Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The war sort of did feel like the Federation was hopelessly outmatched, until suddenly they were winning. The turning point was probably supposed to be In the Pale Moonlight, but I don't remember them really emphasizing that in the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

cheetah7071 posted:

The war sort of did feel like the Federation was hopelessly outmatched, until suddenly they were winning. The turning point was probably supposed to be In the Pale Moonlight, but I don't remember them really emphasizing that in the show.

Besides just seeing more Romulans, there was the line at the very end of In The Pale Moonlight where Sisko talks about how the addition of the Romulan fleet pretty much immediately turned the tide of the war, but yeah it's not really ever made hugely explicit.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Drone posted:

Besides just seeing more Romulans, there was the line at the very end of In The Pale Moonlight where Sisko talks about how the addition of the Romulan fleet pretty much immediately turned the tide of the war, but yeah it's not really ever made hugely explicit.

Well the D'deridex is the coolest ship in anything ever, so obviously they felt that little more need be said. Also it is powered by a black hole, which is both very insane and again the coolest thing ever.

But then again, gas from engine leaks on the Enterprise will instantly dissolve your flesh, so that's fun too.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

dont even fink about it posted:

Well the D'deridex is the coolest ship in anything ever, so obviously they felt that little more need be said. Also it is powered by a black hole, which is both very insane and again the coolest thing ever.

But then again, gas from engine leaks on the Enterprise will instantly dissolve your flesh, so that's fun too.

The secret shame of the Klingons is that their ships are powered by a wholly safe and environmentally positive process, the least metal of all the major alpha quadrant races' engines.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Astroman posted:

The secret shame of the Klingons is that their ships are powered by a wholly safe and environmentally positive process, the least metal of all the major alpha quadrant races' engines.

Gas.

Gas, captain.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
If birds of prey run on JET-A, I think that is in fact the most metal.

(danger zooooone)

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

There's a Mr. Fusion at the heart of every Klingon vessel.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Banana peels up to warp 4, then you have to start feeding it targs

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

dont even fink about it posted:

This is objectively correct in all respects.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
There's a certain logic in the idea that you'd need the energy of a black hole to go to warp too.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Pararoid posted:

There's a certain logic in the idea that you'd need the energy of a black hole to go to warp too.

Works for the Time Lords.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Cardassians are better romulans than the romulans have ever been

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Orv
May 4, 2011

MillennialVulcan posted:

Cardassians are better romulans than the romulans have ever been

Wow. Just, wow.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Orv posted:

Wow. Just, wow.

It's true though.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Not sure how I feel about the nail polish on the Klingon bonemail.

Wait, yes I do. I hate it.

I'll give it a chance and hopefully seeing it in motion it will grow on me.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
I like imagining the klingon who made that armor taking the time to lovingly paint the nails while listening to klingon opera. Or would it be something a replicator spat out?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

I like imagining the klingon who made that armor taking the time to lovingly paint the nails while listening to klingon opera. Or would it be something a replicator spat out?

Excellent Username / Post combo

Reminds me of oldschool GW paintjobs with red-nailed treemen

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Drone posted:

I'd say that there are 2 points. One is the Romulans but the other is earlier when the Prophets time magic away the reinforcements in the wormhome which stops the AQ from being immediately overrun. However the Dominion still had a lot of ships and the resources of the Cardassians to draw upon so while the Dominion could no longer sustain an offensive war without support from their own territory or hold the station/wormhole without risking other major facilities they could almost indefinitely defend Cardassian territory at least until even more ships made their way from the gamma quadrant - as long as the Romulans stayed out of the war.

The Breen were a major wrinkle but one could argue that the Dominion were only interested in their energy weapon thing. As soon as that got neutralized they were just a few more ships in the way of the 3 major powers.

This has been my logical and irrefutable take on the strategic military thinking of the fictional factions of the Star Trek universe, powered by the education of the finest in Tom Clancy novels (that happened before The Teeth of the Tiger).

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Kibayasu posted:

I'd say that there are 2 points. One is the Romulans but the other is earlier when the Prophets time magic away the reinforcements in the wormhome which stops the AQ from being immediately overrun. However the Dominion still had a lot of ships and the resources of the Cardassians to draw upon so while the Dominion could no longer sustain an offensive war without support from their own territory or hold the station/wormhole without risking other major facilities they could almost indefinitely defend Cardassian territory at least until even more ships made their way from the gamma quadrant - as long as the Romulans stayed out of the war.

