letter.”
“We have another brother?” Frasier asked the obvious.
“I didn’t tell anyone. I was ashamed. Not of myself, it wasn’t my fault.”
“What are you talking about, dad?” Niles demanded. “Where is this brother? WHO is this brother?”
“He’s in Gotham.” Martin answered, looking as stern and serious as they’d ever seen him.
“He’s in Gotham, and his name is Jonathan. Jonathan Crane. He’s a psychologist in Arkham Asylum.”
“Another psychologist in the family?” Frasier asked. “What are the odds!? Have you contacted him?”
“Only in letters” Martin answered. “Only in letters, and he never answered.”
“We have to meet him,” Frasier said. “He’s a psychiatric professional like us, working at a place of prestige like Arkham hospital. He’ll understand us. He’ll listen. He may resent you but he won’t resent us.”
“No, listen for five seconds!” Martin demanded. “He’s not a psychologist in residence at Arkham Asylum. He is an INMATE. Jonathan Crane. They call him… the Scarecrow.”
Silence covered the room for what felt like an eternity.
“Oh dear lord!” Frasier said as he fainted into Nile’s arms. Niles toppled over, unable to support the weight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

:krad:

naem
May 29, 2011

https://youtu.be/_5ZPxCjIjEc

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

Sir Lemming posted:

Oh, for a minute there I thought I'd wandered into the "Post the most 90s thing you can find" thread

I just wandered in from there and I thought I was having a stroke
still not 100% certain I'm not but that's about par for these forums

remember when Frasier dressed up like a clown to scare Martin? I totally thought Martin was faking the heart attack, even when they were actually at the hospital.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Goddamn Frasier is awful in the episode where Niles is recovering from heart surgery.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

le cigar volant!

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

le cigar volant!

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
https://youtu.be/fgU9B07vaeU

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Well *I* only read the New Yorker and eat Fancy Feast.

le cigar volant!

Can someone explain this to me? It's like the only joke on the show I don't get.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It's a restaurant. The name translates to "The Flying Cigar." It's a funny name for a high end restaurant.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
sometimes a cigar is just a cigar

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Frasierverse: Episode 1
Batman v Frasier: The Lost Crane
Chapter 1

Dr. Frasier Crane sighed with content as he finished his broadcast of the day. He truly was living a blessed life. Frasier had just completed the 1000th episode of his radio program The Dr. Frasier Crane Show, where he administered short psychiatric advice to listeners over the phone, ranging from impostor syndrome to sociopathic tendencies. Frasier was good at his job and had a good life. He lived in a posh apartment complex taking care of his aging father Martin, he had a strong relationship with his brother Niles, and a close friendship with his producer, Roz. Thanks to many smart investments in his youth he was a wealthy bachelor and man about town who truly had Seattle at his fingertips. He had overcome a nasty divorce with a wife who was too powerful for him to keep up with and his own past struggles with alcoholism. The 1000th episode was a milestone not even Frasier had imagined hitting and he was beaming with pride. He turned around in his studio chair and pulled off his headphones expecting to see and hear applauding staff members, but that was not what appeared. Instead, his producer and his boss were in the door, looking sullen.
“Oh god,” Frasier mused, “please tell me I haven’t just been fired.”
Roz held a pad “Frasier, it’s your dad. Martin had a heart attack, he’s in the ICU at Kindred.” Frasier’s face turned from one of worry to one of concern. A subtle difference, but very perceptible. “I’m sorry, I should have stopped the show. They called during your last segment.”
Frasier composed himself and looked into Roz’s eyes. “No...” he stuttered. “That’s quite alright. “ Frasier composed some more thoughts but was interrupted by his boss, the station manager, Kenny.
“We had a party set up for you in the lounge, but we’ll reschedule...”
“Of course,” Frasier answered. “Roz, please give the other employees my regards. Were you contacted by Niles?”
“No,” she responded. “It was the hospital.”
“Please call him for me. I have to leave immediately”
“Of course,” she said. Then, not knowing what to do, she grabbed Frasier and hugged him, and kissed him on the cheek. Frasier was too preoccupied to even begin to try to untangle how he felt about that, and rushed out the door.

