Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

AradoBalanga posted:

So, Hisame's an interesting case in that his Endearing Character TraitTM for the English localization is an insane love of pickles. Why, you ask? Because Hisame is built around a joke that works in Japanese but has practically no Western equivalent, so the joke flies over everyone's heads. See, his character blurb lists Hisame as "The youngest old man", and that's what the joke revolves around. Hisame's original character gimmick is that he loves fermented foods, and the joke is that this affinity is usually found among older people in Japan (read: closer to Gunter's age than Hisame's age). But since Western cultures don't have anything like this, Hisame's localized love of pickles came off to people as the localization staff doing dumb weird things rather than what the problem really is: the original script body checking the localization staff into a corner with no easy way out. It's not helped any further by Hisame becoming very passionate about the subject in his support with Corrine, to the point he comes off as disturbingly obsessed with his favorite foods.

Of course, even with that, it doesn't save Hisame from being so painfully bland everywhere else. I make it no mistake that out of the kids, Hisame's the one I've skipped over the most just because I really do not find him interesting. And of course, because his father is equally bland and thus not worth it in the long run.

Should've made his thing hard candies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

RareAcumen posted:

Should've made his thing hard candies.

He could have just sounded old fashioned and crotchety in general. It's not really that difficult a thing to write in dialogue.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Is it me or does the Selena -> Caeldori thing seem super incestuous somehow?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Is it me or does the Selena -> Caeldori thing seem super incestuous somehow?

It wouldn't be Severa if we didn't find some way to include mommy-issues even when she's as far away from her mother as is possible. Now we need Caeldori to have a daughter named Resvea to complete the circle.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
So if this is Cordelia, then the question is: which character is she so obsessed with that even her own children know about it, yet she has no supports with?

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Cythereal posted:

So if this is Cordelia, then the question is: which character is she so obsessed with that even her own children know about it, yet she has no supports with?

Morch

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009
So I spent the past two weeks binging on this thread and I'm finally caught up. I came in knowing the story was gonna be bad, so I was just here to witness the slow-mo train crash, and BOY did this thread deliver way beyond my wildest expectations. I literally laughed out loud at the Izana death scene.

Sure, the whole marriage/children system doesn't make any story sense if you put half a second of thought into it, but I, for one, enjoyed witnessing the rampage of the bloodthirsty adorable murderchildren. I think it says something for the writing when I found the kids more likable than the majority of the parent generation. I absolutely would not mind at all if we benched all the parents in favor of a kid-only Revelations playthrough.

Re: Zombie Takumi -- way to take the wind out of the sails for the entire buildup to the Garon climax. I also agree that the story would've been stronger if he hadn't been possessed/zombified. I get that IntSys wanted to protect the precious feelings of those who liked Takumi's character, but I think they could've make him a MORE sympathetic and tragic (and more likable) character without all the possession nonsense. They could've written him as a dude who placed his entire heart in his country/family (beneath that ~cold exterior~ of his that people seem to adore), who has lost everything and is sad and broken and is now lashing at you in desperation or something. Basically, a guilty emotional moment to show that your decisions have consequences despite your best intentions -- the Conquest counterpart to the Elise/Xander scene, if you will.

But that's probably asking too much of their writing staff.

As for the Kaze death in Birthright, I actually wonder if it worked the other way around in earlier versions of the game (i.e., he dies if you do have A support with him). IIRC his A support is where he pledges his loyalty and becomes your retainer. It actually makes more storyline sense where he pledges to put his own life before yours, and then when that chasm thing happens, he fulfills his duty. From a gameplay perspective, though, that's pretty awful, as it's essentially punishing players for investing in support levels -- something you'd otherwise want to encourage players to do. But instead of doing the easier and more sensible thing of just removing the scene completely, they still somehow forced it in and made everything for the worse.

facepalmolive fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Aug 3, 2017

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

facepalmolive posted:

Re: Zombie Takumi -- way to take the wind out of the sails for the entire buildup to the Garon climax. I also agree that the story would've been stronger if he hadn't been possessed/zombified. I get that IntSys wanted to protect the precious feelings of those who liked Takumi's character, but I think they could've make him a MORE sympathetic and tragic (and more likable) character without all the possession nonsense. They could've written him as a dude who placed his entire heart in his country/family (beneath that ~cold exterior~ of his that people seem to adore), who has lost everything and is sad and broken and is now lashing at you in desperation or something. Basically, a guilty emotional moment to show that your decisions have consequences despite your best intentions -- the Conquest counterpart to the Elise/Xander scene, if you will.

I don't think it was a decision made to not insult people who liked his character or anything. I still think it's just a lazy attempt to generate interest in looking at the other games for some actual answers. And with how that fight played out it'd be an annoying rear end-pull for his normal bow to just pull out huge attacks like that that you'll never be allowed to use.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
If I remember right, Hisame was orignally written to be a first generation character and as Hinata's twin or something. They moved him to become Hinata's kid after deciding there were too many samurais in the first generation.

