Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

not really. there are still centrist dems but the party is continuing to move leftward over time. the existence of centrist dems is not evidence that the democratic party is doooomed. Naturally they try to run the party. So do more lefty dems. That's politics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
When you look at who's in charge of the levers of power at the DNC, what do you see though? It's centrists all the way, and if you take a look at their Better Deal, you can already see it's all rhetoric and no real substance.

Anyway, enough leaking The Democrats are a Waste thread into other discussions.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

If you watch any video about video games, even if it's just to see if something is fun to play, stuff like this is bound to pop up in your suggestions. Sigh. Thanks, video game player/rational skeptic/right wing NEET overlap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTXoc9p2q2w

Never trust an otter.

Fados
Jan 7, 2013
I like Malcolm X, I can't be racist!

Put this racist dipshit on ignore immediately!

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

not really. there are still centrist dems but the party is continuing to move leftward over time. the existence of centrist dems is not evidence that the democratic party is doooomed. Naturally they try to run the party. So do more lefty dems. That's politics.

It's not moving left, it's doing everything it can to not move left, only in kind of subtle ways, like not funding left candidates, and mega funding quasi repubiclans like ossof, by refusing to wholeheartedly adopt left policies like single payer and even blocking it's possible implementation in california, and most blatantly by insisting in adopting a lovely negative message of "We're Not Trump". This last one really is the most telling for a series of reasons.

If anything Dore and likeminded types are very insufficient for the scale of problem at hand, you should have 50 Dore's shouting that Democrats are a Waste every day.

I don't agree with everything he says, espcially foreign policy, where he as red-tinted anti imperialistic tankie glasses, but the overall thrust against the shittiness of demcrats i find 100% correct and usefull. Dems need left critiques, only that can save the world from this and future worse Trump's

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Mr Interweb posted:

There's nothing wrong with criticizing Dems, but there's a fine line being critical and pathological. it's been 8 months, yo!

9 months & the motherfuckers haven't listened. Why would you stop having a go if they've not changed what pissed you off initially? They couldn't even let the guy the left of the party wanted become DNC chair as a token gesture, despite so many centrists loving to say there was little difference between Perez & Ellison.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Please return to the dems are a waste cells

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mr Interweb posted:

Also, Jimmy Dore has gone batshit crazy. I mean, my god. All he loving talks about nowadays is how awful Hillary is/was and consistently making GBS threads on Democrats of all stripes. If I didn't know it was Dore, I swear to god, it would be indistinguishible with any random right-wing shock jock.

As if all that's not bad enough, he also believes in the Seth Rich conspiracy. :smith:

People like him have poisoned the hell out of one of my high school friends.

Said friend was a full-on Ayn Rand "enlightened self-interest" libertarian for most of the time I've known him, but he sort of slowly switched over to being super left-wing over the past couple years (and also came out as gay), which I welcomed with open arms. And then he fell hard into the Jimmy Dore side of things and it was all over. Now he's moving to Norway with his husband and won't stop talking about how glad he is to be leaving this country to more enlightened places, and I just really hope he's aware that it's not like the far-right doesn't exist in Europe, because like every goddamn election over there feels like staving off an inevitable far-right wave.

I dunno, I want the best for the dude, but I just can't talk with him anymore. He's basically a younger version of Jill Stein at this point.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

Harrow posted:

People like him have poisoned the hell out of one of my high school friends.

Said friend was a full-on Ayn Rand "enlightened self-interest" libertarian for most of the time I've known him, but he sort of slowly switched over to being super left-wing over the past couple years (and also came out as gay), which I welcomed with open arms. And then he fell hard into the Jimmy Dore side of things and it was all over. Now he's moving to Norway with his husband and won't stop talking about how glad he is to be leaving this country to more enlightened places, and I just really hope he's aware that it's not like the far-right doesn't exist in Europe, because like every goddamn election over there feels like staving off an inevitable far-right wave.

I dunno, I want the best for the dude, but I just can't talk with him anymore. He's basically a younger version of Jill Stein at this point.

Yeah man it's really hosed up that your friend realized the US is a far-right hellscape and moved to a country where the "far right" is probably more leftist than our Dems lmao.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I don't blame any American moving somewhere with a functional healthcare system regardless of their delusions about other countries being left-wing utopias.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

9 months & the motherfuckers haven't listened. Why would you stop having a go if they've not changed what pissed you off initially? They couldn't even let the guy the left of the party wanted become DNC chair as a token gesture, despite so many centrists loving to say there was little difference between Perez & Ellison.

