Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Lol @ 6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Greens aren't that bad, surely?

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011
I really doubt half of Green voters would switch to Labour just because of Ardern.

Kt88
Aug 15, 2003

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

Greens aren't that bad, surely?

Well it is coming from Matthew Hooton, he's gone full fake news since Jacinda became leader. Clark and Cullen are pulling the strings for Ardern and the media are in cahoots giving her preplanned softball questions, apparently.. Right wingers are shook.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Taitale posted:

I really doubt half of Green voters would switch to Labour just because of Ardern.
60% on the nose, he's alleging. Most of the other folks in the comments seem to be backing him up with anecdata.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
NZ Labour has decided to use their own version of "I'm with her".

We're doomed.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I'm like 99% sure it's just baseless speculation/predictions that he's being coy about because he's a man baby who craves attention

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I hardly know the man

Anyway

"I'm with her" won the popular vote :)

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

What's the NZ version of Ohio

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
Christchurch Central will be a hell of a fight at both the electorate and party level if you were looking for an important swing electorate to follow.

Speaking of which...

https://twitter.com/acphotonz/status/892875837648678913 (More in the thread)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I hardly know the man

Anyway

"I'm with her" won the popular vote :)

I suspect 'anyone but donald' is what won the popular vote.

Regardless I don't see how it's here nor there seeing as we've had two PM's with a vag and aren't quite so far in the dark ages as the US, though I have the depressing feeling that the monkey-see-monkey-do media will try to stir up some poo poo over it thanks to the american debacle.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

What's the problem? It's government land and National are the government :downs:

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Ratios and Tendency posted:

What's the NZ version of Ohio

Te Atatu, or West Auckland in general. Key always said if you win West Auckland then you win the election

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

How is that possible? TOP are currently polling at 0 seats.

gently caress if I know. I saw the poll and wondered wtf.

When I think "the left"

I think

Winston

Do you want to be in government or what? It's not optimal but I will take it.

Winston's talks can be nasty but I struggle to remember the last time he followed up on the nasty with actual damage. His crowning accomplishment appears to be the super gold card. Let the olds get their perks if we get the things we need.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
When I think of the Left, I think 'what left?'

I think 'Whatever, close enough' with the Greens, though.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
^^^ This.

It's just not The Left without letting perfect be the enemy of the good though.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

I'unno, does 'Perfect is the enemy of the good' translate well into 'Past a certain level of ideology (And lack of pragmatism) it all slides into dogmatism'?

WarpedNaba fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Aug 3, 2017

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Shouldn't that be dogmatism?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the *squints* right-wing populist ?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Slavvy posted:

Shouldn't that be dogmatism?

Oh, right. Brain was still stuck on pragmatism when I wrote that.

WarpedNaba fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Aug 3, 2017

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

WarpedNaba posted:

Oh, right. Brain was still stuck on pragmaticism when I wrote that.

Shouldn't that be pragmatism?

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

oohhboy posted:

gently caress if I know. I saw the poll and wondered wtf.

Do you want to be in government or what? It's not optimal but I will take it.

lol. at any cost.

oohhboy posted:

Winston's talks can be nasty but I struggle to remember the last time he followed up on the nasty with actual damage. His crowning accomplishment appears to be the super gold card. Let the olds get their perks if we get the things we need.

He also sold the airport

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

bike tory posted:

Te Atatu, or West Auckland in general. Key always said if you win West Auckland then you win the election

Te Atatu's always been pretty solid Labour, but the margin's been shrinking a lot since National got in. They'd need to swing a bit over 1400 votes from last election to win it this year. Alfred Ngaro has a lot of signs up...

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
Ngaro might have shot himself in the foot by attacking the Salvation Army (tho Twyford might have shot himself in the foot by being racist??? idk). I think Chris Bishop is getting Hutt South.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

lol. at any cost.
idealism at any cost

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

exmarx posted:

I think Chris Bishop is getting Hutt South.

Yeah the signs were on the wall last election when he nearly took it from Mallard as a newbie who had never even sat in parliament.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Shouldn't that be pragmatism?

What the hell is wrong with my spelling today.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
Bishop pretty much acted like he was the Hutt South MP prior to last election anyway, given that he actually spends time there getting stuff done (whether said stuff is actually worth anything, who knows?).

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

He's their poster boy for how to campaign well. Like, literally - those internal docs of theirs that were leaked recently used his as an example.

Robo Captain
Sep 28, 2013

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Bishop pretty much acted like he was the Hutt South MP prior to last election anyway, given that he actually spends time there getting stuff done (whether said stuff is actually worth anything, who knows?).

Bishop is really good at show up to various community events getting his photo taken and leaving shortly afterwards.

He's also had billboards up all year round so everyone knows who he is and I doubt many had heard of Ginny Andersen before the billboards went up.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Bye bye Duckie have fun being a list mp lol even if the list extends that far lol

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

This Metiria Turei thing just keeps on going. Worst of all it gives David Seymour something to talk about other than Act's terrible policies.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Yep. Latest news is that her husband was listed as living at the same address while she was claiming benefits.

She says he wasn't actually living there, but boy is Hosking on the offensive already.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."
Seems like every day another Hosking column is offered up as a headline on Google News and I'm loving sick of it.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

quote:

exmarx,

Yesterday the New Zealand Government moved to formally recognise ridesharing as part of the country's transport system.

This is the final stage in officially recognising your right to a safe, affordable and reliable ride across your city.

This wouldn't have been possible without ACT MP David Seymour's advocacy for sensible ridesharing regulations, as well as the efforts of the Minister for Transport, Simon Bridges MP, to deliver these reforms.

Most importantly, on behalf of the Uber team, I want to thank you. These reforms have only come about because you, along with 330,000 other New Zealanders, have chosen to ride with Uber.

Thank you,

Richard Menzies
General Manager

Counterpoint: gently caress off

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

You are complicit in the erosion of worker's rights. Hand in your Left card.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Metiria won't seek a ministerial post if they get in govt :(

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

To be expected really. Can't take up a post like that while under investigation. If the review clears her then elevate to a cabinet post in the first reshuffle.
If only Bill English did the same when he was caught double dipping.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
I was under the impression that the green co-leaders don't typically take ministerial positions, but now I don't know why I think that.

I'd love to see some change in how govt is organised. Maybe have two prime ministers or none at all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I don't think we'll see another major structural change until we make the leap to republic. Which we won't do until English's entire MP generation dies off.

• Locked thread