Ah yeah that's true, there's even that line from the Female Changeling where she explicitly says "well gently caress, let's just fall back to Cardassian space and hole up until we can rebuild our forces", which gives the Federation alliance a good excuse to go hardcore on the offensive.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Re: Duet

https://twitter.com/IraStevenBehr/status/891202454179729408

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The Bloop posted:

Not sure how I feel about the nail polish on the Klingon bonemail.

Wait, yes I do. I hate it.

I'll give it a chance and hopefully seeing it in motion it will grow on me.

From what I've seen in higher resolution pics, they're actually ickle little "rubies" that are likely just cheap red resin

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Brawnfire posted:

From what I've seen in higher resolution pics, they're actually ickle little "rubies" that are likely just cheap red resin

Swell.

Maybe they light up!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

80s dark light roller punk Klingons

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
I imagine once Fuller left there was one executive who was going wild with ideas but had a psychotic break and started going full Howard Hughes.

"Make the ships brown! Brown is the new grey!"
*huffs from spray paint*
"Bone armor! The Klingons need bone armor that goes out in little spikes! And they paint the tips of the spikes red so it looks like blood! Get out! The urine jars can only absorb so many germs at once!"

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
From an EW interview:

When he came on board Star Trek: Discovery, actor Jason Isaacs thought he should have a catchphrase. The British actor was playing a starship captain, after all. And The Next Generation‘s Captain Picard had not one but two of them, with “Engage!” and “Make it so.” So on his first day on set playing Captain Lorca — a steely American with a slight southern accent — Isaacs started saying what he thought would be the perfect ad-libbed phrase to embody his character’s commanding demeanor: “Git’r done!”

“I was so cocky,” Isaacs recalls. “I’ve only been here an hour, and already I have my catchphrase “

Then the producers then explained: “Git’r done” was already taken. By the comic Larry the Cable Guy. Who even has it copyrighted.

:gowron:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jason Isaacs playing a southerner. What the gently caress.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

The Bloop posted:

When he came on board Star Trek: Discovery, actor Jason Isaacs thought he should have a catchphrase. The British actor was playing a starship captain, after all. And The Next Generation‘s Captain Picard had not one but two of them, with “Engage!” and “Make it so.” So on his first day on set playing Captain Lorca — a steely American with a slight southern accent — Isaacs started saying what he thought would be the perfect ad-libbed phrase to embody his character’s commanding demeanor: “Git’r done!”

“I was so cocky,” Isaacs recalls. “I’ve only been here an hour, and already I have my catchphrase “

Then the producers then explained: “Git’r done” was already taken. By the comic Larry the Cable Guy. Who even has it copyrighted.

:gowron:

This house of cards is going to fall over so hard it's taking the floor with it.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Timby posted:

We better see these "git 'er done" takes at some point

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

:laffo: Okay this thing might end up being so bad it's good.

"YEEEEEEEEEEEEEE haw, Mr. Glorbox, set the ship to Warp 9 and GIT ERR DONE!"

*fires phasers wildly into the air*

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

WampaLord posted:

:laffo: Okay this thing might end up being so bad it's good.

"YEEEEEEEEEEEEEE haw, Mr. Glorbox, set the ship to Warp 9 and GIT ERR DONE!"

*fires phasers wildly into the air*

Sneak preview of Discovery's theme song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rCYeB6pnoQ

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Arglebargle III posted:

80s dark light roller punk Klingons

This arguably sounds more intriguing than what we've seen so far

Also Jason Issacs is awesome and I'm now fully convinced he's too good for this show

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Timby posted:

Just...why?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

More Hollywood britwashing

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I actually really enjoy that he's playing against type.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Fake southern accents are often just as bad as fake British accents and southern accents aren't even pleasant to the ear to begin with.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe
I'm down if he does a really good Foghorn Leghorn. Or a really bad one.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Warp... I say... Warp five

Those Klingons are about as subtle as a hand grenade in a barrel of Orion oatmeal

For.. I say... Fortunately I always keep my ten thousand tiny starfleet insignia numbered for just such an emergency.

The Bloop fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Aug 3, 2017

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Fake southern accents are often just as bad as fake British accents and southern accents aren't even pleasant to the ear to begin with.

CORAL SHTAP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Timby posted:

vermin posted:

This house of cards is going to fall over so hard it's taking the floor with it.

Looking forward to Captain Underwood becoming Federation President within two seasons.