Isn't there already a thread to quarantine this poo poo in?

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Discendo Vox posted:

Please return to the dems are a waste cells

The suck zone cannot contain me I'm too real

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
https://twitter.com/ContraPoints/status/893193796871229441

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Oh joy, this professor is mad about the Canadian law everyone thinks makes it illegal to misgender people but actually doesn't.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Isn't Jordan Peterson an alt right youtuber?

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I thought this hard right Youtube-style rhetoric was internet only until I had a US history class in the summer semester (undergraduate if that matters) and when we got to the free speech movement he came out with "Ironically that it started in Berkeley, considering what they're like now," and then he rapidfire referenced the banning of conservative speakers, the existence of safe spaces, and also brought up the story about someone getting fired for misgendering a coworker. Someone old prick in a crewcut suggested using "it" and the prof laughed awkwardly. A massively fat Trumpeteer in the back row brought up Milo Yiannapoulos. I announced that, quote, "Milo Yiannopoulos is a motherfucker," probably too loudly. The professor came out with, "I see Milo as a comedian," stopped awkwardly, and said that he feels he sometimes has a problem with empathy and if anyone has a problem they should go whine to the head office. Then he went back to teaching history.

I've been mad about this for weeks. Spent the weekend trying to figure out how to respect this guy enough to continue taking his class. Welcome to California, I guess, where this kind of thing is surprising.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You could always try lodging a complaint and get him shitcanned by the university :v:

Be the left wing vice grip on academia you want to see.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Who What Now posted:

Oh joy, this professor is mad about the Canadian law everyone thinks makes it illegal to misgender people but actually doesn't.

I looked deeply into this a while ago and from my understanding is actually possible that it could be illegal but it's just exceedingly unlikely and if it were to ever go to court it would require an exceedingly high burden of proof that isn't likely to stand up in court ever and certainly would never survive a charter challenge.

but since it's possible that means it is totally definitely will almost certainly happen, and in turn I learned just how ignorant canadians are of their own laws and constitution

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

OwlFancier posted:

You could always try lodging a complaint and get him shitcanned by the university :v:

Be the left wing vice grip on academia you want to see.

Universities need to stop giving professors platforms.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, they keep delivering lectures from them.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Dreylad posted:

I looked deeply into this a while ago and from my understanding is actually possible that it could be illegal but it's just exceedingly unlikely and if it were to ever go to court it would require an exceedingly high burden of proof that isn't likely to stand up in court ever and certainly would never survive a charter challenge.

but since it's possible that means it is totally definitely will almost certainly happen, and in turn I learned just how ignorant canadians are of their own laws and constitution

It basically falls under our hate speech laws, which means that no, it's not illegal to go say "Sir" to a transwoman, even as an insult, but it is illegal to go "Someone *wink wink* should kill these men who wanna get their dicks chopped." It's inciting violence against a specific group of people for a facet of their physiology/sexuality/biology/religion etc. all of which is illegal. The law is to affirm that transgender individuals are in fact protected by the existing hate speech laws. So I'm not sure what your first paragraph is even talking about. People are convicted of hate speech crimes without charter challenges.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
Professor sounds like a badass. Milo can't be a motherfucker, he's gay.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Monglo posted:

Professor sounds like a badass. Milo can't be a motherfucker, he's gay.

Laughing awkwardly and seeing someone yelling at fat people is a difficult thing to characterise as "badass" but you do you.

I'm fairly sure he can only maintain any form of sexual interest if he is being talked about all the time anyway.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ragnar34 posted:

I thought this hard right Youtube-style rhetoric was internet only until I had a US history class in the summer semester (undergraduate if that matters) and when we got to the free speech movement he came out with "Ironically that it started in Berkeley, considering what they're like now," and then he rapidfire referenced the banning of conservative speakers, the existence of safe spaces, and also brought up the story about someone getting fired for misgendering a coworker. Someone old prick in a crewcut suggested using "it" and the prof laughed awkwardly. A massively fat Trumpeteer in the back row brought up Milo Yiannapoulos. I announced that, quote, "Milo Yiannopoulos is a motherfucker," probably too loudly. The professor came out with, "I see Milo as a comedian," stopped awkwardly, and said that he feels he sometimes has a problem with empathy and if anyone has a problem they should go whine to the head office. Then he went back to teaching history.

