Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

FuturePastNow posted:

When Jordan retaliated for that pilot being burned alive a couple years ago, allegedly the king flew a couple combat sorties.

That is legitimately awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
Complete falsehood and propaganda, but it was good for the country to believe that. One of those little white lies 🙂

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Dr_Strangelove posted:

"We know. Sit down."

Not an empty quote

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

quote:

• The captain was the pilot flying ACA759, and the first officer was the pilot monitoring. Both pilots held Canadian airline transport pilot certificates.
  • Runway 28L was closed to accommodate construction; its approach and runway lights were turned off, and a 20.5-ft-wide lighted flashing X (runway closure marker) was placed at the threshold. Runway and approach lighting for runway 28R were on and set to default settings, which included a 2,400-foot approach lighting system, a precision approach path indicator, touchdown zone lights (white), runway centerline lights (white at the approach end), runway threshold lights (green), and runway edge lights (white at the approach end).
  • Lights for taxiway C were also on and set to default settings that included centerline lights (green) along its length. Default settings also included edge lights (blue) and centerline lights (green) illuminating the transition or stub taxiways from the runway to the taxiway.

I'm just spitballin' and speculating as the internet is prone to do but holy poo poo dude is the captain hiding some colorblindness here or something? :stonk:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Duke Chin posted:

I'm just spitballin' and speculating as the internet is prone to do but holy poo poo dude is the captain hiding some colorblindness here or something? :stonk:

I wouldn't be too surprised if the CVR tape has them chatting about hockey or poutine recipes during the approach.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Ola posted:

I wouldn't be too surprised if the CVR tape has them chatting about hockey or poutine recipes during the approach.

I'd be a bit more interested in how long both of them had been flying that day. For all anyone knows, they could've been 'persuaded' to give up their mandated rest time. Do something repetitive long enough, and your *brain* goes on autopilot.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'd be a bit more interested in how long both of them had been flying that day. For all anyone knows, they could've been 'persuaded' to give up their mandated rest time. Do something repetitive long enough, and your *brain* goes on autopilot.

The autopilot would have lined up with the runway. :smug:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Ola posted:

Wow racism, mods??

Actually odds that at least one is named "Gord": 50/50

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
First Officer Collin

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Well, there is this issue I mentioned a couple of weeks ago:

MrChips posted:

As for this incident at SFO, it wouldn't surprise me if fatigue is noted as a contributing factor here; the flight left Toronto late and after nearly five hours in the air, the crew was landing the aircraft at essentially 3am according to their circadian rhythms.

I don't know what their schedule was like leading up to the incident flight in the hours and days before, but I can't help but think that fatigue might be an issue here.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

The Locator posted:

The autopilot would have lined up with the runway. :smug:

Not on the Quiet Bridge Visual.

Maybe some west coast 121 goon will weigh in, but I'm pretty sure it brings you in to about a 15 degree offset final and you gotta Do Some of That Pilot poo poo for the last bit.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

https://twitter.com/jonostrower/status/892889560086073344

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

That's some high confidence in your weather forecast, imagine if a storm cell popped up over the midwest and your "airplane" suddenly has a lopsided engine from where the (actual) plane had to fly around.

Not that Boeing cares about 1 flight's worth of fuel for a marketing stunt, but yanno.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Boeing: Because gently caress You, Environment!

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Besides being an airplane I'm pretty sure that's a perfect scale 787, winglets and all.

I guess that's one way to market it.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!

Murgos posted:

Charles flew Harriers and Phillip actually had a quite accomplished WWII Naval record. If you are extend out even a little bit you get all kinds of other stuff as well.

quote:

He learned to fly on a Chipmunk basic pilot trainer, a BAC Jet Provost jet trainer, and a Beagle Basset multi-engine trainer; he then regularly flew the Hawker Siddeley Andover, Westland Wessex and BAe 146 aircraft of The Queen's Flight[33] until he gave up flying after crashing the BAe 146 in the Hebrides in 1994.

edit: beaten

ehnus fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Aug 3, 2017

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

Complete falsehood and propaganda, but it was good for the country to believe that. One of those little white lies 🙂

I did say *allegedly* and that's why. Suppose it can't really be proven either way. Probably propaganda, bet certainly more plausible than Kim's four holes in one.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Bob A Feet posted:

They also flip in the water. If you have to ride in one on a regular basis (at least in the USN and USMC), you have to go through a water egress course for helicopters. Its a hoot. Strap into a dummy helicopter fuselage, get dropped into the water, it flips, egress.

