Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

The Midniter posted:

If you don't get rid of the initial too-heavy layer of "seasoning", it is going to eventually flake off by itself, leaving bare iron underneath, and in an uneven fashion. Even if you go the route of "just use it" to season it, I'd still recommend scrubbing it bare before you start cooking with it.

Scrubbing it with soap and hot water?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I have a bunch of pans and such but truth be told 98% of the time I just grab my family heirloom 10 inch cast iron and cook with it. I don't even take it off the stovetop I use it so much.

:same:

And also the case for everyone that I know who has a 10 inch cast iron skillet. Is there a more perfect pan?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

And also the case for everyone that I know who has a 10 inch cast iron skillet. Is there a more perfect pan?

beep boop matfer bourgeat 11 7/8" master race

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
How the hell do I come up with recipes wholesale? Most of my original recipes boil down to Mash Ingredient A Into Recipe B.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
Took the pan out of the oven, cooled it. Scrubbed it with dry coarse salt, rinsed, dried thorhoughly. Reapplied some pure vegetable oil I found until it looked 'wet' and put it back in the oven for 1 hour at 450*

I probably ruined this pan.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

GrAviTy84 posted:

beep boop matfer bourgeat 11 7/8" master race
Already bought one of these, but going to have to wait to actually get it. Did you seasoned yours with the potato skin method? How does the exterior get seasoned?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Uncle w Benefits posted:

Took the pan out of the oven, cooled it. Scrubbed it with dry coarse salt, rinsed, dried thorhoughly. Reapplied some pure vegetable oil I found until it looked 'wet' and put it back in the oven for 1 hour at 450*

You didn't ruin it. It's cast iron, there's no such thing.

When it's back out of the oven take a pic and post it here. We'll help you, buddy.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
I'm overthinking it and turning a simple, basic cooking tool into a delicate and high-tech kitchen aid.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Uncle w Benefits posted:

I've fixed my cast iron as follows:

Clean pan (my seasoning was half done so I striped old seasoning in oven's clean cycle), rinse thoroughly.
Warm up pan at 350 for a few minutes (dries and helps next step).
Take pan out and rub oil all over.
Wipe oil off of the pan with paper towel .
Put back in oven upside down, 10min while you set oven for 450 (or 420?)
Take pan out, wipe oil off again with paper towel.
Put pan in 450 (or 420?) oven for 1 hour.
Turn off oven after 1 hour, don't open, let pan cool inside.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
Here it is. This is after a single treatment of pure vegetable oil and 50 minutes in the oven at 350 degrees. I wonder if the yellow residue is perhaps some unpolymerized fat that I need to scrape off after it cools

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Yellow dust and any other stuff that comes off easily is just your pan's way of playing survival of the fittest with its seasoning. Well seasoned oil stays, weak puny oil scrapes off or flakes off. You're doing fine! Just cook with it a lot and everything will course-correct on its own.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
is it sticky? that's all you need to worry about really.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Uncle w Benefits posted:

Here it is. This is after a single treatment of pure vegetable oil and 50 minutes in the oven at 350 degrees. I wonder if the yellow residue is perhaps some unpolymerized fat that I need to scrape off after it cools

Looks like it went on a bit thick, but I could be wrong. Does it feel tacky or sticky at all?

If you just cook with it, all will be well. I bought a 6'' skillet from the thrift store recently, scrubbed it with steel wool, and just started using it, and it's working just fine. The seasoning is what I would call terrible, but that'll fix itself.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

rgocs posted:

Already bought one of these, but going to have to wait to actually get it. Did you seasoned yours with the potato skin method? How does the exterior get seasoned?

I have a jet burner I use for wok cooking so I just coated it with canola oil using a paper towel and heated the ever living poo poo out of it and rubbed it all over with that paper towel while hot. the latter part, in hindsight, was quite dangerous because 128k BTU heats carbon steel very much to oil flash point. :supaburn:

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

GrAviTy84 posted:

I have a jet burner I use for wok cooking so I just coated it with canola oil using a paper towel and heated the ever living poo poo out of it and rubbed it all over with that paper towel while hot. the latter part, in hindsight, was quite dangerous because 128k BTU heats carbon steel very much to oil flash point. :supaburn:

Regarding this pan, how do you use it? Do you still use a non-stick for eggs? Is this pan for searing or what exactly?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

nwiniwn posted:

Regarding this pan, how do you use it? Do you still use a non-stick for eggs? Is this pan for searing or what exactly?

it's a lighter, faster heating cast iron pan with a less annoying handle. Ive done eggs in it no problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRLwZQHpeZQ

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i've been meaning to get one since i find my 12" lodge too heavy and awkward for most uses

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Uncle w Benefits posted:

Can this iron skillet effectively replace a plain stainless steel frying pan? I can brown beef, make risotto, etc in it, correct?

