Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Cojawfee posted:

Youtube when?

Considering the 3DS was hacked using its own YT app, I'm going to say... never. At least not for a very long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Manky posted:

That and the two Wii U titles to already get "DX" Switch ports (Mario Kart, Pokken)

That's not really meaningful evidence though. Unless you think Nintendo is going to port over every single Wii U title. All it really means is that any Wii U port isn't off the table, not evidence that they will do any specific [insert game here] port.

Tender Bender posted:

We were spoiled by Melee being basically a launch game and every Smash game will have that hanging over their heads for all time.

That and the Wii showing off a Brawl trailer back in 2006. They also told consumers that Smash 4 was in development before the Wii U came out, though it wasn't officially announced until 2013. They at least told people that a Smash was on the way, though that doesn't seem to be the case now.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I will buy the re release of bayonetta because I actually have a pro controller this time around. Also I wanna say that I own bayonetta on 3 consoles

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Zelder posted:

I will buy the re release of bayonetta because I actually have a pro controller this time around. Also I wanna say that I own bayonetta on 3 consoles

:yeah:

I've been holding off on buying the PC version of Bayo 1 ever since that series of tweets came out of Platinum that hinted at Switch ports for Bayo 1 & 2, and Wonderful 101.

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

I GOT CRABBY ABOUT PHONE GAMING
I never had a PS4 and I don't mess with Steam as much as I used to, so I have been happy with a few of the indie titles I had previously not played, like Isaac and Shovel Knight.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I'm playing through Bayonetta for the first time as it's the free game on Xbox Live this month.

I normally detest these kind of games. Hell, even 15 minutes into the game I was like "what the gently caress is this pervy poo poo."

Now that I'm two hours I find it loving hysterical. It's still weird pervy poo poo but it is so B-movie I love it.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Beastie posted:

I'm playing through Bayonetta for the first time as it's the free game on Xbox Live this month.

I normally detest these kind of games. Hell, even 15 minutes into the game I was like "what the gently caress is this pervy poo poo."

Now that I'm two hours I find it loving hysterical. It's still weird pervy poo poo but it is so B-movie I love it.

The pervy poo poo is a weird distraction from the fact that it's one of the most well-tuned character action games in history. I think I only like Metal Gear Rising more, and it's by the same studio.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Can't wait for Bayonetta vs. Twintelle in Smash 5

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I can't wait for that doujin to exist

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

This week's drop.

Switch

ACA NeoGeo Aero Fighters 2 | NA | PAL | $7.99 / £6.29 / €6.99 (eShop Only)
Gunbarich | NA | PAL | $ ? / £5.99 / €6.99 (eShop Only)
Puzzle Adventure Blockle | NA | PAL | $7.99 / £5.99 / €6.29 (eShop Only)
Retro City Rampage DX | NA | PAL | $14.99 / £12.99 / €14.99 (eShop Only)
Slime-san | NA | PAL | $ ? / £10.00 / €11.99 (eShop Only)
Strikers 1945 | NA | PAL | $7.99 / £6.99 / €6.99 (eShop Only)
Use Your Words | NA | PAL | $14.99 / £11.79 / €13.09 (eShop Only)

Switch is getting some Shoot-em-ups this week with both ACA NeoGeo Aero Fighters 2 and Striker 1945. There's also Retro City Rampage DX, if you haven't played it yet (I think I got it for free on 3DS but still haven't played it). Slime-san is a retro-style twitch platfomer. Puzzle Adventure Blockle is a sort of rotating maze puzzle game, possibly with some RPG elements? I dunno. Gunbarich is another arcade game, similar to Breakout/Arkanoid, but with added Anime. Use Your Words is a party game, I think it's similar to stuff in Jackbox Party Pack, but probably not as good.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I never finished Retro Rampage on my 3DS, I'd get it again.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

deadly_pudding posted:

The pervy poo poo is a weird distraction from the fact that it's one of the most well-tuned character action games in history. I think I only like Metal Gear Rising more, and it's by the same studio.

