Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

hooman posted:

Oh my god, from the horses mouth...

you are worse than i am, said the trump to the trumbull

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Inescapable Duck posted:

It's a long stupid racist and classist story

Auspol August: It's a long stupid racist and classist story

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Trump: Do you know four years ago Malcom, I was with a man who does this for a living. He was telling me, before the migration, that if you were a Christian from Syria, you had no chance of coming to the United States. Zero. They were the ones being persecuted. When I say persecuted, I mean their heads were being chopped off. If you were a Muslim we have nothing against Muslims, but if you were a Muslim you were not persecuted – but if you were a Muslim from Syria that was the number one place to get into the United States from. That was the easiest thing. But if you were a Christian from Syria you have no chance of getting into the United States. I just thought it was an incredible statistic. 

Totally true – and you have seen the same thing. It is incredible.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I think I'm having an orgasm

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

Teddybear posted:

Can I just say that I love that they're called spills? I just imagine the Prime Minister walking into a room with a bunch of marbles and tripping and they spill everywhere, and if they don't get a majority back they get fired.

It's 2:15 am here and I haven't slept, I'm sorry.

I always thought of it as the party knifing their leader and spilling their blood on the party-room floor while they all lapped it up like the degenerate ghouls they are.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

BOATS!

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Futuresight posted:

I always thought of it as the party knifing their leader and spilling their blood on the party-room floor while they all lapped it up like the degenerate ghouls they are.

Comparing degenerate ghouls to our politicians I feel is very unfair on them.

I mean degenerate ghouls feast on the flesh of all people equally for example.

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY
So when's Tones gonna pop up and say he'd get along better with Trump and reference the transcripts.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

gently caress I wish tone was on that call.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Malcom [sic], why is this so important? I do not understand. This is going to kill me. I am the world’s greatest person that does not want to let people into the country. And now I am agreeing to take 2,000 people and I agree I can vet them, but that puts me in a bad position. It makes me look so bad and I have only been here a week.

TURNBULL

With great respect, that is not right – It is not 2,000.

TRUMP

Well, it is close. I have also heard like 5,000 as well.

TURNBULL

The given number in the agreement is 1,250 and it is entirely a matter of your vetting. I think that what you could say is that the Australian government is consistent with the principles set out in the Executive Order.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
TRUMP

Look, I do not know how you got them to sign a deal like this, but that is how they lost the election. They said I had no way to 270 and I got 306. That is why they lost the election, because of stupid deals like this. You have brokered many a stupid deal in business and I respect you, but I guarantee that you broke many a stupid deal. This is a stupid deal. This deal will make me look terrible.

TURNBULL

Mr. President, I think this will make you look like a man who stands by the commitments of the United States. It shows that you are a committed —

TRUMP

Okay, this shows me to be a dope. I am not like this but, if I have to do it, I will do it but I do not like this at all. I will be honest with you. Not even a little bit. I think it is ridiculous and Obama should have never signed it. The only reason I will take them is because I have to honor a deal signed by my predecessor and it was a rotten deal. I say that it was a stupid deal like all the other deals that this country signed. You have to see what I am doing. I am unlocking deals that were made by people, these people were incompetent. I am not going to say that it fits within the realm of my Executive Order. We are going to allow 2,000 prisoners to come into our country and it is within the realm of my Executive Order? If that is the case my Executive Order does not mean anything Malcom [sic]. I look like a dope. The only way that I can do this is to say that my predecessor made a deal and I have no option then to honor the deal. I hate having to do it, but I am still going to vet them very closely. Suppose I vet them closely and I do not take any?

TURNBULL

That is the point I have been trying to make.

TRUMP

How does that help you?

TURNBULL

Well, we assume that we will act in good faith.

TRUMP

Does anybody know who these people are? Who are they? Where do they come from? Are they going to become the Boston bomber in five years? Or two years? Who are these people?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
TRUMP

Okay, good. Can Australia give me a guarantee that if we have any problems – you know that is what they said about the Boston bombers. They said they were wonderful young men.

TURNBULL

They were Russians. They were not from any of these countries.

TRUMP

They were from wherever they were

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Turnbull: Let me explain. We know exactly who they are. They have been on Nauru or Manus for over three years and the only reason we cannot let them into Australia is because of our commitment to not allow people to come by boat. Otherwise we would have let them in. If they had arrived by airplane and with a tourist visa then they would be here.

It's the boats, your honour.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
That transcript is just the most amazing thing I've seen in a while

The Mexico one is pretty funny too
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2017/politics/australia-mexico-transcripts/?utm_term=.f3037d6d5a01

JailTrump
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Do things matter enough in Ausfailia for this to be a scandal?

