Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Vox Nihili posted:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Almost done testing. ZeeToo made the changes very easy from a DF mods perspective, but there were a bunch of database and code changes that were needed to make javelins and throwing axes viable.

Also holy crap, ranged combat is about to become interesting again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Hooray

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
And the changes are complete, and initial testing seems to work OK.

Here is the newest modpack for the admins, commissioners, and also any weirdos who actually want to test their builds:
https://arenachallenge.com/dwarffort/df_43_05_arena.zip

We'll probably want to do another test tournament to figure out how to balance the new weapons.

CHANGES FROM THE PREVIOUS TOURNAMENT
Throwing skill added to the list of purchasable skills, at a base cost of 20 points per incremental level.
Pilum/Javelin available as a hybrid melee/ranged weapon with 2 ranged attempts. Ranged attacks use Throwing skill, melee attacks use Spear skill.
Throwing Axe available as a hybrid melee/ranged weapon with 1 ranged attempt. Ranged attacks use Throwing skill, melee attacks use Axe skill.
Pike base cost increased from 150 to 175.
Bone pain receptors increased from 12 to 30.
Dark Gnomes now gain Toughness+
Gremlins now gain additional spending points (gain of 6.0606%, repeating of course)

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
So what does everyone want this time around? Team tournaments or one-on-one?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Mano-a-snakemano!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Teams mean more builds tested in fewer matches.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.
Teams also mean friendly fire and massive shitstomping 3-on-1s.

This is, obviously, a vote for Teams.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Jazzimus Prime posted:

So what does everyone want this time around? Team tournaments or one-on-one?

4p teams, with a final two-round bracket of the remaining team so only one grand champion emerges

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Everyone in the tournament in the arena at once in a massive Last Being Standing event.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Synthbuttrange posted:

Everyone in the tournament in the arena at once in a massive Last Being Standing event.

yes

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Can we do one Survival just to see how many axes and javelins get thrown immediately

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
The site isn't currently set up to automatically generate a single Survival match tournament, but I may be able to kludge something to force it to happen in the short term... I'll look into it.

For the longer term I'll put it on the list of features to add. Both a massive Last Man Standing battle royale where everyone is dropped into the arena at once, and also a WWE Royal Rumble style battle royale where two fighters start in the ring, and the next fighter in the queue joins the fight in the very center tile every 30 game ticks or so. Joining later gives you the advantage of fewer opponents, but joining earlier could potentially allow your skills to grow to Legendary+ if you somehow manage to survive to the end without too many injuries. It might be an incredible pain in the rear end to narrate, but after re-watching for the umpteenth time Ric Flair winning the 1992 Royal Rumble, I just feel kind of inspired.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hmm I'm testing out the throwing weapons right now, but everyone seems determined to hang onto the weapons rather than fling them. Any suggestions on what I should do?

Solved it! They require a main weapon before they will throw. They wont throw their last weapon.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Aug 3, 2017

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Synthbuttrange posted:

Hmm I'm testing out the throwing weapons right now, but everyone seems determined to hang onto the weapons rather than fling them. Any suggestions on what I should do?

The arena macros handle this correctly, but it's not intuitive if you're doing this from scratch on your own. Here's how it works.

If you're using a pilum, you will need to add two javelins of the same material (ammunition) in the other hand.

If you're using a throwing axe, you will need to add one thrown axe (note the spelling) of the same material in the other hand.

Dwarf Fortress doesn't really allow throwing weapons, so the melee weapon is the launcher and the missile weapon is the ammunition. Like I said, not intuitive, but it was pretty brilliant of ZeeToo to find a way to even get this to work at all.

