Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011

MonoAus posted:

How well does Stan work for you? Seems like it always fucks up when I want to watch something during peak times when Netflix or anything else is fine.

I have problems with Stan too. Several times an episode it'll drop down to awful YouTube-240p looking quality. Tried the PS4, tv and web browser apps and had the same problem on each. Don't have the same problem with Netflix. Funnily enough I haven't really noticed it much outside of watching twin peaks, so maybe It is a peak time thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

kaworu posted:

I also believe that people who are pro-choice literally believe in murdering babies, too. Taking logical arguments to extremes always makes sense.

Ok, so you're saying it IS possible for a scene to be too long? Whens the cutoff for too long? Who decides it?

I'm only bringing this up because you seem very passionate about the show and like to discuss it, but at the same time you want to dismiss a large segment of criticism for somewhat arbitrary reasons.

Thanks also for weirdly jumping immediately to a questionable abortion analogue I guess? Maybe we can get a circumcision debate going aswell and make the thread REALLY good

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Lycus posted:

Was it implied in FWWM that Philip Jeffries and Coop had never met?

yeah, gordon seems to introduce them but philip knows who cooper is and it's implied he also knows about doppelcoop which also implies he is stuck in some time shenanigans which fits along with the rest of the time altering plot in fwwm.

but now we get a mention of philip recruiting cooper, then again its possible he recruited cooper via gordon before he vanished.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Mike cutting off the arm is like a circumcision and it's clearly portrayed as good, therefore David Lynch is selling the message of pro-circumcision -- actually, let me just link you guys to my Resident Evil wiki where I delve into circumcision at a more holistic level

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
prediction: part 13 will be very good again and everyone will be saying how genius the show is once more. peace at last.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Aug 3, 2017

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Vikar Jerome posted:

prediction: part 13 will be very good again and everyone will be saying how genius the show is once more. peace at last.

That's what has been basically happening to me. I was bored at 10. Back in on 11. Now bored with 12.

I just like the weirder pieces. The long character pieces bore me, and did in the original as well. I never cared about the Hornes, with the exception of the younger one doing the worm, so watching him stand in the woods still does nothing for me.

I could watch slow paced cooper sitting in the lodge while weird things happen slowly around him for hours though, even with long pauses.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Gordon's turnip joke was the actual best thing, that whole hotel room scene was flipping magical

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
The show in general just doesn't seem fit for watching week-to-week. gently caress if I'm gonna wait though

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

SlipkPIe posted:

The show in general just doesn't seem fit for watching week-to-week. gently caress if I'm gonna wait though

I agree with this. So far all being a weekly show has done is inspire a bunch of tepid arguments about the thing-that's-not-neatly-tied-up-at-the-end of the week. Half the episodes haven't wrapped up in a very satisfactory way at all, not just in the grand scheme, but on a by-episode basis too. People frequently cite Lynch's "18 hour movie" thing and that's great and all but we've got like 6 more weeks before we can experience it that way so using that as a defense is kind of moot.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Cicadalek posted:

Ok, so you're saying it IS possible for a scene to be too long? Whens the cutoff for too long? Who decides it?

I'm only bringing this up because you seem very passionate about the show and like to discuss it, but at the same time you want to dismiss a large segment of criticism for somewhat arbitrary reasons.

Thanks also for weirdly jumping immediately to a questionable abortion analogue I guess? Maybe we can get a circumcision debate going aswell and make the thread REALLY good

I think kaworu genuinely thinks that anything Lynch does is perfect simply because it has come from Lynch's mind. Like he is impervious to criticism. Which is far from terrible - way more people are like this for way worse poo poo - but it kind of spits in the face of the concept of critical analysis.