I've been mad about this for weeks. Spent the weekend trying to figure out how to respect this guy enough to continue taking his class. Welcome to California, I guess, where this kind of thing is surprising.

You should complain. The odds are fair that he's an adjunct with zero job security and that one complaint could lose him his job for good.

Nobody with a Ph.D. should have such an unsophisticated understanding of speech. And nobody teaching college should have an empathy deficit.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

business hammocks posted:

And nobody teaching college should have an empathy deficit.

who will teach computer science then?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Avenging_Mikon posted:

It basically falls under our hate speech laws, which means that no, it's not illegal to go say "Sir" to a transwoman, even as an insult, but it is illegal to go "Someone *wink wink* should kill these men who wanna get their dicks chopped." It's inciting violence against a specific group of people for a facet of their physiology/sexuality/biology/religion etc. all of which is illegal. The law is to affirm that transgender individuals are in fact protected by the existing hate speech laws. So I'm not sure what your first paragraph is even talking about. People are convicted of hate speech crimes without charter challenges.

Because it's more complicated than that: it amends the human rights code, and the Ontario Human Rights Commission released a primer that said "The law recognizes that everyone has the right to self-identify their gender and that “misgendering” is a form of discrimination."

Furthermore:

quote:

Refusing to refer to a trans person by their chosen name and a personal pronoun that matches their gender identity, or purposely misgendering, will likely be discrimination when it takes place in a social area covered by the Code, including employment, housing and services like education. The law is otherwise unsettled as to whether someone can insist on any one gender-neutral pronoun in particular.

Now that doesn't apply to the federal law, but the Department of Justice said it would be amending its own definition to align with the Ontario Human Rights Commission definition and the other provinces.

So it's possible that misgendering someone could be considered a form of discrimination in court or by a Human Rights Tribunal. Maybe. Again the burden of proof would be pretty high, and I predict that any Charter challenge of that decision would argue that this was compelling speech, which again I don't think the court would accept. Basically misgendering someone alone would never fall under the hate speech part of the law.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Aug 4, 2017

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

business hammocks posted:

Nobody with a Ph.D. should have such an unsophisticated understanding of speech. And nobody teaching college should have an empathy deficit.
I have some very very bad news for you.

Dreylad posted:

Now that doesn't apply to the federal law, but the Department of Justice said it would be amending its own definition to align with the Ontario Human Rights Commission definition and the other provinces.

So it's possible that misgendering someone could be considered a form of discrimination in court or by a Human Rights Tribunal. Maybe. Again the burden of proof would be pretty high, and I predict that any Charter challenge of that decision would argue that this was compelling speech, which again I don't think the court would accept. Basically misgendering someone alone would never fall under the hate speech part of the law.
Doesn't this only apply in cases where you have power over the other person, like employers and landlords? Even so as far as I could tell it was only as illegal as calling you black employee "friend of the family". Given that it refers back to previous legislation all the time, most of which covers racial slurs.

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Aug 4, 2017

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Terrible Opinions posted:

Doesn't this only apply in cases where you have power over the other person, like employers and landlords? Even so as far as I could tell it was only as illegal as calling you black employee "friend of the family". Given that it refers back to previous legislation all the time, most of which covers racial slurs.

I believe that also covers the relationship in education such as between a professor and a student in class. Again, maybe.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

If so I still don't see the problem. Are they arguing for a professor's sacred right to call his students niggers?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Well it's especially dumb because being a tenured professor gives your speech more protection than most people enjoy. Peterson likes floating the "gonna get fired for my views" card quite a bit even it's incredibly difficult to dismiss anyone with tenure.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsT4KU4_vdo

Dude just rambles on and on, but it seems his problem has some poo poo about words having power or some poo poo so no, trans students are SOL :911:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Looks like Dawkins Dementia is spreading to more old white assholes. "I don't have to treat you with dignity or respect! That's my right!"

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

JFairfax posted:

who will teach computer science then?

They can just watch episodes of Computing Forever with Dave Cullen.

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

Mr Interweb posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsT4KU4_vdo

Dude just rambles on and on, but it seems his problem has some poo poo about words having power or some poo poo so no, trans students are SOL :911:

Am I a bad person for thinking David Pakman looks like the lab baby of Kirk Cameron and Macklemore?

Edit: Sorry, I hosed up combining my posts.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
I think I know why so many of these folks prefer to be manifested as bad drawings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMpCj5XQFcs

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

I think I know why so many of these folks prefer to be manifested as bad drawings.

did this idiot just rip off the Redneck Revolt logo and make it anarcho-capitalist?

