Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Voyager I posted:

Witnessed today at my LGS's Modern night: In game three of GW Company versus Baral Storm, the Storm player is ready to go off and the Company player casts his namesake card digging for out. He hits Hierarch and Courser, relevant only in that Courser reveals the Eidolon of Rhetoric left atop his library, one card shy of being in the company.

His opponent untaps and goes off for the match, while Eidolon of Rhetoric watches.

It's an Eidolon of Rhetoric, not an Eidolon of Action. This is the correct function of the card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

The issue with Magic as a spectator sport is that so much information is obscured. In any given game, you are unable to see the player's hands, any deck manipulation, and unless you are already experienced, any cards on the table. You have to take the announcer's word for what cards are on the table and what they do. They don't even have reliable information as they are frequently wrong about cards that players drew. Compare this to League of Legends where you can see where every player and ward is located along with the items in said inventory. Dota has an interface where you can literally follow your favorite player around in the client itself. You can see what is happening to the player and adapt it to your own play in terms of tactics and item builds. You have no clue how to apply what you see on a Magic stream to your play because so much information is hidden from you.

I think that feature matches should be played online tbh. VSL takes a lot of good steps toward being a spectator sport; I just don't care about Vintage. If online isn't an option, give me like, Yugioh Duel Discs to upload all of the information real time. Put ships in the cards so that they can be read by special sensors. I don't know, but just give me information.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Wizards making literal duel disks for streamed magic games would be a 1000% improvement over their current strategy imo.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Augmented reality cards could've and frankly should've been a thing ages ago

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Shadow225 posted:

I think that feature matches should be played online tbh. VSL takes a lot of good steps toward being a spectator sport; I just don't care about Vintage. If online isn't an option, give me like, Yugioh Duel Discs to upload all of the information real time. Put ships in the cards so that they can be read by special sensors. I don't know, but just give me information.

We would have a misclick fuckup every single round

Alaan
May 24, 2005

It just doesn't need to be 100% live. Tape delay it and use the known info to make a digital game board that looks like Duels. Cards in hand, and graveyard and poo poo if relevant.

Alaan fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Aug 3, 2017

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
So where's the digital next announcement??

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
idk if using a notoriously impenetrable genre like MOBAs is the greatest example of doing things correctly you could give

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

You mean the most played and probably watched games in the world/esports community?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

So where's the digital next announcement??

I'm pretty sure they said they weren't announcing anything until Sept. 8th or 9th, during Hascon.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Augmented reality cards could've and frankly should've been a thing ages ago

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
The idea of Eye of Judgement was really cool, but the game was actual poo poo

Magic is a game is good and fun, but jesus if they literally can't get any of their other poo poo together.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
If they are smart they will start having feature matches on MTGO. I think they should eventually move all tournament play to it but that's a bigger change. You don't need judges, you don't have timing issues and draws, it's just better set up for competitive play and much better for viewing/casting. Oh also no cheating, and shuffling isn't an issue, so the only big downside is combo is more annoying.

While MTGO is a buggy mess it still follows the rules better than two experienced players and a judge watching 99 percent of the time. This is just what makes sense though, I don't have a lot of faith anyone at WOTC is competent enough to see this and push for it moving forward.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

GonSmithe posted:

I'm pretty sure they said they weren't announcing anything until Sept. 8th or 9th, during Hascon.

The Hasbro Investor Meeting is going on now and they have mentioned they are showing it today several times but it has been an hour of corporate speak and #brands so far.

They showed one screenshot during the intro. It looked like a updated Duels.

Tainen fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Aug 3, 2017

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

Marketing New Brain posted:

If they are smart they will start having feature matches on MTGO. I think they should eventually move all tournament play to it but that's a bigger change. You don't need judges, you don't have timing issues and draws, it's just better set up for competitive play and much better for viewing/casting. Oh also no cheating, and shuffling isn't an issue, so the only big downside is combo is more annoying.

While MTGO is a buggy mess it still follows the rules better than two experienced players and a judge watching 99 percent of the time. This is just what makes sense though, I don't have a lot of faith anyone at WOTC is competent enough to see this and push for it moving forward.

This is a good idea, sometimes watching it live I have a hard time following everything happening if it's not being commentated well while MTGO makes you walk through all the steps on the screen. The interface is super outdated looking but they should at least have the Magic Online Championship Series be able to be viewed on twitch or something.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

dragon enthusiast posted:

idk if using a notoriously impenetrable genre like MOBAs is the greatest example of doing things correctly you could give

Right now, as in, when I am making this post, there are over 400k people watching DOTA2 on Twitch. Second place is LoL at over 100k. There are half a million people watching MOBAs.

Magic is at 1,800.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Right now, as in, when I am making this post, there are over 400k people watching DOTA2 on Twitch. Second place is LoL at over 100k. There are half a million people watching MOBAs.

Magic is at 1,800.

More even, because MOBAs are also popular in Korea/China and they don't use twitch. Although to be completely fair, The International is on right now

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Elyv posted:

More even, because MOBAs are also popular in Korea/China and they don't use twitch. Although to be fair, The International is on right now

Oh, an event is inflating those numbers. Still, they're usually at the top of the list of viewers rather consistently, so yeah it makes sense to follow the model of the most popular esport if one is trying to become an esport.

Hearthstone was at 4th place behind the two MOBAs and PUBG, sitting a bit below 50k, for reference.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

dragon enthusiast posted:

I'm sure it's beyond correct because the games are arguably more impenetrable than magic is but enough of the information is immediately available just by watching a stream, and having the dota 2 client lets you watch live, in game, with either a human directed camera +commentary, free look, or a system that just automatically moves to action.

