Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

So I just got this on Steam, started off with a Demolisher. I'd like to pick up a gun at some point, and I like tanking. What's a good gun choice to complement hammer, and what should I be looking at for skills?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Just a head's up that Flappy's ultimate attack's been fixed and no one knows where they're supposed to stand when it hits.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

StashAugustine posted:

So I just got this on Steam, started off with a Demolisher. I'd like to pick up a gun at some point, and I like tanking. What's a good gun choice to complement hammer, and what should I be looking at for skills?

The tanking guide thread over on the SWL subreddit might be useful for what you should be aiming for in order to tank group content.

For solo content, I think you can just faceroll 5-point abilities as long as you keep upgrading your gear. However, I'm just now starting Savage Coast, so maybe that changes.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

M_Sinistrari posted:

Just a head's up that Flappy's ultimate attack's been fixed and no one knows where they're supposed to stand when it hits.
Flappy is kind of a crapshoot now, if you get a group with enough people who know to go kill the shade when Zuberi shouts, it's a piece of piss - if you don't, then you're going to die a lot. What's even better is, I had a group where only two of us were going up there and obviously we couldn't kill the shade in time, so when the rest of the group arrived, Zuberi gave my shield to one of them and I got killed for knowing the mechanics. :v:

Pilchenstein fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Aug 3, 2017

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

I thought the shade was just a death lockout mechanism

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
What's the shade? I just run around and shoot filth things like a useless idiot until it ends. :downs:

/googles it

I should really get better at paying attention to what's going on, instead of just trying to not die and occasionally shoot things.

prefect fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Aug 3, 2017

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Phrases I never used before Secret World: "I thought the Latin was spelled wrong on purpose as part of the puzzle, it took me three tries of the "right" answer before I tried the one they actually gave me."

prefect posted:

What's the shade? I just run around and shoot filth things like a useless idiot until it ends. :downs:

When the helper NPC yells "No!" or something like that a big shade appears on the second platform (reached by jumping off the first one) and needs to be killed. This is because it covers that platform with miasma, and when the NPC yells "we need to get to a new platform" flappy bird covers the main one in deathzone so everyone needs to go to the top, where they'll die if the shade is still up. Nevermind that the bottom platform is so big that by the time you jump off you're either dead, or the attack has ended as soon as you land on the top so youi can drop back down.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Bruceski posted:

Phrases I never used before Secret World: "I thought the Latin was spelled wrong on purpose as part of the puzzle, it took me three tries of the "right" answer before I tried the one they actually gave me."

When the helper NPC yells "No!" or something like that a big shade appears on the second platform (reached by jumping off the first one) and needs to be killed. This is because it covers that platform with miasma, and when the NPC yells "we need to get to a new platform" flappy bird covers the main one in deathzone so everyone needs to go to the top, where they'll die if the shade is still up. Nevermind that the bottom platform is so big that by the time you jump off you're either dead, or the attack has ended as soon as you land on the top so youi can drop back down.

Jumping off the bottom puts you on top? How the gently caress were you supposed to know that from the VO? I kept looking up expecting some magical rope to appear or something.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I think they increased the spawn rate of the spiders and Filth people. And/or made them tougher -- it was overwhelming today.

Also, I really really miss tab-targeting in giant mobs of good and bad people mixing around.

prefect fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Aug 3, 2017

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Pryce posted:

Jumping off the bottom puts you on top? How the gently caress were you supposed to know that from the VO? I kept looking up expecting some magical rope to appear or something.

I believe the official answer to this is "**** you."

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
They finally un-suspended my account. I had asked them to run logs on my character so it would be clear I was just playing the game normally and any exploit was accidental, but they couldn't confirm one way or the other so the terms for having the account restored was a character wipe to ensure I didn't keep any potential ill-gotten gains. I don't know if they are unable to run logs, or don't have time, but either way I'm back just in time for Flappy.

Edit: back in MAGA, thanks!

Ossipago fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Aug 4, 2017

Celebrity Ghost
Sep 26, 2007

M_Sinistrari posted:

I lucked out with picking up a set for something like 40k on the AH. I just use them for showing off since I don't know if it happens to just me or it's some coding thing but if I choose to use any sprint that's not a version of running, I have to hit the X toggle twice to actually get it to load. Plain sprint and anima dash work fine, it's just anything else has that hiccup.

