Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Absum
May 28, 2013

I've seen people say you can ride the quadrupeds, I think someone posted a gif in the Games thread at some point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

I'd say that sounds like "finding the triforce in Ocarina of Time" levels of game myths, but then I also would have said the exact same thing about goliaths bending over to fire stubbies at you out of their crotch so :shrug:

Brass Key
Sep 15, 2007

Attention! Something tremendous has happened!
I saw that gif, but IIRC the player basically glitched onto it by accident somehow and once you do there's no way to get off, forcing you to quit the game. So it's kind of pointless.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

...! posted:

I just saw that you want people to point out typos, so...

In several (too many to quote) of your posts, you've misspelled "all right" as "alright." It's understandable; "alright" is one of those weird things that seems like it should be a word but actually isn't. Very, very common mistake. And you've said "okay" a few times, which is technically an incorrect spelling of the word "OK" but that one's a little more contentious. :)

I think others have pointed out a couple of left/right switches that are still there.

Alright. Okay. Got it.

Filing it under: Naw dawg. Ain't gonna happen. Are you time traveling from 1960 and just discovering modern accepted alternate spellings of words and having none of it? :v:

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Aug 3, 2017

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

dawg is actually spelled 'dog'

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Also, "ain't" is a corruption of "isn't" and lacks a proper base word. You should use the latter for grammar's sake.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

In addition, one should never use "mad" when one intends to say "angry". Surely not all anger it's the result of mental instability?

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
But really, I've never heard that about "okay" (or I forgot about it), but writing it as "okay" looks so much better to me because it actually looks like a word instead of an abbreviation. :shrug:

Anyway what this LP needs more of is more appreciation for the Tall Boys who can't attack you. I'll go first.

They're good. Their entry is amazing. I love them so much.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

BaDandy posted:

Anyway what this LP needs more of is more appreciation for the Tall Boys who can't attack you. I'll go first.

I wonder how far they'll follow you, and how many at once you can have doing so.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

BaDandy posted:

But really, I've never heard that about "okay" (or I forgot about it), but writing it as "okay" looks so much better to me because it actually looks like a word instead of an abbreviation. :shrug:

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Episode LXVII: Hack the Planet

Alright. Let’s try this again. NieR: Automata! Route B! 9S! It’s happening for real this time!

...Okay. Just as soon as we redo the whole Stubby bucket segment. And the conversation with 21O afterwards. But only I have to waste five minutes on that. You all can just skip ahead!

Running anywhere other than straight to our Flight Unit will result in that ending triggering. We’re back in the prologue chapter of the game. 9S isn’t going to find any save points here either. So dying or triggering a bad end at any point means it’s back to square one. During this brief window where we’re playing as 9S on foot, we have time to configure 9S’s plugin chip setup if necessary.

Our current configuration includes Deadly Heal (gain HP on enemies destroyed) so we’re effectively immortal in shmup segments, of which 9S will be doing quite a bit. We’re not allowed to access the menu during those parts which is why it’s important to get kitted out now. Remember, all shmup segments scale to our current level.

New Music: Wretched Weaponry (Vocal)

As it turns out, that exhaust port 2B initially flew into isn’t the only miles long pipe running through the Abandoned Factory zone. Seems there are two or three of ‘em running through the facility. That seems like questionable engineering. But I’d say the same about giving androids the ability to cry or get drunk and now they’re one of the few remaining species on earth. So what do I know?

There is nothing new going on in the initial shooter section. 9S’s flight unit works mostly the same as 2B’s did during the same period. Strangely, 9S’s version doesn’t seem to have its heavy attack functioning at the moment. Not that it’s a big deal.

You have four targets that need to be hacked. Be advised that hostiles have been detected around each target and must be defeated before continuing.

For this segment we’re treated to a sort of unique version of the shooter segments. The camera is now locked to 9S’s back as he hovers mid-air down the corridors and we’re given free rein to tackle our four targeted locations in any order. The Flight Unit now controls in a tank-like fashion where we can pivot its direction 360 degrees and fly forward or backward where the camera is pointing. All enemies are kind enough to fly at the same level as 9S. So there is no need to bother with the Y-axis.

The order we tackle our objectives matters very little. Each corridor is filled with small flyers and new wall turret enemies which... just kinda fire energy orbs the same as the flyers. Just from a fixed location. A select few of the turrets do have plasma cannons that will fill the hall with an energy blast if they feel so motivated. However, all turrets buckle under about two seconds of 9S’s fire so... it’s rare they get to do anything besides immediately explode.

At the end of most corridors 9S must take down a Medium flyer. Sometimes two! Again, we’ve done that dozens of times. Though the lack of Heavy attack hurts a bit more there. But we may remedy that deficiency shortly.

