Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Le Saboteur posted:

Arcel confirmed in his AMA like a week or two ago that Oy, Eddie and Susannah are all planned for the sequel. And that they've had a lot of discussions on how to write Detta with Roland being black now.

Braver and more forward than I give them credit for. I seriously didn't expect that. Like in my opinion, The Drawing Of The Three would be one of the most complicated of the books in the series to adapt. It's all so... internal (literally in many cases). The narrative is very micro-focused compared to the serial adventure stylings of the The Gunslinger, even with the introduction of multiple timelines and dimensional doorways. Although I guess they'd probably just end up mashing it together with The Wastelands, realistically.

Still. Good luck to them. Susannah is a frustrating character to read with modern eyes, but she definitely serves as the heart of the ka-tet in many ways, and gets some of the more badass moments in the series. I'd love to see her tossing oriza plates on the big screen some day, but I feel like it's gonna be a hell of a hike to ever get there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

That AMA posted:

In the movie, as in the first novel, he's distracted by The Man In Black and by revenge. One of the things I love about the theme of the novels is that Roland has to learn the right path in order to reach the Tower "correctly." We brought that more to the forefront of the film.

The overall idea is that Roland is lacking Khef at the beginning of his journey and that Char is guiding him, we've made that a bit stronger.

quote:

As I think it will be pretty obvious to the fans when they see the film, the whole Ka-tet is poised to meet in the next movie...if we're lucky enough to be able to make one.

We've definitely thought a lot about the racial tension between Detta and Roland and how casting Idris would affect that. I can't spoil anything, but we're definitely not going to leave this important theme unaddressed. And oh yeah, of course we're going to have Billy-Bumblers - and Oy's one of my favorite characters.

Okay, that's fair. My biggest worry was that this was a paint-by-numbers summer blockbuster (and, to be fair, it's still a major worry, looking at the previews), but at least what the guy's saying shows he's a fan and gave his adaptation some thought.

Asbury fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Aug 3, 2017

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Embargo's up

http://collider.com/the-dark-tower-review/#poster

Collider: You Can't Do An Epic on the Cheap posted:

It probably won’t please people who have waited decades to see The Dark Tower on the big screen, and it won’t please audiences who just want a fun fantasy action movie. It’s a film that just sits there, existing out of obligation because studio executives wanted a Dark Tower movie, but they didn’t want to give it the money or the creative freedom to leave an impact.

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2017/08/02/the-dark-tower-review

quote:

I've waited most of my life to see this story told onscreen, and figured I'd be willing to forgive...well, quite a lot! The one thing I didn't anticipate, though, was to feel so unmoved by the film, to flatline my way through scene after scene.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Le Saboteur posted:

Arcel confirmed in his AMA like a week or two ago that Oy, Eddie and Susannah are all planned for the sequel. And that they've had a lot of discussions on how to write Detta with Roland being black now.

She could just call him an Uncle Tom or something.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

RCarr posted:

Ahh the racist take, please go on...

Between this and Lady Ghostbusters, Columbia/Sony seem to be doing a pretty good job using superficially progressive casting to get people to market their terrible blockbuster franchise-starters for them.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/mikeryan/status/892943514346151936

I'd say it'd be easier to just post the positive reviews but uhhhhhh

20 minutes of embargo being done and 0 of those yet

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Just watch a Jodorowsky film and listen to a few King Crimson albums and that will be a better adaptation of the books than this will be.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
well hey, at least we still have like ~4.5 pretty good books. They can't take that away from us

As a side note, the relatively recent addition of alcohol to movie theaters means I can still look forward to seeing this film.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

Guy Mann posted:

Between this and Lady Ghostbusters, Columbia/Sony seem to be doing a pretty good job using superficially progressive casting to get people to market their terrible blockbuster franchise-starters for them.

This film is going to flop just like that Ghostbusters film did for being terrible.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

crime fighting hog posted:

What I wanted: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly but with magic and portals.
What I expected: Zardoz
What I'll get: Watchmen levels of disappointment. I was so hyped to see that movie, then I saw it and remembered all the awesome parts in the book that weren't there or were changed and just left disappointed. Was the movie itself bad? I've heard mixed amounts of praise and condemnation.

I truly believe a mini-series would have been the best way to pull this off. I'm going to wait for some reviews. If it's THAT BAD I'll save my money and watch it later.

Watchmen literally has everything in the book but the squid and the changes make sense. You're looking at the wrong version.

edit: the only changes were really adapting the book > comic books to movie > comic book movies. The fidelity is almost TOO much to be pointless if it wasn't commenting on movies as opposed to comics.

Darko fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Aug 3, 2017

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

18% so far on RT lmfao

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Goddammit. Just look at my username and you can tell I'm a fan of this series. Just..poo poo. I was hoping they'd at least pretend to make something out of this.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

At least point, my only hope is that they don't cancel the TV series. I really think that might be good.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

gileadexile posted:

Goddammit. Just look at my username and you can tell I'm a fan of this series. Just..poo poo. I was hoping they'd at least pretend to make something out of this.

Wish in one hand, poo poo in the other, see which one fills up first.

