Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Ammanas posted:

Adult onset adhd

Work has programmed us to multitask, I just look at it like that, then its fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mellowjournalism posted:

How hard was this to set up? Nightmare purely in terms of motion sickness?

Not at all! I didn't fiddle too much with the settings, but here's a PCGamer writeup: http://www.pcgamer.com/nintendo-games-can-work-shockingly-well-in-dolphin-vr/

The funny thing is that trying to do the Death Star level in Rogue Leader and having the game drawing in geometry on both edges of you was really distracting.

Taintrunner fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Aug 3, 2017

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault

homeless snail posted:

Most stuff that I watch on Netflix + Youtube isn't worth 100% of my attention, so its either look at my phone, play a game on my other monitor, or jack in and fly spaceships for awhile.

I am jelous as gently caress of you nerds. I am a truly single threaded man, I cannot concentrate on two things at once.

Either:
a. Miss entire blocks of the show as I 100% ignore it
b. Not realise my spaceship has been sitting in system waiting to jump for 10 full minutes (or more)
c. Miss the show and crash the ship into a nearby sun by leaving the throttle open after a jump, but hey on the good news I got another page down in the anonymous confessions thread!

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Dunno if anyone has posted this yet but, I guess it's Vives counter to the super-cheap Oculus offer? :effort:

https://www.vive.com/au/front-defense-special-edition/

$100 off (it's ~$1300 in 'Straya so) free copy of a game I've not heard of before, and a special cover thing.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
Elite: Dangerous is one of the best things I've experienced in VR. The first time I loaded up in Spaceobama's Welfare Sidewinder I was just boggled at the inside of the space station. It just felt amazing because it was like nothing I could ever see in my life. The dogfighting is pretty fun too as you realize just how much you're missing if your view is just fixed looking straight ahead all the time. After a week or so of dedicated VR faffing about just taking missions and doing them, I realized you could spend a thousand hours doing thing and still be in the same starter ship. The game pretty much requires third party websites to get trading data, find spaceship parts, locate places to mine, places to land, places to steal data from, and plot long range navigation. When I brought it up on the monitor the first time it didn't even feel like the same game. It was like I was watching someone else play on twitch or something-- I was completely disconnected from what was happening in the game. It's gotta be VR to get the full experience.

That said, it sucks balls to travel in VR. The galaxy map is usable assuming you already have bookmarks for where you want to go, or where you want to go is one or two hops from where you are. Space is big. Nothing you want is one or two hops from where you are. With no keyboard it can be extraordinarily challenging to find a system, not that you'd know what system you want to go to without a web browser anyway. Also, sitting in witchspace (hyperspace) in VR looks neat a few times, then it just becomes the 20 second loading screen it is with nothing to occupy you. Even your ship's computers become unusable. Then you gotta line up and wait to jump and do it all again. It is really lonely because there is just nothing else you can do but sit there and wait. Imagine going to a doctor's office except your wait was several hours, there were no magazines, no cell service, and you had to turn a dial and push a button once a minute (but not at the same time). You'd end up with Doctor's Office Madness regardless of how nice the wallpaper in the waiting room is.

kaffo posted:

I am jelous as gently caress of you nerds. I am a truly single threaded man, I cannot concentrate on two things at once.

Either:
a. Miss entire blocks of the show as I 100% ignore it
b. Not realise my spaceship has been sitting in system waiting to jump for 10 full minutes (or more)
Yeah I have the same problem. I can either play a game or watch a show. There is no middle ground. I've tried podcasts too but those just drift by my consciousness without registering as well. This is why I almost never play E:D, there's not enough going on to be entertaining while making jump after jump, but it is engaging enough to keep me from doing anything else at the same time.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

CapnBry posted:

Yeah I have the same problem. I can either play a game or watch a show. There is no middle ground. I've tried podcasts too but those just drift by my consciousness without registering as well. This is why I almost never play E:D, there's not enough going on to be entertaining while making jump after jump, but it is engaging enough to keep me from doing anything else at the same time.
This is why you watch reruns of Star Trek or whatever. You've already seen it all so if you tune out for a bit while you look up something or get in a fight or whatever it's no big deal.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My friend 3D printed a lens adapter for the Rift. It uses the lenses from a cheap pair of glasses on Zenni Optical. I was wondering if I should look into these weird blue light coatings? Or just get the bare lens and be done with it.