I mean they could have just turned him into an Apothecary though, that'd have worked and him messing with potions would have fit in nicely with the whole pickle thing.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

facepalmolive posted:

So I spent the past two weeks binging on this thread and I'm finally caught up. I came in knowing the story was gonna be bad, so I was just here to witness the slow-mo train crash, and BOY did this thread deliver way beyond my wildest expectations. I literally laughed out loud at the Izana death scene.

Sure, the whole marriage/children system doesn't make any story sense if you put half a second of thought into it, but I, for one, enjoyed witnessing the rampage of the bloodthirsty adorable murderchildren. I think it says something for the writing when I found the kids more likable than the majority of the parent generation. I absolutely would not mind at all if we benched all the parents in favor of a kid-only Revelations playthrough.

As for the Kaze death in Birthright, I actually wonder if it worked the other way around in earlier versions of the game (i.e., he dies if you do have A support with him). IIRC his A support is where he pledges his loyalty and becomes your retainer. It actually makes more storyline sense where he pledges to put his own life before yours, and then when that chasm thing happens, he fulfills his duty. From a gameplay perspective, though, that's pretty awful, as it's essentially punishing players for investing in support levels -- something you'd otherwise want to encourage players to do. But instead of doing the easier and more sensible thing of just removing the scene completely, they still somehow forced it in and made everything for the worse.

I think that the possessed Takumi thing could work if it had been written as him willingly selling himself to Anankos for the power to avenge his land from his traitorous sibling. He had genuine reasons to hate Corrin (as do we all) and a greater evil capitalized on his resentment to twist his love for his people into a tool. Corrin being forced to take responsibility for their idiocy rather than just whine and give hollow gestures would be a nice side effect.

Of course this wouldn't come close to salvaging the plot of Conquest and leaves the whole "Buy Revelations" cliffhanger, but it'd be something.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

You're going to see Hana for a while, because half the party is overleveled and I'm still not done with Hoshidan kids.

The odds seem...against us.

*A unit flies next to Subaki*

Caeldori, you shouldn't be here!
I'm sorry. I don't mean to disobey you. But I had to jump at the opportunity!
Daughter...
I want to help! I really, really do! I'm tired of sitting home alone and waiting to be of some use. I'll never be as prefect as you are, Father. But I'd like to start trying to be!

Well, at least she's been...productive?

I won't disappoint you.
Caeldori, of course you won't. You seem like quite a wonder already!
All right. Stay and fight alongside me. Don't get overconfident though. This is your first battle, after all!
Yes, of course. I'll do my best, Father!

PSkill: Prodigy-At the start of the battle, if the enemy’s Strength or Magic (whichever is highest) is higher than Caeldori’s corresponding stat, damage +4

So Caeldori has low strength, but her PSkill raises it up pretty high in a lot of situations. In most cases, she will get the bonus against mages and enemies that don't trigger the PSkill aren't a threat to her.

The true "gimmick" of this map is that every single enemy save for one has a sword or is a mage. And Caeldori has high resistance while equipped with a Swordcatcher. It's basically designed for her to get a lot of EXP easily.

Caeldori's strength growth is kinda bad, but infinitely worse as a Kinshi Knight. Plus, I already have like three dedicated archers.

I would really like to say anything interesting about the mission, but it's just basic bait and feed to the lower levels. There's no reinforcements at all, it's basically just FEED Caeldori: the map.

Level up update

Setsuna

6-STR/SPD/LCK/DEF/RES
7-STR

Shiro

5-HP/STR/SKL/SPD/LCK

Caeldori

3-STR/SKL/SPD/DEF/RES
4-HP/SPD/DEF/RES

Hayato

6-HP/STR/MAG/SPD/LCK/DEF

Beruka

4-HP/LCk/DEF
5-HP/STR/SKL/SPD

(16 speed)

Corrine

9-HP/STR/MAG/SKL/SPD/DEF

Hisame

3-STR/LCK/DEF
4-HP/SKl/SPD

Niles

5-MAG/SPD/LCK/DEF/RES

If nothing else, this is proving that Beruka is taking how far horrific speed can take you. It's not like she's super strong either, she just flies and now has Rally Defense.

It was your very first battle!
Thanks! But you must have seen that I'm still falling short of your standard. Perfect as you are, that is.
Oh, what's this? You've torn your clothing, Father! I guess even paragons like you can have a bad day. I'll patch those right up. I'm sure I have a sewing needle among my other things.
How...prepared of you.
Yes. I try.

