Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Pook Good Mook posted:

This is loving legendary. Close the thread, we're done here.

We can't until we get the emails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Still the Greatest.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Throatwarbler posted:

I already got 2 dings from this round of interviews. I sent the partner a thank you letter and mentioned how sorry I was that I didn't get to talk to <person I emailed> a bit more. Her reply was non-commital, so I imagine the rejection letter is already on the way.

cool now post the emails you jagoff

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Throatwarbler posted:

I already got 2 dings from this round of interviews. I sent the partner a thank you letter and mentioned how sorry I was that I didn't get to talk to <person I emailed> a bit more. Her reply was non-commital, so I imagine the rejection letter is already on the way.

Wait. You said you wanted to talk more with the guy you originally emailed?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
I think it was a woman.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Creepy guy from Abu Dhabi: hey I wish I could have talked a little more with that hot jewish number

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Shame I couldn't talk with ____ more.. did she mention I asked her if she's Jewish? Do YOU know if she's Jewish?

Thanks, and best,
Throatwarbler

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:
Did the person who responded put (((throatwarbler))) as the subject line or salutation?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Throatwarbler posted:

Sounds like you now have very little to lose by posting the email.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Jesus Christ just post it so we can all move on.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I don't even care about the email anymore I just want everyone to shut the gently caress up about it.

i so desperately want to see the email

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

I'm so happy right now

I'd be happier if I had those emails

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

Just post, asking (((Toona))) the exact same question using the exact same words. We will understand that you're asking him, and only him. Who knows, you might end up study partners!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Warning if you do gently caress toona make sure you're on birth control.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Post the emails and then close this thread, we are done here. :five:

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Lawyer & Law School Megathread #13: Post the Vaguely Antisemitic Emails

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I care more about emails than fox news in november.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

:perfect:

You're good people, Toona.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
i've worked 60% more hours than the average examiner in my workgroup, and done 60% more work than the average examiner

we're also getting killed by loving 2nd non-finals thanks to recent 101 cases to make the 101

also post the emails

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I don't read emails so don't post them

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
Also, I have an interview with my office I've been at since 1L summer and haven't left, for a clerkship that would start after the bar exam and convert to a PD job upon passage. One of my interviewers is my boss who likes me, and thanks to PA law, I get veterans preference.

Go to law school. :unsmith:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

OK so I posted a thing in here for the UK people but having read through some more of this thread, well, you sure do lean into the "no, do not go to law school" thing.

So I'm going to post my situation for the rest of you and see if it makes it through the ringer.

I'm a quite senior website toucher, paid well via my single-person company. But my username is not a coincidence.

My reasons for taking the law school route are:
1. I dislike being ignorant about various aspects of the law and its process in general
2. I dislike seeing imposing organisations use people's ignorance of the law and its process (including mine, see #1) to intimidate
3. The brief forays I've had into dealing with legal situations (contract negotiations, corporate and personal tax law, mandatory licensing disputes) I've found fun and compelling because I'm a logic-and-rules oriented person. I enjoy looking at a set of rules and figuring out how to work them to my advantage.
4. Deep down I like having a wide range of qualifications and skills. This is a bad reason to do anything big but I can't deny it as a contributing factor.

I've signed on to the Open University's remote LLB, skipping the first year since I have a non-law BSc from my previous life. It's a common approach for "mature students" and is reasonably well respected in the UK but I've not heard from a law horse's mouth about whether that carries weight there.

I've paid for my first module, which represents the first of four years. Would be 2 years, but I'm doing it part time so I can keep working.

Since I'll be working throughout the cost is negligible. The time is significant but if I'm really not digging it I can drop out without any real pain. I'm only going to start the next stage if I'm still fully on board at each point, I've not laid my livelihood on this yet and the career will always be there for me to go back to.

I know legal pay in every country is massively variable, but I've bought most everything I've ever really wanted now and I'd be content with a living wage for a while.

