Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

hayden. posted:

It seems like sliding around wouldn't do you any favors in terms of tire management. Maybe it's faster on a per corner basis but slower in a total race time basis.

Gary McCoy says hi.

gently caress I feel old posting that :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3MbBiGGI-k

:perfect:

The music makes it. Only time I'll be positive about disturbed.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

algebra testes posted:

Gary McCoy says hi.

And then Casey Stoner slides past with Nicky Hayden, on a pair of 990cc fire breathers...

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
What's the bets on places for the Deutschland GP? FP1 they are already going pretty fast and there is less than a second separating the top 16 riders. Though it's only FP1.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Skreemer posted:

What's the bets on places for the Deutschland GP? FP1 they are already going pretty fast and there is less than a second separating the top 16 riders. Though it's only FP1.

Marquez or a Ducati.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
It keeps raining/not raining, no one is having fun.

In Moto3 news Jorge Martin had a massive high side and broke a bone in his ankle. This time he won't be taking pole and converting it into anything but a race win.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Skreemer posted:

It keeps raining/not raining, no one is having fun.

Even if it was dry it would be chaos with all the tyre shenanigans this weekend

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
New surface, new tyres, and all that gets to be fun and games because it was pouring down during QP1 and it's a soaked track but not actively raining for QP2.

Marquez, Petrucci, Pedrosa, Crutchlow, Folger, Lorenzo, P. Espargaro, A. Espargaro, Rosse, Dovisioso, Vinales, Bautista

Skreemer fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jul 1, 2017

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Vinales is really turning into a little bitch since he got on a good bike. Seems like every weekend he has some kind of kerfuffle with someone and gets upset about it.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Slavvy posted:

Vinales is really turning into a little bitch since he got on a good bike. Seems like every weekend he has some kind of kerfuffle with someone and gets upset about it.

Doesn't seem out of character for the guy who tossed his toys out of the pram and had to be coaxed back...in Moto3, of all levels.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Either way both the factory Yamahas are going to be poo poo in the race unless it's completely dry and someone pulls a rabbit out of a hat.

If you have a motogp.com account you can watch Jorge Martin get flicked off his bike:

http://www.motogp.com/en/videos/2017/06/30/watch-jorge-martin-s-frightening-moto3-crash-in-fp2/233580

Skreemer fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jul 2, 2017

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Skreemer posted:

Either way both the factory Yamahas are going to be poo poo in the race unless it's completely dry and someone pulls a rabbit out of a hat.

If you have a motogp.com account you can watch Jorge Martin get flicked off his bike:

http://www.motogp.com/en/videos/2017/06/30/watch-jorge-martin-s-frightening-moto3-crash-in-fp2/233580

Also if it goes from wet to dry they'll have to change from "Good chassis" to "bad chassis" mid race. Oh and also, Maverick and Rossi disagree on what is the good and bad chassis because lol.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What I don't understand is if they have two rossi frames and two vinales frames why not give rossi the two he prefers and vice versa.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Also Petrucci re-signed with Pramac and again will have a current year bike.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Petrucci is ducati's crutchlow and it wouldn't surprise me if yamaha don't follow suit and give zarco a contemporary bike next season.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I love how everyone seems to always be having a good time at a MotoGP race.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Slavvy posted:

What I don't understand is if they have two rossi frames and two vinales frames why not give rossi the two he prefers and vice versa.

Because newer is better. The other guy does great on the new chassis, and he likes it a bunch, plus the math says it's a lot better, so you better use it until we switch you back because you complain too much and start fighting for the lower places.

BTW Go Tech3 Yamaha. 2 podium finishers for the year.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Never a dull moment this season, I tell ya. :) Minus those wings the Ducatis aren't pulling away on the straights like last year.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Skreemer posted:

Because newer is better. The other guy does great on the new chassis, and he likes it a bunch, plus the math says it's a lot better, so you better use it until we switch you back because you complain too much and start fighting for the lower places.

BTW Go Tech3 Yamaha. 2 podium finishers for the year.

I think it's pretty common for riders to be on different frames. A lot of the arguing that goes on is who is getting the development time/money. It's also common that the second rider is used as a very highly paid test rider. This was a big topic back in 2006 when Nicky was on some sort of a development/testing RC211V.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
WoldSBK at Leguna Seca this weekend. Freaking Chaz Davies is riding even after the crash and getting immediately run over by Rea. Chaz is setting decent times too.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Davies wins race 1 with Rea close behind. Davies set up a good pass on Sykes into the corkscrew and pushed him way out and both Davies and Rea took over at the front and Sykes couldn't keep up the pace,

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Rea, Sykes, then Davies in Race 2 At Laguna Seca today. Now both MotoGP and WorldSBK are in their summer break. No racing for a bit unless you get a chance to watch the Suzuka 8 hour race.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Skreemer posted:

Davies wins race 1 with Rea close behind. Davies set up a good pass on Sykes into the corkscrew and pushed him way out and both Davies and Rea took over at the front and Sykes couldn't keep up the pace,

That was a hell of a pass, worth watching the whole race just to see that.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chris Knight posted:

That was a hell of a pass, worth watching the whole race just to see that.

Came here to post about that pass. Was a tiny little nugget of absolute magic of the sort usually reserved for 46/93 races.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Rea made race 2 boring. During the interview after race one Rea stated he knew what the issue was and they were going to set up the bike for race two with a different weight distribution and that doing so would keep him out front and keep the tires under him a litter better. Lo, and behold, Perfect set up and no one could catch him.

