Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I dont think how gon sees people is meant to be some kind of lampoon of other shonen heroes, and is probably just togashi's own interesting character writing. I doubt he sat down and thought "I'm going to write Gon to prove a point about that dang Luffy guy!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Is there a fight in shonen manga as good as the Greed Island Dodgeball Game? Despite the absurd lack of dodging in the Dodgeball, it is so damned fun to read/watch.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

tbp posted:

gons morality is ridiculous. hes completely fine with mass murderers as long as they're his buddies. however the person he hates the most in the series was defending her queen from an invasion and happened to hurt someone he liked. it's not consistent at all and he's a little bit insane

He also hated the spiders for mourning Uvogin's death but not caring about any of the people they had killed.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

FAT BATMAN posted:

Honestly the thing that fucks me up about Gon the most is that he had no interest in learning about his mom and stopped the tape. What is going on in that head of his?

that was one of the most sane and reasonable things he's done. gon already has a great mom who has raised him entirely by herself. knowing about some woman he never met isn't gonna change that. as readers we might want to know what kind of woman would hook up with legendary garbage person ging, but why should gon care?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
What if he has a family history of diabetes or colon cancer? His doctors need to know.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

mabels big day posted:

I dont think how gon sees people is meant to be some kind of lampoon of other shonen heroes, and is probably just togashi's own interesting character writing. I doubt he sat down and thought "I'm going to write Gon to prove a point about that dang Luffy guy!"

Whether or not his intention was to write Gon as that archetype taken to the extreme is irrelevant (though my money is on 'yes' given how much Togashi likes to play with genre conventions), because that's how he comes off to a lot of readers, so that's what he is.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

that was one of the most sane and reasonable things he's done. gon already has a great mom who has raised him entirely by herself. knowing about some woman he never met isn't gonna change that.
That would be great if that was the reason he stopped the tape but unless I need to reread that part, I'm not convinced that was on his mind at all. I think he's crazypants.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

He literally says it though.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

that was one of the most sane and reasonable things he's done. gon already has a great mom who has raised him entirely by herself. knowing about some woman he never met isn't gonna change that. as readers we might want to know what kind of woman would hook up with legendary garbage person ging, but why should gon care?

This is a fair point, except all this also applies to Ging really. Gon has about as much reason to be interested in him as he does his mother, really. Kite just happened to fill his head with stories about how awesome Ging is when he was younger.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
gon didn't have a father, so he was curious about his father. also, pursuing ging meant becoming a hunter and seeing the world which certainly didn't hurt.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mabels big day posted:

Gon is not supposed to be a lampoon of a specific shonen hero but like a lot of Hunter x Hunter he exists as a commentary on the kind of characters who exist in shonen manga. This isn't even new for him, he took on the same subject matter in YYH. He's never been shy about taking the traditional traits of heroic characters and going "yeah but what if you don't give them a pass?" It doesn't mean he dislikes or hates the characters but he genuinely is interested in treating them like flawed characters. He's also not alone there. Most shonen tends to do this if it goes on long enough because emphasizing a character's flaws is interesting for a writer and if you go the opposite direction you get boring perfect godbeings who are a lot less interesting.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Speed scans. http://imgur.com/a/SxXHH

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The anticipation of this arc is killing me. Plans are unfolding, but slowly. Really slowly. With all of the dialogue this arc probably wouldn't feel as long at this stage when animated though.
Marayam's beast looks downright normal, relatively speaking.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Xelkelvos posted:

The anticipation of this arc is killing me. Plans are unfolding, but slowly. Really slowly. With all of the dialogue this arc probably wouldn't feel as long at this stage when animated though.
Marayam's beast looks downright normal, relatively speaking.

While a dragon is fairly normal. The issue that seems to come with it is that it is growing.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I will shot the aura!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Hey remember Chrollo?? He's cool!
Now back to boring Krapika

A troll only beaten by the fact he's going to go play DQ11 any time now.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

While a dragon is fairly normal. The issue that seems to come with it is that it is growing.

I actually forgot that we've seen his Nen beast already

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

RatHat posted:

I will shot the aura!

"He will this much to reach stalemate"

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Hey remember Chrollo?? He's cool!
Now back to boring Krapika

A troll only beaten by the fact he's going to go play DQ11 any time now.

Naw, it's the adventures of Bill, the man who won't go down easily.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

RatHat posted:

I will shot the aura!

/dramatic JoJo pose

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Clarste posted:

Sounds like my friggin ex wife!!!!!!!!

Bill is a Pariston plant,right? Or am I misremembering? At first I figured he was gonna die but I could see him surviving only to be on the opposite side of Kurapika on the Dark Continebt.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Sounds like my friggin ex wife!!!!!!!!

Bill is a Pariston plant,right? Or am I misremembering? At first I figured he was gonna die but I could see him surviving only to be on the opposite side of Kurapika on the Dark Continebt.

He's a Temp Hunter that works for Pariston. Not a plant just an employee.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Brought To You By posted:

"He will this much to reach stalemate"

Somehow the MS translation will be worse

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

He's a Temp Hunter that works for Pariston. Not a plant just an employee.