It wouldn't for me. I did try using nothing but cast iron for several years and it was doable but now I use it mostly for high temperature cooking and making cornbread. If feeling nostalgic and unhealthy I'll fry bacon and poach eggs in the fat. I gave up my Dutch ovens and crockware for an Instantpot and never looked back. Stainless is nice because it takes so much abuse and acidic sauces don't bother it. Teflon is nice because you can cook an egg or fish without being overly worried about sticking and cleanup is a breeze. The downside of teflon is they are cheaply constructed and disposable. If I were starting over from scratch I would buy a 10" or 12" cast iron skillet, a 12" stainless skillet, an Instantpot and then some nice thick bottomed pots. I can't make any recommendations on brands because I bought willy-nilly but my 2 favorite pots are Martha Stewart of all things. I also have some really nice Wearever that is a close second, not sure if they are still making nice stuff.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Is a carbon steel pan worth picking up if I have an electric stove? I currently have a mix of tri-ply, nonstick, and cast iron, so I guess I'm not dying for a new pan (but new poo poo is always nice :D).

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

wormil posted:

It wouldn't for me. I did try using nothing but cast iron for several years and it was doable but now I use it mostly for high temperature cooking and making cornbread. If feeling nostalgic and unhealthy I'll fry bacon and poach eggs in the fat. I gave up my Dutch ovens and crockware for an Instantpot and never looked back. Stainless is nice because it takes so much abuse and acidic sauces don't bother it. Teflon is nice because you can cook an egg or fish without being overly worried about sticking and cleanup is a breeze. The downside of teflon is they are cheaply constructed and disposable. If I were starting over from scratch I would buy a 10" or 12" cast iron skillet, a 12" stainless skillet, an Instantpot and then some nice thick bottomed pots. I can't make any recommendations on brands because I bought willy-nilly but my 2 favorite pots are Martha Stewart of all things. I also have some really nice Wearever that is a close second, not sure if they are still making nice stuff.

What is an instant pot? A pressure cooker?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Uncle w Benefits posted:

What is an instant pot? A pressure cooker?

Yes, an electric one. instantpot.com

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Any recommendation for cooking asian swamp eel? Does it taste the same as true eels?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Any recommendation for cooking asian swamp eel? Does it taste the same as true eels?

I have no loving clue, but this might be my favorite question ever in this thread

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
eat the eel jeb

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I have no loving clue, but this might be my favorite question ever in this thread

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
After all seasoning it came out sticky af. I'll just cook with it and wash, dry, season with a *tiny* amount of oil while it's warm.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I know I'm going to get completely torn to pieces for this, but why bother seasoning a pan? Don't you just fry a lot of stuff in it and it takes care of itself? I've got a cast iron pan that I've had for a couple of decades, it's never been seasoned, and it's great.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I'm p confused about seasoning difficulties. You basically just heat the everloving poo poo out of the pan. If you're not sure if it was seasoned right, keep heating it. If you're not sure if it's done seasoning, keep heating it. Put a bit of oil on it, heat it until it stops smoking.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Scientastic posted:

I know I'm going to get completely torn to pieces for this, but why bother seasoning a pan? Don't you just fry a lot of stuff in it and it takes care of itself? I've got a cast iron pan that I've had for a couple of decades, it's never been seasoned, and it's great.
It was seasoned when you got it. A literally unseasoned pan will start rusting more or less instantly. You don't want a literally unseasoned pan. Nobody sells unseasoned pans, though, so you're basically right: when you get a cast iron pan, just cook stuff, don't bother worrying about it.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Uncle w Benefits posted:

If I'm interested in getting a few quality pieces of cookware to last '4 lyfe,' could I go wrong with Le Creuset? At $200 for a 12'' iron skillet and $100 for a casserole, I should hope not.

With these very pricey dishes, though, I need to replace probably a kitchen worth of cookware sets that come with 20+ pieces, of which 16 are never used and just take up space. Can this iron skillet effectively replace a plain stainless steel frying pan? I can brown beef, make risotto, etc in it, correct?

Get one good All-clad frying pan, they are a kind of pricey but they last a lifetime and nobody makes a better pan.

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Aug 3, 2017

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Squashy Nipples posted:

Buy cheapass mineral oil at your local drugstore.

It will be heavy oil, which is harder to rub in, but it will work. You can buy light mineral oil, but it will cost a little more, and you might have to source it online.

