Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
khy
Aug 15, 2005

Thank you for the wikipedia link about Lorelai, I'm getting more and more curious about the details of her power or presence. Is she simply a siren, or is there more to it than that?

Her singing about water rising and 'drowning in a person', and the sudden water-related hallucinations (The cup in http://www.wildelifecomic.com/comic/374 and the nightmare) are obviously linked, but what about Oscar's missing hours where he went from morning to mid-afternoon? And perhaps it's just me but I don't feel like he's being depicted as all that 'infatuated' with her as much as she's showing obvious interest in him and he's reciprocating it, which is FAR less obsessive than Siren's Songs are usually depicted in mythology.

Cat Mattress posted:

The next chapter of Wilde Life: Oscar finds that Podunk is oddly deserted, despite all the efforts apparently made to attract tourists, like this whole statue park that appeared. He goes on a date with the attractive girl at the park's entrance booth, a goth chick with a pet snake, named Maddie Ouza.

gently caress. It took me longer than I'd liked to make the connection there. I need to read more mythology and less sci-fi.

khy fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Aug 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

khy posted:

Thank you for the wikipedia link about Lorelai, I'm getting more and more curious about the details of her power or presence. Is she simply a siren, or is there more to it than that?

Her singing about water rising and 'drowning in a person', and the sudden water-related hallucinations (The cup in http://www.wildelifecomic.com/comic/374 and the nightmare) are obviously linked, but what about Oscar's missing hours where he went from morning to mid-afternoon? And perhaps it's just me but I don't feel like he's being depicted as all that 'infatuated' with her as much as she's showing obvious interest in him and he's reciprocating it, which is FAR less obsessive than Siren's Songs are usually depicted in mythology.

That's the thing--she had no intention of entrapping him and is just flirting with him as a person because she likes him, but he also heard her song (by accident) and it's loving him up. It's an open question at this point whether his attraction is genuine or a side effect of the song. She assumes the worst and thinks that he's only flirting back because of her powers, he assumes the spark between them is real because he has no real reason to believe otherwise.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
I had no idea about Lorelai as a mythological/folklore thing. It's possible for someone to be genre-savvy and just not know all of the genre.

It's an interesting concept—take a siren who just wants to be loved for herself, and not because she accidentally used her magic enchanting powers that just kind of happen. I suppose there's something to be said about gender politics when you consider that the male analogue is "I just want to be loved for myself, and not for my money".

quote:

The next chapter of Wilde Life: Oscar finds that Podunk is oddly deserted, despite all the efforts apparently made to attract tourists, like this whole statue park that appeared. He goes on a date with the attractive girl at the park's entrance booth, a goth chick with a pet snake, named Maddie Ouza.

Speaking of gender politics, the snake was foisted on her by a female pet store owned after she was raped in the pet store by the owner's uncle, and the owner is super pissed that Maddie had sex and defiled her wonderful, natural place.

(At least, in Ovid's telling)

Axiem fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Aug 4, 2017

Clean Your Teeth
Jul 10, 2009

http://www.astralaves.com continues to be my favourite web comic where I have no idea who anyone is or what's going on. If anyone has any idea of where the story is going please tell me.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The evil blond witch with the poofy hair is going on the typical power-mad ego-trip where he's trying to get some spirit entity to steal the soul (?) of all the other witches. The good brunette witch with the poofy hair, with the help of her friends the good blond witch with the poofy hair, the blond not-witch with the poofy hair, and the big guy with a chin, have disrupted evil witch's plan by cutting the magical soul shackles thing and turning it into a sword (?) that cut the rest of chains? Something like that. Anyway now it's a hot mess and the spirits have no idea what's happening, in which they are pretty much in the same situation as the readers.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Cat Mattress posted:

The evil blond witch with the poofy hair is going on the typical power-mad ego-trip where he's trying to get some spirit entity to steal the soul (?) of all the other witches. The good brunette witch with the poofy hair, with the help of her friends the good blond witch with the poofy hair, the blond not-witch with the poofy hair, and the big guy with a chin, have disrupted evil witch's plan by cutting the magical soul shackles thing and turning it into a sword (?) that cut the rest of chains? Something like that. Anyway now it's a hot mess and the spirits have no idea what's happening, in which they are pretty much in the same situation as the readers.

Good-brunette-(Astra) turned her bloody bandage into a sword to cut the shackles, but otherwise yes. The ghosts in AA never get humans very well and I'm starting to get why :v:. Things seem like they're going extra-poo poo right now because evil-blond-witch-with-the-poofy-hair-(Ghastaphar)'s minions didn't get his message to not gently caress with reality, so they went through with their plan to gently caress with reality in some undisclosed way.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Clean Your Teeth posted:

http://www.astralaves.com continues to be my favourite web comic where I have no idea who anyone is or what's going on. If anyone has any idea of where the story is going please tell me.

those ghost merchants are great :kimchi:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

http://scarygoround.com/?date=20170808

I don't know Neil, I'm pretty sure Tim can make argon explode.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Questionable Content continues to consistently have rich characters just solve other characters' problems for them, often immediately after they are introduced.

