Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Atrayonis posted:

Did you install Morrowind in your C:\Program Files\ directory or somewhere else?
If it's the latter, then you hosed up somewhere, sorry. Got some details?

Uh the T:R website specifically suggests installing the game outside of program files if you're encountering errors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

frogge posted:

Wherever Steam places the files, so C\:Program Files\Steam\Steamapps\common\morrowind.

So you basically have two options:

1. The better option in the long run: uninstall Steam and reinstall it somewhere else where you have full access. "C:\Games\Steam" maybe?

2. Log into your PC's admin account, navigate to "C\:Program Files\" and right-click the Steam folder and hit Properties, then go to the Security tab and highlight your own account (or the generic user group) and grant full read/write/modify access by checking all the boxes and hitting OK.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

GreatGreen posted:

1. The better option in the long run: uninstall Steam and reinstall it somewhere else where you have full access. "C:\Games\Steam" maybe?

2. Log into your PC's admin account, navigate to "C\:Program Files\" and right-click the Steam folder and hit Properties, then go to the Security tab and highlight your own account (or the generic user group) and grant full read/write/modify access by checking all the boxes and hitting OK.

Alternatively you can set Steam to install games outside of Steam's own install folder. I have Steam in program files, but my steamlibrary folders are in my root C and D drives. You can change your content libraries under the downloads tab in the settings menu.

Atrayonis
Jul 6, 2008

Godspeed, brave canary

turn off the TV posted:

Uh the T:R website specifically suggests installing the game outside of program files if you're encountering errors.
Exactly, which is why installing it in C:\Program Files means we already know the source of the problem, otherwise he'd have hosed somewhere up.

So since this is in C:\Program Files, the actual Morrowind.ini is probably in C:\Users\%Username\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Bethesda Softworks\Morrowind and that one needs to be edited.

Atrayonis fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Jul 26, 2017

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I'm phoneposting but I will try those suggestions later when I'm home until one works. I haven't had any issues with any other mods so this is a mite confusing.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

MULTIPLAYER MORROWIND
https://openmw.org/2017/openmw-multiplayer-here/

quote:

multiplayer: “M’Aiq does not know this word. You wish others to help you in your quest? Coward! If you must, search for the Argonian Im-Leet, or perhaps the big Nord, Rolf the Uber. They will certainly wish to join you.” – M’Aiq the Liar

M’Aiq may have been teasing us back in 2002, but today you really can meet the Argonian Im-Leet as well as Rolf the Uber. This is all thanks to OpenMW’s sister project TES3MP and its developers Koncord and David Cernat. Previously, tes3mp only had pvp, but a recent patch added NPC synchronization. As if that weren’t enough, they also decided to include sync for player faction, journal, topic, time, and plug-ins… You can pretty much play the whole game now, if you just keep in mind that scripts still work locally (as they do in single-player) and custom items made with alchemy/enchanting/spellmaking do not save on the server.

Atrayonis
Jul 6, 2008

Godspeed, brave canary
Still a WIP, as OpenMW itself is.

Still, from the streams Zhakaron has posted, it looks really really good and is pretty much the kind of Morrowind Multiplayer that people have always wanted in their single player game.

And yes, mods work with it (it runs a checksum so that everyone needs to have the same mods active), so you can visit Stirk with a group of people if you want to.

Atrayonis fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jul 31, 2017

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
[General] n'wahmastah: "Dagoth-Ur raid forming must be level 20 and have 80 mercantile+ NO ARGONIANS, PLEASE SEND TELL"

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

How many people will call their characters Im-Leet or Rolf the Uber do you think

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

How many people will call their characters Im-Leet or Rolf the Uber do you think

I don't think TES3MP should allow you to create any other character than either of these two.

amotea
Mar 23, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Dear lord, I'm gonna donate to these projects later today.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

OpenMW 0.42.0 is out.

Distant Land is a cool addition but I'm not sure if I'd ever use it; the draw distance mist is like a good third of Morrowind's atmosphere for me.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Cross-Section posted:

OpenMW 0.42.0 is out.

Distant Land is a cool addition but I'm not sure if I'd ever use it; the draw distance mist is like a good third of Morrowind's atmosphere for me.

You'd be surprised how little it actually detracts from the game's atmosphere. In Oblivion, the entire world is shaped like a bowl, so at any given place you can almost see just about everywhere else. In Morrowind, the game world is shaped almost literally the exact opposite, it's an island with a giant volcano in the middle. This means that even with an infinite view distance, you're still only seeing small chunks of the world at a time. And even still, Morrowind is hilly enough that you're never in full view of all that much of it anyway.