When Frasier arrived at Kindred, he met his brother, who had just arrived himself, his own psychiatry office being located much closer to the hospital. It became apparent that the hospital had taken a while to find Martin’s emergency contact info, as a surgeon came out to explain. Their father had a large heart attack. When they performed some exploratory procedures to assess the damage, it became apparent that he had suffered from a previously undiagnosed minor heart attack some time in the last few years. There was extensive damage. Martin was conscious enough to call 911 and to consent to surgery. They replaced two of his arteries with ones taken from his leg. Luckily for him, he has a common blood type. He was currently on a breathing tube which they planned to remove in twelve hours to allow him to breathe on his own and bring him to consciousness. Frasier and Niles were able to observe him briefly in the ICU, but spent most of their time in the waiting room. Twelve hours passed extraordinarily quickly, and the brothers, who usually could not stop talking, found themselves mostly silent, aside from brief visits from close friends and family. Niles’ wife Daphne brought them dinner and breakfast. When it came time to attempt to wake Martin, only Niles and Frasier were called back.
Even though they were medically competent enough to know going off the breather would be mostly seamless, some part of them was still surprised at how easy it was, and how little drama occurred in the removal. Frasier unconsciously held his own breath for quite some time, but began breathing again as his father stirred.
“Dad!?” both Frasier and Niles exclaimed.
Martin slowly opened his eyes. “Well,” he said. “I guess the surgery worked.”
“Thank God,” Niles said.
Frasier was more reserved in his enthusiasm. “You’re not out of the woods yet,” he said.
“Nice to see you, too.” Martin replied.
“Sorry, father,” said Frasier, “I wasn’t thinking straight. I’m extremely happy you’re awake.”
“It’s ok, son.” He replied weakly. “What’s this about not being out of the woods?”
“Well, should you or should I?” Niles asked Frasier.
“I don’t suppose it matters, does it?” Frasier asked Niles.
“Well, you’re older, so perhaps that responsibility is yours,” Niles responded, “but of course I’m still practicing and prescribing, so I’m more medically qualified.”
Frasier scoffed. “By all means.”
“Well father, they’ve replaced two of your arteries, but they need to replace two more. You really only have a half a heart at this point. They apparently are having some trouble finding high quality arteries in your legs due to your gunshot wound.” Niles referred to the wound that had forced retirement on Martin Crane from the police force some fortyear ago. “You’ll need an outside donor to make a full recovery, and after an examination they have determined that neither of us are compatible.”
“That doesn’t make any sense,” Martin complained, “you’re my closest living relatives. If not you, then who?”
“Apparently something in our mother’s DNA that’s in us, doesn’t match what’s in you.” Frasier answered, putting it in layman’s terms. “Without any other living progeny, your options are limited. We have to hope a compatible donor shows up somewhere.”
Martin grimaced. The pain medication flowing to his IV was powerful, but after such a taxing surgery, maybe the combination of the stinging news got through. Or maybe it was the decision he just made, a decision he thought he’d never make.
“Boys, I have to tell you something. Something I’ve never told anyone.”
“Please father,” Niles chastised. “The situation may look grim but now is not the time for deathbed confessions.”
“No,” Martin replied, “this isn’t a confession. This is… a possibility. There might be another donor.”
“But you have no living siblings, Fredrick is too young,” Frasier references his own son, “ and we’re your only sons,” Frasier answered. There was a long pause as Martin glanced furtively at the two of them.
“What if… you weren’t?” he asked.
Both sons looked incredibly perplexed. “What do you mean, what if we weren’t?” Niles asked curtly.
“What if you weren’t my only sons?”
Frasier dropped a mug of water he had been holding. It smashed on the ground.
“I… I didn’t even know until about five years ago,” he confessed. “It was a girl I had a relationship with months before I met your mother. It ended amicably and I never heard from her again, until she died five years ago and I got a letter.”
“We have another brother?” Frasier asked the obvious.
“I didn’t tell anyone. I was ashamed. Not of myself, it wasn’t my fault.”
“What are you talking about, dad?” Niles demanded. “Where is this brother? WHO is this brother?”
“He’s in Gotham.” Martin answered, looking as stern and serious as they’d ever seen him.
“He’s in Gotham, and his name is Jonathan. Jonathan Crane. He’s a psychologist in Arkham Asylum.”
“Another psychologist in the family?” Frasier asked. “What are the odds!? Have you contacted him?”
“Only in letters” Martin answered. “Only in letters, and he never answered.”
“We have to meet him,” Frasier said. “He’s a psychiatric professional like us, working at a place of prestige like Arkham hospital. He’ll understand us. He’ll listen. He may resent you but he won’t resent us.”
“No, listen for five seconds!” Martin demanded. “He’s not a psychologist in residence at Arkham Asylum. He is an INMATE. Jonathan Crane. They call him… the Scarecrow.”
Silence covered the room for what felt like an eternity.
“Oh dear lord!” Frasier said as he fainted into Nile’s arms. Niles toppled over, unable to support the weight.