Nobody's even loving anymore. The comic used to be about who would gently caress who.

God dammit he makes so much stupid money on his patreon

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Well in this context the character whose problem is being solved by the rich character is sort of the rich character's...property? Ward? Not really sure how the human-robot dependent relationship goes.

Questionable Content definitely has run out of problems to drive storylines for the time being, but more will probably come along over time. Besides, you don't read QC for it's plot, you read it because it's there and non-threatening. If you want a comic that leaves a bunch of unresolved plot threads in its wake only to dredge them up later for some crazy dramatic roundup, you want Sluggy Freelance.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Yeah, Hannelore's family is well established as being so rich that her dad owns a space station, and her iPod With Feet has been her robot buddy basically since her introduction. :shrug:

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

SlothfulCobra posted:

Besides, you don't read QC for it's plot, you read it because it's there and non-threatening.

Basically the point of most long-running web comics. Mental comfort food. We love them because we've been reading them since we were young and un-critical of bad literature. What keeps us liking them is so much nostalgia.

In my opinion, only a few actually hold up artistically, or even improve, over decade-long runs. Good examples abound in this thread (SGR,Oglaf, probably a few I haven't read) Of the not-so-much-improving ones, most of them are long forgotten in this thread. For some reason people are still apparently following QC though? Go figure.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Sluggy Freelance is good, actually.

Uhh, looks like the whole Hereti-Corp arc is getting resolved after all. Should be only a few more months, a couple years perhaps.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Yeah this is a pretty sharp escalation in Sluggy Freelance world. Its not the end, Schlock almost certainly wasnt in the building, but it is definitely getting there.

Also Junior Scientist Power Hour finally updated again! Abby Howard is still my favorite webcomic person and her new dinosaur book is great but man her "main" comic really hasnt had much content for a while. Maybe now that the books out we will be seeing updates more regularly.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
jsph owns, glad to see it back

in other gribbly comic news uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

:byewhore:

My only regret is that she didn't find a way to take Rjinder with her. Or maybe she will, there's always Friday after all.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

i don't know whether to be grateful or worried that skinless rjinder is never actually drawn

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
It is probably not the case, but I like to think that the kids silently escaped while the adults were arguing :v:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
It looks like the climactic clash of Kiwi Blitz is finally about to begin. I'm honestly not sure who actually has the upper hand here because both Jones and Steffi are idiots who think they're smarter than they really are and there's quite a bit of "I know that you know that I know that you know that I know that you know" poo poo going on w/r/t how much of the last few scenes were actually "real" and how much of them were staged because Steffi and co. knew (or at least suspected) 42 was listening in on them.

That said, I do hope the dorky dog boy in the (ironic?) UW jacket makes it out of this alive. The dude's just some hapless 5th string loser who's in over his head thanks to Jones and is probably gonna get wrecked super hard once the fighting starts.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Unlucky7 posted:

It is probably not the case, but I like to think that the kids silently escaped while the adults were arguing :v:

They were certainly sneaking out a few panels ago.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

It looks like the climactic clash of Kiwi Blitz is finally about to begin. I'm honestly not sure who actually has the upper hand here because both Jones and Steffi are idiots who think they're smarter than they really are and there's quite a bit of "I know that you know that I know that you know that I know that you know" poo poo going on w/r/t how much of the last few scenes were actually "real" and how much of them were staged because Steffi and co. knew (or at least suspected) 42 was listening in on them.

That said, I do hope the dorky dog boy in the (ironic?) UW jacket makes it out of this alive. The dude's just some hapless 5th string loser who's in over his head thanks to Jones and is probably gonna get wrecked super hard once the fighting starts.

Just watch, the only survivor is going to be 42.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

AriadneThread posted:

i don't know whether to be grateful or worried that skinless rjinder is never actually drawn

IIRC, it's been pointed out in-comic that if you can see where the organ was, you'll just see some magic portal thing instead, since the organ is still functioning despite not being where it's supposed to be.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Double Punctuation posted:

IIRC, it's been pointed out in-comic that if you can see where the organ was, you'll just see some magic portal thing instead, since the organ is still functioning despite not being where it's supposed to be.

What about that kid with the face monster? He was going around with an exposed skull most of the time.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Begemot posted:

What about that kid with the face monster? He was going around with an exposed skull most of the time.

Because skulls are :krad:, but exposed muscles are not.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So...are Riley and Scout going to be heading to Tackleford permanently? I mean, the main reason for going to Wales was to keep Tim out of sciencing, and that caravan-turned-into-a-boat has sailed...

