Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Yeah I did!

Thanks for the link, I'll try there!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

I've got a high-pitched whining noise issue.

I've got an old Marantz 2226B receiver and a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon (along with a Speed Box S that powers it) and KEF C30 speakers. It's worked great for the past 5 years or so, while living in several different apartments. I moved into a house a few weeks ago and have noticed a high-pitched whine/hum. It's only present when using the phono input, whether anything is playing or not – FM/AUX work fine and are silent.

Before moving in, I had electricians come and do some wiring/safety work, so the room where my stereo is now has GFCI outlets (no equipment ground). Over the years, I've lived in old apartments with two-prong outlets, so I'm surprised this issue hasn't popped up before.

Things I've tried that haven't worked:
  • I've played around with the ground wire from the turntable to the receiver and it definitely fluctuates the noise coming out, but I can't get it to fully disappear
  • Tried different extension cords/surge protectors/plugging receiver + Speed Box S directly into the wall
  • Unplugged RCA cables I had in AUX, jostled around the speaker cables, otherwise messed around with the wires

I've tried to look elsewhere for solutions, but I'm not sure where to turn next. Can I buy my way out of this mess? Do I need a ground loop eliminator gizmo? Should I buy a separate phono preamp and hope that somehow magically cures my issue?

Please help before I give up forever and go back to the warm embrace of my phone + bluetooth speaker.

iluvpr0n fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jul 15, 2017

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Can you get another TT to try to eliminate that as the source? Or ground the TT to something other than the receiver?

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

wolfbiker posted:

Can you get another TT to try to eliminate that as the source? Or ground the TT to something other than the receiver?

I could probably convince someone to come over with another turntable to check out as a source, good idea.

What else would I connect the turntable ground to? I don't have any other metal nearby (baseboards/air vents/etc) :(

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
Ground loops wouldn't be "high pitched", it would be low, at 50/60hz depending on country.

So you get this noise with the tt plugged in to the receiver whether or not the turntable is plugged in to the wall, both with the ground connected to the receiver and without?

Do you get it with just a set of rca cables plugged in to the receiver with nothing else attached at the other end?

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

Qwijib0 posted:

Ground loops wouldn't be "high pitched", it would be low, at 50/60hz depending on country.

So you get this noise with the tt plugged in to the receiver whether or not the turntable is plugged in to the wall, both with the ground connected to the receiver and without?

Do you get it with just a set of rca cables plugged in to the receiver with nothing else attached at the other end?

I'm in the US and this is what the high pitched whine sounds like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEqT-z2H8Lk

Thank you for these other testing ideas, but no winner yet!
  • Unplug turntable/Speed Box S from electricity: whine [so I left it unplugged for these other tests]
  • Receiver: unplug RCA/ground - no whine
  • Receiver: yes RCA/no ground - whine
  • Receiver: yes RCA/yes ground - whine
  • Turntable: unplug RCA - whine still there, but covered up by very loud hum like at a concert
So basically any time I have RCA cables going into the receiver phono input, I'm getting that whine.

I also tried un-hooking the speaker cables from the receiver and plugged in headphones instead. Still got the whine.

Three weeks ago, before I moved a few miles across town, that didn't happen (and I gently moved this stuff myself, so I can't blame movers for tossing it around).

Any clues?

iluvpr0n fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jul 17, 2017

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Try a different wall outlet?
Do you have anything like powerline ethernet adapters going?

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

polyester concept posted:

Try a different wall outlet?
Do you have anything like powerline ethernet adapters going?

No powerline ethernet stuff going on.

In the basement, where the outlets are grounded, the whine did go away!

Otherwise, on the main level, none of the outlets are grounded, so they all have GFCI outlets. I tried moving the setup around to a few of them and they all had the whine, at varying amounts (with the worst being right where I want the stereo setup, of course).

Short of having the house/room rewired, any thoughts on fixes?

Will all phono amps likely pick up this noise?

Does anyone have experience with power conditioners/etc (with prices ranging from $35 to $17k)? I know audiophile people can go nutty for purifying their electricity/etc, but I'm not sure how well anything actually works if your system is actually making noise like mine (and you're not just a crazy rich person seeking better clarity in your bass).

