Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

hifi posted:

you go faster when the air is warmer

please dont fart in taxis, drivers are humans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i too have a latvian router and sometimes the wifi stops working or gets wonky

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

man people you dont have computer problems, you have common sense problems using latvian things at all

next up in the thread - "guys halp my gauja laptop is low"

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

monday: air conditioner repair dude puts in a new air conditionerhome comfort system and helpful smart thermostat
also monday: all wifi devices fail to connect to router
today: disabled wifi on the helpful smart thermostat and everything else mysteriously starts working
good job carrier :thumbsup:

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Shaman Linavi posted:

monday: air conditioner repair dude puts in a new air conditionerhome comfort system and helpful smart thermostat
also monday: all wifi devices fail to connect to router
today: disabled wifi on the helpful smart thermostat and everything else mysteriously starts working
good job carrier :thumbsup:

we do the work, you do the pleasure™

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
Why does spotify get quieter when i switch screens to Pokemon on my Nexus 6pp

Corla Plankun fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jul 15, 2017

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
pokemon likes to reduce the volume from other audio apps

it's a pos

mlmp

mlmandroid

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed
yeah, niantic programs are notorious for dropping your volume when switching out/back in. . . ingress is notoriously bad for just turning off anything else you're listening to.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
is there any way in windows to make an application always launch with lower priority?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

echinopsis posted:

is there any way in windows to make an application always launch with lower priority?

prio. you can also make bat files that will invoke

code:

start /low file.exe

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
thankyou

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

what's the best software to remote into a mac if I have a mac and a pc on the same lan

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Luigi Thirty posted:

what's the best software to remote into a mac if I have a mac and a pc on the same lan

i use teamviewer to janitor parents mac but that's prolly an overkill on lan

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
Mac has screen sharing built in that you can connect to with any vnc client

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Luigi Thirty posted:

teamviewer mate. works very well and has file transfer capabilities and then ineviatbly youll be on a laptop somewhere and itll work. or add a third computer and then you have a wee army.
it owns

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Silver Alicorn posted:

v true, used it to janitor my grandmas computer before and if you happen to have a Mac or a good vnc client that supports the right lossy tiling its pretty smooth for simple stuff

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Silver Alicorn posted:

yeah

dont install poo poo like teamviewer if you can avoid it for security reasons alone

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

mishaq posted:

dont install poo poo like teamviewer

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
why come this server says 1.3PB of memory? it only has 512GB in it

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

virtual memory leak in a driver perhaps? as in it running that up by remapping dma areas over and over in some way. pure guess, but i don't think userspace memory leaks can show up like that, and short of it being some severe hardware failure i have to imagine it amounts to some kind of leak

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i got my units mixed up at first so my first thought was "oh maybe it's countin' the page file for some reason" but then i realized i was a few orders of magnitude off and :staredog:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

virtual memory leak in a driver perhaps? as in it running that up by remapping dma areas over and over in some way. pure guess, but i don't think userspace memory leaks can show up like that, and short of it being some severe hardware failure i have to imagine it amounts to some kind of leak
i don't think it's a memory leak, because windows only sees 512GB of usable memory. i think it's just a weird server thing

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
if its a vm maybe the hyper-v integration gots all hosed up

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
sometimes vmstat -h on freebsd reports 1.1TB of RAM and that's weird

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
it's not a vm though

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

echinopsis posted:

cinci zoo sniper posted:

prio. you can also make bat files that will invoke

code:
start /low file.exe

Prio will work, however it will gently caress up VMware Workstation and VMs will fail to load with horrible errors (even by VMware standards). Of course, :lol: at running desktop virtualization but just keep that in mind.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Aug 1, 2017

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I will keep that in mind... lol

it's just coz blender when rendering works just as well in low priority as much as normal but doesnt gently caress the rest of my computer

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
I just moved into a new apartment and there's Ethernet Jack's in every room. cool so I figure there must be a switch somewhere and go hunting. in the closet in the bedroom behind a screwed on panel I find this:

someone stripped the casing off and connected just the blue and white wires to some kind of punchdown block

does anyone have any idea wtf I'm looking at

bonus picture of my cat exploring:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

BRB, posting in the Cyberpunk Hacker Handle thread...

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

A Pinball Wizard posted:

I just moved into a new apartment and there's Ethernet Jack's in every room. cool so I figure there must be a switch somewhere and go hunting. in the closet in the bedroom behind a screwed on panel I find this:

someone stripped the casing off and connected just the blue and white wires to some kind of punchdown block

does anyone have any idea wtf I'm looking at

bonus picture of my cat exploring:

this was a really common install feature / finish level about year 2000 - nobody knew what exactly was coming or what tech people would want (DSL, T1 PRI/BRI, Ethernet, Phone lines in the mix / outer pairs, etc etc etc) so they just ran the cable de jour of the moment (CAT 5 UTP) into a box and twisted it all off, left for the future owner to decide

the running of the wiring is already done which is the hard part so congrats... now you just have to connect it down it up however hte hell you want - throw a switch in there if you need, whatever. You just gotta tone out which cable goes to what jack, then punch down for what you wanna use it for (ethernet i presume)

e: the blue/blue white pairs are the 1st of 25 pairs in the standard telecom wire bundle, so that's presumably just the landline phone distribution at the moment - just rip em out and punch back down with the rest of the orange white/orange to run 100baseT or w/e

Sniep fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Aug 3, 2017

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
what you're seeing is jacks wired for phone using cat5. double check the wall ports to make sure they're actually punch down connectors and not telephone connectors. if theyre telephone it may mean its wired in series which means you're gonna need to do some splicing or coupling and sacrifice some ports.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
it certainly looks like its a per jack setup but double check

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Shaggar posted:

what you're seeing is jacks wired for phone using cat5. double check the wall ports to make sure they're actually punch down connectors and not telephone connectors. if theyre telephone it may mean its wired in series which means you're gonna need to do some splicing or coupling and sacrifice some ports.

from my experience with installs from that era most all of these style terminations were in 8P8C jacks even if just a single pair connected for phone use

e: and if not, they are usually keystones so you can just replace the keystone with a 8p8c instead of a 4/6 wire

Sniep fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Aug 3, 2017

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
I got curious so I unscrewed one of the Jack's from the wall and yeah, it only had the blue and blue/white wires connected up. so theoretically all I'd have to do is wire the rest up and I too can have Ethernet in my laundry room? might ask the landlord if he'll knock a few bucks off the rent if I do it for him, he seems like a cool guy

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
i agree with the ppl who said just wire up the rest of the wires and u shud b good to go. as it stands u could plug in a lot of pots phones

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

get that cat5 utp in your laundry OP

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

bobbilljim posted:

i don't want my underpants to become part of a botnet

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

IoT
Internet
of
Tighty-whiteys

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

bobbilljim posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
we need to know if the dryer is hanging on the wall. this is important.