Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Liquid Communism posted:

Exactly. Washing machine, dryer, furnace, and water heater all go in that room. Added bonus, put in an exhaust fan and all the humidity and heat generated by the gas water heater burner and the washer/dryer running doesn't go into the rest of your house so you don't have to air condition it out, and a floor drain so a leak isn't a water damage catastrophe.

hi, i'd like you to meet the closet in my spare room ("3rd bedroom" if you're a realtor, "dining room" if you're a normal person.)

unassuming enough. but what's with those lovely 2x4s on the wall, and, were the ladder not in the way, the two now-filled holes in the abnormally lovely section of floor? that's where the hot water tank was. the 60 year old 120V hot water tank. the 2x4s were there because that's what the plumber strap securing the ancient hot water heater was attached to. note how it's just in a regular main-floor room with absolutely no drainage of any kind, even from a very slow drip.

i didn't immediately get a tankless system because i'm just fancy or something, the insurance company made it pretty clear it was non-optional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

vonnegutt posted:

Where do people in the UK store their water heaters? Every "utility room" I've had growing up in the USA is the same room as the water heater and main breaker box. It usually stores general tools and cleaning supplies as well.

Wherever is convenient due to layout!
Houses and flats: Most boilers I've seen (water and gas central heating) are either in the kitchen or an "airing cupboard" where you can store laundry.
Bungalow: Sometimes in the loft or bathroom.
But generally it can and does go anywhere there is space/facility

Fuse boxes also wherever! I've seen them in the cellar, in a cupboard under the stairs, in the main hallway and in one of the smaller bedrooms.

Sloth Life fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Aug 3, 2017

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I have an airing cupboard upstairs where the big copper boiler used to be. Before I moved in this house had this strange solid fuel/coal fire system where you would light the fire in the living room and it would provide hot water and your heating. Even in summer. In 2016. There is now a combi boiler in tiny utility room, which used to be used to be for coal storage before it was converted, most people knocked the wall down to extend the kitchen but I got lucky.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

vonnegutt posted:

Where do people in the UK store their water heaters? Every "utility room" I've had growing up in the USA is the same room as the water heater and main breaker box. It usually stores general tools and cleaning supplies as well.

I've seen these in:
- Kitchen
- Utility room
- Airing cupboard in master bedroom
- Airing cupboard in guest bedroom
- Airing cupboard in bathroom
- Slim cupboard in upstairs hallway (block of flats heat exchanger)
- Cupboard under stairs

I'm not sure if the airing cupboard is a uniquely british invention or not, I've never truly understood what effect it's supposed to have on your linens but the broad idea is you store them on slatted shelves above the hot water storage tank so they get some warm (stuffy, dusty) air rising through them after they've dried from washing.

Also prime location for people brewing their own booze.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Jaded Burnout posted:

I'm not sure if the airing cupboard is a uniquely british invention or not, I've never truly understood what effect it's supposed to have on your linens but the broad idea is you store them on slatted shelves above the hot water storage tank so they get some warm (stuffy, dusty) air rising through them after they've dried from washing.

if that actually works, people should probably insulate their hot water tanks

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

An airing cupboard sounds like it reduces wrinkles.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

tessiebee posted:

Fuse boxes also wherever! I've seen them in the cellar, in a cupboard under the stairs, in the main hallway and in one of the smaller bedrooms.

Yeah usually wherever the power comes in from the street.

SoundMonkey posted:

if that actually works, people should probably insulate their hot water tanks

They're pretty well insulated but the insulation is never perfect, especially around pipes and joins, so in a very small closed cupboard it does warm up appreciably, especially if the boiler is there too.

These days people usually go with an on-demand combi. I'll be cupboarding-in my boiler when it's installed probably but not as airing cupboard nonsense. My clothes go direct from the dryer to a pile on the floor because I'm a fancy boy.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

peanut posted:

An airing cupboard sounds like it reduces wrinkles.

Wikipedia says it's for preventing damp in long-stored linens which jives with my experience of their use (though I've never bothered to use one since I left home and I've never seen damp on my linens) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cupboard#Airing_cupboard

I'm sure it's some bunk holdover from the days before prevalent central heating.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Why yes, this office building is supposed to be a private, single-family residence.

Just imagine how terrible the acoustics must be in this big open room with bare concrete floor:

What 2-story house wouldn't be complete without an elevator?

And let's just put an open fire hazard right in the middle of the stairwell. What could go wrong? The floor is made of concrete, remember?

Why on earth are there 2 full kitchens?! I almost want to go walk this place just to see what the hell happened here.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

Edit: My mouse sucks and double posted.