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Thought I'd post a few pics of my vintage gear. Most of it is near and dear as it belonged to my dad or grandpa.

I recently acquired my dad's JBL L100s as well as his Pioneer PL-51. He passed away a year and a half ago so they mean a lot to me. Unfortunately, his Pioneer SA and TX 7500s were sold before I realized and said I wanted them. The L-100s are in decent shape and would probably be impeccable if not for a teenage kid (me) that used to sneak them down from the attic when my dad wasn't home to jam out on them. :) Pretty much every bump and bruise on them was caused by me lugging them down the fold down attic stairs I'm sure.

JBL L100s

Pioneer PL-51A

Next up is my Grandpa's all Zenith setup. Not on par with Pioneer, Marantz or Technics of the day but not far behind. I'm actually really impressed with the receiver.

And a cool Lane record cabinet

Lots of old albums. All in perfect shape. The coolest one is the one that's still on the record player above. My grandpa died in 1987 so that was the last record he listened to before he went into the hospital and ultimately passed away. Pretty awesome.

All the original documentation for the Zenith equipment including the product lineup booklet where my gramps had gone through and X'd all the components he bought. I think this stuff is so cool because it's rare to find it.

Lastly, I have been looking locally and online for an SA and TX 7500 II to buy so I have the same setup my dad used to run. I haven't found anything in decent shape that wasn't huge money but I stumbled on this TX-9500 locally and just had to buy it for the price.

Functionally, the TX-9500 is perfect with a few cosmetic flaws. I figure maybe I can find someone that will trade me straight up for a TX-7500 II. It would be an upgrade for them.

Glad my dad and grandpa held onto all this stuff over the years including the documentation and I was able to have it passed down. Just reminds me that I should hold onto things like this for my kids someday so they can inherit and be like "lol this receiver only has 5 channels...and Dolby Digital? What the hell is that?"

Edit:

More documentation pics of my dad's Pioneer/JBL stuff.

Scrapez fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jul 17, 2017

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
That whole post just gave me the warm and fuzzies.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Yeah, what a great collection of gear!

I just got a new (to me) pair of speakers. I found a pair of JBL Decade L26s at the store for $75. I was previously using a pair of Wharfedale W60d's, which sounded great in my old apartment, but my new living room has a lofted ceiling and they were much to polite. The JBLs really do have that aggressive, bassy, west coast sound, and I'm totally digging them!

The only things I had to do were replace the grill fabric (I just went with burlap for now, but I'll probably get real speaker fabric at some point), grab a new badge to replace a missing one, and one of the terminals for the woofer was loose, causing it to cut out intermittently. I think that's why they were at the thrift store in the first place.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

iluvpr0n posted:

Otherwise, on the main level, none of the outlets are grounded, so they all have GFCI outlets. I tried moving the setup around to a few of them and they all had the whine, at varying amounts (with the worst being right where I want the stereo setup, of course).

Does anyone have experience with power conditioners/etc (with prices ranging from $35 to $17k)? I know audiophile people can go nutty for purifying their electricity/etc, but I'm not sure how well anything actually works if your system is actually making noise like mine (and you're not just a crazy rich person seeking better clarity in your bass).

...if you leave the receiver where you want it, but run power from the basement outlet where it didn't whine via an extension cord is the whine still there?

My running theory is that you have a large-ish RF source nearby and the RCA cables are acting as an antenna, and the phono preamp is amplifying it, whereas the normal line ins wouldn't be as sensitive.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Also, how long are the cables? I used to get a ton of background noise when I ran long cables from my TT to the receiver.

Not sure if I missed it, but have you tried a non-phono input to see if it's the input that might be dodgy also? Obviously not a permanent solution, but might eliminate that from the list.

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

Qwijib0 posted:

...if you leave the receiver where you want it, but run power from the basement outlet where it didn't whine via an extension cord is the whine still there?

My running theory is that you have a large-ish RF source nearby and the RCA cables are acting as an antenna, and the phono preamp is amplifying it, whereas the normal line ins wouldn't be as sensitive.
Unfortunately, it's too far away to run an extension cord to the basement. I've tried unplugging other things in the same room and that doesn't seem to have any effect. I did notice a slight fluctuation in the whine/hum when moving a dimmer switch up and down (on the other side of the same wall as the stereo).