Is an attitude of "I guess we'll see how it goes and pull the ripcord if it sucks" going to save me?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Jaded Burnout posted:

My reasons for taking the law school route are:
1. I dislike being ignorant about various aspects of the law and its process in general
2. I dislike seeing imposing organisations use people's ignorance of the law and its process (including mine, see #1) to intimidate
3. The brief forays I've had into dealing with legal situations (contract negotiations, corporate and personal tax law, mandatory licensing disputes) I've found fun and compelling because I'm a logic-and-rules oriented person. I enjoy looking at a set of rules and figuring out how to work them to my advantage.
4. Deep down I like having a wide range of qualifications and skills. This is a bad reason to do anything big but I can't deny it as a contributing factor.

"I'm mad at the system" is a loving terrible reason to go to law school. Its up there with "I like to argue!"

"I tripped on a rock! Goddamnit, now I'm going to go mortgage my future to become a Geologist; then I'll show those rocks who's boss!"

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

One of the fun negatives that people never really talk about is how much people hit you up for free advice. I was in my first year of law school and got a phone call from someone I hadn't spoken to in years. We had a very tumultuous parting which ended with her calling me every insult in the book. She wanted help with legal advice on how to sue her mother.

Yesterday I had a friend hit me up about a non-compete in an employment contract. Sure I could have drafted him up one that probably would hold up in court, but then I'd also risk criminal fines/penalties for practicing without a license. Yet people still hit me up constantly even though I explain this to them over and over.

I went from being the family IT guy to the family lawyer. Although instead of telling them to just google the problem now I just tell them to go hire a lawyer and spend a couple hundred bucks.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

blarzgh posted:

"I'm mad at the system" is a loving terrible reason to go to law school. Its up there with "I like to argue!"

"I tripped on a rock! Goddamnit, now I'm going to go mortgage my future to become a Geologist; then I'll show those rocks who's boss!"

Eh, it's more an attempt to remove my own ignorance and secondarily if I can wind up in a job or role where I can help other people with their ignorance (either by representing them or through some educational means) then that's cool too. I'm not out to bring down google or lock up cops.

Edit: I'd consider it comparable to someone with a long time curiosity about how computers work and disliking the fact that when they break they don't understand how to do anything about it deciding to do a degree in systems administration. Now if the law degree and/or what comes after won't actually achieve what I think it will, that's a different story.

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Aug 3, 2017

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jul 13, 2021

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

having a law degree offers a unique range of ways to suddenly find yourself criminally liable for expressing your opinions in an unguarded way.

'splain?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1dtnBUzewU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Discendo Vox posted:

a unique range of ways to suddenly find yourself criminally liable for expressing your opinions in an unguarded way

pardon?

there's ways to accidentally create an attorney-client relationship or to commit malpractice that way but criminal liability is a new one to me

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jul 13, 2021

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

The difference is that with a law degree the cost is much higher

It's about the same, either because UK or because of the university I'm going through. Roughly £5k/year for 2 years (stretched to £2.5k/yr over 4 because part time)

Discendo Vox posted:

the chance of meaningful employment is much lower

That's probably true but a) I'm not sure the situation around London is quite as bad as I've seen stated for the US in this thread (I could be wrong on this point) and b) the comparison is with someone not really intending to become a sysadmin if they're not into it.

Discendo Vox posted:

If you're mostly interested in learning more about legal systems and practices, there are likely other avenues we can recommend depending on your location.

That is my main goal, I'd not turn my nose up at those sorts of recommendations. Knowledge, understanding, and capability are the things I'm hoping to get.

As I say I'm financially (but not emotionally) committed to the first year now, so I've nothing to lose by doing that much except my time.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
here's 100 grand please give me knowledge i could look up on Wikipedia

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

here's 100 grand please give me knowledge i could look up on Wikipedia

10 grand, and can you really?