After visiting each and every one, I know that they're all going to be just fine. That us, if we can get them somewhere better for their recuperation. To that end, I've mobilized some of our troops to carry them out of here. I tried to think of what you'd do, basically. Did I catch everything?
Yep, more or less.
Well, I also sent a scout ahead to make sure the way is safe. It is. And, I'm sure I wasn't as thorough as you, Father, but I also...
(...Also?!)

For a reminder, Subaki's thing is that he's actually not perfect and is a super hard worker to keep up the image. Caeldori is the polar opposite, in being actually perfect and talented.

Hey, Father! Hello?
(Hmm. At this rate, Caeldori will soon be more perfect than I am!)
Father? Sorry if I'm boring you...
Huh? No, of course not dear.
I must train harder. I know, I know... Someday I'll be as brilliant in battle as you are, Father. I swear I won’t let you down.
I know you won't, Caeldori. Just don't push yourself too hard!

*A moment later*

So this is a very specific scene that's only available on Revelation and if Selena is the mother. For obvious reasons.

Goodness, Mother. You startled me. But don't you look impressive! As always. I don't know how you do it.
Hmm. Well, Caeldori, there's something I suppose I should tell you. When you were young, you looked so much like your father. But now... Time has its way with us.
What's that? How odd. Time has its—?

Yes. Of course. You've told me much about Grandmother. She was as perfect a knight as has ever been seen. I've always felt that you and Grandmother were so alike!
Actually, it's YOU that's like my mother. You're her spitting image.

Out of all the things in Fates, this might be the most awkward situation to create.

The way you carry yourself...every move, every word you say...
Really? I'd love to think that I'm a little like such a great woman. I'll have to work even harder to honor her memory.
Well, you're doing fine. But... But... Just don't mess up!
Yes! I swear I'll do my very best for you, Mother!
Ha ha! All right, all right... I'm sorry. I didn't mean to overreact.

Super awkward easter egg for Awakening fans.

Hmm? What, Mother? Are you being serious?
Um, well... Let's just forget I said anything, Daughter.

Unit Joined

Caeldori

Class sets: Starts as Sky Knight, Mercenary, Samurai
PSkill: Prodigy-At the start of the battle, if the enemy’s Strength or Magic (whichever is highest) is higher than Caeldori’s corresponding stat, damage +4

Growth Rates
HP: 47.5
STR: 42.5
MAG: 20
SKL: 42.5
SPD: 57.5
LCK: 57.5
DEF: 40
RES: 45

Not great growths outside of speed, despite her perfection personality. The price you pay for the elusive Cordelia connection. She makes a great Hero with sky high HP growth, but meh.

Heeee-yah! Hah! Hyah! Pchew! Pchoo pchoo pchoo! Blamm-o! Nyoom! Kshaw!

Maybe it skips a generation.

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009
Yeah I guess what it boils down to was 'I wish that Anankos storyline didn't exist' which I think we can all agree with. I do think Takumi selling his soul to make him more powerful would make a lot more sense (if not cliched) from a story perspective, but they're not gonna let that happen to perfect pure-hearted not-Japan. Makes him more of a selfish of a bad guy (which let's face it, he is) because he'd be making a conscious decision to do so.

I still think he's a terrible final boss, though. You want to build up your final boss to be badass and somewhat threatening, not some broody teenager pineapple boy. Push that stupid possession arc if you want, but at least fight him before Garon, cripes.

It's also mind-boggling that the 'good ending' is the most confusing and nonsensical route. Like, that is the one storyline you want to make the most epic/compelling/awesome and make sure you don't get wrong.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
This whole situation feels like the result of the devs going "Hey it's Awakening, you love Awakening, right? It's like your favorite characters and mechanics from AWAKENING!" and slipping on the world's biggest banana peel.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Last Hoshidan kid is Hayato's. Go.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Nyx. Accept no substitutes.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Nyx.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ajkalan posted:

Nyx. Accept no substitutes.

If we weren't accepting substitutes, we wouldn't be getting this kid at all.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

LordHippoman posted:

This whole situation feels like the result of the devs going "Hey it's Awakening, you love Awakening, right? It's like your favorite characters and mechanics from AWAKENING!" and slipping on the world's biggest banana peel.

Really, this is true of a lot of Fates. Even down to the opening cutscene being a premonition of a plot-important scene, leading into a flash-forward prologue that teaches you the basic mechanics.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Nyx

The only best choice.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Nyx

To pump up her magic stat as high as it can go.

Ozdhaka
Oct 20, 2012
Yeah sure, let Nyx (try to) raise a kid, that'll go well.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Gotta be Nyx.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

It's Nyx, to stop the flooding now.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Tae posted:

So this is a very specific scene that's only available on Revelation and if Selena is the mother. For obvious reasons.

Goodness, Mother. You startled me. But don't you look impressive! As always. I don't know how you do it.
Hmm. Well, Caeldori, there's something I suppose I should tell you. When you were young, you looked so much like your father. But now... Time has its way with us.
What's that? How odd. Time has its—?