EL BROMANCE posted:

Also, how long are the cables? I used to get a ton of background noise when I ran long cables from my TT to the receiver.

Not sure if I missed it, but have you tried a non-phono input to see if it's the input that might be dodgy also? Obviously not a permanent solution, but might eliminate that from the list.
The RCA cables are the ones that came with my Pro-Ject; about 3 feet. I tried putting them into the AUX input and still get the whine.

I guess I'm going to buy some "better" cables (if no change, at least I can return them) and see if that magically helps. Otherwise, some people seem to suggest sticking some ferrite rings around cables might do something to protect against interference? I haven't convinced anyone with a turntable/different receiver to dismantle their setup and come over to help me out yet.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

3ft shouldn't cause a problem, mine were stupid length as they used to be for stuff the other side of the room and I recycled them.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Picked up this Pioneer TX-7800 from someone on Facebook this week... love that wood paneling, and those adorable tuner bookmarks

With bonus Nakamichi in the pic!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Good work. Every time anything interesting comes up in my local area on any of the sites, it's always higher than the seemingly going rate.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
The facebook marketplace (not to be confused with many thousands of different "yard sale" and "for sale" groups) is horrible to browse/search.

I thought facebook might have a useful new feature on its hands when local sale groups started popping up, then they just completely hosed it up.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah and you need to change the settings so it doesn't send you updates on stuff you looked at. It's not great. LetGo seemed pretty bad too but I got s desk cheap from there at least.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Facebook, letgo, Close5, 5miles, OfferUp... what am I missing? Love that App economy.

Now we just need an app that aggregates all of the other apps!

mattdev
Sep 30, 2004

Gentlemen of taste, refinement, luxury.

Women want us, men want to be us.
I have a pair of Realistic Mach 2s that are vaguely pictured below and I want to get some stands for them. Any recommendations that don't look too terrible and won't topple over when my dumbass cats jump on them? Many stands I've seen won't work because they tend to be pretty narrow and these are so drat huge.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Very nice. Like that you have all Radio Shack gear.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

mattdev posted:

I have a pair of Realistic Mach 2s that are vaguely pictured below and I want to get some stands for them. Any recommendations that don't look too terrible and won't topple over when my dumbass cats jump on them? Many stands I've seen won't work because they tend to be pretty narrow and these are so drat huge.

Get two double-wide cinder blocks (the big ones) from Home Depot. I'm currently traveling so I can't take a picture of my setup but I've got each of my HPM-900s (~50 lbs apiece) on top of one.

If you lay them on their widest (most stable) side all you see is a block of gray cement, but I've had them up vertically (maximum height) as well and they look fine to me and don't really sacrifice much stability.

Just make sure you cut some inexpensive wood board to fit between the speaker/stand/floor as the cement has really rough edges.

I think I spent a total of $8 on both stands.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jul 23, 2017

wildemere
Nov 19, 2013
Try some ferrite cores on the cables yet?

Also a nice ground can be had from the plumbing.

A good electrical/electronics hobbyist could fix that hum pretty fast.

iluvpr0n posted:

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

wildemere posted:

Try some ferrite cores on the cables yet?

Also a nice ground can be had from the plumbing.

A good electrical/electronics hobbyist could fix that hum pretty fast.

I did try a few more things, in this order:

It's still not the quietest setup I've heard – I think there's still some grounding hum being picked up if I turned it up loud, but the high-pitched whine is now gone. I'm kind of shocked that the cables were picking up on noise, because they seemed reasonably nice (original ones that came with the Pro-Ject turntable).

I wonder about hiring an audio/electrical hobbyist/nerd instead of just calling a regular electrician to investigate a full fix for this sort of thing. Anyone have hints on tracking down someone like this in Portland, OR?