I've never been bothered by it because Bayonetta is a strong sassy lady who stomps on people and takes no poo poo

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

And occasionally guillotines, whips and shoves them into an iron maiden.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Imagine the Switch, but with amazing games.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
I should preface by saying I love my Switch despite the shortcomings it has. It's really awesome.

Today, though, I realized that I'm essentially just re-playing games I already liked instead of getting entirely new experiences. The list of Switch games that have physical releases and are exclusive is short and inconsistent, with ARMS and Splatoon 2 being the only obvious standouts. So while I really like the thing, I essentially paid $300 to play two new games and a bunch of stuff I could have either had for the Wii U or Steam or something.

Don't get me wrong, this didn't stop me from paying $30 for Cave Story+ again or choosing to play Zelda on the Switch, and ARMS and Splatoon 2 are really good, but if I didn't think the Switch would be so scarce during the holiday season I probably wouldn't have bought one yet at all.

And that itself made me wonder about Nintendo's business practices in general. I could be way off base, here, so forgive me if it's ignorance, but it seems like they fuckin' love them some artificial scarcity - is there any reason why they didn't just make a bazillion Switches to meet the obvious demand? Is there a reason why some amiibos are like $150 on the secondary market? Why did they choose to release the Switch during one of the most clustered early-year release blocks in my memory?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

guts and bolts posted:

I should preface by saying I love my Switch despite the shortcomings it has. It's really awesome.

Today, though, I realized that I'm essentially just re-playing games I already liked instead of getting entirely new experiences. The list of Switch games that have physical releases and are exclusive is short and inconsistent, with ARMS and Splatoon 2 being the only obvious standouts. So while I really like the thing, I essentially paid $300 to play two new games and a bunch of stuff I could have either had for the Wii U or Steam or something.

Don't get me wrong, this didn't stop me from paying $30 for Cave Story+ again or choosing to play Zelda on the Switch, and ARMS and Splatoon 2 are really good, but if I didn't think the Switch would be so scarce during the holiday season I probably wouldn't have bought one yet at all.

And that itself made me wonder about Nintendo's business practices in general. I could be way off base, here, so forgive me if it's ignorance, but it seems like they fuckin' love them some artificial scarcity - is there any reason why they didn't just make a bazillion Switches to meet the obvious demand? Is there a reason why some amiibos are like $150 on the secondary market? Why did they choose to release the Switch during one of the most clustered early-year release blocks in my memory?

It's a new console, hoping for more (worthwhile) exclusives so soon was always a fool's errand.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
https://twitter.com/RiMEGame/status/893130726891294721
RiME for the Switch finally has release dates. November 14th in the US and November 17th in the EU. As was mentioned some time ago, the digital version will be cheaper than the retail one, but the retail has a free code that gives you a free soundtrack off from Bandcamp.

EDIT: Fixed twitter link.

No. 1 Callie Fan fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Aug 3, 2017

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

guts and bolts posted:

is there any reason why they didn't just make a bazillion Switches to meet the obvious demand? Is there a reason why some amiibos are like $150 on the secondary market? Why did they choose to release the Switch during one of the most clustered early-year release blocks in my memory?

they did not expect it to sell this much. they also did not expect it to have to fight with Apple over parts.

I don't think anyone envisioned the year being as clustered as it is---stuff like Yakuza 0, Horizon, Nier, etc were games that might have flown under the rader or underperformed but everything for the first 3 months did really well.

As for amiibos, well those are just pieces of poo poo designed to rob you

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DLC Inc posted:

they did not expect it to sell this much. they also did not expect it to have to fight with Apple over parts.

I don't think anyone envisioned the year being as clustered as it is---stuff like Yakuza 0, Horizon, Nier, etc were games that might have flown under the rader or underperformed but everything for the first 3 months did really well.