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
A two-fer I guess?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdxvHz4c1TQ

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I'm going to assume these awful people have come up in detail, but these curdled my milk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvZlnus_OIE&t=470s
(paraphrase) "I have no ideology, and academia is the problem". I'm just objective, hell you could call me an objectivist, I don't read books, but I know the people that write them are dumb as hell, and that's why you should listen to me.

It might even be within the same video, but I'm not going to sit through it to find out. Something thing that stuck out to me was her recalling an anecdote about someone asking her for their help taking down a feminist and that made the reality of these awful human beings painfully clear: imagine a small town high-school that doesn't teach sex ed, and there are some rumors going around that you can't catch STDs or get pregnant your first time. Nothing being shared makes any sense, there's no reputable authority explaining even basic things, and everyone involved is stupid and probably lying for a variety of self serving reasons. You're not sure if these rumors are actual rumors, then somebody asks you in earnestness if these absurd ideas that obviously make no sense are true, and you realize the people dumb enough to believe this are finding out the answers to their questions from the people who originated these rumors. Nobody in any position of authority is going to address these concerns beyond silly irrelevant things like making sure an egg doesn't break to show how hard raising a baby is, and even if you find a person with a college degree in relevant matters to explain in detail, with competent arguments, why these things are stupid, it's a drop in the bucket, and it's not going to change the reality of whispers and rumors influencing the minds of people who don't like to read.

That Texas has the highest teen pregnancy rate, and youtube provides this man a platform with which his videos appear to get on average 50K-1 million views, and the visibility of this kind of uncritical slop is a critical component of how things like the current administration happened, is a staggering view of the future we cannot escape.

That man and guy's like Carl's Jr of the Arcade being on an unfiltered platform, by the passively consumed nature of the medium, will have more penetration of children than books ever will.

How do I get off the train?

Sneakster fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Aug 4, 2017

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

Sneakster posted:

uncritical slop is a critical component of how things like the current administration happened, is a staggering view of the future we cannot escape.

oh, you can't. ive had some pretty candid conversations with younger products of The Skeptics, and it was utter misery. it turns out that repetition, combined with algorithms that ensure that only the same message is repeated over, and over, and over, just breaks these people's brains. it would've been funny, seeing how offended they were getting over stupid poo poo, if it wasn't obvious that we're going to have to deal with these people in the political spectrum for the rest of our lives.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Sneakster posted:

I'm going to assume these awful people have come up in detail, but these curdled my milk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvZlnus_OIE&t=470s
(paraphrase) "I have no ideology, and academia is the problem". I'm just objective, hell you could call me an objectivist, I don't read books, but I know the people that write them are dumb as hell, and that's why you should listen to me.

It might even be within the same video, but I'm not going to sit through it to find out. Something thing that stuck out to me was her recalling an anecdote about someone asking her for their help taking down a feminist and that made the reality of these awful human beings painfully clear: imagine a small town high-school that doesn't teach sex ed, and there are some rumors going around that you can't catch STDs or get pregnant your first time. Nothing being shared makes any sense, there's no reputable authority explaining even basic things, and everyone involved is stupid and probably lying for a variety of self serving reasons. You're not sure if these rumors are actual rumors, then somebody asks you in earnestness if these absurd ideas that obviously make no sense are true, and you realize the people dumb enough to believe this are finding out the answers to their questions from the people who originated these rumors. Nobody in any position of authority is going to address these concerns beyond silly irrelevant things like making sure an egg doesn't break to show how hard raising a baby is, and even if you find a person with a college degree in relevant matters to explain in detail, with competent arguments, why these things are stupid, it's a drop in the bucket, and it's not going to change the reality of whispers and rumors influencing the minds of people who don't like to read.

That Texas has the highest teen pregnancy rate, and youtube provides this man a platform with which his videos appear to get on average 50K-1 million views, and the visibility of this kind of uncritical slop is a critical component of how things like the current administration happened, is a staggering view of the future we cannot escape.

That man and guy's like Carl's Jr of the Arcade being on an unfiltered platform, by the passively consumed nature of the medium, will have more penetration of children than books ever will.

This. Anyone who thinks The Discourse™ is irrelevant or that the stupid idiots will just grow out of it is woefully unable to understand how enveloping this culture is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

"I look like a total loser shooting this in my childhood home in front of these bunk beds"
*puts on sunglasses*
"FIXED"

• Locked thread