Like, as well as Lynch I absolutely adore the Coens, Linklater, Ingmar Bergman, etc, but I'm easily able to tell you films I don't like from them, or list where I personally think they made missteps. I don't at all believe in the idea of not being able to criticise an artist because "IT'S THEIR ART" or whatever. kaworu had clearly made his mind up about the series before watching any of it, and it leads to frustrating posts/discussions like the ones within this thread.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

Vikar Jerome posted:

I will fully admit that it'll be incredibly easy for the show to win me over again. I wasn't crazy about episode 10, but after 11 I was back to loving it.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Part 13: Cooper wakes up, but has switched bodies with Candie.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I thought originally that Showtime was going to let Lynch air the episodes how he wanted them to be viewed. So the first four, maybe the next one, then two more, etc. I'm disappointed its on every week and a single episode, but it still gives me an excuse to watch TV on a Sunday before football starts.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Goon irony: spending 5 pages arguing about the length of a TV scene

As far as "Fire walk with me," I definitely think it's meant to be both. Passing through the lodge is supposed to be a type of spiritual test, so "firewalking" comes to mind. But fire, especially in original run, is treated as its own entity ("Wanna play with Fire, little boy?" and all of the Log Lady's stuff), so it also makes sense that it's like "O Fire, come walk with me."

Cephas fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Aug 3, 2017

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Audrey was an audience surrogate in that scene mirroring the complaints itt.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

part 13 is apparently 59 minutes long. hold on to ya butts! this is it!

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

Cicadalek posted:

Maybe we can get a circumcision debate going aswell and make the thread REALLY good

*frantically blowing my van-summoning flute to get me out of here*

That Dang Dad fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Aug 3, 2017

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Vikar Jerome posted:

There's going to be an old timey cover of in a gadda da vida for the last 20 minutes though.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Barreft posted:

I'm not watching it, just wanted to give my opinion. I exited after the 20 minutes of the sewed eye woman or whatever on the couch, which was like episode 3 I think?

To help you in life let me give you some advice: No one cares what you think.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

Vikar Jerome posted:

Is 59 minutes that much longer than the usual runtime? I know ep 10 ended a bit early, but I haven't really been keeping track of the usual runtimes.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Nah a lot of em have been around that time

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Does anyone else think (contains stuff that hasn't happened yet taken from one of the trailers shown before the show aired) Dougie is going to get shot by Anthony and, like Bad Coop, will be brought back as Coop by the good Lodge inhabitants and the support of all the people he helped? I bring this up because in the trailer, you see Mike and Coop walking in a dark hallway and Cooper driving in darkness, so I'm thinking the shock of being shot will bring about more Lodge exploration.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Jimbot posted:

Does anyone else think (contains stuff that hasn't happened yet taken from one of the trailers shown before the show aired) Dougie is going to get shot by Anthony and, like Bad Coop, will be brought back as Coop by the good Lodge inhabitants and the support of all the people he helped? I bring this up because in the trailer, you see Mike and Coop walking in a dark hallway and Cooper driving in darkness, so I'm thinking the shock of being shot will bring about more Lodge exploration.

On this note, given that Cooper has been partially awakened by various stimulus, would a upcoming gunshot trigger memories of being shot at the great northern? I mean surely badges and red heels are a level below a gut shot.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Ike coming at him with a gun turned him into Action Cooper With Kung Fu Grip but Super Mario Mitchum pointing one at him did nothing (though at the time he was probably distracted by pie), so who knows for sure.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

CJacobs posted:

Ike coming at him with a gun turned him into Action Cooper With Kung Fu Grip but Super Mario Mitchum pointing one at him did nothing (though at the time he was probably distracted by pie), so who knows for sure.

He disarmed Ike with kung-fu grip, and he disarmed the Mitchums with cherry pie and a check for $30 mil. Same effect, different methods.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Speaking of which, Coop just standing there completely gormless in the background of that scene while Luigi Mitchum freaks the gently caress out about the box is absolutely hilarious. I recommend you all rewatch that scene while keeping your eyes trained on him in the back.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

hot tip: put anime avatars on ignore and the thread becomes not terrible

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
Pretty much every episode had me saying "its over already?" at the end. The Audrey scene was hilarious and bizarre, cmon Audrey! Also Ruth Radalet of the Chromatics is dreamy

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Seriously though, when are we getting the Deputy Briggs: Police Investigation spinoff

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

CJacobs posted:

Seriously though, when are we getting the Deputy Briggs: Police Investigation spinoff

Never. Next episode Hawk stumbles upon the long forgotten remains of a missing deputy from a nearby town which reopens a cold case with a surprising culprit

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Tolkien minority posted:

hot tip: put anime avatars on ignore and the thread becomes not terrible

Ignore is for babies.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

I think kaworu genuinely thinks that anything Lynch does is perfect simply because it has come from Lynch's mind. Like he is impervious to criticism. Which is far from terrible - way more people are like this for way worse poo poo - but it kind of spits in the face of the concept of critical analysis.