I swear they created the inverted field for race 2 just so the Rea/Kawasaki combo wouldn't reign again this year. It hasn't seemed to stop him.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yup it turns out when you have a consistently massive race pace difference between manufacturers, shuffling the grid does sweet gently caress all. It was a band aid for a problem dorna have been too preoccupied/scared to start fixing because the manufacturers will whine and threaten to leave if any kind of parity inducing measure is introduced.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
I guess the other manufacturers and riders need to step up, or simply pray that Rea has a long series of really off days.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The other riders literally cannot do poo poo because they're on a second class bike compared to the Duc and Ninja as those brands are the only ones committing a true 'factory' level effort and pushing the state of the art forward, while everyone else is effectively on a privately run bike, some of which have varying degrees of factory backing.

There's also the fact that the bikes are mechanically handicapped in ways that make no sense in the name of cost reduction yet electronic aids are effectively open so the performance disparity remains huge at the same time that winning races is perceived as too expensive for most mfgs to bother trying to do as electronic aid development is the only way to make your bike faster. Kawasaki have no gp effort competing for money and Ducati have brand reasons for participation in a big way; everyone else just doesn't want to spend the money on a series hovering awkwardly between prototypes (gp) and true proddie racing (bsb, motoamerica, stock1k).

The whole setup is really broken and massively out of date both in relation to the product mfgs are selling and the state of racing as a whole. Since the rule change in 2015, intended to curb the 'unfair' advantage race-ready road bikes like the rsv4 had, the performance disparity between the green and red bikes and everyone else has grown massively, in part because the rule changes were arbitrary and senseless and handicapped some bikes more than others. It's all very similar to gp's 12 bike grid days.

Don't know what Davies' excuse is though.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Just ridiculous speeds. I don't know how they do it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjL977BRN-Y

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Maybe if they ran those things in a GP they'd have some luck against last year's Yamaha and last year's Ducati

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

builds character posted:

Just ridiculous speeds. I don't know how they do it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjL977BRN-Y

Is that those dudes' first run on a mower or something? A lot of their lines didn't really make sense to me and they made a few mistakes.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
lol

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
That must have been shot recently since Marquez stayed on til the end.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Angel Nieto has died.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Wirth1000 posted:

Angel Nieto has died.

:(

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006
I ebayed my EQ account and all I got was an SA account

Wirth1000 posted:

Angel Nieto has died.

RIP :(

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
MotoGP is back with the GP of the Czech Republic.

Qualifying just finished and it's Marquez, Rossi, and Pedrosa on the front row.
pre:
Pos. 	Num. 	Rider 	          Bike 	  Time 	   Gap 1st 	Prev.
1 	93 	Marc MARQUEZ 	  Honda   1'54.981 	  	 
2 	46 	Valentino ROSSI   Yamaha  1'55.073  0.092 	0.092
3 	26 	Dani PEDROSA 	  Honda   1'55.119  0.138 	0.046
4 	4 	Andrea DOVIZIOSO  Ducati  1'55.441  0.460 	0.322
5 	35 	Cal CRUTCHLOW 	  Honda   1'55.489  0.508 	0.048
6 	99 	Jorge LORENZO 	  Ducati  1'55.552  0.571 	0.063
7 	25 	Maverick VIŅALES  Yamaha  1'55.663  0.682 	0.111
8 	9 	Danilo PETRUCCI   Ducati  1'55.738  0.757 	0.075
9 	19 	Alvaro BAUTISTA   Ducati  1'56.027  1.046 	0.289
10 	5 	Johann ZARCO 	  Yamaha  1'56.075  1.094 	0.048
11 	41 	Aleix ESPARGARO   Aprilia 1'56.355  1.374 	0.280
12 	76 	Loris BAZ 	  Ducati  1'56.624  1.643 	0.269

Q1 Results: 	  	  	  	 
Q2 	9 	Danilo PETRUCCI Ducati 	1'56.220 	  	 
Q2 	19 	Alvaro BAUTISTA Ducati 	1'56.454 	0.234 	0.234
13 	42 	Alex RINS 	Suzuki 	1'56.460 	0.240 	0.006
14 	94 	Jonas FOLGER 	Yamaha 	1'56.540 	0.320 	0.080
15 	43 	Jack MILLER 	Honda 	1'56.543 	0.323 	0.003
16 	8 	Hector BARBERA 	Ducati 	1'56.685 	0.465 	0.142
17 	17 	Karel ABRAHAM 	Ducati 	1'56.786 	0.566 	0.101
18 	44 	Pol ESPARGARO 	KTM 	1'57.034 	0.814 	0.248
19 	38 	Bradley SMITH 	KTM 	1'57.042 	0.822 	0.008
20 	29 	Andrea IANNONE 	Suzuki 	1'57.245 	1.025 	0.203
21 	53 	Tito RABAT 	Honda 	1'57.288 	1.068 	0.043
22 	22 	Sam LOWES 	Aprilia 1'57.465 	1.245 	0.177
23 	45 	Scott REDDING 	Ducati 	1'57.517 	1.297 	0.052

Skreemer fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Aug 5, 2017

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Ducati fairings are whack. Ban 'em.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
Crutchlow :staredog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

He go to the docs yet or is he still running from them around the paddock and proclaiming his vertebrae is not broken.

• Locked thread