Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
Same. I do see the Zote fight is called "Dark Romance", so I think I nailed (heh) that prediction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

In regards to the dream Zote fights, I really appreciate how his intro gets more adjectives each 'round'. That's a good touch. It's great they added a boss with three separate fights/difficulties (or at least three - haven't beaten the third yet) when they could have easily gotten away with just doing one. Hopefully people think to reenter the dream and don't miss out. EDIT: THERE ARE AT LEAST FOUR. THE ZOTE TRAIN NEVER ENDS.

Zinkraptor fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Aug 3, 2017

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Zinkraptor posted:

In regards to the dream Zote fights, I really appreciate how his intro gets more adjectives each 'round'. That's a good touch. It's great they added a boss with three separate fights/difficulties (or at least three - haven't beaten the third yet) when they could have easily gotten away with just doing one. Hopefully people think to reenter the dream and don't miss out. EDIT: THERE ARE AT LEAST FOUR. THE ZOTE TRAIN NEVER ENDS.

Someone mentioned a candle lights every time you beat him

there are ten candles

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I got up to Zote v4 and ow he's doing double damage.

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!
So do you have to be on a new file to access this stuff because I loaded up my endgame one and zote is just kinda hanging out in dirtmouth.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

IBlameRoadSuess posted:

So do you have to be on a new file to access this stuff because I loaded up my endgame one and zote is just kinda hanging out in dirtmouth.

Try Bretta's house

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
The other one is the Dung Defender, if the silhouette wasn't obvious.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
how do you access the hidden dreams content?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I love this game.

Bretta's house and Dung Defender's hidden room

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
I love this game. If the dev's still around, I'd love to hear a bit about how they worked through preventing game-braking using the dream gate system. For everyone else, does anyone have a hint about where the new stag station is?

Brandon Proust
Jun 22, 2006

"Like many intellectuals, he was incapable of scoring a simple goal in a simple way"

Dog Kisser posted:

Someone mentioned a candle lights every time you beat him

there are ten candles

there should have been a fight for each of the precepts

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
Zote fight is in brettas (now existing) basement. Can be refought as he gets harder and suspiciously has 10 candles...

DD fight is in his sleeping hole.

Stag station is behind wall in white palace.

Dream gate is a make your own teleport, costs an essence. Seer gives it, if it already ascended then you should have it.

They also added extra attacks to nosk.

Did I miss anything?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
Costs an essence? Are they not finite?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Discendo Vox posted:

Costs an essence? Are they not finite?

Basic enemies can drop essence now.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
whaaaaa the possible sequence breaks are staggering

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Discendo Vox posted:

whaaaaa the possible sequence breaks are staggering

How can you use it to break sequence if you have to have been there to teleport back :psyduck:

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!

Dog Kisser posted:

How can you use it to break sequence if you have to have been there to teleport back :psyduck:

I think he's more talking about srquence breaking through essence farming.

Edit: gently caress Dream Zote.

IBlameRoadSuess fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Aug 3, 2017

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

It also feels like they made nail arts charge up faster.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Cnidaria posted:

It also feels like they made nail arts charge up faster.

that's good, because the charge time was always the big thing making me not care about them when i could just do a few normal swings instead. the risk/reward wasn't worth it for them

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!
Holy poo poo 3 damage a hit. gently caress you Dream Zote.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
<3 dream zote, he's everything I'd hoped for.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

So It Goes posted:

Zote fight is in brettas (now existing) basement. Can be refought as he gets harder and suspiciously has 10 candles...

DD fight is in his sleeping hole.

Stag station is behind wall in white palace.

Dream gate is a make your own teleport, costs an essence. Seer gives it, if it already ascended then you should have it.

They also added extra attacks to nosk.

Did I miss anything?