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

Just play House of the dying sun and have actual fun playing a space game???

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

BoneMonkey posted:

I would also recommend this.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

BoneMonkey posted:

For 2 hours.

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

quite a pickle you've got there
I usually play with a keyboard in between my HOTAS and mouse to the right side of me. I haven't had any issues navigating so far.

Do most people only use the sticks?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

InevitableCheese posted:

I usually play with a keyboard in between my HOTAS and mouse to the right side of me. I haven't had any issues navigating so far.

Do most people only use the sticks?

I use keyboard only for typing names in the galaxy map search box. Everything else is bound to HOTAS.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Not sure how travel in VR will be different from my normal travels. I don' have a second monitor or a tv in my bedroom, but podcasts absolutely worked for me. In any case the thingy will arrive next week, so I'll check it out myself.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Sekenr posted:

Not sure how travel in VR will be different from my normal travels. I don' have a second monitor or a tv in my bedroom, but podcasts absolutely worked for me. In any case the thingy will arrive next week, so I'll check it out myself.
I would definitely suggest looking into OVRDrop, you can just put a fat web browser hanging out on the overhead console for doing stuff

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I am way, way less patient with VR games than I am with any other type. Maybe it has to do with the immersion, because normally if there's some long loading screen I can glance at my phone or tab out or whatever, but with VR I have to stare at a blank screen. Since E:D is 95% travel and a lot of that is hands-off, I remain amazed that people are willing to play it in VR no matter the initial "Wow!" factor.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

homeless snail posted:

I would definitely suggest looking into OVRDrop, you can just put a fat web browser hanging out on the overhead console for doing stuff

"Not reccommending for anyone who wants to use this with Elite Dangerous. Problem is, it takes control away from your elite dangerous window, meaning your joystick/game controller/keyboard input won't work any longer. Great for VR games that only use the hand controllers though."

Did this guy just have a weird interaction?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I think that's probably true, some games don't handle input when they're in the background and I think Elite is one of those. You just have to remember to hit alt-tab when you're done messing with your overlay, though.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

PerrineClostermann posted:

My friend 3D printed a lens adapter for the Rift. It uses the lenses from a cheap pair of glasses on Zenni Optical. I was wondering if I should look into these weird blue light coatings? Or just get the bare lens and be done with it.

I had jegstad's Oculus lens adapter printed and shipped to me for about $8. On that page there is a link to the correct Zenni frames to get. I got the frames with lenses for $9.99, plus about $5 in shipping. I did not get any extra coatings applied to the lenses, so watch out for the $5 upcharge for the anti-reflective coating.

The adapter fits well (maybe better if I sanded it some) and the lenses fit perfectly into the adapter. They fit close to the Rift lenses and would actually serve as a shield that would protect the Rift lenses from harm.

Best of all, now I don't need glasses to do VR. My daily wear pair are plastic and pretty big. They fit in the Rift, but pressed down on my face when I was wearing the Rift. The new solution is absolutely perfect. You really have no idea there are extra lenses in place.

Bottom line, definitely spend the $15-25 to get the adapter and lenses, but forget the fancy coatings. No need.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

bobfather posted:

I had jegstad's Oculus lens adapter printed and shipped to me for about $8. On that page there is a link to the correct Zenni frames to get. I got the frames with lenses for $9.99, plus about $5 in shipping. I did not get any extra coatings applied to the lenses, so watch out for the $5 upcharge for the anti-reflective coating.

The adapter fits well (maybe better if I sanded it some) and the lenses fit perfectly into the adapter. They fit close to the Rift lenses and would actually serve as a shield that would protect the Rift lenses from harm.

Best of all, now I don't need glasses to do VR. My daily wear pair are plastic and pretty big. They fit in the Rift, but pressed down on my face when I was wearing the Rift. The new solution is absolutely perfect. You really have no idea there are extra lenses in place.

Bottom line, definitely spend the $15-25 to get the adapter and lenses, but forget the fancy coatings. No need.