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Poppy update.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Honestly Chicadino's power seem like it'd be too unwieldy to actually be useful. Or he must also have a superbrain to be able to constantly process several thousand simultaneous conversations 24/7.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Yvonmukluk posted:

So...are Riley and Scout going to be heading to Tackleford permanently? I mean, the main reason for going to Wales was to keep Tim out of sciencing, and that caravan-turned-into-a-boat has sailed...

Whatever the case, it has me feeling really bad for Riley. Before Hard Yards I didn't like her that much, but now I kind of want Tim to fail.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I don't really understand what Riley and Tim's relationship is supposed to be. At what level of banished/separated/divorced are they officially not an item?

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

We already know Shelley and Tim break up and he starts graying and gets a rockabilly haircut within a few months of these events so... I'm not sure where this is going.

Actually she's been pregnant for over 2 years now ...and that comic takes place after Eustace's funeral but he just came back with Erin, so I don't actually know where in the timeline is "now" or how far ahead we've seen.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

feetnotes posted:

We already know Shelley and Tim break up and he starts graying and gets a rockabilly haircut within a few months of these events so... I'm not sure where this is going.

Actually she's been pregnant for over 2 years now ...and that comic takes place after Eustace's funeral but he just came back with Erin, so I don't actually know where in the timeline is "now" or how far ahead we've seen.

It's confusing because the New Bobbins stuff hasn't always been synced with the ongoing Bad Machinery stories. The below-the-comic blurb at the start of Hard Yards clarifies that it's a rewind to when Shelley first got pregnant (which is where the run-in with Erin happened.)

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

SlothfulCobra posted:

I don't really understand what Riley and Tim's relationship is supposed to be. At what level of banished/separated/divorced are they officially not an item?

She still loves him and is raising a child with him even though she kicked him out for incredibly good reasons, I don't think there's official rules on when you're not longer allowed to feel bad about seeing the other half of that relationship running around impregnating random women

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

Honestly Chicadino's power seem like it'd be too unwieldy to actually be useful. Or he must also have a superbrain to be able to constantly process several thousand simultaneous conversations 24/7.

He can probably focus his attention to a manageable amount at a time. One of the speech bubbles does have his daughter saying "if you are listening."

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
What's wrong with your FAAAAAA͏̝̼͎͔̟̼̬͟A͝҉̬̤̖C͉̠͟C̷̘͈̣̤̖͉̦C̪͡C̢͚͓̟͚̟͜Ć͎̩̜̭͚̪̗̥͈C͉̲̩̠͇͕̯̥ͅĆ̺̬̙̙͢͜C̝C͔͕͙͡C̴͕͕C̷͓̻̗̖͈̬̰͘C̷̵̝C̶̵̸̬̖͈̟̩̪̰̮̀ͅC̵͜͡҉̹̗̮̬͔̬͈̠̗͉̮̀Ç̡̺͖̣̤̦̲͖̯̼̱̫͘͢É̵̸͖̤̳͉͇E̵̡̤͕̤͇̤͍̲̥̼̭̦͓͢͢͞Ę̨̛̯͇͓̺͝E҉̵̻̬͓̭̣͎̝̘E̴͉͇̮͇̲͉͖̱̝̜̰͇̬̯͝E̴̡̖̟̝͍̯̩͇̘̣̻̯̩̱̮͈͖̟͠ͅE̶̛̦͇̬̪͓̭͍͍̖̝͞E̷̪̟̬̲̘̰͔̝̭͕̫̮̠̥E̸̢̲̳̻̩͉̙̥̜E̴̶̡͓̳̦̻̭̞̝̪͉̱͚͔̱͇E͏҉̴̘͈̰͙͍͉͈̳͙͘È̮͓͔̩̥͚̱͟͠͠Ę̖̮̗̙͚͈̀E̺͉̼̟̥̕̕͡͡Ę̨̰͙̹̠̖̝̹͇̞͟E̷̥̤̰̮͔̬̪͖͘E̢͚͉͍͚̹̭̫͖̙͕̫͚͝͞͞ͅ

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Modesty jeans

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Just remember folks, that's not cloth or something, that's strips of his skin. :stonklol:

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Calaveron posted:

Modesty jeans

Be greatfull. I'm pretty sure we don't want to see what's happening with his business down there.

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011

Pavlov posted:

Be greatfull. I'm pretty sure we don't want to see what's happening with his business down there.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Hopefully this is the right place to ask but I am looking for an old webcomic I used to read and everything I have googled hasn't worked, and ohnorobot doesnt have it. It started as like a text adventure where a dude went into a pyramid to hunt lions and all the panels were stuff like GET LION and CHOP LION and then he found a village of DigDugs and they went to a city where everyone could turn into tanks. I hope this makes sense to someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Monster Killers

https://monsterkillersarchive.wordpress.com/

• Locked thread