Also, the protector ghost in the Glade of Hope now attacks when you try to dream essence the ghosts...

n4
Jul 26, 2001

Poor Chu-Chu : (
Took me a bunch of tries to do triple damage Zote, but now I got quad damage Zote :(

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
Can you get essence by using the dream nail on enemies?

n4
Jul 26, 2001

Poor Chu-Chu : (
I got stuck on Mysterious Dream Zote. drat.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

I know I'm late to the party, but this game is way bigger than I was expecting it to be. This is, like, the third night in a row where I figured I'd just play a quick half hour or so to go check out one of the little crannies I'd passed by earlier/didn't have the ability I needed to reach and ended up falling into a giant pit or something and wandering through three new areas. Two hours later I have located a new station and returned to town with absolutely no progress made in the direction I thought I was going to be heading next.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Irony.or.Death posted:

I know I'm late to the party, but this game is way bigger than I was expecting it to be. This is, like, the third night in a row where I figured I'd just play a quick half hour or so to go check out one of the little crannies I'd passed by earlier/didn't have the ability I needed to reach and ended up falling into a giant pit or something and wandering through three new areas. Two hours later I have located a new station and returned to town with absolutely no progress made in the direction I thought I was going to be heading next.

Hollow Knight more than any other metroidvania has absolutely nailed the sense of getting lost in a vast and intriguing world. I felt like a kindred spirit.with Cornifer when I played.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
Doing another run from the beginning cos my save got wiped, and holy jesus who the gently caress pissed Nosk off :stare:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Irony.or.Death posted:

i did exactly that when i found Deepnest for the first time

benchless.. and alone...

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Irony.or.Death posted:

Yeah, i'm really loving this aspect of the game, and coupled with the gorgeous art and the mystery it's been so fun.

But i'm not that far in and I'm finding the wall-jumping, down-ward slashing spikes platforming and bosses like Soul Master aggressively unfun, should I just save myself the headache and stop now? Are they just difficulty spikes or is it only going to get worse from here on out?

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Multiple people have found that boss to be a particularly hard fight for when you meet him. And yes, there will be a few other difficulty spikes along the way. The good news is that you don't actually *need* to kill him to actually progress for a good long time, and some things you can get, particularly nail upgrades, tend to make boss fights a *lot* easier. (For reference: you start with 5 nail damage, and get +4 per upgrade. So the first upgrade, that you probably had, almost doubled your damage, and two upgrades from now it will be doubled again).

As to what else you can do right now: Farm up enough geo to buy the lumafly lantern from Sly if you don't have it yet, then head East from the Crossroads

Edit: Come to think of it, the area you will get to if you follow the instructions in my spoiler will also be a good indicator of if you can handle the platforming. If you get there and it feels too hard (which it might), then maybe yeah, stop while you're ahead. The game has lots of good things going for it, but they're pointless if you're too frustrated to be able to enjoy them.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Dancer posted:

As to what else you can do right now: Farm up enough geo to buy the lumafly lantern from Sly if you don't have it yet, then head East from the Crossroads

Edit: Come to think of it, the area you will get to if you follow the instructions in my spoiler will also be a good indicator of if you can handle the platforming. If you get there and it feels too hard (which it might), then maybe yeah, stop while you're ahead. The game has lots of good things going for it, but they're pointless if you're too frustrated to be able to enjoy them.

Thanks, this sounds like a good plan. Honestly I usually don't even bother with regular platformers because I know they're not my thing, but this (and Ori) looked so great I bought both and really want to give them a good shot.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
Just how many zote fights are there?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

lol you think they end

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
I will win her heart back whatever the cost

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I didn't even like Bretta all that much, but wtf is with her suddenly being in love with that tool Zote? Ugh.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Nevvy Z posted:

I didn't even like Bretta all that much, but wtf is with her suddenly being in love with that tool Zote? Ugh.

Zote talks a good game and Bretta's prone to hero worship.

It's honestly best for everyone. Zote loves attention and the Hollow Knight would never be able to acknowledge Bretta's affections anyway.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i never met bretta and i finished the game

Dancer
May 23, 2011

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

i never met bretta and i finished the game

You can't get 100% without her, alas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seeric
Aug 18, 2011

n4 posted:

I got stuck on Mysterious Dream Zote. drat.

I've been stuck on the one three beyond that for several hours at this point. He does so much damage that healing is almost entirely pointless so I've been trying to take advantage of his generally consistent damage by adjusting my total health with lifeblood gems to let Fury of the Fallen activate. I think the next Zote will actually end up being easier; I'll be able to take one less hit, but I'll be able to activate Fury of the Fallen without using up notches on lifeblood. I wish I wasn't so bad at using the Baldur Shell to guard since it seems like it could make this fight a lot easier.