Obviously hearthstone is more complicated, but just being able to clearly read card names, see available mana, see both hands, et c etc etc makes the game so much easier to follow if you're not already super into the game

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
They don't even have to build a better MTGO yet. They could have a manually-run fancy overlay for a slightly delayed broadcast, then use the graphical elements of that once it's working as part of a new MTGO client with rules resolution.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Magic is at 1,800.

You're missing the point a bit. Dragon Enthusiast is saying mobas aren't a good example of broadcasting that makes things clear and accessible. Watching a dota cast, they put way less effort than wotc does explaining things to someone who doesn't understand what a card/hero/item does. They'll just tell you that the Void Stone purchase on Queen of Pain makes sense because she'll want to build into a Eul's in order to dodge Kunkka's X-Marks. It's not much different from magic jargon that is completely incomprehensible to an outsider. Sure the visuals help but team fights in mobas are a mess of flashing lights and colors even when you can recognize every skill/item.

Hearthstone is the same way, the cards on the battlefield straight up don't have words on them but I have never ever seen a hearthstone caster recite text in case a viewer doesn't know what a card does.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
You can engage with a moba without knowing what that means though, because monsters throw magic at each other oh gosh that guy died the dude's really excited.

Magic is people moving inscrutable pieces of cardboard around and if you don't know the cardboard you're reliant 100% on the commentators to follow anything.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

In any moba you can can still tell that when a bunch of guys guy get killed or their building gets blown up the other team is probably winning. I've never played League of Legends and I can still understand when a team is way ahead. Compare that to Starcraft where I don't know economy or builds and can't really tell if someone is winning until a big fight happens, and even then don't always understand why someone concedes.

If I'm watching a CCG I've never played I have no idea because they're just a meaningless bunch of squares. The ADVANTAGE BAR is supposed to help viewers but it's a joke really.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
This presentation is hilarious

"These numbers are boring. Add a colour coordinated pony!!!"

FYI wotc is next. Don't be alarmed by the url: http://edge.media-server.com/m/p/e6wa42mt

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
This MTGO 5-0 list change really is awful for tracking changes in the metagame.

There's a Sultai Reanimator list going around that I can't find a reliable list for anywhere. I've played against it a fair number of times but have never seen it mentioned anywhere; I'm stuck searching for user-submitted decklists on popular sites, which doesn't really tell me much useful.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Fans have never been so psyched!!!!

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Lone Goat posted:

In any moba you can can still tell that when a bunch of guys guy get killed or their building gets blown up the other team is probably winning. I've never played League of Legends and I can still understand when a team is way ahead. Compare that to Starcraft where I don't know economy or builds and can't really tell if someone is winning until a big fight happens, and even then don't always understand why someone concedes.

If I'm watching a CCG I've never played I have no idea because they're just a meaningless bunch of squares. The ADVANTAGE BAR is supposed to help viewers but it's a joke really.

Oh yea the advantage bar lol. Nothing draws in the casual crowd like bars moving around.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Digital Next is announced as Magic The Gathering Arena. Then they played a gameplay video which was only show in the room lol

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

There was a video that we couldn't see.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Why does Gideon look like Leo DiCaprio?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

This can't be real.

I'm imagining Arena is going to be Duels with slightly more customization and playing more like real Magic, with a focus on mobile play, stream-ability, and purchasable packs. A flashier version of MTGO that restricts the card pool so it doesn't directly compete with MTGO.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
https://twitter.com/wizards_magic/status/893173622143164416

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

BJPaskoff posted:

This can't be real.

I'm imagining Arena is going to be Duels with slightly more customization and playing more like real Magic, with a focus on mobile play, stream-ability, and purchasable packs. A flashier version of MTGO that restricts the card pool so it doesn't directly compete with MTGO.
This is a good guess but incorrect.

I'm in the alpha, and it's the full duel experience. Targetting, priority, etc. What is unclear is the business model / tournament structure etc.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
*majority shareholder voice* I'm extremely impressed by odric-master-swagtician's positive market outlook

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

BJPaskoff posted:

This can't be real.
Are we evaluating a dumb tumblr quote as less real than a slide with a pony standing upright on two feet giving you a judgmental look over f2p gaming?

Wasn't arena one of their failure products already? Just name it Magic esports Hopes and Dreams; Canceled it 24 months after single digit conversion rate Origins battle Resurrection

Spiderdrake fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Aug 3, 2017

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

"This Odric master swagtician is a real influencer. We should put his quote in our investor meeting stack."

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

TheDemon posted:

This MTGO 5-0 list change really is awful for tracking changes in the metagame.

There's a Sultai Reanimator list going around that I can't find a reliable list for anywhere. I've played against it a fair number of times but have never seen it mentioned anywhere; I'm stuck searching for user-submitted decklists on popular sites, which doesn't really tell me much useful.

The less netdecking the better

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Spiderdrake posted:

Are we evaluating a dumb tumblr quote as less real than a slide with a pony standing upright on two feet giving you a judgmental look over f2p gaming?

yes actually, picture from flagship product feels more normal than putting a random tumblr quote on your shareholder presentation

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

This is a good guess but incorrect.

I'm in the alpha, and it's the full duel experience. Targetting, priority, etc. What is unclear is the business model / tournament structure etc.

Are you saying it's not much different from the last Duels incarnation or it's truer to actual Magic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Elyv posted:

yes actually, picture from flagship product feels more normal than putting a random tumblr quote on your shareholder presentation

It shows that fans have never been so psyched!!!!