Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Slammy posted:

And He Did. (December, 1916)

goon carrying a printer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

what the gently caress is Meg's problem. Dustin is putting himself out there, taking any job he can get, making a genuine effort to do it properly, and she is still mocking him.

Has Meg ever even had a job.

also it's a stupid joke

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Fleep

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Ein cooler Typ posted:

what the gently caress is Meg's problem. Dustin is putting himself out there, taking any job he can get, making a genuine effort to do it properly, and she is still mocking him.

Has Meg ever even had a job.

also it's a stupid joke
There's a reason she's the 'good child'. And that reason is parroting her shithead dad's views. :v:

Maslovo
Oct 12, 2016

So in Dick Tracy, what was the purpose of the other fat guy in Snails plan?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Dick Tracy is like a fever dream. Best not to think too much on it.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

I believe the joke was that he needed it for his big, floppy nose.

I know. I had to search for it, too.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

That joke..........

stinks

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Is this intellectual giant just realising that Fleep means telephone?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Also, aren't emergency numbers free from a phonebooth? Brute force dialing with an instant confirmation and no cost.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Tunicate posted:

Also, aren't emergency numbers free from a phonebooth? Brute force dialing with an instant confirmation and no cost.

that's what he did between pages (it's implied there was a brief timeskip)

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

that's what he did between pages (it's implied there was a brief timeskip)

But why is he waiting for a callback, then, instead of just seeing if the line connects (since obviously a nonemergency/nonoperator number won't connect)

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Haifisch posted:

The Amazing Mole Man

I legitimately think the two recent Mole Man arcs (The first one a couple years ago and this one) are the high points of this newspaper comic strip. Mole man is just such a likable character.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

FrumpleOrz posted:

Safe Havens

Will someone for the love of gently caress please explain to me why this strip has characters that are always hanging upside-down from trapeezes or whatever? I ask every time it appears and nobody seems to know what the deal is.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Will someone for the love of gently caress please explain to me why this strip has characters that are always hanging upside-down from trapeezes or whatever? I ask every time it appears and nobody seems to know what the deal is.

Fetish comic.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (March 10, 1952)

Nancy (April 27, 1944)

Wash Tubbs (December 25, 1929)

Gasoline Alley (January 23, 1924)

Lil' Abner (September 22, 1937)

Barney Google (January 24, 1923)

Alley Oop (April 25, 1934)

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
I'm so happy for the return of King Aroo, it's one of my favorite strips. I love it so much that my girlfriend bought me a collection for Christmas, since she knows I love it from this thread.

BC

Phoebe and her Unicorn

Bald-OH poo poo THE BABY FROM "OH BABY" WAS FINALLY SPAWNED IT WALKS AMONG US poo poo poo poo poo poo

Wizard of Id

Big Nate

Wallace the Brave is just some nice little artwork today.

Curtis

This is clunky, but I like it.

Baby Blues

Honestly this is a marked improvement over regular Monopoly which, as several of you have pointed out, is a horrible loving game.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

I think this might be one of the things that's most upsetting about Holbrook. All his stuff feels like a fetish comic, it has all the trappings of it, but I genuinely don't think they are meant to be. Not like Brooke. I don't think Holbrook is interesting enough to have such weird fetish poo poo. He just thinks it's all "world building" and "fun character traits" and is super-banal about his incredible fetish fodder. As a result, ALL his strips, even the mot mundane "lol office work amiright" strikes the same tone as the fetishy stuff, and suddenly it's all fetish.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
If I remember right he is in something like Cirque du Soleil so obviously people in that always are on trapeze at all times. I don't know how his head isn't like a bloated tick from always being upside down though.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Vargo posted:

Baby Blues

Honestly this is a marked improvement over regular Monopoly which, as several of you have pointed out, is a horrible loving game.

They should play Battlestar Galactica.

"Airlock Hammie! He's a cylon!"

"Nuh uh! I put the Calculations card in the last check, booger brain!"

