Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Dear goons,

Nobody gives a gently caress how much you drink.
Furthermore, nobody gives a gently caress what your thoughts are about whether or not someone is an alcoholic.

Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
u guys ever snorted vodka?

i did once, it had 2-ce in it and I was trying to get it in me faster

i freaked out when i looked in the mirror and half my face was shutdown

pretty cool really

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

tactlessbastard posted:

Dear goons,

Furthermore, nobody gives a gently caress what your thoughts are about whether or not someone is an alcoholic.

Thanks.

I believe you'll find that it is you who doesn't care. What with all the posts about it.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

I used to live in the USVI on St. Croix and drinking and driving is culturally accepted down there. You will get sent to terrible terrible island jail if you gently caress up and hit someone or run into a historic building (which they almost all are), but other than that they don't care. When you pick up a six pack on the way from work, without asking and as a courtesy, the clerk at the store will open one of them for you to drink as you drive away. It is actually pretty nice to be able to have four or five beers and drive home without the worry of a DUI. However, the roads are typically so bad that if you go more than forty miles an hour sober you run a high risk of going through a pot hole that will disable your vehicle, so in a sense drinking, driving, and speeding are somewhat self limiting. I just wanted to add this to the conversation, because when the clerk opened one of my beers for the first time it blew my mind. My mind was blown a second time going through a police insurance checkpoint with an open beer in the center console and being thanked by the officer that I was able to display insurance.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

tactlessbastard posted:

Dear goons,

Thanks.

I think the measurement of BAC was off in that chart... was that imperial or metric? Because it's only valid if it was

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009

tactlessbastard posted:

Dear goons,

Thanks.

You don't go far enough. No one cares about anything, don't post in threads, don't pm, don't make threads. Something Awful should be a completely blank webpage.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Viva Miriya posted:

I always thought having a beer with lunch was just being French. gently caress you need a beer in the morning for.

Breakfast of champions, friend

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Yeah, if I'm super hung over a cold beer with hashbrowns fixes me right up.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

got any sevens posted:

The 1 hour myth is so pervasive.

The numbers on this appear to be close to too lenient for some jurisdictions.
Also, legally speaking, I'm not drunk so gently caress u pig

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
crank a 9am beer on saturday and mow your lawns buzzed as gently caress on an empty stomach

pretty fun

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

AKZ posted:

I used to live in the USVI on St. Croix and drinking and driving is culturally accepted down there. You will get sent to terrible terrible island jail if you gently caress up and hit someone or run into a historic building (which they almost all are), but other than that they don't care. When you pick up a six pack on the way from work, without asking and as a courtesy, the clerk at the store will open one of them for you to drink as you drive away. It is actually pretty nice to be able to have four or five beers and drive home without the worry of a DUI. However, the roads are typically so bad that if you go more than forty miles an hour sober you run a high risk of going through a pot hole that will disable your vehicle, so in a sense drinking, driving, and speeding are somewhat self limiting. I just wanted to add this to the conversation, because when the clerk opened one of my beers for the first time it blew my mind. My mind was blown a second time going through a police insurance checkpoint with an open beer in the center console and being thanked by the officer that I was able to display insurance.

:eyepop:
daaang

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Jeff Sichoe posted:

crank a 9am beer on saturday and mow your lawns buzzed as gently caress on an empty stomach

pretty fun

:yeah:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Honestly if I started my day with a beer I'd probably just feel lovely and tired by lunch. Having just one beer at a time makes me groggy and I can't imagine dragging that out over the whole workday.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Atlas Hugged posted:

Honestly if I started my day with a beer I'd probably just feel lovely and tired by lunch. Having just one beer at a time makes me groggy and I can't imagine dragging that out over the whole workday.

When your body comes to expect a beer to function normally drinking just one beer will make you feel great! Give it a try!

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
If you're driving drunk, just drive faster so you spend less time on the road. It's simple really.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Jeff Sichoe posted:

u guys ever snorted vodka?

i did once, it had 2-ce in it and I was trying to get it in me faster

i freaked out when i looked in the mirror and half my face was shutdown

pretty cool really

my brother told me 2c-i being snorted was so painful he tried snorting some water to flush it through so i can see this hurting a lot lol

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
maybe a new fesh, since everyone is established as a teetotaller or a raging alkie itt.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
I'd actually like to see charts for all the different things distracting things while driving and how they equate to drinking. Talking on your cell phone, texting, arguing with your passenger. putting on eye makeup, changing radio stations, etc. I'm pretty sure everyone of them is at least equivalent to drinking one beer and poo poo like texting is like being blind drunk after smoking ten joints.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

limp_cheese posted:

That rape screed is really weird although I love how in the first one they need to make clear that the guy doing the raping is black. Nowhere else is race even brought up but for some reason you NEED to know in that first one the guy doing the raping is a black man.

It's nice that he didn't assume that it went without saying, I suppose?

