Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Byolante posted:

Tulsi Gabbard, who never met a muslim she didn't think would be better off dead, somehow has a better foreign policy position than most politicians
if india went to war with pakistan, she'd be the first one to demand that we join on the side of the righteous hindis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
https://www.nohatespeechmovement.org/hate-speech-watch/report/submit

The EU is funding a youth led mob justice campaign against whatever you want to denounce right now

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
For some reason the text fields are in all caps, I guess that's fitting.

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'

Byolante posted:

https://www.nohatespeechmovement.org/hate-speech-watch/report/submit

The EU is funding a youth led mob justice campaign against whatever you want to denounce right now

i fuckin love hate speech

post some of your fave hate speaches

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

passionate dongs posted:

Byolante has issued a correction as of 06:02 on Aug 3, 2017

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'

?? man are sjws attackin cartoons now?

what a world

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

FuzzySkinner posted:

I've just dealt with this guy before.

If you want to get in a pages long pissing match where he pretty much labels everyone who doesn't agree with him a "Bernie Bro", and pedantically calls those that don't agree with his point of view as "Followers of Saint Bernard", by all means, be my guest.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3796651&pagenumber=548&perpage=40#post467709639

Heh look at this snowflake

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

passionate dongs posted:

?? man are sjws attackin cartoons now?

what a world

https://www.adl.org/education/references/hate-symbols/pepe-the-frog

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'

quote:

However, because so many Pepe the Frog memes are not bigoted in nature, it is important to examine use of the meme only in context. The mere fact of posting a Pepe meme does not mean that someone is racist or white supremacist. However, if the meme itself is racist or anti-Semitic in nature, or if it appears in a context containing bigoted or offensive language or symbols, then it may have been used for hateful purposes.
byolante not read own links?? i am shocked

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

passionate dongs posted:

byolante not read own links?? i am shocked

I should have noticed you were a trump thread poster and just not responded.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

So is this thread some kind of GBS gitmo

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

zegermans posted:

So is this thread some kind of GBS gitmo

I doubt it because this thread is pro Chelsea Manning

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

passionate dongs posted:

"Capitalism bad"

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

passionate dongs posted:

"I disagree with you."

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
"your opinion of this media has no bearing on my enjoyment of the media"

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Maybe we should have universal healthcare

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The best thing about this election cycle was watching many people slowly go crazy while thousands of frog memes got tweeted at them.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

It's funny how emotionally invested many journalists and pundits get in twitter, to the point where they feel compelled to get into spats with some anonymous 150 follower account tweeting them pepes. I get why twitter is useful for journalists but they seem to be collectively both very invested in it and also very easy to troll and get strong reactions from, inviting even more trolling.

MaxxBot has issued a correction as of 10:52 on Aug 3, 2017

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I once had a self-described SJW argue with me about whether or not a person's twitter feed is a public or private space.

Tear down Twitter imo.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

the trump tutelage posted:

I once had a self-described SJW argue with me about whether or not a person's twitter feed is a public or private space.

Tear down Twitter imo.

There is actually this giant blocklist bot that someone on twitter made so people like this can block as many people with different opinions as possible.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

http://freebeacon.com/politics/former-clinton-adviser-sanders-detrimental-democratic-party/

God I wish the DSA and The Greens (Sans anti-vaxxers...) would become viable alternatives at this point.

I would love nothing more then for the Democratic party to die a lonely death as everyone goes towards other options.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

FuzzySkinner posted:

I find myself frustrated with people who I am (idealogically speaking) aligned with, but disagree with them on things related to that manner.

Matt Christman for example, was talking about how the collapse of the Soviet Union was a bad thing for the people there (Lower life expectancy, lower quality of living), and I just really couldn't disagree more. While perhaps statistically that may be true? The Soviet Union was a very flawed state, and the people their deserved greater freedoms. (The flip side? We deserve a higher life expectancy, higher quality of living)

R.L. Stephens and others in the DSA are discussing the elimination of the police, jails. While I understand their perspective, again? Couldn't disagree more. (If the discussion is related to eliminating and then replacing them with a better run system? I think I'd be on board with that).

I don't know if that makes me a bad lefty though. I feel on board with a great percentage of what they're about, but it feels like there's some rivers I just cannot cross.

edit: It's not that I find these people "bad". Quite the opposite, I actually admire them, but there's just these bumps in the road I'm noticing.

Yeah how the hell would you eliminate police and jails. What does that even mean.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Yeah how the hell would you eliminate police and jails. What does that even mean.

Okay I looked up the DSA statement on abolishing police and prisons and they really are just stupid as gently caress. Go to about halfway through the article to see what I mean.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Okay I looked up the DSA statement on abolishing police and prisons and they really are just stupid as gently caress. Go to about halfway through the article to see what I mean.

I understand the perspective, and I'd rather have conversations with people who wrote that article than I ever would someone like Kamela Harris.

But...it's not a practical one if you want a functioning society. I sure as poo poo would not like to live in a world where Jeffrey Dahmer, Dylan Roof and John Wayne Gacy were still allowed to walk the streets in spite of both committing horrible crimes. You have to "protect" the public, and that's an important job that a government has in place.