Like, as well as Lynch I absolutely adore the Coens, Linklater, Ingmar Bergman, etc, but I'm easily able to tell you films I don't like from them, or list where I personally think they made missteps. I don't at all believe in the idea of not being able to criticise an artist because "IT'S THEIR ART" or whatever. kaworu had clearly made his mind up about the series before watching any of it, and it leads to frustrating posts/discussions like the ones within this thread.

I'm actually kinda annoyed at anyone making posts that presume what I think or believe, but whatever :(. That's not all that cool, and it isn't really something I'd even think to do to someone, so I'm a little taken aback by that, especially since I have no clue who you are other than another poster here. In 13 years on SA I don't think another poster has ever told me what I genuinely think or believe. Especially someone who has never met me; I hope you at least went through my entire post history and hired a PI. For the record, I absolutely do not think Lynch is impervious to criticism, and I have not made up my mind entirely.

There's a lot of Lynch films I don't particularly like. I've never thought that much of Wild at Heart, I think Mulholland Drive is a bit overrated and indulgent at times. Inland Empire, for all its genius, is not a particularly "watchable" film in any traditional sense. The same goes for Twin Peaks: The Return at times, which is what seems to be controversial. I get why people hate the Audrey scene and it isn't as if I don't understand where that's coming from. I just think it kinda represents a fundamental disconnect for the people who are watching this show solely to be entertained and watch a TV show, as opposed to someone like me who is watching this series literally as art, and isn't concerned with pacing or 'momentum' or whether a scene is "boring" or not. Boring isn't necessarily bad; its one of many feelings the an artist or filmmaker may impart to his viewers if he so desires.

Maybe that's part of the fundamental disconnect? I don't necessarily view a scene that is "boring" or especially slow (or a scene where nothing at all important seems to happen) as a bad or negative thing in film or television. Lots of my favorites films have many scenes where very little beyond the mundane happens, and such scene can be rife with meaning and beauty. I'm not saying the Audrey scene is fantastic, or a masterpiece, but I did find it both interesting and illuminating, as well as amusingly audacious on the part of Lynch, introducing a fan-favorite character this late in the game in such a manner.

I already like David Lynch a great deal as an artist, and while Twin Peaks airs I'm not going to give any sort of serious criticism of it until it's all over; I'm enjoying watching it as it airs for the first time too much, especially after ~15 years of expecting that it would never in a million years be properly revived. I like theorizing over episodes and giving general responses and of course I respect the opinions of others. But I'm still allowed to get frustrated when I feel like people are rushing to judge a scene for a reason that I don't necessarily think is valid or fair, especially given the kind of director Lynch is and TP's track record.

But I didn't mean to cause a whole big thing (seriously!) so I feel kinda bad and wish we could all go back to getting along :(

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

kaworu posted:

I'm actually kinda annoyed at anyone making posts that presume what I think or believe, but whatever :(. That's not all that cool, and it isn't really something I'd even think to do to someone, so I'm a little taken aback by that, especially since I have no clue who you are other than another poster here. In 13 years on SA I don't think another poster has ever told me what I genuinely think or believe

do you live in twin peaks? are you literally a character in the tv show we are watching?

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

You can't see this post. Click here to view it

kaworu posted:

I'm actually kinda annoyed at anyone making posts that presume what I think or believe, but whatever :(. That's not all that cool, and it isn't really something I'd even think to do to someone, so I'm a little taken aback by that, especially since I have no clue who you are other than another poster here. In 13 years on SA I don't think another poster has ever told me what I genuinely think or believe. Especially someone who has never met me; I hope you at least went through my entire post history and hired a PI. For the record, I absolutely do not think Lynch is impervious to criticism, and I have not made up my mind entirely.