Actually, I have a pet theory that BIll knows more than he is letting on throughout all this. Him (and the other temp hunters assigned to princes) being set-up by Pariston throughout this whole thing isn't too far fetched. Bill did suggest a plan that revolved around either getting Pariston, or breaking out Beyond.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Bill has a lot of heart.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Just to be clear, is Kurapika still using Emperor's Time after the Queen managed to use the power?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

frajaq posted:

Just to be clear, is Kurapika still using Emperor's Time after the Queen managed to use the power?

I think since the power is still in effect maybe it hasn't helped emperor time's condition?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Shugojin posted:

I think since the power is still in effect maybe it hasn't helped emperor time's condition?

Well getting a read out of all the Princes area's should be a good use for it.

Alternatively now that it's been activated it's no longer killing him.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Even if it hasn't stopped yet, it can be stopped now. It's not an ax hanging over his head anymore, Oito can dismiss it at any time, or the thing can get squished. Either works. He's not going to Actually Die because they couldn't find a bug in time.

On a tangent, Kurapika's not using In on his chains, so they're visible to everyone here, unless Togashi's drawing them despite them being invisible (I doubt it). Some people should be able to gather that his power, at least, has something to do with those from this, though I guess that doesn't tell them too much, particularly since his chains are so weird.

Edit: I do like the misinformation here, though. Besides saving Kurapika, now everyone's going to be super suspicious of any bugs they see while not knowing what Bill really does. They're going to be paranoid as hell.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Aug 4, 2017

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
kurapika keeps his chains materialized so that others can't tell if he is a conjurer or a manipulator.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Given that he's falsely advertised himself as a manipulator, that's all the more reason to keep them visible like he always does anyway.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

This has nothing to do with this week's chapter but it's the kind of thing I'd expect this thread to appreciate.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

This has nothing to do with this week's chapter but it's the kind of thing I'd expect this thread to appreciate.

lol

Clarste posted:

I am so worried for Bill at all times. Really exciting chapter this week and it seems like we're hopefully going to start seeing some action soon, though I've been really enjoying the tense set-up. I understand narratively why we haven't seen Woble's Nen Beast but I wonder what the in universe reason will be for Kurapika and co. not seeing it yet. Maybe it's off somewhere causing mayhem. Also I'm guessing relatively soon it will be Woble's turn to go to a banquet with the King.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
oito's got nerves of steel. normal people showing their hidden depths is way more interesting than known badasses continuing to demonstrate that they are badasses.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

oito's got nerves of steel. normal people showing their hidden depths is way more interesting than known badasses continuing to demonstrate that they are badasses.

Yeah, it's easy to forget, but Oito is actually very intelligent; that's how she got Kurapika to work for her.

All the political maneuvering that the royalty and their vassals have to do have given them insane levels of savvy.

Even the maid is insanely perceptive.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
http://readms.net/r/hunter_x_hunter/367/4477/1

The MS version of the chapter.

Pigasus
Dec 26, 2009

Too fat to wear pink.

Blaze Dragon posted:

This made me legitimately happy. I want the rest of this hot track.

I think the most interesting panels are the ones that displays how Bhavimaina is completely falling for their ruse, but Kurapika is overestimating his opponent. I wonder what kind of mistake he'll make further down the line because of this misreading...

Also, Queen Oito is very good at espionage and reading people. I shouldn't be too surprised considering the maid she decided to keep with her in this ship.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Pigasus posted:

I think the most interesting panels are the ones that displays how Bhavimaina is completely falling for their ruse, but Kurapika is overestimating his opponent. I wonder what kind of mistake he'll make further down the line because of this misreading...

Also, Queen Oito is very good at espionage and reading people. I shouldn't be too surprised considering the maid she decided to keep with her in this ship.

I'm not so sure that he's misreading the situation. He didn't say Bhavimaina had seen through his ruse, but rather that he's skilled enough that he could do it, which would completely change the current situation. He's assessing a future risk.

Whether he's right or not is yet to be seen. Kurapika has commited quite a few blunders in this mission already (wrong phone call order, stopped by the maid, taking a power he couldn't immediately use thus risking his own life) so I wouldn't be surprised if he genuinely misread something badly enough to explode in his face. He's very far from perfect and it's showing, despite being intelligent.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The theme of this arc is "Kurapika, you can't do everything on your own, you stupid idiot". His misplays, the Steal Chain, Shimano and Oito and Bill, the shared thing here is that Kurapika really needs to stop trying to do everything on his own.

If he actually learns that lesson he'll be pretty well-off, mind, since as of the start of this arc (or... Would you count the whole "getting on the boat" thing as the last arc?) he's now a member of the Zodiacs and all, which is, I imagine, a very useful group to be a part of. Also going to need that though, because, you know, Dark Continent and all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I wonder if the make-up of the Zodiacs is common knowledge. Like, do people recognize that he's essentially on the Hunter Organization board of executives?