I get this too with any 'vehicle' sprint, and the cause appears to be having your weapons unsheathed. I stick to plain old boring Sprint because it irritates me when combat makes it fail over and over.

Jandipoo
Mar 29, 2008

I am the great Cornholio!

M_Sinistrari posted:

I lucked out with picking up a set for something like 40k on the AH. I just use them for showing off since I don't know if it happens to just me or it's some coding thing but if I choose to use any sprint that's not a version of running, I have to hit the X toggle twice to actually get it to load. Plain sprint and anima dash work fine, it's just anything else has that hiccup.

Celebrity Ghost posted:

I get this too with any 'vehicle' sprint, and the cause appears to be having your weapons unsheathed. I stick to plain old boring Sprint because it irritates me when combat makes it fail over and over.

Press ~ before you press X.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I found a poster on the cargo hold of one of the Kingsmouth ships saying "Tonno Nyarlatho". Googling it just turned up a twitter post from 5 years ago repeating the phrase over and over, and a forum in french discussing it. Some old event?
http://imgur.com/u3SXarE

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Bruceski posted:

I found a poster on the cargo hold of one of the Kingsmouth ships saying "Tonno Nyarlatho". Googling it just turned up a twitter post from 5 years ago repeating the phrase over and over, and a forum in french discussing it. Some old event?

Most I could find was speculation about some Orochi connection through Sycoil with undersea drilling.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Bruceski posted:

It's a reference to the Eidolon of the Outer Dark raid, which used to require a portal to be created to access.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Hello Sailor posted:

It's a reference to the Eidolon of the Outer Dark raid, which used to require a portal to be created to access.

What's the connection between Eidolon and the poster?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Sekenr posted:

What's the connection between Eidolon and the poster?

The poster got added at the same time as Eidolon which was originally the end boss of lairs

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Bruceski posted:

I believe the official answer to this is "**** you."

Think with portals man.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Since the official forums no longer exist please enjoy this to laugh at instead:

https://www.reddit.com/r/SecretWorldLegends/comments/6rjntk/the_problem_with_flappy_bird_funcom_is/

Apparently the mindless pug friendly raid event is "too hard" and this particular winner is dying 15+ times every attempt.

I don't even know how that's possible unless you have zero self healing and stand in every AOE.

It's like players from Star Trek Online started playing Secret World or something.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

DancingShade posted:

Since the official forums no longer exist please enjoy this to laugh at instead:

https://www.reddit.com/r/SecretWorldLegends/comments/6rjntk/the_problem_with_flappy_bird_funcom_is/

Apparently the mindless pug friendly raid event is "too hard" and this particular winner is dying 15+ times every attempt.

I don't even know how that's possible unless you have zero self healing and stand in every AOE.

It's like players from Star Trek Online started playing Secret World or something.

How is it even possible to die 15+ times on that fight? I took my lower leveled alts in there for the lore/achieve/distillate bag and managed like 5 deaths total between them.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

M_Sinistrari posted:

How is it even possible to die 15+ times on that fight? I took my lower leveled alts in there for the lore/achieve/distillate bag and managed like 5 deaths total between them.

I must have died seven or eight times yesterday. :saddowns:

Hoping I'm better today.

Dammit, why can't I eat tacos in combat? :argh:

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can die constantly and still get the reward after the 15 minutes it takes a mob to kill Flappy. I certainly died quite a few times on my first go around, although that was mostly because I was looking for lore and trying to figure out where the drat platform was that I was supposed to jump to (nowhere apparently, just jump into nothing).

I can see somebody with poor computer skills dying a lot simply by standing in fire, but it's not like that's a barrier to entry.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

If there's one thing this game really thumps into the head, it's get out of the crap on the floor. Granted I do get a ton of lag during the Flappy fight, and I even get a few deaths on my lvl 50 during the fight no matter how mobile I am, but other than the anima cost for repair, there's nothing in the fight that's going to disqualify someone from getting the curio pop buff or the mission reward. I can see the dying a lot being annoying, but not something to rage over. But then, we're talking gamers and they can rage even on just a rumor going around.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Why are you even respawning before you're forced to? That's two minutes you don't have to worry about eating a repair cost or getting booted from the zone.