There's a lot of Lynch films I don't particularly like. I've never thought that much of Wild at Heart, I think Mulholland Drive is a bit overrated and indulgent at times. Inland Empire, for all its genius, is not a particularly "watchable" film in any traditional sense. The same goes for Twin Peaks: The Return at times, which is what seems to be controversial. I get why people hate the Audrey scene and it isn't as if I don't understand where that's coming from. I just think it kinda represents a fundamental disconnect for the people who are watching this show solely to be entertained and watch a TV show, as opposed to someone like me who is watching this series literally as art, and isn't concerned with pacing or 'momentum' or whether a scene is "boring" or not. Boring isn't necessarily bad; its one of many feelings the an artist or filmmaker may impart to his viewers if he so desires.

Maybe that's part of the fundamental disconnect? I don't necessarily view a scene that is "boring" or especially slow (or a scene where nothing at all important seems to happen) as a bad or negative thing in film or television. Lots of my favorites films have many scenes where very little beyond the mundane happens, and such scene can be rife with meaning and beauty. I'm not saying the Audrey scene is fantastic, or a masterpiece, but I did find it both interesting and illuminating, as well as amusingly audacious on the part of Lynch, introducing a fan-favorite character this late in the game in such a manner.

I already like David Lynch a great deal as an artist, and while Twin Peaks airs I'm not going to give any sort of serious criticism of it until it's all over; I'm enjoying watching it as it airs for the first time too much, especially after ~15 years of expecting that it would never in a million years be properly revived. I like theorizing over episodes and giving general responses and of course I respect the opinions of others. But I'm still allowed to get frustrated when I feel like people are rushing to judge a scene for a reason that I don't necessarily think is valid or fair, especially given the kind of director Lynch is and TP's track record.

But I didn't mean to cause a whole big thing (seriously!) so I feel kinda bad and wish we could all go back to getting along :(

Just recognize that art and entertainment are subjective, and don't spend so much time on defending something that other people don't like. Like, one and done is fine. Writing lots of paragraphs makes people angry around here, because effort.

Also I thought that scene was boring, took me out of the episode completely and was way way way too long.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
kaworu you don't make it easy for yourself by saying the "people who hated the Audrey scene are just watching for entertainment" thing in every single drat post. It's INSANELY condescending, man.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
I'm afraid of how bad this thread is going to be if we don't get a good episode next week

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Thom and the Heads posted:

I'm afraid of how bad this thread is going to be if we don't get a good episode next week

If there are two controversial scenes, at least we'll get to split the discussion between them. :thumbsup:

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I love the show, but there are plenty of scenes and threads that run way too long in s3, for too little reward (so far). As much as I love the unfettered Lynchness of the whole thing, I do wish he had a more objective editor working with him. Where I felt like FWWM should have been its own entire season and suffered from being crammed into a single feature, I feel like S3 could have been more satisfying as a 12 episode series. Of course, it's not over yet and I might eat those words.

That said, the worst scenes of S3 are not even remotely in the same realm of badness that the worst of S2 had to offer, and I have a hard time understanding how anyone who's actually watched the whole series would be upset about it. Likewise, the pacing is better in S1, but S3 is arguably a lot deeper and more interesting if you can be patient with it.

If you don't care much about the metaphysical poo poo in Twin Peaks and really just care about what happened to Audrey and Donna and James, yeah I can see being disappointed in the new stuff. We're not going to see another Miss Twin Peaks contest or James' Inconsequential Adventures With Married Women. Sorry.

But all of that, for me, has been a sideshow for the series. Window dressing for the weird bits to give them context and help you relate. Without the Lodges, Twin Peaks is literally a soap opera, and if that's what you want there are a shitload of other shows you'll like more than this season.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Episode 13 is a full 59 minutes long

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

prediction: Nadine is gonna leave Ed for Dr Amp and that'll be the catalyst for him and Norma finally getting together after fuckin decades