Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My grandpa is huge into natural poo poo and has a ton of extremely painful health problems but he doesn't take anything for them other than naturopathic bullshit because "you start taking iboprophen for headaches and next you're addicted to morphine and your body is absolutely destroyed by pharmaceuticals which actually make you feel worse"

He'd probably be living a much less pain-filled life if he wasn't bombarded for the last 20 years with "BIG PHARMA!!! CHEMICALS!!" bullshit. Also all doctors work for big pharma so their advice on health can't be trusted, it's all just a trick to get you addicted to poison. Trust the natural healing experts listed in this months issue of EPOCH TIMES.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I imagine if people have difficulty getting to a doctor in a timely way that makes them more susceptible to friends who know someone or tried something that worked. Or a celebrity who looks like they know how to take care of themselves.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I suffer from migraines like once every two or three months but when I get it's bad. The last time I had one was a couple weeks ago and it was the worse I ever had in a long time probably the worst ever. I never felt so nauseous, the tiniest bit of light would send me over the edge and I couldn't move at all from a prone position.

I rubbed some garlic on my forehead, ate raw ginger, drank about 3 litres of green tea, sprinkled salt on my knees and put olive oil in my eyes. It cured me instantly.

Except none of that happened and what helped was the 12-hour Advil, the 2x Extra Strength Advils, the Extra Strength Tylenol and the shot of Pepto Bismol (all taken to instruction and within the recommended hourly intervals) to the point where I literally felt reborn after like a heroin addict finally getting over the hump of withdrawal.

Thank you, pharmaceutical companies, when you're not being grossly and hideously evil with your business practices. :)

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've been to some of them way long ago before I knew better and I can see why they are so popular. After long wait times at your doctor or the hospital only to feel like the doctor doesn't have a miracle cure for you or "he wasn't listening" this naturopath sat with me for 45 min and listened all about my life and really seemed interested in putting together a holistic picture of my health. These guys listen, they take the time, they treat you well and care. Of course they can do this because you're paying a huge fee out of pocket for their time rather than being doctors in an over-worked and under-funded health care system. And hey, after I went to that naturopath who spent 45 min talking to me and making me feel like my problems were actually being listened to, he gave me a tincture and I feel a bit better, my mood has improved, hmm this poo poo works!!

This is how people get converted.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Wirth1000 posted:

I suffer from migraines like once every two or three months but when I get it's bad. The last time I had one was a couple weeks ago and it was the worse I ever had in a long time probably the worst ever. I never felt so nauseous, the tiniest bit of light would send me over the edge and I couldn't move at all from a prone position.

I rubbed some garlic on my forehead, ate raw ginger, drank about 3 litres of green tea, sprinkled salt on my knees and put olive oil in my eyes. It cured me instantly.

Except none of that happened and what helped was the 12-hour Advil, the 2x Extra Strength Advils, the Extra Strength Tylenol and the shot of Pepto Bismol (all taken to instruction and within the recommended hourly intervals) to the point where I literally felt reborn after like a heroin addict finally getting over the hump of withdrawal.

Thank you, pharmaceutical companies, when you're not being grossly and hideously evil with your business practices. :)

Exactly.

People like ZShakespeare are partly responsible for individuals trying self-help cures when there are options that actually work. They tell others that they "only go so far" and that then leads to a cascading effect where you get dipshits who engage in treatments that are harmful to themselves and or those around them.

All the people who go and use St Johns Wort to treat their mental illness only started to do that because some people reported that it has some effect when in reality there hasn't been conclusive proof that it is or isn't a placebo. It's the same nonsense that got people to use marijuana oil to treat whatever bullshit disease because some ad on the Internet said that it cures cancer and whatever disease.

This same behaviour is replicated by idiots who feign celiac disease when in reality they're just unhealthy due to their loving dietary and exercise habits.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

Lain Iwakura posted:

No. Seriously. What is so bad about "chemicals" that you go for "natural products"? Are you afraid of taking something that actually works because you read Food Babe, Green Earth News, or some other pseudo-science blog and convinced yourself that Tylenol and all other OTC medications are bad for you? Do you avoid gluten too?

I literally never said any of those things except for well known, documented scientific, fact that long term use of acetaminophen and NSAIDs can be harmful, and opioids are addictive. If you want to dispute that then you are no better than the anti-science strawmen that you you are railing against. Obviously the person you have in your head is an idiot, but the person in your head isn't real perhaps except for a small handful of extreme examples.

