Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

DICTATOR OF FUNK posted:

EDIT: I use PHP :q:

:barf: I'd rather be dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

Skandranon posted:

I almost accepted a full time WordPress developer position for a static website.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Love Stole the Day posted:

I want to hear more about this. How did you get your first job? Did you make a portfolio and apply to job advertisements online or in the phone book? Or did you know somebody who put in a good word for you and got you an interview?

Personal side projects can go a long way in the interview process. I showed my employer Awful Yearbook back in the day during my interview. Still working here 10 years later.

DICTATOR OF FUNK
Nov 6, 2007

aaaaaw yeeeeeah

Love Stole the Day posted:

I want to hear more about this. How did you get your first job? Did you make a portfolio and apply to job advertisements online or in the phone book? Or did you know somebody who put in a good word for you and got you an interview?
I was homeless with nothing but a laptop, a car, and free time, so being from Tacoma, WA I decided Seattle would probably be the best place I could go to change that.

My resume has only one thing of interest on it: I was hired as a student intern in my school district's technology department when I was 15. During my time there, I built them a work order and inventory system in Django that they still use to this day. I put my name in comments at the top of a template so I could prove it later. Ironically, that job is the reason I didn't graduate; they took me out of classes and put me in "TA periods" so I could work during school hours, and received no credits for it. Looking back, I was obviously being screwed, but explaining this to people has gotten me further than an actual diploma would have, at this point.

So, using wifi stolen from coffee shops, I put together a (long-gone) portfolio website using Django and Angular that demonstrated my knowledge of a full stack. I applied for hundreds of jobs over months and had a willingness to work for pennies compared to others -- during my interview at the job that I landed, I was told to go home and research what I thought would be a fair initial salary and let them know. I asked for 25K... they gave me 37K.

Once hired, I was immediately tasked with putting out fires for our most major clients. I threw myself at the job as hard as I could, voluntarily working 14+ hour days because I had literally nothing else to do until I could afford an apartment. Being the only developer in the shop that knew more than PHP and JS, I was tossed at high velocity in to a senior dev position. Once they discovered I was the only person besides the owner who knows AWS thoroughly, it was all downhill from there. I am now the company's lead developer.

I didn't know anyone in the industry at the time and all of my friends were burn-outs.

The murrican dream.

EDIT:

Skandranon posted:

Believe me, I'm doing the best I can to force other people to handle all the old PHP at this point while I do other projects in Python or whatever :v:

DICTATOR OF FUNK fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jul 28, 2017

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

DICTATOR OF FUNK posted:

The murrican dream.

That's really awesome. :respek:

While I can't speak to a lot of that, the idea of that you would do anything that was put in front of you, is a lot of what I did and how I got my foot in the door as well.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Thats rad has gently caress, dictator. Are you a human being? I cant believe a human being can produce good code (scalable, maintenable, easy to debug and easy to read) working more than 6 hours. Much less 14.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
drat that really is the american dream. Nice job!

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

DICTATOR OF FUNK posted:

Believe me, I'm doing the best I can to force other people to handle all the old PHP at this point while I do other projects in Python or whatever :v:

That's quite the tale, good job.
I still hate PHP

DICTATOR OF FUNK
Nov 6, 2007

aaaaaw yeeeeeah
Thanks, friends. It was hard work but drat it was worth it.

Tei posted:

Thats rad has gently caress, dictator. Are you a human being? I cant believe a human being can produce good code (scalable, maintenable, easy to debug and easy to read) working more than 6 hours. Much less 14.
I would usually try to balance a lot of my AWS work (which I did exclusively in the console when I started) with my code, so that I wasn't writing code for longer than 4 hours or so at a time without a break.

Plus, the office had free food, so I was able to nourish myself properly for the first time in years. That supercharged the poo poo out of me for a while.

I'm lazy and fat now so hopefully my complete lack of any certification or accreditation doesn't catch up with me if this job goes tits up, because I don't think I could do it again :v:

e:

Skandranon posted:

That's quite the tale, good job.
I still hate PHP

me too

DICTATOR OF FUNK fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jul 29, 2017

john donne
Apr 10, 2016

All suitors of all sorts themselves enthral;

So on his back lies this whale wantoning,

And in his gulf-like throat, sucks everything

That passeth near.
If I was to build a new webapp with fairly simple requirements, using entirely F/OS technologies, what stack should I use for maximum skinny jeans? Back in my day, we would've done something with Rails and Postgres, but I haven't done web dev in a few years now so I'm sure that I'm behind the times.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

john donne posted:

If I was to build a new webapp with fairly simple requirements, using entirely F/OS technologies, what stack should I use for maximum skinny jeans? Back in my day, we would've done something with Rails and Postgres, but I haven't done web dev in a few years now so I'm sure that I'm behind the times.