Real stupid question, but is all mineral oil food safe? I thought you had to get specific kind of cutting boards?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

CzarChasm posted:

Real stupid question, but is all mineral oil food safe? I thought you had to get specific kind of cutting boards?

It's perfectly food safe, you don't want to swallow a bunch of it because it's a laxative which is why the pharmacy carries it. The amount left as residue on a cutting board won't have a laxative effect.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Just had an interesting conversation with my fiance as I was making burgers on the grill tonight. It was pre-ground beef she bought at the store a few days ago, which I had frozen and just unthawed today, so I figured I should definitely cook them all the way through to at least 165. Ever since I've had an interest in cooking, I've read and heard that unless you grind the meat yourself or know it was ground that day, you cook the poo poo out of the meat.

She had another take. All her family has ever bought is ground beef or pre-made unfrozen patties, and they always just cooked them medium rare or medium, and figure that's the norm. This of course, didn't come up, until the burger were already at 155 and she was wondering why I was still cooking them.

So-has she just been lucky her whole life or am I wrong in what I've been taught?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You're technically correct but her experience is more the norm. Imo compromise by doing smash burgs with store bought and in return you stop making meat pucks.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

CzarChasm posted:

NOT ALL MINERAL OIL IS FOOD SAFE!! This might be obvious to most of you, but let me just put a warning out there. Mineral oil is a liquid by-product of refining crude oil to make gasoline and other petroleum products. In order for it to be food safe, it needs to be HIGHLY refined, and sold as such. Do not use mineral oil intended for lubrication, heating oil, horticultural use, candle-making, or other industrial processes on any surface intended for food contact.

However, feel free to use any food, medical, or even veterinary grade mineral oil on your cutting board. All of those are fine!

They were just talking about it in the Crappy Construction thread, actually.

NancyPants posted:

Wood is thirsty. I played with that 3oz bottle of board oil that my husband insisted on until I decided it was a scam and just mineral oil anyway. That's why I have a gallon jug of LIVESTOCK LAXATIVE in my cabinet but damned if I don't have a smooth, level block.

I keep meaning to do mineral oil/beeswax to really seal it but I haven't gotten around to it.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Aug 4, 2017

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I guess as long as we're sort of talking about the topic, I think maybe it might be time for a new cutting board. Suggestions? Wood ones look fancy but if I have to feed them a bunch of oil maybe it'd be easier just to get one of those plastic or foam ones that they sell at the restaurant supply store? Has anyone ever bought an Epicurean brand cutting board? Those look pretty cheap and small, which is nice. Some day I probably want to buy a bigass pretty board but right now I'm sharing a small apartment with a few other people so it would be nice to have a relatively small, hardy board I could leave sitting out without taking up too much space.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

nwiniwn posted:

Just had an interesting conversation with my fiance as I was making burgers on the grill tonight. It was pre-ground beef she bought at the store a few days ago, which I had frozen and just unthawed today, so I figured I should definitely cook them all the way through to at least 165. Ever since I've had an interest in cooking, I've read and heard that unless you grind the meat yourself or know it was ground that day, you cook the poo poo out of the meat.

She had another take. All her family has ever bought is ground beef or pre-made unfrozen patties, and they always just cooked them medium rare or medium, and figure that's the norm. This of course, didn't come up, until the burger were already at 155 and she was wondering why I was still cooking them.

So-has she just been lucky her whole life or am I wrong in what I've been taught?

Rare hamburger is amazing, just be choosy about where it comes from. Like...don't go to Walmart and get one of those tubes o'meat and then eat it rare and don't serve rare hamburger to little kids, people with weakened immune systems, or the elderly unless they're stubborn like my grandpa who liked his hamburger raw.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I'm sous viding chicken legs and want to finish them on the grill the next day to crisp the skin up a bit. Should I bring them to room temperature before grilling or put them on cold? Anything else to know?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I def felt like the clerk was looking at me funny when I bought a family size case of Kraft mac n cheese and a bottle of "laxative" mineral oil, but my board is looking amazing after just one coat.

Its usable on both sides, so I oiled both surfaces and the sides.

I've got it resting on top of another cutting board, to keep the oil off the counter as best I can. I figure I'll apply another coat tomorrow morning and it should be good to use?

I'd originally wanted Walnut, but:

A. Walnut is way more experience than Teak
b. The teak is sustainably farmed, which is nice
C. The main company making walnut boards from what I could see, John Woos??, has some bad reviews mentioning splitting, glue overflowing between pieces, and generally poor quality for the price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
That's real pretty