Jazzimus Prime fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Aug 3, 2017

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

The flying {iron javelin} strikes Troll 55 in the left upper arm, chipping the bone!
A tendon has been torn!
The force twists the left shoulder!
The flying {iron javelin} strikes Troll 56 in the lower body, tearing the muscle and tearing the right kidney!
Troll 55 loses hold of the iron throwing axe.
The flying {iron javelin} strikes Troll 54 in the lower body, tearing the muscle and tearing the left kidney!
The flying {iron javelin} strikes Troll 58 in the right lower leg, chipping the bone!
An artery has been opened by the attack, a ligament has been torn and a tendon has been torn!
Troll 58 falls over.
Troll 55 stabs Troll 56 in the left hand with her iron javelins [4], fracturing the bone!
A motor nerve has been severed, a ligament has been torn and a tendon has been torn!
The force pulls the left wrist, bruising the muscle and bruising the muscle!
Troll 56 loses hold of the iron throwing axe.
Troll 56 stabs Troll 55 in the neck with her iron javelins [4], tearing the muscle and tearing the upper spine's nervous tissue!
A tendon in the upper spine has been torn!
Troll 55 loses hold of the iron javelins [4].
Troll 55 falls over.
Troll 55 misses Troll 56!
The flying {iron javelin} strikes Troll 52 in the upper body, tearing the muscle and shattering the left floating ribs!
A tendon in the left floating ribs has been torn!
The flying {iron javelin} strikes Troll 58 in the left upper leg, chipping the bone and fracturing the left hip's bone!
A tendon has been torn!
A ligament in the left hip has been torn and a tendon has been torn!
The force bends the left hip!
Troll 56 stabs Troll 55 in the left hand with her iron javelins [4], fracturing the bone and shattering the left wrist's bone!
A ligament has been torn and a tendon has been torn!
A ligament in the left wrist has been torn and a tendon has been torn!
The iron javelins [4] has lodged firmly in the wound!
The force pulls the left wrist, shattering the bone and shattering the bone!
A ligament has been torn and a tendon has been torn!
Troll 56 pulls on the embedded iron javelins [4].
Troll 56 gains possession of the iron javelins [4].
Troll 56 stabs Troll 55 in the lower body with her iron javelins [4], tearing the muscle and tearing the guts!
Troll 55 looks sick!
The iron javelins [4] has lodged firmly in the wound!
Troll 55 gores Troll 56 in the left hand with her left tusk, bruising the muscle!
Troll 55 gores Troll 56 in the left lower arm with her left horn, bruising the muscle!
Troll 56 pulls on the embedded iron javelins [4].
Troll 56 gains possession of the iron javelins [4].
Troll 56 stabs Troll 55 in the right lower leg with her iron javelins [4], tearing the muscle!
Troll 56 stabs Troll 55 in the right upper leg with her iron javelins [4], tearing the muscle!
Troll 55 attacks Troll 56 but She jumps away!
Troll 56 stabs Troll 55 in the lower body with her iron javelins [4], tearing the muscle and tearing the guts!
Troll 55 looks sick!
Troll 55 attacks Troll 56 but She jumps away!
Troll 56 gores Troll 55 in the upper lip with her left tusk and the injured part collapses!
The force bends the head, bruising the skin!
The flying {iron javelin} strikes Troll 52 in the neck, tearing the muscle and tearing the upper spine's nervous tissue!
A tendon in the upper spine has been torn!

One possible issue. The only way to track javelins is by material. There's no indication when or whos' thrown a javelin.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Synthbuttrange posted:

One possible issue. The only way to track javelins is by material. There's no indication when or whos' thrown a javelin.

Well, that would probably only be an issue in a massive 30-fighter battle royale, and even there, it would only prevent the commish from tracking who killed whom. The last one standing is still the last one standing, regardless of what particular brand of chaos led to that result.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah, I meant as far as tracking kills was concerned. Otherwise looks decent.

Whats the pricing on the thrown weapons, and how many per pack?

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Aug 3, 2017

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Synthbuttrange posted:

Yeah, I meant as far as tracking kills was concerned. Otherwise looks decent.

Whats the pricing on the thrown weapons, and how many per pack?