Makes more sense than the Arkham Knight teaming up with Scarecrow.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
The other night my wife and I were watching the episode where they go to night school for car maintenance. She almost bust a gut at the "twist AND pull" scene. It reminded her of, uh, someone she knows.

That scene is really a perfect microcosm of the whole "there are two kinds of people in this world" theme that runs through the show. And, of course, very true to life.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The fact that they get fake certificates made is hilarious.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

The teacher is Gruber from the Higgins Boys and Gruber. I appreciated that. You don't see him much these days.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
So I have watched almost the entire series so far, I got to say this is probably the best thing GBS has ever done for me.

While still a dumb formulaic sitcom, it has so many moments of brilliance that I can't stop watching it.

Also, the episode where Niles and Daphne keep joking that Roz wanted to have a three-way with them was kinda hot.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I got to the first 4 episodes of the Niles and Daphne in love but Niles has to pretend be in love with Not-Maris and my utter obsession died.

Roz as a mom seems weird too I think because maybe it drags down her character because I haven't really gotten to see "Roz is happy to be a mom" and ALSO there was a weird reference to Pokémon cards that really threw me for a loop.

Can anyone recommend specific episodes that are worth going through?

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Roz my neg hole

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Bust Rodd posted:

I got to the first 4 episodes of the Niles and Daphne in love but Niles has to pretend be in love with Not-Maris and my utter obsession died.

Roz as a mom seems weird too I think because maybe it drags down her character because I haven't really gotten to see "Roz is happy to be a mom" and ALSO there was a weird reference to Pokémon cards that really threw me for a loop.

Can anyone recommend specific episodes that are worth going through?

Are you asking for specifically later-season episodes, around that time?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Are you asking for specifically later-season episodes, around that time?

Yeah I've seen every episode of season 1-7

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

None, really. You've seen the best.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

The episode where Frasier has been dating that famous lawyer and basically becomes a starfucker is really weird

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Bust Rodd posted:

Seasons 7 and 8 are a hot mess. Off the top of my head, 8 still has some decent episodes like The Show Must Go Off and A Day in May, but 9 really starts a creative rebound (the one with Michael Keaton is absolute gold), and CAM WINNNNSTONNN shows up that year, too.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

does he ever figure out what to do with those tossed salads and scrambled eggs?

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
"That is so goth!"

"It is not goth!"

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
I'm especially looking forward to the munchies stage. I'm going to pair this Chilean sea bass with this aggressive Zinfandel.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

What's the deal with the one where Daphne's old fiance shows up? Great episode but the guy just peaces out at the end and there's no real conclusion, idk it just seems like a weirdly sudden ending. Most sitcoms of the time would have her actually explaining everything after she says "I can explain everything" but nope, dude just walks away forever and presumably keeps on believing that Martin is an astronaut and so on

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

A vision. A picture in my head. A picture of this.

HAT FETISH posted:

What's the deal with the one where Daphne's old fiance shows up? Great episode but the guy just peaces out at the end and there's no real conclusion, idk it just seems like a weirdly sudden ending. Most sitcoms of the time would have her actually explaining everything after she says "I can explain everything" but nope, dude just walks away forever and presumably keeps on believing that Martin is an astronaut and so on

"Really, we're not the awful people you think we are! The truth is that we've been lying to you all night!"

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

slave to my cravings posted:

"That is so goth!"

"It is not goth!"

slave to my cravings posted:

I'm especially looking forward to the munchies stage. I'm going to pair this Chilean sea bass with this aggressive Zinfandel.

it's disappointing that the weed episode was so unfunny but i would still recommend it for the B plot of freddy becoming goth

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

That... sure is something!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Not a Children posted:

The episode where Frasier has been dating that famous lawyer and basically becomes a starfucker is really weird

The bit where Frasier is left in the room with all the trophy wives.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

dsriggs posted:

That... sure is something!

4:18 on is magical.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
LoL this show won 37 Emmies, 4 of which went to Kelsey Grammer for Best Actor...

and now here in 2017, loving Master of None now has one for writing in a comedy.

revolther
May 27, 2008
So you are saying what exactly?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

le cigar volant!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

le cigar volant!

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004