Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

evilweasel posted:

jesus maybe people should wait to wildly speculate for even a day until there's some basis for the speculation

Nah, they've definitely shrunk him down and put him inside of a computer to fight evil hackers, complete with lovely 90s CGI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The VA announced a new "Telehealth" program where any eligible veteran can schedule a video chat with a doctor.

This is actually pretty great. I know several veterans who forego regular access to their doctor because of the difficulty in actually getting to their visit.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Scaramucci/status/893160463709741056
https://twitter.com/ParkerMolloy/status/893165037195603968

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Greetings professor Falken

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

There Bias Two posted:

This is actually pretty great. I know several veterans who forego regular access to their doctor because of the difficulty in actually getting to their visit.

That is cool actually.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

empty whippet box posted:

This seems...weird.

not really: the demands that the HFC would demand for their votes are deal-breakers and can't command enough republicans to pass without democratic votes (and their demands are obviously deal-breakers for democrats)
that means you need a coalition of moderate/safe republicans, plus democrats, to pass it: but democrats are asking why the gently caress should they be the ones who have to take the hard vote without a sweetener, and are making suggestions that they will demand no deficit increasing tax cuts for the rich in return

(traditionally, the party that controls the white house had to be the adult party while the opposition would oppose the debt ceiling hike and talk about how the white house was spending us into debt)

so the only really viable option forward to raise the debt ceiling is to try to coalesce behind a "clean" bill and dare Democrats to oppose it after demanding clean bills under Obama, where everyone is aware that a failed vote will make the market collapse after the failure of TARP look like a fond dream

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

nerdz posted:

You're probably joking, but the standard tourist visa is already for business and tourism. They do ask you what are you going to do on the current trip, though.

I'm trying to pick out the stupidest possible thing this ends up being

My second guess right now is that he lost his wallet and smoke used it in a crime

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

evilweasel posted:

jesus maybe people should wait to wildly speculate for even a day until there's some basis for the speculation

For sure, but since no information is coming out yet, people are going nuts with speculation on cyber security twitter. Apparently white hats get jittery when the FBI detains a prominent member of the community.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
I was looking through the LVRJ to see if I could spot anything but am sidetracked by the Clown Motel

loving hell why would someone do this

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Edit: whoops

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Bob Corker (R-TN) might be in deep poo poo and not win his primary.

http://tennesseestar.com/2017/06/07/poll-senator-bob-corker-may-be-in-trouble-with-tennessee-republican-primary-voters/

quote:

A new poll released by The Tennessee Star conducted of 1,007 likely Republican primary voters in Tennessee by Triton Polling and Research shows that Sen. Bob Corker (R-TN) may have trouble winning the nomination of his own party in its August 2018 U.S. Senate primary.

First elected to the United States Senate in 2006, the former mayor of Chattanooga is up for re-election to a third term in 2018. He has not yet said that he will seek re-election, but many political observers would be surprised if he opted not to run again.

When asked “As of now, do you think Bob Corker deserves re-election or is it time to give someone else a chance? ” only 41.1 percent of likely Republican primary voters in Tennessee said he “deserves re-election.”

An equal number, 41.6 percent, said “give someone else a chance.”

There were not a great number who were undecided on this question–only 17.3 percent said “don’t know/not sure.”

“An incumbent who falls below a 50 percent re-elect number should be wary, particularly when they have seen so much anti-incumbent turmoil in the electorate in recent years,” media consultant and political strategist Steve Gill tells The Tennessee Star.

“But when that number slips to 41 percent, as we see with Senator Corker’s numbers, it should sound alarm bells,” Gill adds.

So that's now Flake, Corker and Heller who are in deep poo poo with their states.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

:vince:

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

:master:

Reik fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Aug 3, 2017

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

https://twitter.com/JohnJHarwood/status/893164608374145030

Yay?

Also

https://twitter.com/MabbsSec/status/893166585736724481

If he is being held at a field office, I have a feeling this was not an arrest, but a detention, where they are "talking" to him about something. Maybe forced recruitment?

Or they busted him for something else.

Freelance Security Researcher is a pretty vague term that often means grey hat hacker.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, this cyber thing is probably the simplest reason which is he was in on it. Closely followed by a gently caress up by the FBI and way way way back in the 'theoretically possible' range that he's been recruited to save the world.

axeil posted:

http://tennesseestar.com/2017/06/07/poll-senator-bob-corker-may-be-in-trouble-with-tennessee-republican-primary-voters/

So that's now Flake, Corker and Heller who are in deep poo poo with their states.

Well, isn't that a corker.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

oh poo poo

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Teleconference doctor's appointments are actually quite a sticky subject, much like videoconferencing with caregivers for the elderly. It feels very "fake" to a lot of people and unless you have a pre-established relationship with the patient it is hard to provide what someone contacting a doctor really needs, that is, someone you know caring for your plight and who can spot what might be wrong with you beyond what you are telling them. For mental issues especially this is doubly hard.

It isn't without merits if implemented correctly, but, uh, Trump.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Krispy Kareem posted:

Yeah, this cyber thing is probably the simplest reason which is he was in on it. Closely followed by a gently caress up by the FBI and way way way back in the 'theoretically possible' range that he's been recruited to save the world.

Well, isn't that a corker.