Base cost of 180 points each (times material multiplier), at least for the first go-round (which will probably be another test tournament to determine balancing). Pilum/javelin gets 3 total weapons (2 thrown, one kept for melee), and throwing axe has 2 (one thrown, one kept for melee).

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
I just realized that the team test league still has armor cost penalties for the larger races.

And my dad STILL clowned the competition with his minotaur despite having to pay 50% extra for armor. :psyduck:

We'll be starting the new tournament sometime later today probably.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Bad Munki can't be a copper hammer wielding dwarf.

Frozen Flame can't be a snake.

My Dad can't be a minotaur with spears.

Edit: Minos XXLI's owner should branch out from minotaurs too.

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!

Spermy Smurf posted:

Oh you fucker I knew you were the worst commissioner. :argh:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Spermy Smurf posted:

Bad Munki can't be a copper hammer wielding dwarf.

My Dad can't be a minotaur with spears.

Edit: Minos XXLI's owner should branch out from minotaurs too.

What are you, the cops???

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
:siren: Okay, have at it :siren:

https://arenachallenge.com

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Dumb question - is it possible to make a wrestler with a single throwing weapon, or is it impossible for an object to be both ammo and launcher?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty busy with RL stuff at the moment, so I used an AI to generate my fighter. Hope that's okay, okay bye see you at the winner's bracket!

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
Just registered to the arena site, hoping to get in the tournament!

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Tunicate posted:

Dumb question - is it possible to make a wrestler with a single throwing weapon, or is it impossible for an object to be both ammo and launcher?

ZeeToo would be the one who would know, but my guess is that it's impossible, otherwise it would have been easier to implement throwing weapons.

Dance Officer posted:

Just registered to the arena site, hoping to get in the tournament!

You're good to go.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Decided to go with a dumb gimmick this time and see what happens. :munch:

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
This is the part when I hope that my team can support my dumbass cause hoo boy this is dumb :v:

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
So is anyone going to resist the siren's call of the shiny new toys, or is every fight in this tournament going to open with everyone standing around for a bit throwing poo poo at each other?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Made a Werewolf lady who ideally bashes idiots with a hammer

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mygna posted:

So is anyone going to resist the siren's call of the shiny new toys, or is every fight in this tournament going to open with everyone standing around for a bit throwing poo poo at each other?

I am. Trying the nude duelist with an iron weapon and as much weapon skill as I can fit build, it's worked reasonably well in past tournaments as a start.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
:siren: HALF OF THE SPOTS HAVE BEEN TAKEN! :siren:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Jazzimus Prime posted:

ZeeToo would be the one who would know, but my guess is that it's impossible, otherwise it would have been easier to implement throwing weapons.

I guess it's also impossible to attach 'launcher' to armor, otherwise they could have a decorative headband or something.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

my dad posted:

Decided to go with a dumb gimmick this time and see what happens. :munch:

I think that is half the point of this whole tournament. The tricky part is doing a gimmick that nobody else is doing. In this regard I will be an utter failure.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
I'm mostly playing a race I've not played with before: I think just not dying really quickly will be a nice change!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
I resisted the urge to create a strangler with a throwing weapon.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
I'm shamelessly stealing a popular strategy to try myself

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Jazzimus Prime posted:

Tunicate posted:

I guess it's also impossible to attach 'launcher' to armor, otherwise they could have a decorative headband or something.

Literally impossible. I made an effort post about this just a week or two ago (check my post history), but in short the AI will never "throw" items unless the wielder is currently in a tantrum.

My throwing weapons sidestep this because they know just fine how to use a bow, and these are basically disguised bows mechanically.

So far as I know, the launchers mechanically have to be just that. If you figure out a way to define something as a launcher AND ammo or make something be weapon AND armor or anything of the sort... well, let me know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

A copper hammer wielding dwarf is ready to gently caress Spermy Smurf's garbage fighter up!