I've already gotten the zenni lenses (and just use them in the HMD for now, theyre smaller than my everyday glasses)

where did you print the holder? I can maybe find someone locally but im curious to know where you did it.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Gozinbulx posted:

I've already gotten the zenni lenses (and just use them in the HMD for now, theyre smaller than my everyday glasses)

where did you print the holder? I can maybe find someone locally but im curious to know where you did it.

Click the Thingiverse link, then the 'order this printed' button on that page. I evaluated all the presented sites to see who would do it the cheapest. It arrived in about 3 days from whatever place I ordered from.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Bhodi posted:

I am way, way less patient with VR games than I am with any other type. Maybe it has to do with the immersion, because normally if there's some long loading screen I can glance at my phone or tab out or whatever, but with VR I have to stare at a blank screen. Since E:D is 95% travel and a lot of that is hands-off, I remain amazed that people are willing to play it in VR no matter the initial "Wow!" factor.

I completely agree, getting bored in VR is so much worse than on a flat screen game. I'm willing to wait a couple of seconds in VR, but I don't really mind waiting minutes+ on a flat screen game.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

When you get bored in VR you get bored in real life

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Bhodi posted:

I mean, people invested millions in Star Citizen and that's not even a game. Shows you how desperate everybody is to fly a spaceship. Lots of us grew up with scifi and would kill for that experience. (Myself included)

But yeah, I generally play VR in smaller bursts and less often than I do traditional gaming, if only for comfort reasons. Not even nausea, I don't get any with most games these days, but just wearing the HMD and everything can be a real investment of effort and I'm usually feeling lazy and wanting to relax when I'm about to game.

Bumbler
Dec 17, 2005

I have been playing Elite in VR for over a year now. When I first started I was so enchanted by it all that I didn't mind the loading screens and travels times, it's a pretty immersive loading screen after all. I traveled to Colonia and back in a Cutter laying on the couch and watching Cosmos in an overlay window on my ship's dashboard. These days I just zip around the bubble in a ship with 60 LY jump range and then transfer my fun ships to the destination system and take off the HMD while they're in transit, it helps minimize time spent sitting in VR doing essentially nothing. I still really enjoy the general VR gameplay in Elite

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

A couple things to note for folks though, OVRDrop does cost money, and it only works through steamVR so if you have a rift you can't use it with elite for instance running natively through the oculus software. It might be better in that case to check out Hello.v which is free and does work natively on the rift (steamVR isn't supported, though thats supposed to be coming "soon") first.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Apparently you can use more than 4 sensors with the Oculus Rift: https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/6reww8/5_sensors_and_hidden_wires/

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Tom Guycot posted:

A couple things to note for folks though, OVRDrop does cost money, and it only works through steamVR so if you have a rift you can't use it with elite for instance running natively through the oculus software. It might be better in that case to check out Hello.v which is free and does work natively on the rift (steamVR isn't supported, though thats supposed to be coming "soon") first.

There is also the old free version of OVRDrop here: https://github.com/Hotrian/OpenVRDesktopDisplayPortal

And yeah, you have to alt-tab when using it with Elite. It's still really useful for watching movies or having Discord visible.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Tom Guycot posted:

And it works really well. I lose a couple frames on a 1080 with i7 4790. But it works well for twitch and poo poo.

Some games require injecting "after" it's ran though. Like robo recall for example. Also discord for its good and the goon who wrote it (shout out to ed) is seemingly always

TomR posted:

Apparently you can use more than 4 sensors with the Oculus Rift: https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/6reww8/5_sensors_and_hidden_wires/

Didn't oculus themselves say anything over 3 is pointless and can cause more confusion with sensors and stuff than it's worth?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TomR posted:

I wonder how useful a fifth sensor looking down at the center of the discs might be for ensuring coverage. You could probably lower the other sensors with that setup and get better crouched tracking...

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
What happened to all those claims that Rift roomscale works flawlessly with only two sensors?

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Ralith posted:

What happened to all those claims that Rift roomscale works flawlessly with only two sensors?