Yeah, yeah.
One affirmation will suffice.
*quick sigh* Fine.

Here we find the primary gimmick of playing as 9S. Instead of possessing a heavy attack, 9S can hold that button to initiate hacking.

New Music: Wretched Weaponry (Chiptune)
(The music morphs into this every single time 9S hacks while this tune is playing. There’s a chiptune version of just about every music track in the game in a location 9S would do any sort of hacking. It’s pretty rad!)

We very briefly encountered hacking during the fight against Simone where she and the enslaved androids could hack 2B’s systems and initiate a shooter mini-game to avoid taking damage. The same principle is in effect for 9S doing the hacking. It’s just if he’s successful with the mini-game, then the enemy unit will take damage/be disabled.

There are a few more mini-game types than just shooting an orb while an orb attempts to fire back. Not a ton, mind you. But enough to mix it up. For instance, these computer cores we’re disabling require 9S’s avatar to navigate a small maze within 30 seconds and destroy the orb at the far end. The complexity of such mazes will mildly increase with more powerful enemies. This one is baby easy with barely any dead ends.

As soon as the hack is complete, the thingamajig cylinder is shut down and our first of four objectives is completed.

9S’s hacking is not limited to special targets. Our android boy is capable of hacking any mechanical enemy or system he comes across. Mechanical being the operative word. No matter how hard he tries, 9S sadly cannot hack a moose.

Just about every very basic enemy will have this mini-game in which an orb bounces around firing energy pellets while 9S’s avatar has to in turn destroy the black orb. It’s the same mini-game we encountered during the Simone fight. It takes all of about 5-10 seconds start to finish. On successful hack...

...Just about every common enemy in the game will blow the gently caress up, instantly destroying it and damaging all nearby enemies. There are Chips we can slot into 9S to increase the effects of hacked units’ explosions to make them even more devastating.

But we’ll check that out later. For now we’ve got three more defense computers to take down so 2B can begin her Prologue elsewhere.

If you want a sample of 9S’s hacking in action against a more formidable foe, let’s check out the Medium Flyer. This enemy takes a good 30-40 seconds to take down with concentrated fire from our Flight Unit. Maybe 20 if we throw in some sword swipes along with our gun fire. Or...

...We can just hack that sonuvabitch and one-shot him in about eight seconds. 9S’s hacking is the single most powerful ability in the game. It is incredibly broken. Things that took 2B a solid minute of laying into with fancy sword work can be dealt with by 9S standing around hacking it for 12 seconds. Which kind of makes 9S sort of an rear end in a top hat in Route A with his main battle contribution being the occasional sword swipes, Pod fire and frequently falling off cliffs.

Anyway, we’ve got another one of these HAL-9000 looking terminals to hack here. It’s worth noting that failing a hack, whether by being hit by energy orbs three times or letting the timer expire, will result in 9S taking a bit of damage and being ejected from the hack. There’s nothing preventing him from just shrugging it off and immediately attempting again. Time freezes during hacks/they’re running on anime super slowed “Namek will explode in 10 minutes” time indistinguishable from frozen time.

Two down, two to go...

Man, this is a real pain...
May I remind you that personal chatter during operations is restricted?
Fiiiine.

This section of the game has unusually good mood lighting. NieR: Automata has some nice shadow effects. It’s just they rarely ever come up since most of the game is outdoors in an eternally daytime world. So it really sticks out the few times the shadows pop-up.

One final hack and our mission in (god knows where within this tens of miles sprawling facility) is concluded. 2B can go start her Prologue now. I hope she isn’t playing on Hard. That would be unwise.

Music: Wretched Weaponry (Vocal)

Our attack squadron can now infiltrate the base. You are to continue providing support by whatever means available.

All that is left to do is to return to the central area we began in and zoom back out the same pipe we entered from initially.

Pay no attention to the sunlight making it seem like this tunnel’s exit is just ahead. It’s still a minute long flight to reach the other end. Don’t ask how that works.

However, there is only one unit remaining.
Oof! Must have been rough out there.
The enemy’s defensive weapon is making things more difficult than we estimated.

Once we’re finished with mopping up another series of cannon fodder, it’s time to head out and meet 2B again.

Music: ENDS

Hey, remember this part of the game?

It didn’t register that 9S almost crushed 2B by haphazardly firing missiles at an enemy right out the gate. Kid, you have a real problem with this kinda thing... You really need to correct course by the end of this game with your close fire missions.

Better make sure he’s actually dead next time. That was dangerous, ma’am.

And so our two androids meet again for the first time. Tune in next time as 2B speed runs this mission while 9S just kind of dicks around in a shmup level and gets really good at hacking, as NieR: Automata’s second prologue continues!