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006
You can ignore barrister/solicitor crap for at least two years since no one will let you do shadowing/work experience etc. until then and if you're remote your chances of being very active in debating/mooting are low. Sol route will be switching over in 2020 as well to something more like the American system so it'll probably be quicker.

Generally your choice is going to be very dependent on the kind of law you want to do, where you live and what your a-levels/degree grade is. Don't forget that you can do a quick(er) CiLex after the LLB too.

Don't listen to the Americans too much, from what I remember OU LLB is very different from the kind of teaching they get and you will want to keep your notes for practice.

Edit: Look forward to practicing fake laughing about snail jokes from classmates. Out of curiosity, if you have a Bsc why aren't you doing the GDL instead?

Rolled Cabbage fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Aug 3, 2017

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Rolled Cabbage posted:

Out of curiosity, if you have a Bsc why aren't you doing the GDL instead?

I didn't find out about the GDL until after, though now I look more closely I still have another week to cancel my LLB if I want to.

Do you think the GDL would be more effective than a graduate entry LLB? First year skipped.

I've not dug into it yet.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Law School in the U.S. actively makes you a more annoying and less happy person. Therefore I would not recommend it even to someone who had nothing to lose from going to law school.

It may be different in the U.K.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

evilweasel posted:

pardon?

there's ways to accidentally create an attorney-client relationship or to commit malpractice that way but criminal liability is a new one to me

It's can be a misdemeanor and can be a felony in Texas, but you gotta be charging people for
It, and doesn't apply if your a lawyer somewhere else just not in Texas

http://codes.findlaw.com/tx/penal-code/penal-sect-38-123.html

I don't know if that applies to what he said tho

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

Jaded Burnout posted:

I didn't find out about the GDL until after, though now I look more closely I still have another week to cancel my LLB if I want to.

Do you think the GDL would be more effective than a graduate entry LLB? First year skipped.

I've not dug into it yet.

If you want to do 'legal things' then the GDL would be more effective, it's essentially 'cram' for legal working and only practice focused. If you want to be an academic, the LLB is probably better because you will be able to focus on topics more in depth and academically. Some places let you convert your GDL to an LLB with further study, may be good if you want to do more academic stuff or need something that's not required for a qualifying degree.

Essentially, unless you go somewhere really theory heavy (oxbridge etc.) or weird (soas) the content will be very similar, since both are qualifying qualifications. People usually do GDLs rather than LLBs because they are shorter and want to qualify asap or its being paid for via training contracts etc.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Gotcha. In that case it feels like LLB is more appropriate since it's already a little crammy as a graduate entry but I'd like to spend a little more time on the learning aspect while feeling out whether I actually want to pursue it as a career (or even finish the degree) as I go. If I decide I don't actually want to be a Real Lawyer Boy at the end I'd likely lean towards research, representation, and education on computery topics like copyright, patents, encryption etc.

But this is all very up in the air at this point.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006
OU LLB teachers are cool and good (and not me, so don't worry).

Also don't forget about computer related crime, UK has an absolute dire need for people with computing and law knowledge due Brexit and our formally really dire and ancient legislation. As well as lawyers generally being really, really terrible at technology.

Check out the Citibank case if you're bored and need a laugh, shows the real contortions UK law has to do to 'understand' computers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Rolled Cabbage posted:

OU LLB teachers are cool and good (and not me, so don't worry).

Phew. Always a concern when you take a relatively uncommon approach

Rolled Cabbage posted:

Also don't forget about computer related crime, UK has an absolute dire need for people with computing and law knowledge due Brexit and our formally really dire and ancient legislation. As well as lawyers generally being really, really terrible at technology.

You find your own snitch, cop. Seriously though, really enjoying how we're going to be bound by GDPR and a bunch of other EU laws without the ability to influence them. If I hadn't got myself a backup EU citizenship I wouldn't be protected by them either.

Rolled Cabbage posted:

Check out the Citibank case if you're bored and need a laugh, shows the real contortions UK law has to do to 'understand' computers.

Is this going to be like watching The Office?