USAF non-parachute water survival (SV90 iirc) does the same. It was a loving blast.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I saw a vudeo of a navy damage control simulator, they need to open those to the public, looked like fun
Better than a water park

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

vessbot posted:

Not on the Quiet Bridge Visual.

Maybe some west coast 121 goon will weigh in, but I'm pretty sure it brings you in to about a 15 degree offset final and you gotta Do Some of That Pilot poo poo for the last bit.

Looks like the ILS approaches are mostly aligned with the runways to me. You'd still be tracking that once you were close enough, I'd think.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

The Ferret King posted:

Looks like the ILS approaches are mostly aligned with the runways to me. You'd still be tracking that once you were close enough, I'd think.

ILS was out of service, I made the same comment last time we were on this and someone corrected me

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Mazz posted:

Besides being an airplane I'm pretty sure that's a perfect scale 787, winglets and all.

I guess that's one way to market it.

Is there any chance we'll ever get the goon equivalent of this? (I'm talking about a flight plan penis)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Kekekela posted:

Is there any chance we'll ever get the goon equivalent of this? (I'm talking about a flight plan penis)

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

vessbot posted:

ILS was out of service, I made the same comment last time we were on this and someone corrected me

Surely they'd have an RNAV path to follow still.

I wonder why the NTSB report above doesn't mention the ILS.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
The RNAV path doesn't take you to the runway though. That's what I meant by my previous comment. It dumps you off a few miles from the runway, offset both in heading and lateral position.

vessbot fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Aug 3, 2017

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Why are you saying it doesn't take them to the runway? I don't know their specific equipment, but any general aviation GPS will draw an extended centerline to intercept.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

The Ferret King posted:

Why are you saying it doesn't take them to the runway? I don't know their specific equipment, but any general aviation GPS will draw an extended centerline to intercept.

They could of course do that if they wanted to, but they were following a particular procedure (an RNAV version of this) that doesn't.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Here's the approach plate: https://resources.globalair.com/dtpp/globalair_00375RRY28R.PDF

There is a little shimmy to the left through DONNG, JOSUF and FABLA. Maybe they went straight in with DONNG.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Ola posted:

DONNG.

:dong:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Boeing: Because gently caress You, Environment!

It's a required ETOPS test, why not do something interesting with it?

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Arson Daily posted:

Not an empty quote

I'm just glad someone got the joke/reference...

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

vessbot posted:

They could of course do that if they wanted to, but they were following a particular procedure (an RNAV version of this) that doesn't.

Again I'm not getting why you're so sure that their FMS doesn't plot a path to the runway and beyond (for the missed approach segment).

I'm thinking they had lateral guidance in the cockpit and just didn't follow it. But I'm just guessing out loud here.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

http://i.imgur.com/3qzroYc.mp4

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

:holymoley:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

How old is that?

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

The Ferret King posted:

Again I'm not getting why you're so sure that their FMS doesn't plot a path to the runway and beyond (for the missed approach segment).

https://ntsb.gov/investigations/Pages/DCA17IA148.aspx

quote:

At 2346:30 PDT, Northern California TRACON cleared ACA759 for the FMS bridge visual runway 28R approach.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

That doesn't address my question. I'm not asking what ATC cleared them to do.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

They're Prowlers, not Intruders. Looks reasonably recent.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I thought they'd all been replaced with growlers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

hobbesmaster posted:

I thought they'd all been replaced with growlers.

The Navy's have. The Marines still have some Prowlers kicking around.