Try it!

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Cross-Section posted:

:goonsay:

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I like Morrowind being kinda misty too, personally, but having good draw distance can totally change how you think of the game world. Like you realize that the dwarven ruins are always looming in the distance in plain sight from Balmora. And you also realize that Ebonheart is just across the water from Vivec, so the Empire must have been super aggressive with their expansionism.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Cephas posted:

I like Morrowind being kinda misty too, personally, but having good draw distance can totally change how you think of the game world. Like you realize that the dwarven ruins are always looming in the distance in plain sight from Balmora. And you also realize that Ebonheart is just across the water from Vivec, so the Empire must have been super aggressive with their expansionism.

Yeah I agree, actually. Back when I was first trying out different draw cell distances, I ended up settling for something pretty modest like 7 or 8 cells, primarily because of the FPS differences but also because it made poo poo feel so...small. You can't see everything like in Oblivion, but it can still show just how physically close many landmarks are to each other.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Good points, all.

I'll give it a try when 1.0 eventually comes around (which shouldn't be that long given that all that appears to be left is shadows and some AI stuff).

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

GreatGreen posted:

I tried the second option and it didn't work for me, so :newlol: if I'm going to uninstall steam and reinstall it elsewhere when I have quite a few other games I'm also playing and moving stuff around would take up all of the free time I have on a given weeknight.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Cross-Section posted:

OpenMW 0.42.0 is out.

I love it when they release youtube updates. I get so happy seeing my favorite game such a wonderful treatment. I'm really optimistic about OpenMW.

However, it sounds like things aren't so good for the construction set? They need more devs for it and just aren't finding them is what I gathered.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Node posted:

I love it when they release youtube updates. I get so happy seeing my favorite game such a wonderful treatment. I'm really optimistic about OpenMW.

However, it sounds like things aren't so good for the construction set? They need more devs for it and just aren't finding them is what I gathered.

the work that's there isn't harder, people would just rather work on the main game before they touch the cs clone

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

frogge posted:

I tried the second option and it didn't work for me, so :newlol: if I'm going to uninstall steam and reinstall it elsewhere when I have quite a few other games I'm also playing and moving stuff around would take up all of the free time I have on a given weeknight.

I don't know exactly where the problem lies, but shouldn't it also be possible to reinstall Morrowind outside the Program files folders? You can point the install to anywhere else. You can even move the entire MW folder, change the install path in Steam and then use repair to reintegrate it.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

frogge posted:

You don't need to uninstall Steam, just go into Settings -> Downloads -> Steam Library Folders, create a new library folder somewhere other than Program Files, and specify that library when you reinstall Morrowind.

Hell, you don't even need to redownload the files. You can just move them from their current spot to the new Library folder, tell Steam to delete local content and then tell it to download to the new Library folder; it'll find the files already there, verify them and be done with it.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
So hyped for a V1 of OpenMW, after which we're going to start getting some of the really good poo poo that could never be implemented because of Morrowind's janky old engine.

My wishlist is:

– Non-buggy fully integrated implementation of GCD or some kind of variant with uncapping
– Much slower melee combat with some kind of implementation of follow through on attacks and dodge rolls
– Improved enemy AI + enemy placement/ambushes
– Better animations
– Rejigging of how all of the attributes function, making Willpower, Agility, Luck useful
– Caps on to-hit and dodge chance, that can vary depending on the target in question
– Better sneak system
– Natively implemented Witcher-style alchemy rules (Give potions a toxicity value)
– Natively implemented over-buff rules (There was one mod that did this that was really cool – tied it to the Personality stat)
– Proper Blocking/Guard Breaking
– Lots of eye candy

edit: I've seen people talk about getting "Dark Souls" style combat for Morrowind/Skyrim but I don't think that'd be a good fit. Too much time spent killing mooks and no real "boss" fights to really push the system. Morrowind for me is all about the really nice slow progression.

Entropy238 fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Aug 3, 2017

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Entropy238 posted:

So hyped for a V1 of OpenMW, after which we're going to start getting some of the really good poo poo that could never be implemented because of Morrowind's janky old engine.