If you are a person who suffers from chronic pain and all modern medicine will prescribe is the above because the root cause is not diagnosable or treatable AND you find that you can manage your pain without the use of those drugs, then what is the harm?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I forgot one more thing.

I took a really big poo poo in the middle of my head trying to cave in on itself and it was extremely relieving like literally euphoria throughout my body head to toe when those turds came out.

Just take a big poo poo for your headaches no need for snake oil.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Stickarts posted:

uh...

let's not get ahead of ourselves here

Lol

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Baronjutter posted:

I've been to some of them way long ago before I knew better and I can see why they are so popular. After long wait times at your doctor or the hospital only to feel like the doctor doesn't have a miracle cure for you or "he wasn't listening" this naturopath sat with me for 45 min and listened all about my life and really seemed interested in putting together a holistic picture of my health. These guys listen, they take the time, they treat you well and care. Of course they can do this because you're paying a huge fee out of pocket for their time rather than being doctors in an over-worked and under-funded health care system. And hey, after I went to that naturopath who spent 45 min talking to me and making me feel like my problems were actually being listened to, he gave me a tincture and I feel a bit better, my mood has improved, hmm this poo poo works!!

This is how people get converted.

Yep, if only there was a way to give the money that you were gonna give to the naturopaths to real doctors to sit and talk with you a little longer.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

*burst into room covered in soil and grass stains, twigs and leaves snagged in cowlicked hair, with pants falling down* have u guys tried weed

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

THC posted:

*burst into room covered in soil and grass stains, twigs and leaves snagged in cowlicked hair, with pants falling down* have u guys tried weed

i have not, tell me more

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

THC posted:

yes it fixed my sphincter

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Yep, if only there was a way to give the money that you were gonna give to the naturopaths to real doctors to sit and talk with you a little longer.

Yeah, increased taxation for more health care funding :)

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

ZShakespeare posted:

I literally never said any of those things except for well known, documented scientific, fact that long term use of acetaminophen and NSAIDs can be harmful, and opioids are addictive. If you want to dispute that then you are no better than the anti-science strawmen that you you are railing against. Obviously the person you have in your head is an idiot, but the person in your head isn't real perhaps except for a small handful of extreme examples.

If you are a person who suffers from chronic pain and all modern medicine will prescribe is the above because the root cause is not diagnosable or treatable AND you find that you can manage your pain without the use of those drugs, then what is the harm?

Long-term use of any medication that is processed by the liver is harmful. I am well aware of this for a number of reasons and as a result have had to curtail consumption of certain foods and alcohol in order to ensure that in a few years that I'll still be a functional human being. I also suffer from chronic pain as a result of separate injuries that resulted in a brief dependency on paracetamol which now has me very reluctant to touch any sort of medication.

But let's go back to what you said:

ZShakespeare posted:

It's because there's a small, but vocal minority of whack jobs who get lumped in with perfectly normal people who would rather try a non-pharmaceutical pain management solution than assault their livers with Tylenol and Ibuprophen or develop an opioid addiction.

So who did you consult before proceeding with this? If a doctor, what type?

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Wirth1000 posted:

I forgot one more thing.

I took a really big poo poo in the middle of my head trying to cave in on itself and it was extremely relieving like literally euphoria throughout my body head to toe when those turds came out.

"Taking a big poo poo in the middle of your head" sounds an awful lot like it is part of a naturopathic remedy. QED, nerd.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Oh also a fun part of the Canadian health system is a shocking number of GP's and nurses buy into this poo poo. I had to switch between 3 GP's because they kept telling me to try a bunch of natural crap proven to do nothing and would talk about how we have so much to learn from the east and their natural cures. Last time my grandpa was in the hospital after a heart attack all the loving nurses were "off the record" commending him for refusing all the drugs and only using "natural" stuff and telling him how toxic and bad all the drugs big pharma makes them give their patients are. For his dangerous blood pressure they were strongly pushing him to just load up on miso soup and oil of oregano and good for you saying no to all the evil big pharma blood pressure medicine. This is IN the hospital.