React-Redux and Node.js with MongoDB is the hotness of the day. Vue maybe instead of React? I'm not super hip on all the frontend stuff.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

TheCog posted:

React-Redux and Node.js with MongoDB is the hotness of the day. Vue maybe instead of React? I'm not super hip on all the frontend stuff.

Not mongo. Never mongo.

If you want front end only, React /Redux with Firebase.

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

New DLC for Aoe2 is out: Dynasties of India
Elixir (Phoenix framework) and a front end framework du jour (Vue, React with some state management like MobX or Redux), you'll even learn a thing or two about different programming paradigms and the skinny jeans factor is maxed out.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Elixir and Phoenix is surprisingly nice to work with too, at least compared to using node for anything more than trivial.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I keep meaning to try out Elixir/Phoenix on my next project (that I can select the backend on), but then the next project comes around and I just decide to stick with what I know so I can get poo poo done.

Here's me pre-commiting to not falling for that trap next time.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Stupid question: does implementing PWA stuff on generic websites provide meaningful value to the user?

Say I have a client with a medium-sized business that sells doodads and they want a website that informs whoever's interested about who they are, what they sell, and how to contact them. Would the service worker just cache the contents of the pages the user visits locally and allow for quicker access should the user return? Is it problematic to do that on a sprawling site? If they try to access an uncached page while offline, should they just be served placeholder content informing them they're offline?

I ask because most of what I see about progressive web apps focuses entirely on, well, traditional apps. Is there a good use case for the average website?

Newf
Feb 14, 2006
I appreciate hacky sack on a much deeper level than you.

john donne posted:

... using entirely F/OS technologies ...

Depending on your FOSS requirements, it may be worthwhile to mention that Apache Software Foundation recently banned the inclusion of any libraries with React's licensing structure - https://github.com/facebook/react/issues/10191. The short of it (as I understand it) being that using React in a project gives Facebook immunity with respect to your own patents / intellectual property in that project.

Newf fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jul 30, 2017

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Remember you can basically just swap out react for preact if the licensing is something you're concerned about.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

Cugel the Clever posted:

Stupid question: does implementing PWA stuff on generic websites provide meaningful value to the user?

Say I have a client with a medium-sized business that sells doodads and they want a website that informs whoever's interested about who they are, what they sell, and how to contact them. Would the service worker just cache the contents of the pages the user visits locally and allow for quicker access should the user return? Is it problematic to do that on a sprawling site? If they try to access an uncached page while offline, should they just be served placeholder content informing them they're offline?

I ask because most of what I see about progressive web apps focuses entirely on, well, traditional apps. Is there a good use case for the average website?

I made https://www.arena.net a PWA before I left, mostly for the practice. It made a mostly-static site load INSANELY fast on repeat visits!

Supervillin
Feb 6, 2005

Pillbug

Cugel the Clever posted:

ServiceWorker doesn't have to only cache the contents of the pages the user visits. It intercepts every request and lets you do mostly whatever you want with that before serving a response.

When they visit for the first time, you could cache the page they're on, the about/contact pages, and maybe an initial category page of doodads or fallback offline page. Then not only will those actual pages load instantly if they continue to browse, but they could come back (online or offline) and visit, say, the Contact page even if they never went there on a previous session.

Don't go too nuts, of course, as there's a limit to how much space you get to soak up. And always use analytics to determine if something like this is even worth doing - if their site currently gets 90% desktop traffic then slow/offline visits is not much of a use case. But if they're majority mobile, or visits from other countries, etc. then the effort spent could mean actual dollars for them.

Edit: Adding a ServiceWorker also opens up the ability for Chrome to prompt the user to "add to homescreen" - not sure what the frequency of visits or repeat purchases for the doodads are, but retention usually spikes if they add to homescreen.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
What's a good strategy for creating an API, served over HTTPS, that will support requests from sites served over either HTTP and HTTPS? Right now the only way I can really think of is to remove the HTTP-to-HTTPS redirect on my API server, but that doesn't seem ideal from a security standpoint. I just need requests to make it to the server, and response bodies don't necessarily have to return anything.

For some context, I'm creating an analytics library that will get deployed across websites, not all of them being served over HTTPS.

IAmKale fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Aug 1, 2017

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

IAmKale posted:

What's a good strategy for creating an API, served over HTTPS, that will support requests from sites served over either HTTP and HTTPS? Right now the only way I can really think of is to remove the HTTP-to-HTTPS redirect on my API server, but that doesn't seem ideal from a security standpoint. I just need requests to make it to the server, and response bodies don't necessarily have to return anything.