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Aug 4, 2017

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Every Holbrook comic is like talking to a guy who hasn't realized his fetishes are fetishes.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Julet Esqu posted:

Because Team Evans have decreed that Les possesses the character trait "irredeemably evil," so even though you have no particular reason to think that Les is a scam artist and even consider him a friend, as a designated protagonist you are required to mistrust him at every turn unless Team Evans declares you the innocent victim in the current plot.

She accepted his dirty crime money and jewelry before, why wouldn't she do it again?

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Professor Wayne posted:

Every Holbrook comic is like talking to a guy who hasn't realized his fetishes are fetishes.

This is a much shorter way of saying what I said in that big post above.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Like, if Holbrook's fetish is "people turning into stuff in a cartoonish way" then cool, whateves, I don't kinkshame.

But it's not just that; it's that and characters whose joke is that they have a characteristic that isn't funny, and the weird rear end virtual world, and the weird world where the animal people are okay with slaughtering each other for food, and the perfect cheery goth girl. It's just too much, even spread across three strips.

The Classic Dinette Set has never heard that one before.

Working Daze is all buildup, no payoff.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix finds your lack of faith...disturbing.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

Vargo posted:

I think this might be one of the things that's most upsetting about Holbrook. All his stuff feels like a fetish comic, it has all the trappings of it, but I genuinely don't think they are meant to be. Not like Brooke. I don't think Holbrook is interesting enough to have such weird fetish poo poo. He just thinks it's all "world building" and "fun character traits" and is super-banal about his incredible fetish fodder. As a result, ALL his strips, even the mot mundane "lol office work amiright" strikes the same tone as the fetishy stuff, and suddenly it's all fetish.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Like, if Holbrook's fetish is "people turning into stuff in a cartoonish way" then cool, whateves, I don't kinkshame.

But it's not just that; it's that and characters whose joke is that they have a characteristic that isn't funny, and the weird rear end virtual world, and the weird world where the animal people are okay with slaughtering each other for food, and the perfect cheery goth girl. It's just too much, even spread across three strips.

I don't get anything fetish-y or creepy with Holbrook, except for maybe Dethany's Male-pattern Baldness, which I think is just an homage to Edgar Allen Poe. Those themes are ever-present, but it doesn't give off that "creepy" vibe like Brooke and his creepy leg and lamprey fetish. Rose is Rose is kinda uncomfortable at times as it can be so saccharine and not in a funny way. Holbrook tries but isn't very funny and yet still he tries and he's not un-funny enough that I don't want to read his stuff.

Also from what I've seen of his comic romances, he doesn't really obsess with them as much as others. They go on, but they aren't always central or over-taking of every strip when they do. They're not making out every other panel either.

mastersord fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Aug 4, 2017

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (June 4-5, 1930)

Peanuts (August 5-6, 1970)

Sally Forth

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (September 19-20, 1930)

Thimble Theater STARRING POPEYE (February 20-21, 1931)

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

An appropriate answer for a surprising percentage of comics-related questions.

mastersord posted:

Rose is Rose

Speaking of fetish comics...

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

Julet Esqu posted:

Speaking of fetish comics...

Yeah, I heard Rose is Rose used to be a fat fetish comic until complaints came in and they changed it.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Gloomy Rube posted:

I legitimately think the two recent Mole Man arcs (The first one a couple years ago and this one) are the high points of this newspaper comic strip. Mole man is just such a likable character.

i would not complain if they phased out peter and replaced it with the adventures of rocket, melvin, squirrel girl and the corpse of ronan

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

How many times can Batiuk make the joke "Crankshaft is senile and can't remember words or figures of speech"?

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

:agreed:

Arlo and Janis Classic (October 16, 1995)

Garfield Classic (October 15-16, 1985)

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nancy

This orphan child can't take care of his house. What a lazy bum!

The next song: Maxwell's Silver Hammer

Dustin

Mandrake

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

Zippy

Ripley's

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

:sigh:

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5CVsCnxyXg

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

I think you're overreacting to his questions here, Dawn.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Well I was close.

Secret Agent X-9

Uh, could it be to not let them know he's there, follow them, and the later capture them?

Apartment 3-G

• Locked thread