Video: Episode 66 Highlight Reel

9S Concept Art – Well, at least the Player 2 palette for 9S is locked in if they ever make a Drakenier fighting game. :v:

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 3, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

quote:

Ours current configuration includes Deadly Heal

Also, hacking made some enemies stupid easy. Too easy in some aspects, but whatever.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
Hacking is good, because smacking an enemy around for long periods of time can really be a drag.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

The Dark Id posted:

9S Concept Art – Well, at least the Player 2 palette for 9S is locked in if they ever make a Drakenier fighting game. :v:

poo poo, now I want this to be a thing, if only for Emil's supers.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Again, too lazy to quote, but Id, you've got 21O saying "for targets to hack" when you want "four".

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I have to tell you that "the" isn't actually a word, please find a suitable replacement

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Pictured: Alternate view of the Hacking Minigame

Arkanumzilong
Sep 10, 2016
Of course this update happens when I am at work and cant post the image I had custom made for it
(Read:some crap I put togheter in photoshopin a few seconds)
Though this does give me the time to ask, as someone who will soon be posting/uploading a pic to a thread for tue first time...
Any recommendations on how to best do it?

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Concept Art 9S sure has some womanly hips going on.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Zoe posted:

Concept Art 9S sure has some womanly hips going on.

Hey anyone drawn by Yoshida does

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
I wonder if 9s has been compromised by hacking this entire time.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The Dark Id posted:

No matter how hard he tries, 9S sadly cannot hack a moose.

That is some bullshit.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
9S is the coolest hacker around. He's so cool he doesn't even have to wear shades or say "I'm in." when he hacks something to be cool.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

9S is the coolest hacker around. He's so cool he doesn't even have to wear shades or say "I'm in." when he hacks something to be cool.

Does the visor not count as shades?

apocalypticCritic
Mar 19, 2014

Supremezero posted:

Pictured: Alternate view of the Hacking Minigame

HACKING!

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

ultrafilter posted:

That is some bullshit.

It's rather difficult to make digital signals spoof biological ones. Thankfully, he still has all those blades and axes to do all that analog hacking!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ultrafilter posted:

That is some bullshit.

hackable??

Arkanumzilong
Sep 10, 2016
and I have given up on uploading that image
mostly because It's something so obvious I am sure someone else has done better
but also because every attempt I have made so far has led to weird resizing issues

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Arkanumzilong posted:

and I have given up on uploading that image
mostly because It's something so obvious I am sure someone else has done better
but also because every attempt I have made so far has led to weird resizing issues

I use Imgur for image hosting. Just make an account and upload it there. If your image is huge when linking it from imgur to here, change the img tag to timg to not break tables.

The Repo Man fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Aug 4, 2017

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
I was unaware the hacksplosion of self destruct caused damage to enemies other than the one exploding. I should stop clearing out the small fry first and just hack the big boys from the start.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.

I don't remember where I found this.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

That chiptune filter is a nice touch!

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Jet Jaguar posted:

That chiptune filter is a nice touch!

It's amazing how well they manage to have like pretty much every track transition in and out of chiptune.

The fact that his playstyle relies a good deal on playing the hacking minigame tends to make opinions of this route pretty divisive, since you lose the cool looking heavy attacks for it.

I love how the dialogue mentions that he's not built for combat, then when playable he has something that brokenly strong to kill poo poo with.

Arkanumzilong
Sep 10, 2016

there, that is the exact image I was going for, but this one looks better
mine was just 9s head on top of a kung fury screenshot

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Wretched weaponry is still the best track in the series. The English platinum games yt channel also posted how the transition into chiptune versions work for tracks that don't have their separate renditions. It's basically a fancy filter.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

FrickenMoron posted:

Wretched weaponry is still the best track in the series. The English platinum games yt channel also posted how the transition into chiptune versions work for tracks that don't have their separate renditions. It's basically a fancy filter.

Yeah there's a debug option that just makes all the music chiptunes, it's pretty great.

FrankZP
Nov 11, 2015

AIGHT SHITBIRDS, IT'S EXPLOSION TIME!
E-Drugs will also usually switch you to chiptunes for their duration, so you're not limited to areas/circumstances where 9S can hack something. The music change doesn't seem to work in the Bunker though, for some reason. (Unless you get one of the creeptastic bad trip effects instead; those work "fine" everywhere as far as I can tell.)

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Zerilan posted:

I love how the dialogue mentions that he's not built for combat, then when playable he has something that brokenly strong to kill poo poo with.

Exactly, hacking isn't combat it's aggressive information retrieval.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Lord_Magmar posted:

Exactly, hacking isn't combat it's aggressive information retrieval.

The information he's retrieving just happens to be "How quickly and violently can I make this schmuck's head explode?"

• Locked thread