Not only do we need to crack down big time on the whole snake oil industry in Canada, but we need to root it out of the actual medical system.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

Lain Iwakura posted:

Long-term use of any medication that is processed by the liver is harmful. I am well aware of this for a number of reasons and as a result have had to curtail consumption of certain foods and alcohol in order to ensure that in a few years that I'll still be a functional human being. I also suffer from chronic pain as a result of separate injuries that resulted in a brief dependency on paracetamol which now has me very reluctant to touch any sort of medication.

But let's go back to what you said:

So who did you consult before proceeding with this? If a doctor, what type?

You seem to have trouble reading. First: it's not me. Second: the part about pain management and pharmaceuticals is implied. If you have trouble with abstract thought I apologize for not being more explicit and going into excruciating detail. However I will say that people such as yourself who treat science as religion so that you might be enlightened by your own intelligence, instead of the tool that it is, is part of the problem where normal people do get driven into the arms of snake oil salesmen. Not because they are repulsed because you are so much smarter than they are, but because you are an insufferable twat.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Of course, all it takes to shift doctor's interests from throughput to effectiveness is giving them more money!

why didn't i think of that?

Naturopaths and snake oil salesmen are a symptom of an ineffective medical system, not a cause. They are preying on people who have been failed or ignored by doctors and pharmaceutical companies, propped up by lunatic true believers. To lump both groups in together is blaming the victim.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

ZShakespeare posted:

You seem to have trouble reading. First: it's not me. Second: the part about pain management and pharmaceuticals is implied. If you have trouble with abstract thought I apologize for not being more explicit and going into excruciating detail. However I will say that people such as yourself who treat science as religion so that you might be enlightened by your own intelligence, instead of the tool that it is, is part of the problem where normal people do get driven into the arms of snake oil salesmen. Not because they are repulsed because you are so much smarter than they are, but because you are an insufferable twat.

You never implied it wasn't you so how am I supposed to read your backpedalling mind? Why are you so upset that I am calling you out on your terrible decision?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Wirth1000 posted:

I forgot one more thing.

Agreed about the pooping totally. I find deviating from your schedule causes issues, also having high fibre is great stuff, keeps it nice and together.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

That 15 bucks changing ZShakespeare's avatar could have bought you multiple bags of Thieve's Oil lozenges for the next time you have a sore throat.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Stickarts posted:

uh...

let's not get ahead of ourselves here

hey thanks for that advice doctor

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Risky Bisquick posted:

Agreed about the pooping totally. I find deviating from your schedule causes issues, also having high fibre is great stuff, keeps it nice and together.

Nothing is more satisfying than a massive dump.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I found a naturopathic cure to constipation and inducing The Big Shits.

Eat an entire Domino's pan pizza with Brooklyn pepperoni. Every. Single. Slice.

You will have the yugest, biggest clearout of your bowels the next morning. I don't really know what this would entail about your heart and, well, every thing else in your body given the immense amount of grease and fat you're intaking but I hear eating a bowl of Cheerios every morning puts a stop to all of that anyway.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
I just mix some stuff that resembles pencil shavings(psyllium husk) into my protein shakes and it keeps my insides flowing smoothly.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

The Wellness/Supplement/Naturopath industry is something that I wouldn't mind the government just absolutely crushing with overbearing regulation and oversight.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

CLAM DOWN posted:

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Wirth1000 posted:

I found a naturopathic cure to constipation and inducing The Big Shits.

Eat an entire Domino's pan pizza with Brooklyn pepperoni. Every. Single. Slice.

crush an 8 of TNT, your bowels will move, I assure you

possibly they will move away for good

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

CLAM DOWN posted:

I think we've finally found something the whole thread -- nay, all of humanity -- can agree on.

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

Up until you realize you can't flush it down and it starts backing up.

Canadian Politics.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

CanPol Megathread: a massive dump

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

coffee shits best shits

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Never take for granted the ability to just take a good clean poo poo. I have a little special footstool that makes things easier

All these posts will be lost
like turds down drains

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

lol you bought a squatty potty?

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Is... Is it worth getting?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Pro tip squatty potty spenders, open your legs and lean forward for FREE

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Does the Potty Squatty have a competing brand called the Stool Stool?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Unironically glad I bookmarked this thread again.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

What kind of poops does the Prime Minister have? A special report by Ezra Levant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Get it because his reporting is literal poo poo