As long as Funcom doesn't listen to the pubs belief that the "top bottom x number of players shouldn't get loot" which they would gently caress up in the most glorious way

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
With the amount of people I see standing at the flappy entrance, I'd be okay with not giving people the buff if they don't contribute like 50% of the average damage or something. Whatever is appropriate for the scaling buff that will exclude people getting in a token hit.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Richard M Nixon posted:

With the amount of people I see standing at the flappy entrance, I'd be okay with not giving people the buff if they don't contribute like 50% of the average damage or something. Whatever is appropriate for the scaling buff that will exclude people getting in a token hit.

I believe there's some level of punishment for not doing anything.

But, like - why do you want to stand around longer, and also risk not even getting the rewards? Just fight, it's not that hard, and even if you die constantly, the shard cost is 2 quests from being back in your pocket.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Richard M Nixon posted:

This solution doesn't work for anyone who gets single frame fps like I used to on megabosses. This time around I'm getting playable levels of frames but there's still a lot of people who get 2. This solution tells them to gently caress off and not bother.

theflyingorc posted:

I believe there's some level of punishment for not doing anything.

But, like - why do you want to stand around longer, and also risk not even getting the rewards? Just fight, it's not that hard, and even if you die constantly, the shard cost is 2 quests from being back in your pocket.

Because megabosses aren't fun. Have never been fun. And will never be fun. It's just 40 people spamming whatever particle effects they can before they get killed by lag/poorly defined mechanics.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Give us 40-man The Unbound, Funcom

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Len posted:

Why are you even respawning before you're forced to? That's two minutes you don't have to worry about eating a repair cost or getting booted from the zone.

As long as Funcom doesn't listen to the pubs belief that the "top bottom x number of players shouldn't get loot" which they would gently caress up in the most glorious way

Because it's anathema to me to not automatically respawn and charge back into the fight swearing all the way.

I do have to admit compared to yesterday, today most of the Flappy mob I was in knew how to get off the platform for the fight. We might've even beat the 15 min average I've heard mentioned in downing him.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

M_Sinistrari posted:

Because it's anathema to me to not automatically respawn and charge back into the fight swearing all the way.

I do have to admit compared to yesterday, today most of the Flappy mob I was in knew how to get off the platform for the fight. We might've even beat the 15 min average I've heard mentioned in downing him.

They lowered his hp again this morning

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Len posted:

Because megabosses aren't fun. Have never been fun. And will never be fun. It's just 40 people spamming whatever particle effects they can before they get killed by lag/poorly defined mechanics.

Not in this game, no. Somehow Guild Wars 2 had some fun ones. Not sure how but I won't question it.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Len posted:

The media golem in Tokyo and the bling golem were kind of fun.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Does anybody know if the Whispering Tide event means Tokyo is coming up next? I have yet to do all the non-main-storyline quests in Carpathian Fangs -- am I going to need to grind on those all weekend?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I think it was stupid to introduce the Steam launch with a time limited endgame narrative event.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

prefect posted:

Does anybody know if the Whispering Tide event means Tokyo is coming up next? I have yet to do all the non-main-storyline quests in Carpathian Fangs -- am I going to need to grind on those all weekend?

Chat was speculating about that earlier today. It'll still take me a bit to get to Tokyo if it is, I kinda put Egypt on hiatus because I really wasn't feeling running around a computer desert when I'm in the Southwest during summer with kinda weak air conditioning.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

M_Sinistrari posted:

Chat was speculating about that earlier today. It'll still take me a bit to get to Tokyo if it is, I kinda put Egypt on hiatus because I really wasn't feeling running around a computer desert when I'm in the Southwest during summer with kinda weak air conditioning.

Immersion, man.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

prefect posted:

I think we're supposed to get the NY raid before Tokyo?

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Bruceski posted:

Immersion, man.

Tatooine in SWTOR and the places like the Badlands or the Blasted Lands in WoW all become no go zones they have to rub it in that I'm practically roasting my tetas off. Probably is a compliment to the graphics guys in doing so well that the zones make me feel more roasting to death than I am. But at least the temperature's dropping enough to make me consider finishing off Egypt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Obviously, the solution is to only do those zones while it's nighttime in the game.