*edit*
Cool, the high-pitched whine is sorta back. It's worse with headphones. :ughh:

iluvpr0n fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jul 25, 2017

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

iluvpr0n posted:

I did try a few more things, in this order:

It's still not the quietest setup I've heard – I think there's still some grounding hum being picked up if I turned it up loud, but the high-pitched whine is now gone. I'm kind of shocked that the cables were picking up on noise, because they seemed reasonably nice (original ones that came with the Pro-Ject turntable).

I wonder about hiring an audio/electrical hobbyist/nerd instead of just calling a regular electrician to investigate a full fix for this sort of thing. Anyone have hints on tracking down someone like this in Portland, OR?

*edit*
Cool, the high-pitched whine is sorta back. It's worse with headphones. :ughh:

Where in Portland?

I'm a nerd with nothing better to do, as long as you're not a pain in the rear end to get to with TriMet and have beer and/or weed.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Warning: This is a series of oddly specific questions that are really only tangentially related to this thread because of the age of the speakers to which they apply.

I've got a couple pairs of B&O speakers that I need to repair.

One of my s80.2 has a pretty bad cabinet ringing/rattle that I suspect is from the PO replacing one of the drivers.
The other is an MC 120.2 that has some weird distortion at a very specific frequency: unfortunately that freq is the same as my Samsung TV's menu sounds, so it drives me absolutely nuts every time I go to change inputs or bring up the menu.

Unfortunately I can't really find any good resources for restoration of either of these speakers. I've checked the Beoworld forums but there's not much specific to either of these speakers in that regard.

Right now the plan is to replace the woofers in both the s80.2 with matching woofers. There's some random PartsExpress woofer in one cabinet and an original woofer in the other. Both work, but there's sonic differences between them that bother me. This is not the cause of the distortion, but is a "while you're in there" repair.
Is there a resource that can help me figure out an appropriate woofer to use to replace them with?
Also, what gasket material or glue should be used in the cabinet repair? I suspect that the MDF is probably fine, but the front won't seal well. I can feel air blowing out the bottom of where the face meets the cabinet.
I'm going to rebuild the crossovers and rewire the cabinet. What electronic component suppliers do you guys recommend? (this one might be a question for the Electronics Megathread)

As for the MC 120.2's, I don't even know where to begin diagnosing this.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Warning: This is a series of oddly specific questions that are really only tangentially related to this thread because of the age of the speakers to which they apply.

I've got a couple pairs of B&O speakers that I need to repair.

One of my s80.2 has a pretty bad cabinet ringing/rattle that I suspect is from the PO replacing one of the drivers.
The other is an MC 120.2 that has some weird distortion at a very specific frequency: unfortunately that freq is the same as my Samsung TV's menu sounds, so it drives me absolutely nuts every time I go to change inputs or bring up the menu.

Unfortunately I can't really find any good resources for restoration of either of these speakers. I've checked the Beoworld forums but there's not much specific to either of these speakers in that regard.

Right now the plan is to replace the woofers in both the s80.2 with matching woofers. There's some random PartsExpress woofer in one cabinet and an original woofer in the other. Both work, but there's sonic differences between them that bother me. This is not the cause of the distortion, but is a "while you're in there" repair.
Is there a resource that can help me figure out an appropriate woofer to use to replace them with?
Also, what gasket material or glue should be used in the cabinet repair? I suspect that the MDF is probably fine, but the front won't seal well. I can feel air blowing out the bottom of where the face meets the cabinet.
I'm going to rebuild the crossovers and rewire the cabinet. What electronic component suppliers do you guys recommend? (this one might be a question for the Electronics Megathread)

As for the MC 120.2's, I don't even know where to begin diagnosing this.

Ask in these two groups:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/BangAndOlufsen/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/beovintage/

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

oh my god you're fantastic. Thank you.

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

RIP Paul Walker posted:

Where in Portland?

I'm a nerd with nothing better to do, as long as you're not a pain in the rear end to get to with TriMet and have beer and/or weed.

You're too kind. Sent you a PM.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Want VU meters but can't find an old receiver? These guys have you covered.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pyYCYsyy3I

Flutieflakes017
Feb 16, 2012

only if you've been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain
Boy, do I have a unique one for you guys. My best friend from law school has some recordings of his great grandfather on metallic records. I have never seen anything like this and we're curious how one would go about playing them back:

Also, a buddy gave me a busted Marantz 1060 I'm going to get fixed. I'm pretty excited.