Wouldn't say flawlessly but I've been playing with two sensors since December and the overall experience has been more than reliable to do everything I've wanted to do. If you're aware of your blindspots you'll generally never run into a problem - I'd say that getting a third sensor is for people who spend a long time in VR daily and want to paper over whatever cracks remain.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Ralith posted:

Works perfectly for me. My entire 7x6 space is amply covered, and I can even go out of bounds at risk of causing property damage.

In Rec Room earlier today I was spinning and crouching like a crazy person during the future version of the Quest game. Sensors never lost a beat.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
Just got my rift and fired up Robot Recall. This is the greatest thing ever.

On a little bit of a downer, there's what appears to be two cloudy sections on my lenses. Nothing major but it is occasionally noticeable. Is there some way to deal with that? I'm guessing its adhesive from the covers but cloth doesn't seem to be cutting it and they put the fear of God into me about trying any type of cleaner.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Taintrunner posted:

Not at all! I didn't fiddle too much with the settings, but here's a PCGamer writeup: http://www.pcgamer.com/nintendo-games-can-work-shockingly-well-in-dolphin-vr/

The funny thing is that trying to do the Death Star level in Rogue Leader and having the game drawing in geometry on both edges of you was really distracting.

Ooh nice thank you, I'll try that out tonight. Also reminder to everyone that the fanmade "Battle for Endor" is pretty sweet too: https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/12334/star-wars-battle-of-endor-updated-for-dk2-and-cv1

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Ralith posted:

It does actually, If you take the time to do the sensors right, and dont have USB problems, Then you most likely will have a great exp with 2 sensors.

Hackan Slash posted:

Just got my rift and fired up Robot Recall. This is the greatest thing ever.

On a little bit of a downer, there's what appears to be two cloudy sections on my lenses. Nothing major but it is occasionally noticeable. Is there some way to deal with that? I'm guessing its adhesive from the covers but cloth doesn't seem to be cutting it and they put the fear of God into me about trying any type of cleaner.

Try wiping it off with the cloth, and look at it from an angle. If the lenses are on, itll "look" weird in the center. I legit thought mine was hosed up too, It was just a weird image reflection while i was cleaning it. The lense cover plastic had no adhesive, so if its got poo poo on it id call whoever you got it from if it really is gunky. Also keep in mind your image will never be crystal clear, VR is just kinda blurry.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
You guys even watch the video? He's got 4 cameras mounted in a big square on the ceiling and 5th camera on his desk pointing at a race chair with wheel that isn't inside his roomscale area.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Ralith posted:

It can, but he just has less chance for occlusion. With his four cameras, it should actually work better than a Vive because each device is always being seen by at least two cameras.. It's just expensive and he probably has an expensive USB card. Though the way he has it set up is a big roomscale area with four cameras plus a separate camera at his desk for racing sims. I wonder how that works for Oculus home. I suppose his center would be in that room scale area, and then for racing sims he just launches them from outside the headset. Otherwise he'd be across the room in Oculus home while at his desk.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Ralith posted:

It does, but even Alan Yates, the creator of the Lighthouse technology, said/tweeted that 5 Lighthouses would be needed for a minimum occlusion setup. With any line of sight tracking, the more area covered the better.

On an unrelated note, I got my 1080ti, upgrading from a 980, and it was totally worth it and not just for VR, but it's nice being able to set a permanent supersampling rate of 1.4 (can raise it depending) and not have to worry about it.

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Aug 4, 2017

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
drat, Arizona Sunshine is pretty intense at times. Robo Recall usually wasn't very challenging, so a game where you'll die if you're not accurate enough is pretty scary.

Although I'm kind of at the point where I can just empty the clips into oncoming hordes and still have enough ammo. Normal is pretty generous with the ammo pickups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Darke GBF posted:

drat, Arizona Sunshine is pretty intense at times. Robo Recall usually wasn't very challenging, so a game where you'll die if you're not accurate enough is pretty scary.

Although I'm kind of at the point where I can just empty the clips into oncoming hordes and still have enough ammo. Normal is pretty generous with the ammo pickups.

It's one of the few games where I enjoyed it so much I beat it on normal, then started another run through on the hardest difficulty. I haven't beaten it on the hardest yet, I got distracted by other things, but it really is a fun game.