Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez that goes through Estadio Azteca is the traditional venue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

iospace posted:

I'm not really certain of where else they'd race in Mexico (not really familiar with Mexican tracks), but I know Canada could either be at Mosport or Montreal, pending the rumored Calgary race falling through.

Champcar at one point had:

-Mexico City
-Funidora Park

-Circuit Gilles Villeneuve
-Toronto Exhibition Place
-Vancouver Concord Pacific Place

They also had Herdez Competition and Fernández Racing as teams, along with Team Player's Forsythe giving a seat to usually one english speaking Canadian (Greg Moore :smith:, Paul Tracy) and one french speaking Canadian (Jacques Villeneuve, Alex Tagliani, Patrick Carpenter).

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Monterrey baby

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Ugh.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

anyone want a gang tag?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

iospace posted:

anyone want a gang tag?

me.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

iospace posted:

anyone want a gang tag?

dibs!

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

iospace posted:

anyone want a gang tag?

yes please

tupacalypse
Jan 1, 2013

by Pragmatica

iospace posted:

anyone want a gang tag?

Yes please

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
I'm down with the ole d g

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

iospace posted:

anyone want a gang tag?

Yes please

[Edit] I love the F1 thread tags but this is an amazing idea.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

iospace posted:

anyone want a gang tag?

oh hell yeah

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

iospace posted:

anyone want a gang tag?

I almost never post in this thread, but I'd totally rep Dan Gurney in Cycle Asylum (RIP AAR Alligator never forget).

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yes, especially if I can get the black thumbs tag I lost when someone bought me the milk gimp while you're at it!

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

iospace posted:

anyone want a gang tag?

Hook me up brother! :getin:

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Trying to lead a middle-aged life. Well, it's either that or drop dead.

iospace posted:

anyone want a gang tag?

I would like to join this cult, please

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
heyo look at dat

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Excellent preservation of red text + signature combo. Now I can easily recognize that you are a regular poster in the IndyCar Series 2017: Now with 100% less sponsor blockers thread on SomethingAwful AND to never broach the subject of anti-viruses with you.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCUHvkIP8Ng

quote:

Following distance at Phoenix cut in half

Awwwwwww yessssss

(thanks DentistToyBox)

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Missing Donut posted:

I would like to join this cult, please

yes please

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

iospace posted:

Awwwwwww yessssss

I sincerely hope this will allow cars to get a run on each other, and not just conga-line closer.

Also, gently caress yeah gang tags.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

love this gang tag.

thanks iospace!

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Me as well, assuming we're allowed to double dip

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
we're really like those twins on GI Joe fighting against the tyranny of The Worst Thread

also can the misc. gang tag be the words "Homo for Homologation" with a Dauer 962 background?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

also can the misc. gang tag be the words "Homo for Homologation" with a Dauer 962 background?

Something like the IMSA logo burning and rising back up like the phoenix, b/c sportscar racing.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

harperdc posted:

Something like the IMSA logo burning and rising back up like the phoenix, b/c sportscar racing.

It should probably cycle through all the various sanctioning body logos after each self-immolation.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

iospace posted:

anyone want a gang tag?
If I can add it below the one I already have, sure!

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
awwww yeah we're in a gang

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
That surprisingly meshes rather well with the NASCAR Ponysig.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
Gangs are bad for society, you should all be rounded up and put in jail!

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/GallesKraco3/status/876316804985106432

I just wanted to post this in honor of the gang tag.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Aug 5, 2017

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
You're from Hartville?

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Trying to lead a middle-aged life. Well, it's either that or drop dead.

Thanks, iospace!

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The MP and RM podcast teased that Alonso running at Sonoma is looking like its gonna happen.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Cygni posted:

The MP and RM podcast teased that Alonso running at Sonoma is looking like its gonna happen.

Oh poo poo :getin:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Cygni posted:

This would mean he misses the Singapore GP, but as he's already missed Monaco for the 500, a precedent has been set.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The difference though is Monaco is poo poo while Singapore is good.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Yeah but McLaren is bad

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Can someone explain the new gangtag to me? I mean, I know who Dan Gurney is but otherwise idgi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Basticle posted:

Can someone explain the new gangtag to me? I mean, I know who Dan Gurney is but otherwise idgi

http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/history/f1/dan-gurney-president

http://allamericanracers.com/gurney-for-president/

quote:

When you arrive at the Goodwood Revival this week you maybe intrigued, depending on your age, by a banner on the footbridge that leads from the car parks to the circuit.

‘Dan Gurney for President’ it exclaims, stirring memories of a campaign that began in America and spread across the ocean to Europe in the 1960s. So great was Gurney’s popularity at the time that the Editor-in-Chief of Car and Driver magazine David E. Davis Jr launched a campaign to get Daniel Sexton Gurney elected to the White House.

In May 1964, soon after Gurney had qualified for the Indianapolis 500, Mr Davis exhorted his readers to keep Senators Goldwater, Rockefeller and Nixon out of the White House where President Lyndon Johnson had reached the end of his term. David described the candidates as an assortment of “poltroons, charlatans, earnest amateurs and fuzzy idealists.” Strong stuff.

“Who could possibly be better suited to champion our cause than Daniel Sexton Gurney?” he wrote, “ he goes like the wind, he can drive anything better than most anybody. He has the enduring love of 300,000 fans at Indianapolis. His name inspires countless stock car partisans in the Southeast. He is the patron Saint of American sports car racing. European GP aficionados speak his name in the most reverent tones imaginable. He has become a legend in his own time.”

This is only very slightly exaggerated. Gurney was in his second season with the Brabham Grand Prix team in Europe, coming sixth in the World Championship. In 1966 he formed his own F1 team, All American Racers, and went to score a famous victory in his Eagle-Weslake at Spa in 1967.

As far as most Americans were concerned, he was he was an Indy racer, a true American hero with film star looks and much charismatic appeal as he was a quiet man, less extrovert than many American drivers. David E. Davis was moved to describe him as being “handsome enough to be a film star and as brave as Dick Tracy”. Great stuff, and the readers loved it, buying bumper stickers and badges in support of the campaign.

After qualifying at Indy in ’64 none other than Jim Clark wore a Gurney badge and gave his support to the ‘Gurney for President’ campaign. “If he gets elected, he won’t have time to come to Europe and run against me,” quipped Clark. High praise indeed from one of the very greatest racing drivers of all time.

You too can wear a red, white and blue Gurney badge at the Goodwood Revival. The badges, and the stickers, cost £1 each with all proceeds going to The Fly Navy Heritage Trust, the official charity of the 2012 Revival.

Have fun, wear your badge, and don’t miss seeing the man himself. One of the highlights of this year’s event will be a tribute to Dan Gurney and his achievements as a driver and engineer. On the grid will be 24 of the cars that he raced including the Eagle, a Shelby Cobra and and of course a Ford GT40. Should be a great weekend. See you there.

• Locked thread