I'd wager they expected the Switch to sell 'okay', and thought Breath of the Wild would do decent sales spread across two platforms for a few months until ARMS and Splatoon 2. Rather than everyone jumping a Switch for Breath of the Wild.

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Imagine the Switch, but with amazing games.

i don't have to imagine, i am living this reality right now

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Thoughts on aero fighters vs Strikers 1945? I like shmups, but don't like bullet hell memorization shmups.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

guts and bolts posted:

You bought a launch console. This is its first year. I don't think anybody expected this year to be as crazy as it was. Yakuza 0, Nier A, and Nioh were sleeper hits. HZD got massive marketing and is also a super good game. The Switch has had a neat exclusive pretty much every month since it's been out.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Zelder posted:

I own it on Xbox360, PS3, WiiU and PC. And you bet your rear end i'd buy a Switch release on day 1.

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

Considering the secondary market also just sells the chips programmed for you and any android phone can write the downloadable data for you anyway, I can't believe any adult has ever spent over $5 on one. I know some people are into figurine collecting - I suppose. I can see wanting a Guardian for your desk or whatever.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Mario Odyssey is gonna own.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

DLC Inc posted:

It's true I just tried to walk past my Switch and got jumped by a squidkid and lucario amiibo. They just took my wallet at knife point please call the police

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

Honestly Mario Odyssey AND the Yoshi game look rad as hell. I'm super psyched. I've always had a soft spot for Kirby too, but I don't think it looks as exciting (hoping I am proved wrong).

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Dr Cheeto posted:

Yeah, I'm hype. It's my early birthday gift, too.

Managed to snag the last Switch the local Best Buy had in stock for a friend yesterday.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I'm hoping, but not expecting, that the game FromSoftware is making is ChromeHounds2

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I am actually really hyped for Mario Rabbids. Barring it getting trash reviews I'll definitely pick it up. Looks perfect for grab and go gaming.

I love my Dead Neon Nintendo Switch.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dr Cheeto posted:

Yes-y :mario:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

guts and bolts posted:

"That have physical releases" seems like a somewhat arbitrary distinction. There's a bunch of new digital only titles, a handful even exclusive, which I'd highly recommend.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
Have they confirmed if Luigi is a playable character? Or is this like Mario 64?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Al Borland Corp. posted:

"That have physical releases" seems like a somewhat arbitrary distinction. There's a bunch of new digital only titles, a handful even exclusive, which I'd highly recommend.

:yeah:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Morby posted:

Have they confirmed if Luigi is a playable character? Or is this like Mario 64?

If he is they haven't revealed it. In the Galaxy and 3D games it was kind of a tradition that he's eventually unlocked but was a secret, though with 3D world he was unlocked from the start.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I mean if you want to get the cart great but if there isn't a cart don't let that stop you from playing a game you want to play.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Beastie posted:

I am actually really hyped for Mario Rabbids. Barring it getting trash reviews I'll definitely pick it up. Looks perfect for grab and go gaming.

I love my Dead Neon Nintendo Switch.

I read some impressions of a late game area that game journalists got to play and the only thing that sounds worrying is that when the game starts to get complex and tactically interesting, it's already over. Hopefully there's an NG+ with revised encounters. Like the TL;DR of the impressions was "the early game was too simplistic but this new demo is pretty tactically interesting and Ubisoft says it's 3/4ths of the way through the game"

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Oh that is disappointing. I'm not looking for "hit your dick with a hammer" difficulty but I'd prefer if the game forced me to think tactically and made me make tough decisions.

But it is a Mario game so who knows.

Lobstertainment
Jun 10, 2004

Everytime I read 'artificial scarcity' I do a little chuckle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobstertainment
Jun 10, 2004

Embarrassing gamer confession: I owned Bayonetta on PS3 and played for like half an hour. I have since seen the light of Platinum games and will buy the hell out of the switch release. MGR was so so good.

• Locked thread