Yes. Of course. You've told me much about Grandmother. She was as perfect a knight as has ever been seen. I've always felt that you and Grandmother were so alike!
Actually, it's YOU that's like my mother. You're her spitting image.

Out of all the things in Fates, this might be the most awkward situation to create.

The way you carry yourself...every move, every word you say...
Really? I'd love to think that I'm a little like such a great woman. I'll have to work even harder to honor her memory.
Well, you're doing fine. But... But... Just don't mess up!
Yes! I swear I'll do my very best for you, Mother!
Ha ha! All right, all right... I'm sorry. I didn't mean to overreact.

Super awkward easter egg for Awakening fans.

Hmm? What, Mother? Are you being serious?
Um, well... Let's just forget I said anything, Daughter.

Oh god, this is the most uncomfortable Futurama bullshit.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Oh god, this is the most uncomfortable Futurama bullshit.

Yep. And Severa's got some major character regression in the supports. It's just weird, the whole thing. And, like most times Fates gets weird, not in the good way.

Aesclepia
Dec 5, 2013
Next verse same as the first.

Ozdhaka posted:

Yeah sure, let Nyx (try to) raise a kid, that'll go well.

But she doesn't have to! You just birth them, then leave them in the Deeprealm for a few weeks and voila! Full grown human! Complete with ~*-*~issues~*-*~

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

In defense just leaving your kid to be raised by retainers is apparently common in the FE universe, even FE awakening has Chrom and co leave behind baby Lucina while they go off to war, they even address this by saying that yea, been like that for us too.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Avalerion posted:

In defense just leaving your kid to be raised by retainers is apparently common in the FE universe, even FE awakening has Chrom and co leave behind baby Lucina while they go off to war, they even address this by saying that yea, been like that for us too.

Except that Lucina was born in a time of relative peace. Chrom originally wanted her mother to stay behind too but she just goes, 'nuh uh I'm going end of story'.

In Fates everyone just shrugs and go, 'yeah we're in a war, but how about we squirt out a baby? Don't worry about raising them, there's a workaround'.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Avalerion posted:

there's a pretty big difference between having your kid raised by a nanny and leaving them in a hell dimension where they'll be dead by the time their parents have aged a year if left alone and where everyone they know and love will have to be left behind to die in a year if they ever leave

seriously, you can get the kids as early as like chapter 10. how much time is implied to pass over the course of fates's plot? a few months? if they'd left the kids alone until the end of the plot they would have been in their like 50s by the time they were out.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Unless they went into the hell dimension themselves as soon as they found out they were pregnant, the kids mechanic makes no sense with scope of time anyways.

There is no way we stopped mid Hoshido takeover for 9 months so someone could pop out a kid and banish them to the hell dimension in the narrative we were given. No thought was put into this outside of "well people liked the Awakening kids".

Crawfish fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Aug 4, 2017

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Which is weird since every other FE game with kids or a second generation justifies them very well.

Why they shat the bed here is something that remains a mystery

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Which is weird since every other FE game with kids or a second generation justifies them very well.

Why they shat the bed here is something that remains a mystery

I suspect it's a casualty of trying to shove three completely different story campaigns into one game. They needed a one size fits all solution.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

IS need to recreate the ballsiness they had in Geneaology and do more things like killing the entire first generation. or other such dickish acts.

Honestly theyve felt way too pandery ever since awakening.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Guys, a friend of mine has linked me to the answer.

https://www.reddit.com/r/fireemblem/comments/6rf8n3/fire_emblem_wild_theory_thread/dl54m8l/?st=j5y4g4ll&sh=d3b54ed0

(if there are spoilers in there besides names of characters we haven't seen yet, I don't recognize them, so uhh... lemme know?)

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

BlazetheInferno posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/fireemblem/comments/6rf8n3/fire_emblem_wild_theory_thread/dl54m8l/?st=j5y4g4ll&sh=d3b54ed0

(if there are spoilers in there besides names of characters we haven't seen yet, I don't recognize them, so uhh... lemme know?)

This makes way too much sense.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

wow, I kind of want a Fates stage play now

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015

BlazetheInferno posted:

...Quick, someone get some fanfiction writers on this! They can't do any worse than the actual writers did!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gilgamesh255 posted:

...Quick, someone get some fanfiction writers on this! They can't do any worse than the actual writers did!

With all due disrespect for the writing in Fates, this isn't even close to accurate.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Gilgamesh255 posted:

Look back at CptWedgie's posts in this thread, and re-think your statement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Gilgamesh255 posted:

Have you seen the fan translation of Fates? Because as we all know the biggest problem with Fates' translation was that it wasn't just wooden enough.

• Locked thread