My theory is that they're starting from the far left perspective in order to gain some sort of "ground" in regards to solving those problems.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
who kills more americans per year? dahmer/gacy types or the police?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

got any sevens posted:

who kills more americans per year? dahmer/gacy types or the police?

the police of course.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Wouldn't simply disarming the police dramatically reduce the numbers of deaths without the same number of negative consequences?

In the absence of police the number of people who would go full Dahmer would be low but you'd bet that petty theft and assault and such would be absolutely rampant.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

MaxxBot posted:

Wouldn't simply disarming the police dramatically reduce the numbers of deaths without the same number of negative consequences?

In the absence of police the number of people who would go full Dahmer would be low but you'd bet that petty theft and assault and such would be absolutely rampant.

That doesn't work in a country where gun ownership is not only legal but a protected right. You'd probably have the same number of deaths but it'd be police instead of civilians.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Jeb! Repetition posted:

That doesn't work in a country where gun ownership is not only legal but a protected right. You'd probably have the same number of deaths but it'd be police instead of civilians.

seems like the problem is solved then imo

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

really queer Christmas posted:

seems like the problem is solved then imo

No, because it's not fair or practical to ask our public servants to just throw themselves to the wolves, and it'd lead to increased use of a separate military police like in Brazil. Who'd be even less accountable than our police forces now.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

But again, this is a far more productive conversation than what we see out of Democrats and Republicans.

It's why while I disagree with it completely? I'd rather have this conversation than with someone who wants to buddy up with the far right on these types of issues.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Jeb! Repetition posted:

No, because it's not fair or practical to ask our public servants to just throw themselves to the wolves, and it'd lead to increased use of a separate military police like in Brazil. Who'd be even less accountable than our police forces now.

I was obviously joking and do agree it's bad. But I would at least rather simple patrol dudes to not have a handgun and only have a long arm in the car to at least make sure only veterans having 24/7 access to a gun. This may not be feasible everywhere and every city, but it would at least drop some civilian casualties and force an officer to think about pulling the weapon out.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

FuzzySkinner posted:

But again, this is a far more productive conversation than what we see out of Democrats and Republicans.

It's why while I disagree with it completely? I'd rather have this conversation than with someone who wants to buddy up with the far right on these types of issues.

I kind of know what you mean. Even though I think anarchists and tankies are ridiculous I still feel like they're more courageous and have their hearts in a place closer to right than centrists do.

I was obviously joking and do agree it's bad. But I would at least rather simple patrol dudes to not have a handgun and only have a long arm in the car to at least make sure only veterans having 24/7 access to a gun. This may not be feasible everywhere and every city, but it would at least drop some civilian casualties and force an officer to think about pulling the weapon out.

Mm, maybe.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

It looks like they still want some law enforcement entity and enforcement of punishments for serious crimes, this doesn't look totally unworkable but you'd run into a lot of the same problems with #4 as you do with the current police.

quote:

Additionally, we must connect to anti-racist groups both internally and beyond DSA to explore nationally-backed local campaigns for:

1. Unarmed mediation and intervention training for street harassment, partner violence, gang violence, and mental health crises — potentially modeled after groups like Cure Violence and Ceasefire

2. Decriminalization of most nonviolent crime. It is often petty offenses, such as traffic violations or other low risk infractions that pull poor people into the orbit of the prison system. Criminalizing these types of petty offenses is also a significant source of revenue for some cities, particularly those with strong Black populations such as Ferguson.

3. Decriminalization is the only surefire way to stop this exploitation and racism.
Restorative justice models rather than prison sentences

4. Community patrol and copwatch trainings

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

community patrols are a great idea, those good ol boys down in the south gotta keep watch

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Wait am I misunderstanding or is your solution that we take the handguns away from amateurs so only the professional killers have them

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Australian police have guns and tasers but people aren't getting shot Willy nilly over here. Maybe there is more to the problem than just cops being murderous lunatics because plenty of Australian cops are just as bad as American ones apart from the shooting everyone thing.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Crane Fist posted:

Wait am I misunderstanding or is your solution that we take the handguns away from amateurs so only the professional killers have them

I mean, in a better world the experienced cops would be more trained and aware of situations of when their guns would be needed and when to keep them holstered or unused. That may not be true in this world though.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

I mean, in a better world the experienced cops would be more trained and aware of situations of when their guns would be needed and when to keep them holstered or unused. That may not be true in this world though.

Oh you meant veteran cops as in they've been cops for a long time, not as in cops who were in the forces

That's def less insane, my bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i read that nicaragua has a way of vetting local police that's supposed to make them more accountable and easily punished, but i can't find it anywhere. when i did read it, i thought that could be something that could be effective in curbing their worst impulses over here

it also doesn't help that there's a class aspect to being a cop, and not just in the sense of protecting private property that overwhelmingly favors the better-off. it's a middle class job in most parts of the country, and that's reflected in the places that cops usually live. just under half of NYPD officers actually live in the five boroughs (it's gotten lower in recent years), and those guys usually live in westchester county and long island. that doesn't count the ones that live in staten island, which is one of the boroughs but is closer in character to those suburban areas. there's a racist aspect to policing high-crime areas, but there's also a classist aspect- you can go home to your house in scarsdale and feel glad that you don't live in brownsville or hunts point

any way of transforming policing has to deal with that too

• Locked thread