I'll have you know that a corker is a term from The Rape Cutlure and you should feel ashamed sir! :colbert:

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

:dunkedon:

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It'd be sweet if I could video call a doctor and get a script for adderall tho

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

axeil posted:

Corker faced very low risk of losing the general election but if he gets turfed out in a primary, all bets are off - and that opens a viable path to Democratic control. Not a likely one, but it's there.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

empty whippet box posted:

It'd be sweet if I could video call a doctor and get a script for adderall tho

:agreed:

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

HR McMaster sent a letter to Susan Rice saying she can keep her security clearance, which is a tacit admissions that she did nothing wrong w/r/t the "unmasking" bullshuit. Right wing twitter is upset to say the least.

https://twitter.com/charliespiering/status/893167772146032641
McMaster has been doing awesome recently, I'm waiting for what (if any) blowback is coming for all the staff shakeups he's been key to.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Xae posted:

They're paying 15/hr in the Minneapolis ex-burbs

http://www1.salary.com/AR/Warehouse-Worker-salary.html

Roughly $11~12/hr. I underestimated by about $2, but still, not $15/hr+.

https://www.glassdoor.com/Job/fort-smith-forklift-operator-jobs-SRCH_IL.0,10_IC1143091_KO11,28.htm

Even this lists salaries up to maybe $35k/yr, so around $16/hr. Most are lower.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Teleconference your doctor for routine questions about established conditions: good

Teleconference your doctor with something new, given how lovely we are at description and without a way for them to go "holy gently caress your blood pressure is measured in PSI": Bad

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

parker please, he had a family.

... sorry whats that? oh ok, carry on.

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3

Pollyanna posted:

Jesus christ what the gently caress. Russian operatives in the FBI maybe?

No dumbass.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Re: being a racist white college liberal.

I was raised in a really bigoted house, by college I had learned what I grew up with was wrong, but I really do think it took years for my gut reaction to match with what I knew in my brain. It takes time to undo things you were raised with and I think it's good and cool if young people know stuff that is right even if they have work to do to get to the place they fully internalize it.

I still struggle with that sometimes, specifically in the "oh god, a person in shabby clothes! He's going to mug me! Dont make eye contact!" way. Any tips on how to get over it?

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

AceOfFlames posted:

I still struggle with that sometimes, specifically in the "oh god, a person in shabby clothes! He's going to mug me! Dont make eye contact!" way. Any tips on how to get over it?
Mug them first.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

AceOfFlames posted:

Become a conservative and don't worry about it.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

evilweasel posted:

Corker faced very low risk of losing the general election but if he gets turfed out in a primary, all bets are off - and that opens a viable path to Democratic control. Not a likely one, but it's there.

Polling at only 41% among Republicans is definitely a 9 on the John McCain "Very Concerned" scale.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

evilmiera posted:

Teleconference doctor's appointments are actually quite a sticky subject, much like videoconferencing with caregivers for the elderly. It feels very "fake" to a lot of people and unless you have a pre-established relationship with the patient it is hard to provide what someone contacting a doctor really needs, that is, someone you know caring for your plight and who can spot what might be wrong with you beyond what you are telling them. For mental issues especially this is doubly hard.

It isn't without merits if implemented correctly, but, uh, Trump.

It's dumb as poo poo, the VA should just offer some kind of Cadillac Medicare coverage to all veterans and let them seek medical help at whatever caregiver is convenient to them. Assign some loving captain and SFC to a few major hospitals to act as VA liaison officers, so the vets have a POC for info/complaints relating to their VA medicare plans. Run the billing through some loving empty office at the Pentagon with a bunch of Mabels working the no doubt ANCIENT accounting software.

I don't know why this wasn't done years ago. Every Veteran I know loving hates the VA, it's poo poo.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Lawfare blog has gone if the deep end with like every single member thing desperately about how dangerous all these leaks are. gently caress that. World leaders should not have the expectation of secrecy when discussing policy matters. The Susan Rice thing is relevant and pertinent public information.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

The Glumslinger posted:

Nah, they've definitely shrunk him down and put him inside of a computer to fight evil hackers, complete with lovely 90s CGI

You saw that show, too, eh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N34MmqmxqD0

Tim Curry did a lot of weird poo poo.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Crows Turn Off posted:

Mug them first.

Ah yes, the capitalist answer.

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010

AceOfFlames posted:

Well are they in shabby clothes because they're homeless or because they just finished a 12 hour construction shift?

Regardless, empathy is the answer.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOAb4UXMVl0

lllllllol

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Aug 3, 2017

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

The Private Sector is a strip club in DC where he will be DJ'ing for the lunch crowd.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

B B posted:

Pretty much all of the Republicans I know, including my evangelical Christian family in central Virginia that has never voted for Democrats, disapprove of the plan because it would have made things worse. That's anecdotal, of course, but we've reached a point where a majority of Americans think it's the responsibility of government to provide health care:

There probably are a lot of Republicans who oppose it because it's not evil enough, yeah, but I think you're overestimating it a bit.

Thanks for clarifying!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

The VA has been working on teleconferencing for a while (I knew people trying to get it off the ground in my field while I worked there), but yeah there are a number of significant hurdles, both technical and otherwise, to overcome to make it really viable for widespread use. If everything does get solved to a reasonable extent, it would be a very useful tool to have available.

Sensible Thursday posted:

His blog was worth reading in the early 2008 primaries when Nate Silver hadn't made a name for himself yet and nobody else knew how to read polls. He's an Alinsky disciple whose love for the dramatic in politics has gradually grown to encompass his whole being.
Wow, I do not remember that name at all from following those primaries. In my defense, it's been almost a decade.

• Locked thread