For some context, I'm creating an analytics library that will get deployed across websites, not all of them being served over HTTPS.

That's not something in your control, that's something the website consuming your API has to deal with. The only thing you can do is offer an http version as well as the https version.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
The end site being served insecurely should have no impact on what you serve up. The HTTPS/HTTP barrier only exists for insecure objects embedded in secured content. Just always and only serve over HTTPS and you're fine for both use cases, unless I'm misunderstanding the question.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

McGlockenshire posted:

The end site being served insecurely should have no impact on what you serve up. The HTTPS/HTTP barrier only exists for insecure objects embedded in secured content. Just always and only serve over HTTPS and you're fine for both use cases, unless I'm misunderstanding the question.
That's good to hear, it makes my life easier.

As it it is, it turns the issue I'd been mistaking for "HTTP sites can't make requests to HTTPS sites" is probably just due to operator error. I went to dig up a screenshot of the error I'd been receiving , but after quickly Googling the error message it seems it might be related to how I've got Django set up. Django added in a check that requires the HTTP_REFER header to be secure if the server is secure, but if I'm reading this SO properly I can set a value for the CORS library I'm using and that should fix the issue.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
I was loving around making something pretty while procrastinating and ended up doing this:

https://codepen.io/malehvor/pen/WOggRL

I was trying to practice my javascript since I kind of started recently and haven't been putting it to use. It was a lot simpler originally, but then I decided I wanted gradients instead of just flat colors changing, and turns out background linear gradients aren't animatable, so I had to add a couple of divs with the backgrounds and phase them in and out. Ended up using a bit of jQuery for no particular reason, but I think it looks decent enough.

All in all, it was pretty decent practice. I think I'll try to do more eventually.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I decided to dip my toes back into web design (my previous experience is "did some html in the 90s") to try and knock together a page for sharing skill loadouts for an MMO. I'm blundering my way around VS code using Emmet and Bootstrap (which is all a huge improvement over writing everything in notepad :v:) but I had a couple of questions before I get too far:
  1. Are there any good tools to prototype Bootstrap layouts or should I just be watching more videos on it until I get a better idea of what it can do?
  2. Since I'm going to have a bunch of very similar rows of buttons that change depending on user input, am I better off creating that part of the page on the fly each time or should I be hand-coding the layout and just changing individual elements?
  3. My instinct as a programmer is to break my html into smaller sections (like this example) so that my files are less unwieldy and I'm less likely to gently caress up bits that already work - is there any real harm in doing that for local testing and combining into a single html file if and when I actually put it on the web?
Any advice is greatly appreciated.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Pilchenstein posted:

I decided to dip my toes back into web design (my previous experience is "did some html in the 90s") to try and knock together a page for sharing skill loadouts for an MMO. I'm blundering my way around VS code using Emmet and Bootstrap (which is all a huge improvement over writing everything in notepad :v:) but I had a couple of questions before I get too far:
  1. Are there any good tools to prototype Bootstrap layouts or should I just be watching more videos on it until I get a better idea of what it can do?
  2. Since I'm going to have a bunch of very similar rows of buttons that change depending on user input, am I better off creating that part of the page on the fly each time or should I be hand-coding the layout and just changing individual elements?
  3. My instinct as a programmer is to break my html into smaller sections (like this example) so that my files are less unwieldy and I'm less likely to gently caress up bits that already work - is there any real harm in doing that for local testing and combining into a single html file if and when I actually put it on the web?

Phone posting so will lack a lot of details that I am sure others will post, but for what you're describing you should look at a javascript framework like react.

React will do all of the dynamic things you're looking to do as well as allow you to create components for individual elements.

It has a bit of a learning curve to it but in the end will allow you to do exactly what you're describing.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Theres a greater division now, I believe. where programmers program and designers design. And they share a world of templates, but they specialize in their part.

But I am wrong often, so maybe this time too.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

Pilchenstein posted:

If you're up for learning some more tooling, then, like ModeSix mentioned, React is a great option that's honestly rather straightforward to pickup. If you don't have NPM, it shouldn't take too long to get that up and running on your system, and from there, setting up create-react-app is very painless.

React has some nice libraries like react-bootstrap that make setting up bootstrap layouts incredibly efficient and simple, and will save you tons of time in prototyping layouts. If you don't use React, then I'm not sure what your other options are. I usually go to the examples/templates in the bootstrap docs and pull the code from there, then modify as needed. If you haven't checked that out, give that look. The docs are great.