My wishlist is:

– Non-buggy fully integrated implementation of GCD or some kind of variant with uncapping
– Much slower melee combat with some kind of implementation of follow through on attacks and dodge rolls
– Improved enemy AI + enemy placement/ambushes
– Better animations
– Rejigging of how all of the attributes function, making Willpower, Agility, Luck useful
– Caps on to-hit and dodge chance, that can vary depending on the target in question
– Better sneak system
– Natively implemented Witcher-style alchemy rules (Give potions a toxicity value)
– Natively implemented over-buff rules (There was one mod that did this that was really cool – tied it to the Personality stat)
– Proper Blocking/Guard Breaking
– Lots of eye candy

edit: I've seen people talk about getting "Dark Souls" style combat for Morrowind/Skyrim but I don't think that'd be a good fit. Too much time spent killing mooks and no real "boss" fights to really push the system. Morrowind for me is all about the really nice slow progression.

I think you want a different game

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Node posted:

I think you want a different game

Not really, a lot of those are just tweaks within the existing systems which have already (to a limited extent) been implemented by mods.

I don't think many people would disagree that:

– Morrowind's multiplier levelling system is wank and the community has developed much more elegant solutions than Bethesda
– Morrowind's melee combat can be very spammy
– The AI is dumb as bricks
– The animations are lol-worthy
– Some attributes are hidden "trap" options that provide little benefit, if any, to players
– Morrowind gets very easy as the game goes on
– The sneak system is pretty painful
– Blocking sucks

etc etc ...

Morrowind has my favourite system mechanics, atmosphere and gameplay out of all of the ES Games, it just needs a bit of polishing in places. Polishing not being the same as outright "balancing".

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

I feel like we're gonna end up with a million mods that attempt to fix the levelling, attributes and combat once it hits 1.0. I also think most of these are going to be terrible because of lack of play testing, modders with weird "visions" and what not. Maybe a few years from now there'll be one or two agreed-upon best mods.

I wouldn't mind better animations and AI soon, though.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

ive got a custom openmw with tweaked combat variables, its pretty great

weapon skill affects damage, base ~70% chance to hit a mudcrab at 10 skill, 90% at 20+, the only ways to miss an attack is to hit an agile enemy

works well but favors sanctuary a lot lol

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Only thing off the top of my head I 100% would crave is better animations cause that's one of the few things really next to impossible to mod in Morrowind and even the improved stuff out now is very stiff and dated.

You can fix up the faces, armor, textures, lighting, etc to a real impressive degree but the skeletons/animations are still very woody.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I dunno I've kind of grown fond of how everyone walks like they poo poo their pants.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkdR1X0V7sI

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Berke Negri posted:

Only thing off the top of my head I 100% would crave is better animations cause that's one of the few things really next to impossible to mod in Morrowind and even the improved stuff out now is very stiff and dated.

You can fix up the faces, armor, textures, lighting, etc to a real impressive degree but the skeletons/animations are still very woody.

morrowind animations are locked to 15 frames per second

if they changed this it would allow people to make real actual animations

there's also the issue of the animations being impossible to create because it uses an ancient version of blender that no one wants to learn and is a real hassle. there's one guy working on an updated version that should make it so normal people can create animations, and when that happens the floodgates will metaphorically open

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Eagerly awaiting my lust for Yagrum Bagarn to be realised at silky smooth 60 fps animation.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lxmbfvycbv0

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Entropy238 posted:

Eagerly awaiting my lust for Yagrum Bagarn to be realised at silky smooth 60 fps animation.

Whole lot of necrotic titty floppin coming our way.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Making a mod that replaces Yagrum with Darunia and renames him Yagrum Bagoron

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Mak0rz posted:

I dunno I've kind of grown fond of how everyone walks like they poo poo their pants.

The ultimate goal of all video games is to be indistinguishable from real life.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Uhhh how did I not know a multiplayer mod was being worked on for openmw

what's the word on the LGNPC mod?

kazr fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Aug 6, 2017

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Good. If anything its TOO wordy. Then again that's a silly complaint to have about a mod that adds text dialogue. In the actual game though, I never felt like having conversations with NPCs so I probably wouldn't notice if it was gone.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I think the LGNPC mods are pretty good. Pax Redoran is a wonderful extension to the vanilla House Redoran experience - though iirc there's a quest where a girl gets pragnent which doesn't really sit well with some of the other quests.

There's a lot text dumps too but it's done quite well. The skill masters LGNPC mod gives them all interesting back stories related to their in game books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Worth noting there is a Dialog only version now without lots of questions or whatever.