Ouhei fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Aug 3, 2017

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Ouhei posted:

Why on earth are there 2 full kitchens?! I almost want to go walk this place just to see what the hell happened here.

Ouhei posted:

Two posts for two kitchens, seems legit.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
This one's a slow burn, but I think it fits here. Longass tour, but it gets better the farther you go. jesus, we all dodged bullets.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

The Sexual Shiite posted:

Two posts for two kitchens, seems legit.

Ugh, my loving mouse at home registers a click as 2 clicks sometimes and it usually gets caught by the auto spam filter on the forums but I guess it missed it, I am the worst.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Ouhei posted:

Ugh, my loving mouse at home registers a click as 2 clicks sometimes and it usually gets caught by the auto spam filter on the forums but I guess it missed it, I am the worst.

You're cool, bro, just thought it was funny

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Jaded Burnout posted:

I've seen these in:
- Kitchen
- Utility room
- Airing cupboard in master bedroom
- Airing cupboard in guest bedroom
- Airing cupboard in bathroom
- Slim cupboard in upstairs hallway (block of flats heat exchanger)
- Cupboard under stairs

Also prime location for people brewing their own booze.

The airing cupboard was traditionally used for proving dough, and existed as a thing before boilers did. When modern people stopped baking all their own bread it became a place to store towels instead. :)

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Huh. I always used the en suite bathroom for that. i.e. the only place small and warm in my last place.

But if there's no boiler in there how was it kept warm for proving?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
"Airing cupboard" was a small cupboard or unit in your kitchen next to the fire/aga/oven - they combined it in with the boiler when they were invented. I was related to one of those really strange old ladies who refused to modernise and thought electricity was a sin (in 1994).

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

She's not wrong.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

see you in hell :hfive:

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

This one's a slow burn, but I think it fits here. Longass tour, but it gets better the farther you go. jesus, we all dodged bullets.

I can't believe I watched this whole thing. I don't have the fairy stuff although it's pretty overpowering. What I do hate, though, is shelves and shelves full of toys.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
And she made the video private. The SA effect is real.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

And she made the video private. The SA effect is real.

But...this is a dead forum...what the heck?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Indolent Bastard posted:

But...this is a dead forum...what the heck?

Would you want spooky forum ghosts haunting your youtubes?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

This is from like seven pages ago but what the hell is going on in this room?

Is that like - a puppet theatre or something at the top? A guard tower?

Why are there windows on an interior wall?

What

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

The Bloop posted:

What
How else are you supposed to give balcony speeches to those assembled in your living room?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

The Bloop posted:

Those are glass-fronted kitchen cabinets. The other thing, no idea.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jaded Burnout posted:

Those are glass-fronted kitchen cabinets. The other thing, no idea.

Not those. Below the balcony thing.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Yeah, I was squinting at those trying to divine their purpose. There's clearly a room back there so I wondered if it was a proper kitchen, since the "kitchen" in the photo appears to be just a bar.

The room seems to be open on the right hand side so maybe it's just a way to keep flow through that part while still providing segregation and support for the wall above. I kinda like the way they look all lit up and glowing, depending on what the purpose of that room is.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Because your fake house facade that you have inside your real house needs windows, otherwise it just looks silly.

I'm seriously wondering if it's some kind of elaborate playroom setup for children because what else would justify that design choice?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

mm, I was getting a playroom vibe from the room behind the windows, I hadn't consider it as part of the whole thing.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Original real estate ad said there was a "custom children's playroom" so I assume that's what that is.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

The Bloop posted:

What

it's a reminder of whoever said "the purpose of interior designers is to install as many recessed light fixtures as the structure will support"

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Balcony thing is probably an extension/malignant growth of the mid-stairs landing. For ~greater family communication~

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

peanut posted:

Balcony thing is probably an extension/malignant growth of the mid-stairs landing. For ~greater family communication~

i swear this is the result of sitcoms having kids have spontaneous parental chats from the mid-stairs landing on the way out to the big game or whatever, when in reality you either yell from upstairs or walk downstairs to talk

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

I call this aesthetic "Grandma Gothic"

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Youth Decay posted:

Not content with keeping nautical stuff in the bathroom where it's the most logical/:effort: theme, the Gothma spreads it through the entire house.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Youth Decay posted:

The reason we're drowning in white/grey minimalism today.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I want to know more about that Grandma.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Youth Decay posted:

That picture is almost the exact layout of my maternal grandparents' living room, and it made me nostalgic. Just take away the goth gingerbread and add a big TV for watching Twins games and a magazine rack full of back issues of True Story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

there wolf posted:

The reason we're drowning in white/grey minimalism today.

Give me that over overstuffed couches any day.