Regarding lots of buttons, I'm not sure. What exactly is changing about them? Inner text? Event listeners? If you're gonna be doing a lot rendering/re-rendering, then it might be more performant to hand-code the layout, but I'm not sure. Personally would need a bit more details, but maybe someone more experienced here can answer.

As far as splitting up html into smaller sections, if you use React, you can do something very similar with components, which is really nice. I've personally never seen html partial loading using something like jQuery before. But, if it's just for your own purposes, I can't see any harm in doing that and then combining it all in the end, as long as you give all your classes distinct names.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Thanks all of you, I'll look into React and NPM.

The Dark Wind posted:

Regarding lots of buttons, I'm not sure. What exactly is changing about them? Inner text? Event listeners? If you're gonna be doing a lot rendering/re-rendering, then it might be more performant to hand-code the layout, but I'm not sure. Personally would need a bit more details, but maybe someone more experienced here can answer.
So, there'll be 8 rows with 4 or 5 buttons (an image with a text label above, basically) on each showing all the shotgun skills (for example) and then the user might click to view a different weapon and all those images and labels have to change to show whatever the new weapon's skills are.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Pilchenstein posted:

Thanks all of you, I'll look into React and NPM.

So, there'll be 8 rows with 4 or 5 buttons (an image with a text label above, basically) on each showing all the shotgun skills (for example) and then the user might click to view a different weapon and all those images and labels have to change to show whatever the new weapon's skills are.

Sound perfect for React. Make sure you start here: https://github.com/facebookincubator/create-react-app

Gets the whole shegbang up and running with no hassle.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Is there something similar to create-react-app for Vue?

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

HardDiskD posted:

Is there something similar to create-react-app for Vue?

https://github.com/vuejs/vue-cli with the webpack template

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
What's a good way to host a JavaScript library and incorporate it into multiple websites that allows for a clean filename but also picks up updated versions of the library? When I build the library I want to include a build hash in the filename for versioning, but that'd look ugly and make it impossible to easily update and deploy the code from our end without touching anyone else's <script> tags.

I'm worried that if I just did something typical like "http://goons.com/getout.js" I'll run into issues with caching that lead to customers running disparate versions of the library. What should I be googling for to continue my research into this? I feel like this'll employ Nginx in some way to take the "clean" filename and map it to a built version of the library but I'm not sure what that technique might be called.

IAmKale fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Aug 7, 2017

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

If you're already thinking about doing server configuration look into https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_ETag though hopefully your server already does that.

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

Hey, baby, wanna come up and see my etchings?
can you all recommend an e-commerce package to use with wordpress (or any other cPanel type addon content manager)
something simple to sell/update 10-20 products a year ; nothing that, say, an enterprise would need - ideally something I can setup to interface with a bank checking account simply that doesnt charge tons of fees - square or a square alternative?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Beat. posted:

can you all recommend an e-commerce package to use with wordpress (or any other cPanel type addon content manager)
something simple to sell/update 10-20 products a year ; nothing that, say, an enterprise would need - ideally something I can setup to interface with a bank checking account simply that doesnt charge tons of fees - square or a square alternative?

https://stripe.com/

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I
WooCommerce is a pretty great eCommerce plugin for WP, as far as WP plugins go.

awesomeolion
Nov 5, 2007

"Hi, I'm awesomeolion."

Looking for a recommendation for wiki hosting. Here's some info:
  • Needs to have API access / able to do stuff like import and export data or make mass edits
  • Doesn't have to be free but cheap is good
  • Not tied to some wiki hosting service that has ads or may disappear a year from now
  • Needs to support UTF8 (any language)
I have web hosting but the cost for upgrading my plan to support Wiki stuff would 2 or 3x my bill there which seems not great. Thanks!

awesomeolion fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Aug 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

IAmKale posted:

What's a good way to host a JavaScript library and incorporate it into multiple websites that allows for a clean filename but also picks up updated versions of the library? When I build the library I want to include a build hash in the filename for versioning, but that'd look ugly and make it impossible to easily update and deploy the code from our end without touching anyone else's <script> tags.

I'm worried that if I just did something typical like "http://goons.com/getout.js" I'll run into issues with caching that lead to customers running disparate versions of the library. What should I be googling for to continue my research into this? I feel like this'll employ Nginx in some way to take the "clean" filename and map it to a built version of the library but I'm not sure what that technique might be called.

Why not just host multiple files?
/getout-1.0.1.js
/getout-1.1.3.js
/getout-latest.js

Let your customers decide if they want the auto-updated latest file or wish to use a specific version.

If you are worried about caching, you can set your webserver to serve response headers that disable caching.