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

AKZ posted:

When I was in China I went to a 7/11 for some beers and asked the clerk for a bottle opener because my hotel didn't have one in the room. Dude just opened my beers right there himself

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Fried Watermelon posted:

When I was in China I went to a 7/11 for some beers and asked the clerk for a bottle opener because my hotel didn't have one in the room. Dude just opened my beers right there himself

What an rear end in a top hat. Did you slam them all in the store and buy more to take home and enjoy?

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Solice Kirsk posted:

What an rear end in a top hat. Did you slam them all in the store and buy more to take home and enjoy?

I got this FW...

*clears throat*
No why.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

quote:

Two years ago, my family and I attended a wedding. My cousin M showed up, which was a surprise to everyone since many of us hadn't seen or even spoken to him in years. Not for any real reason, he's just a bit of a loner. So it was nice to see him.
He and my sister always got along well when they were young, so they spent most of the weekend hanging out together.
A few weeks later, my sister called me. She was drunk and manic, asking me if I'd love her no matter what. I said yes, and she told me that she was dating M. To be honest, I wasn't that surprised. Of course, I was weirded out and told her she needed to tell our (and his) parents. She agreed, and a couple of days later they went to my parents' house with my aunt and uncle present, and explained the situation to them.
I wasn't there, but apparently they all reluctantly agreed this was okay.
They dated for less than a year, then broke up. I never thought in my life I'd say the words "I'm relieved that my sister and cousin are no longer dating."
For a while my sister bitched to me about him, about how controlling and manipulative he is, then forgot about him. Or so I thought.
A few days ago, she texted me, telling me she had some great news. I called her, and she told me that she's pregnant. With M's baby. With our cousin's baby. She's due in March.
I'm going to have a niece or nephew. And a second cousin.
I guess the point of this confession is that I don't know if I'll ever be able to love this kid as an uncle should. I'll always know it's inbred. I'll look at its face and see only features from my existing family. It'll have the good genes from our family, but also the bad ones. And the worst part is that none of it will be the child's fault.
My parents are upset, but they've once again agreed that it's okay, basically saying it's her life and she can do what she wants. No one seems to be thinking of how this is going to affect the kid. One day he or she is going to find out that their parents are cousins. That'll mess with anyone's mind.
There's more, but I'm tired. Ask questions, give advice, make snarky comments. loquacius has a code word from me.

yikes

dude your sister cray

quote:

I like to tell men online that my uncle molested me just to see what the real perverts will say and talk about. It is not at all shocking how many of them really get into the idea.

No one ever touched me but I've found it a handy way to get people to be more honest.

is the context for this, like, dating sites or something

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer
Uncle Cousin, as long as the kid is in a loving home and the information is presented in a not-overwrought manner, they'll be just fine. Single-generation cousin-level inbreeding is seriously loving nothing compared to the royals around the world. Relax.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

quote:

I'll always know it's inbred

Not to get all Arkansaw here, but that isn't really very inbred. Just a touch.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I think I read somewhere that first cousin kids are fine, as long as you don't keep at it generation after generation

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Yeah I would never recommend it, but at this point the only thing you can do is get on board. It used to be way more common, Darwin married his first cousin.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I guess it all depends on which state you live in for the legality of it all. The kid itself should be fine, just make sure you do the full battery of genetic tests early in the pregnancy to make sure it doesn't have any problems. It's weird, but eh. Globally it's not all that uncommon, but some places come down even harder on it than the US does.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

The increase in risk of genetic defects from first cousins is the same as that from a woman giving birth at 41 instead of 30, so genetically it's not that bad. Like 4 or 5% instead of 3%. Darwin and Einstein both married their first cousins.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
All humans came from a stock of about 100, so we're all cousins

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
I'd advise that you really get that kid into Game of Thrones, and make them understand that the Lannisters are rolemodels in every regard

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

loquacius posted:

is the context for this, like, dating sites or something

Nah, just SA.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
holy loving moley my dude. My family would've disowned them both and rightly so.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

got any sevens posted:

All humans came from a stock of about 100, so we're all cousins

Yeah, we almost went extinct, not that long ago, in global terms.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

AKZ posted:

Can confirm, I live in the USVI and everyone drives drunk AND with their high beams on the second the sun goes down. Two reasons I never drive at night if I can help it.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

This thread:

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

ElGroucho posted:

I think I read somewhere that first cousin kids are fine, as long as you don't keep at it generation after generation

A dude posted:

Yeah I would never recommend it, but at this point the only thing you can do is get on board. It used to be way more common, Darwin married his first cousin.

Basically this. Up until ~300 years ago, the vast majority of marriages were between third cousins or closer. It's only when you have multiple generations of inbreeding that the recessive genes start to pile up.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Heh

It's true though.

quote:

In 1938, thanks to research by the American Medical Association and the National Safety Council, 0.15 percent became the first commonly-used legal limit for blood alcohol concentration (BAC).

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
At a time when the national speed limit was 35 mph and doctors recommended cigarettes as healthy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
oh thanks guys that reminds me *opens beer*

more feshes please