E: fixed images

Flutieflakes017 fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Aug 4, 2017

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

qirex posted:

$290, though.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Flutieflakes017 posted:

Boy, do I have a unique one for you guys. My best friend from law school has some recordings of his great grandfather on metallic records. I have never seen anything like this and we're curious how one would go about playing them back:

Probably would just need to play them back on a 78 setup?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Storytime!

I went out and snagged a Phillips 212 turntable from craigslist because all my other turntables are packed up in storage until the new house is built and I've been itching to play some records.
It's in immaculate condition.
I'm all excited that I can play records again, I take the platter off, take the weight off, tape the arm down and transport it home.

The I go to set it up and realize I don't have my scale, or alignment tools, or strobe disc. They're all in storage with the turntables.
:negative:

I think I already know the answer, but is there any way to eyeball this poo poo?
The cart is a realistic 25xt with a sure 3x needle so I only need like 1.5g of tracking force.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Storytime!

I went out and snagged a Phillips 212 turntable from craigslist because all my other turntables are packed up in storage until the new house is built and I've been itching to play some records.
I'm all excited that I can play records again, I take the platter off, take the weight off, tape the arm down and transport it home.

The I go to set it up and realize I don't have my scale, or alignment tools, or strobe disc. They're all in storage with the turntables.

I think I already know the answer, but is there any way to eyeball this poo poo?
The cart is a realistic 25xt with a sure 3x needle so I only need like 1.5g of tracking force.

For the weight, start low and just make it heavy enough that it doesn't skip.

For the alignment, just use your eyes. That's not really a necessary tool. Or I think you can print an alignment sheet if you really want.

Every picture I see of the 212 looks like the platter has strobe lines built in. If you don't have that though, print a new disc or just use our ears on a familiar song.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

wa27 posted:

For the weight, start low and just make it heavy enough that it doesn't skip.

For the alignment, just use your eyes. That's not really a necessary tool. Or I think you can print an alignment sheet if you really want.

Every picture I see of the 212 looks like the platter has strobe lines built in. If you don't have that though, print a new disc or just use our ears on a familiar song.

The platter has markings on it, but there's no strobe. I don't even have my timing light, that's all packed up with my tools.

I'll just eyeball it, thanks for the reassurance.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Storytime!

This is how it's generically done on an SL-1210, AT-120 and pretty much anything else with an adjustable weight and is how I've always done it:

Balance the tonearm perfectly so that it doesn't dip up or down, and stays at whatever height you put it in with your fingers.

Without moving the balance weight, zero the weight adjustment scale.

Adjust in 1,5g of force.

There should be lots of youtubes showing you how.

If the stylus is a couple of millimetres off back to front it won't matter too much, you'll survive until you get your tools back.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

The platter has markings on it, but there's no strobe. I don't even have my timing light, that's all packed up with my tools.

I'll just eyeball it, thanks for the reassurance.
The lighting in your house should be enough since it runs at 60Hz. Just get a light source close to it and you should be able to see it well enough to adjust. LED nightlights work great for this, but I think technically any bulb plugged in will flicker at 60 Hz. Incandescent, flourescent, etc.

edit: apparently there exist 60hz strobe apps for phones now, too. That might be the best way if they're accurate.

evobatman posted:

This is how it's generically done on an SL-1210, AT-120 and pretty much anything else with an adjustable weight and is how I've always done it:

From what I could tell, the counterweight on that turntable doesn't have a scale for some reason.

wa27 fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Aug 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

wa27 posted:

The lighting in your house should be enough since it runs at 60Hz. Just get a light source close to it and you should be able to see it well enough to adjust. LED nightlights work great for this, but I think technically any bulb plugged in will flicker at 60 Hz. Incandescent, flourescent, etc.

edit: apparently there exist 60hz strobe apps for phones now, too. That might be the best way if they're accurate.

From what I could tell, the counterweight on that turntable doesn't have a scale for some reason.

It doesn't, which is why I'm asking for help.
I'll have to check out the phone apps though. That's pretty nifty.

qirex posted:

:colbert: