Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Obligatum VII posted:

Playing every job to max level or at least every role is a very enlightening experience. MNK teaches you to loathe most pubbie tanks with a burning passion.

Playing Monk has made me realize just how often I jiggle my positioning to get into the right spot when tanking. I knocked that habit off right the gently caress away and instead make one large move to reposition then sit still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It's a good idea for any player thinking of rolling up a tank to at least try out different roles so you know what they're looking for in a Good Tank(tm).

It's always disheartening to toss a Goad on a Warrior before a big pull only to see them stick to single-target aggro combos. And all the Diversions in the world can't stop you from threatening to rip aggro with your basic aoe spam.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So as WAR that just got to the 50's and can now do trials and stuff like that which involve another tank, what is the proper procedure for handling that kind of thing?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

In DF the tank with the most HP is usually the Main Tank as far as I can tell. Unless there's specific mechanics that require your attention (like, say, Garuda EX) the Off Tank is basically a dps with better queue times.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So as WAR that just got to the 50's and can now do trials and stuff like that which involve another tank, what is the proper procedure for handling that kind of thing?

The only real prep is maybe making a macro for Shirk that calls it out in chat so you can hit it to automatically say "I'm Shirking to <player>" for mechanics that need you to drop aggro.

Also remember to drop out of tank stance when you do it so the other tank has an easier time grabbing the enmity off you. Stop attacking altogether if that's what it takes.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

playing just enough other classes to get the title "seeker of blood" made me realize i only like tanking, warrior is the best class in the game, and i absolutely could not dislike pugilist any more if i tried holy gently caress i hate that class so much

SKULL.GIF posted:

Playing Monk has made me realize just how often I jiggle my positioning to get into the right spot when tanking. I knocked that habit off right the gently caress away and instead make one large move to reposition then sit still.

this is a good point though i will try to be more mindful about this, i sometimes jiggle around a lot when i get backed up against a wall

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Typically PLDs and DRKs will like to MT and WARs will like to OT, but if you've got two WARs, you significantly outgear the other tank, or the other tank just does not seem to want to MT, then you should expect to be doing some MTing yourself.

MT = main tank, the one doing the usual tanking role of having things hit them.
OT = off tank, a glorified melee DPS who sometimes has to do tank-related things.

Beyond that, it depends on the fight.

Sometimes fights involve tank swaps, where you trade off who's MTing and who's OTing. If you're the MT-soon-to-be-OT in a tank swap, then you lay off threat combos leading up to it, and ideally use shirk after the other tank provokes, then you drop your tank stance (and once you're high enough level to have it, put on your DPS stance) and get out of the way. If you're OT-soon-to-be-MT in a tank swap, then you slap on your tank stance, get in front (usually), then provoke immediately followed by a threat move (combo'd skull sunder/butcher's block, or overpower/tomahawk in a pinch). Sometimes there are mechanics where you don't want to be in front right away, e.g. you're swapping when the MT is eating a cleave and you don't want to also be eating that cleave.

Sometimes fights involve adds that the OT is responsible for picking up and tanking. Sometimes fights involve mechanics that are targeted at tanks in general or the OT specifically. Sometimes fights have two targets to tank, and one tank grabs each of them.

Sometimes none of the above is true and the fight could honestly work just fine with a single tank, in which case you just pretend you're a DPS for the whole fight instead of merely most of the fight.

It really all depends. The main things to know as a general rule are "don't be in your tank stance if you're not actively tanking something" and - when it's relevant to the fight - how to do a tank swap correctly (see above).

If you find yourself MTing instead of OTing for whatever reason, there are generally a few more fight-specific things to know, like positioning/movement and when to pop cooldowns, but generally nothing too terribly complicated. Personal opinion for me is that tank-specific fight mechanics tend to be easier than healer-specific or DPS-specific ones, though it does of course depend on the fight.

Vil fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Aug 3, 2017

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

My super casual "do whatever" static spent tonight getting a weekly O1S clear and then doing A4S unsynced for mounts so I was able to spend the manifestos on the super fancy katana.

Obligatory blindfolded, vaguely Nier-esque samurai glamour is go. For gear you get just for a one-time quest, the doman garlean armor is super dope looking.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

bewilderment posted:

The only real prep is maybe making a macro for Shirk that calls it out in chat so you can hit it to automatically say "I'm Shirking to <player>" for mechanics that need you to drop aggro.

...why on earth would you shirk before the other tank provokes? that's kneecapping their aggro, unless I'm misunderstanding something

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Velthice posted:

...why on earth would you shirk before the other tank provokes? that's kneecapping their aggro, unless I'm misunderstanding something

Like, set the macro to call it out so they know to provoke, and then you hit the actual Shirk button.

Also as a newbie sometimes other people are newbies too or aren't paying attention. "Provoke? I don't have that slotted, once I realised it's only +1enmity I just use Tomahawk/Shield to pull away from the dps!"

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Kaubocks posted:

playing just enough other classes to get the title "seeker of blood" made me realize i only like tanking, warrior is the best class in the game, and i absolutely could not dislike pugilist any more if i tried holy gently caress i hate that class so much

this is a good point though i will try to be more mindful about this, i sometimes jiggle around a lot when i get backed up against a wall

A lot of classes take a long time to come into their own, you shouldn't dismiss them too quickly just because the lower levels are bad.

Skanker
Mar 21, 2013

Xarbala posted:

In DF the tank with the most HP is usually the Main Tank as far as I can tell. Unless there's specific mechanics that require your attention (like, say, Garuda EX) the Off Tank is basically a dps with better queue times.

If the other tank is less geared than me I always sic them on as MT. They're not gonna die any my numbers are bigger.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Skanker posted:

If the other tank is less geared than me I always sic them on as MT. They're not gonna die any my numbers are bigger.

This is how it should be but you know, df

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Just know that you are a tank, and you need to take off your frilly WHM panties, put on your big tank pants, nut up and pull. I have very little tolerance for the "is it you? is it me? I don't know?" dance that some chickenshit tanks do.

If any combination of Protect, Adlo, Nocturnal Benefic, AST cards, and/or E4E are up, loving GO.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Xarbala posted:

This is bad tho because the tank with the most hp probably also has the best sub stats, so they should be dpsing more

Skanker posted:

This guy speaks truf

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

You should always MT because the other tank is always gonna spend the entire fight in tank stance no matter how little damage the boss deals.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

One time I had a Menagerie DF with an OT who stayed in tank stance the entire time because he 'didn't know who was MT', didn't stack for Akh Morn, didn't provoke when I ate poo poo and died because of aforementioned not stacking, and got killed by every single Tidal Wave.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

vOv posted:

One time I had a Menagerie DF with an OT who stayed in tank stance the entire time because he 'didn't know who was MT', didn't stack for Akh Morn, didn't provoke when I ate poo poo and died because of aforementioned not stacking, and got killed by every single Tidal Wave.

you promised me you wouldn't tell everyone!!

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*
I JUST started leveling a tanking class (DRK) after playing this game off and on for several years as solely a healer. I don't think I'll ever step into a trial with him though.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
thats what we all say we start. now i'm in a static as a tank

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yesterday my static finally cleared o2s, after a bunch of deaths (including me doing a heal lb3 to get 6 dead people up (i raised a tank first so he could provoke the boss while I waited for the last 30 seconds for the gauge to charge and not die)).

We're really good at this game :downs:

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Truga posted:

Yesterday my static finally cleared o2s, after a bunch of deaths (including me doing a heal lb3 to get 6 dead people up (i raised a tank first so he could provoke the boss while I waited for the last 30 seconds for the gauge to charge and not die)).

We're really good at this game :downs:

Is that cybergang? Because if so holy poo poo we tripped and fell face first into the finish line for that one. I'm half expecting us to do that for O3S as well.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Samael posted:

Is that cybergang? Because if so holy poo poo we tripped and fell face first into the finish line for that one. I'm half expecting us to do that for O3S as well.

Yeah, it owned.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Fledgling 50 DRK here: when do I not hit Dark Arts? Because to me it seems like I should be jamming that button all day. I remember vaguely from 3.0 when I got DRK to 50 for the job quests that mana management was a thing, but now it doesn't seem to be a problem anymore so I guess I can just let it rip 24/7?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Don't let your mana cap basically. Go nuts.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Minrad posted:

Don't let your mana cap basically. Go nuts.

Hell yes.

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008
Looking for at least 2 people for next season of pvp feast, we're looking to schedule 2 nights a week for an hour or 2. Would be starting time between 7-9 EST(would decide with all 4) and wouldn't be Tues or Friday.

PM me here or on Discord and make sure you actually play and enjoy pvp please. We have healer so looking for mdps and tank ideally but can work with rdps as well as I can switch.

Discord: https://discord.gg/XQv7kJQ pvp channel.

(Msg Draynar not Draynar|Work)

Draynar fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Aug 3, 2017

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
7-9 what time zone

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008
Eastern

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Draynar posted:

Looking for at least 2 people for next season of pvp feast, we're looking to schedule 2 nights a week for an hour or 2. Would be starting time between 7-9 EST(would decide with all 4) and wouldn't be Tues or Friday.

PM me here or on Discord and make sure you actually play and enjoy pvp please. We have healer so looking for mdps and tank ideally but can work with rdps as well as I can switch.

(Msg Draynar not Draynar|Work)

Hi I'm healing for this group but if someone is dead set on healing I don't mind doing a different job okay thanks bye

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008

hihifellow posted:

Hi I'm healing for this group but if someone is dead set on healing I don't mind doing a different job okay thanks bye

drop into: https://discord.gg/XQv7kJQ

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Sleng Teng posted:

Fledgling 50 DRK here: when do I not hit Dark Arts?

You might want to save 2400 MP for The Blackest Night if you're aware a tankbuster is on the way, but generally speaking your MP exists to be used on Dark Arts.

e: durrr, me not read numbers. Don't worry about it until 70, become the darkest artsguy.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Sleng Teng posted:

Fledgling 50 DRK here: when do I not hit Dark Arts? Because to me it seems like I should be jamming that button all day. I remember vaguely from 3.0 when I got DRK to 50 for the job quests that mana management was a thing, but now it doesn't seem to be a problem anymore so I guess I can just let it rip 24/7?

When you hit 60 and get Carve and Spit you want to make sure you have enough to Dark Arts it as soon as it comes off cooldown and if you are doing difficult content keeping enough to activate Grit (and later The Blackest Night) is a good idea. Until then, go completely wild.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
Wow, there really is a lot of post 2.0 ARR content. It's all pretty fun though. Except there's still a LOT of going back and forth between places to talk to people, which was annoying from the 2.0 MSQ line.

I'm more focused on unlocking stuff than running my roulettes. I'll have to do Wanderer's Palace and Ampador Keep at some point to unlock their hardmodes. I seen that some trials are unlocked by doing part of the A Relic Reborn questline, or are those trials not typically run, or are they part of the trial roulette at all? Also do I have to run things at least once before they can pop in the roulette, or can I just get stuff I've unlocked and haven't done?

RDM is a blast to play, but not getting Vercure until 54 seems a bit weird, and Drain doesn't seem all that effective.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Colgate posted:

RDM is a blast to play, but not getting Vercure until 54 seems a bit weird, and Drain doesn't seem all that effective.

It's because you're supposed to be killing things, not healing things.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

kojei posted:

It's because you're supposed to be killing things, not healing things.

Vercure is giving some people really bad ideas. I had a RDM in my roulette yesterday who'd entirely stop attacking and switch to healing the tank at 50% HP.

No buddy, I'm pretty sure I got a handle on our tank's health. Please finish the loving mobs instead, because my mana is not infinite.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mango Polo posted:

Vercure is giving some people really bad ideas. I had a RDM in my roulette yesterday who'd entirely stop attacking and switch to healing the tank at 50% HP.

No buddy, I'm pretty sure I got a handle on our tank's health. Please finish the loving mobs instead, because my mana is not infinite.

I did need to actually use Vercure to help the healer out once. During an EXDR, we had a tank who was just wearing a bunch of white leveling gear. The best part is that we had no first-timers in that dungeon, either, so he'd done it before, and just... never did his level 70 job quest. So he was super squishy and during the last boss fight I needed to Vercure him a couple of times because the healer just couldn't keep up.

Otherwise RDMs should probably never touch the Vercure button in a group setting.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

eh you can use Vercure near the end of downtime for a free Dualcast

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
When I'm RDMing with my FC's healer I just have her tell me when she's falling behind (very rarely). I never heal as RDM unless it's topping myself off or I'm asked to, and occasionally after a verraise.

There's also little reason to not be healing during transition phases where there's damage going out, but nothing to attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
I'm getting the last of my DoL jobs to 70 in the next hour or two if all goes well, and I'll have them reasonably well equipped soon after that. I've never actually done anything with them before other than hit cap for completion's sake, so uh, what's high end gathering even look like? Is there a decent guide out there to tell me what I should be doing?