In all seriousness, these reviews are sad but not in the least bit surprising. Maybe they'll give it another go in a few years.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

gileadexile posted:

I don't remember any "Gile a Dexile"s in the Dark Tower but I only read the first two books.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Darko posted:

Watchmen literally has everything in the book but the squid and the changes make sense. You're looking at the wrong version.

edit: the only changes were really adapting the book > comic books to movie > comic book movies. The fidelity is almost TOO much to be pointless if it wasn't commenting on movies as opposed to comics.

Eh. Not to go into a tangent, but the tone for the movie was super off in a lot of places. I really didn't need to see Rorschach doing Capoeria like Eddy Gordo.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Saw this last night and the best praise I can give was that it was free. Never read the series and it definitely didn't do anything to make me want to read it by the end.

JailTrump
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
They should of cast Ed Harris as The Man in Black and Viggo Mortensen as Roland.

This is like the second worst tomatometer score this year... :lol:

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Fart City posted:

Eh. Not to go into a tangent, but the tone for the movie was super off in a lot of places. I really didn't need to see Rorschach doing Capoeria like Eddy Gordo.

I feel like that's less a 'tone was off' than people who think that way really didn't think through all the implications of the depictions in the comics.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

At least IT looks like a good Stephen King adaptation.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

Mantis42 posted:

At least IT looks like a good Stephen King adaptation.

Until they skip over the scene

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

RedSpider posted:

18% so far on RT lmfao

One of my friends said when this looked like it was going to be poo poo last week "well, at least it can't possibly be worse than Dreamcatcher"

Dreamcatcher has a 30%

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Omnikin posted:

Until they skip over the scene

What scene?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
sigh

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
thankee sigh

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Seaniqua posted:

thankee sigh

:tipshat:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I'm bummed for Elba, this seemed like a solid career move but I guess it didn't turn out that way.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

I think people are underestimating how much old people LOVE anything with Stephen King's name on it. That'll put some asses in seats if nothing else. He hasn't written a better than average quality book since he stopped doing coke but that doesn't stop his books from selling A LOT. The latter day airplane read stuff he cranks out now does numbers. No way of knowing if that will translate to a decent opening for DT (doubt it).

Idris is just milking his current status as "that Black actor in mostly supporting roles that everyone likes despite having seen almost nothing of his work" before Mahershala Ali takes over. Also I think he comes off like that in all of his promo stuff, regardless of what movie it is.

The diversity nod is nice, but honestly I would've rather seen this happen with William Fichtner as Roland (I think he got floated as a potential pick back around 2000).

agree on every point here. Elba is okay but I really loving love Ali in anything he's in. Elba just comes off as bored in any clip I've seen. I didn't know how bad I needed Fichtner as Roland til you mentioned it.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Oddly it actually sounds like the TV series is going ahead no matter what. If they're already this deep into production planning they'll probably at least give it one season to see if it has legs. https://consequenceofsound.net/2017/08/idris-elba-to-star-in-the-dark-tower-tv-series/

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Le Saboteur posted:

Oddly it actually sounds like the TV series is going ahead no matter what. If they're already this deep into production planning they'll probably at least give it one season to see if it has legs. https://consequenceofsound.net/2017/08/idris-elba-to-star-in-the-dark-tower-tv-series/

Oh Jesus, THAT rear end in a top hat? Pack it in folks, show doesn't stand a chance.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

We Just Need Guy From The Walking Dead

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
adult roland in wizard and glass? sigh.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Well, it looks like my biggest fears are confirmed in the reviews: it's just boring. I had a feeling it was going to suck, but I was at least hoping it would suck with enthusiasm. I wanted The Lord Of The Rings, was willing to settle for Dune, but looks like I'll have to suffer through Eragon.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

I guess it was too much to hope for that the "Walking Dead showrunner" was going to be Darabont and not the other guy. Oh well. If DT doesn't do well in theaters I'd expect that Elba's agent will be smart enough to get him out of the TV show, same as the main actress from the Divergent series. Wizard & Glass doesn't even make sense with an adult Roland so God knows how they got SK to sign off on that.

We'll probably never see the Drawing of the Three, but I still think that Steven Yeun as Eddie and Aubrey Plaza as Susannah would be a great casting (or Rutina Wesley, if they're determined to keep her Black and somehow get the characterization to work without offending half the planet).

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

I guess it was too much to hope for that the "Walking Dead showrunner" was going to be Darabont and not the other guy. Oh well. If DT doesn't do well in theaters I'd expect that Elba's agent will be smart enough to get him out of the TV show, same as the main actress from the Divergent series. Wizard & Glass doesn't even make sense with an adult Roland so God knows how they got SK to sign off on that.

We'll probably never see the Drawing of the Three, but I still think that Steven Yeun as Eddie and Aubrey Plaza as Susannah would be a great casting (or Rutina Wesley, if they're determined to keep her Black and somehow get the characterization to work without offending half the planet).

If I had to guess I imagine they'd use adult Roland in small scenes to kind of frame whats going on in the Wizard and Glass story.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

the child orgy

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The trailers looked so bad from the start. Like the glut of YA book movies we were getting. Not surprised by the bad reviews at all.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
drat it. I don't suppose the studio will draw the conclusion that the movie fails because it tried to play it too safe and bland.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

gileadexile posted:

Oh Jesus, THAT rear end in a top hat? Pack it in folks, show doesn't stand a chance.

Hey now. At least it's not Scott Buck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD
"Please fans while being a cool action movie for the general audience."
When will that idea die a lonely death...

• Locked thread