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

JailTrump posted:

Do things matter enough in Ausfailia for this to be a scandal?

It's not going to affect Turnbull at all, he's about as popular as trump and nothing he said was materially different from what he would have said on the evening news

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
It will be more "God Trump is dim" and serve as a reminder that we may still get Potato Trump as PM shortly.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
We are in the deepest state of journalistic/political apathy that I think I've ever seen, and a veteran political journalist just quit for similar reasons. It'll get laughed at on a few panel current affairs shows, serious copy exploring the impacts and how we got here will be far and few between and disappear with the next news cycle.

Sad!

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

norp posted:

It's not going to affect Turnbull at all, he's about as popular as trump and nothing he said was materially different from what he would have said on the evening news

If the rumour of a spill is true, it will probably be Dutton PM next week. And if nothing else, we have the indictment of immigration policy from the horse's mouth.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Reminder that Dutton is less popular than Turnbull. Less.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

quote:

“This is going to kill me,” he said to Turnbull. “I am the world’s greatest person that does not want to let people into the country. And now I am agreeing to take 2,000 people.”

The Jan. 28 call with Turnbull became particularly acrimonious. “I have had it,” Trump erupted after the two argued about an agreement on refugees. “I have been making these calls all day, and this is the most unpleasant call all day.”

Before ending the call, Trump noted that at least one of his conversations that day had gone far more smoothly. “Putin was a pleasant call,” Trump said, referring to Russian President Vladi­mir Putin. “This is ridiculous.”

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Wait, that's not a funny script from The Mitchallf Program? It's real!?!.

Ye gods it is real.

No leader on the planet is going to want to talk to that buffoon again - leaks of this magnitude are incredible. The other heads of state can laugh at him but when their folly gets broadcast to the entire world they're going to in just as much trouble.

PM Dutton next Monday.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Aug 3, 2017

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Comstar posted:

PM Dutton next Monday.

Remember when the PM called someone a mad loving witch because he sent the text to the person it was about instead of the person it was meant for :allears:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
He described all the detainees on Nauru and Manus Island as safe and mostly "economic refugees" from Iran, Pakistan and Afghanistan.

"They have been under our supervision for over three years now and we know exactly everything about them," he assured the President. He added that if they had come by plane, they would have already been settled in Australia.

Mr Trump struggled to comprehend why Australia "discriminated" against people coming by boat and asked why the Australian government didn't just free the detainees if they were deemed safe.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
LNP: Worse than Trump.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

DancingShade posted:

LNP: Worse than Trump.

on asylum seekers

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Turnbull: In my experience, I'm worse than trump

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The release of that transcript is the first time I've felt genuinely depressed about the loss of John Clarke since he died :(

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Is it weird that Trump looks more agreeable in that transcript as he said he is absolutely baffled by our boat obsession and "if they pose no threat then why don't you just release them"?

Turnbull looks like a complete dunce

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
I wonder how The Australian will spin this.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

quote:

a third of households part-owned by Rupert Murdoch.

checks out

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

SadisTech posted:

checks out

I guess even The Australian doesn't lose enough to satisfy his negative gearing needs

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Anidav posted:

Is it weird that Trump looks more agreeable in that transcript as he said he is absolutely baffled by our boat obsession and "if they pose no threat then why don't you just release them"?

Trump looks dumb for having to put two and two together as to why you'd have anti refugee policy while governing a nation of white fuckheads.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Anidav posted:

donald trump, the stupidest president in history, managed to outmanoeuvre our ~agile~ prime minister to point out the inconsistencies inherent in our treatment of refugees. this is where we're at

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

imagine being intellectually outmanoeuvred by trump

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I don't think that's what happened. Trump had no idea why he was doing it or what stop the boats is. It's not a matter of someone being smarter than the other, it's Trump's capacity to comprehend his own politics catching up with years of evil LNP/ALP policy.

Trump then figured it out and went "browns, ok gotcha".

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

that makes it even worse from my perspective; out of sheer stupidity trump managed to point out the key contradiction of stop the boats (these people are safe enough to transfer to the USA/then why don't you let them out of your prison islands)

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Yeah but it's not like Turnbull doesn't understand why it's stupid. He explicitly stated we won't let in a Nobel winner because stop the boats. It's just make believe to deliver evil poo poo to Australians and MPs that clomor for it and he is across this.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Trump doesn't come off as smart, but he doesn't come off as any stupider than usual either. I mean he was able to see through the idiotic stop the boats rhetoric so he's brighter than a lot of the people who vote for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

So is Turnbull actually admitting that the refugees not a real threat or is he just saying anything because he's desperate to ship them off?

This is gold.

• Locked thread