Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Saralene posted:

Not on topic to the CS3 stuff, but I'm really glad Cold Steel is finally out. That port felt like it had a bit of a troubled development, but Durante's involvement (Durante is awesome) helped it turn out really fantastic in the end. It feels like I'm going to have to live up to the quality of Cold Steel with my configuration tools in the future, if I can.

The reason I'm not posting this in the CS thread instead is that I wanted to say I'm already taking some small steps to at least try to bring the Sky trilogy to some level of parity with that awesomeness, although it's not much yet. The Steam versions of Trails in the Sky will no longer require Steam to launch from now on, just like Cold Steel, although Steam will still be required for Steam features of course. I'm definitely working on redoing the configuration tools too, but it's going to be a much longer process... as will adding more graphics options, though I do hope to someday!

As far as CS3 goes though, drat. Every single new release of info is making it look better and better and at this point I almost feel like some part of me is starting to go "Sure... but what's the catch?"

The catch is so much being addressed means we are sure to need a CS4 to really finish up Erebonia. :V

How difficult would bringing turbo mode to the sky trilogy be? I know the speed of the combat in those games can be a huge barrier to entry for a lot of people.

Regardless you and Durante are doing bang up jobs with these games and I hope you never stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saralene
Feb 17, 2011

Developer, Gamer, and
apparently, Vtuber

The question of life is not,
"Are you a catgirl?"
but rather, it is in fact,
"Are you a catgirl yet?"

Zaggitz posted:

How difficult would bringing turbo mode to the sky trilogy be? I know the speed of the combat in those games can be a huge barrier to entry for a lot of people.
It wouldn't. The game engine has always supported it. I think I just never felt like it was the right kind of liberty to take, but given that it's a feature of our Cold Steel release now, I'll give it more consideration...

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Zodiac Age basically opened the gateway to be okay for old rpgs to have fast forward. It's one of the things constantly praised for.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Justin_Brett posted:

These fights with the mud guys in 3rd are garbage.

What a way to bring the player down after that dramatic moment, loving hell.

That one of the best sequences in 3rd what are you smoking

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Some Numbers posted:

That one of the best sequences in 3rd what are you smoking

The dialogue with them was great, actually fighting them was extremely not fun.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.
The slow combat in TitS is one of the few things I consistently mention to friends when I recommend it, along with "please bear with it, it's worth it" and "There really isn't a penalty for running from everything; abuse it". I have one friend who has outright said he'd be progressing in SC much faster with something like that, so I'm 110% behind that feature getting backported to Sky.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Manyorcas posted:

The slow combat in TitS is one of the few things I consistently mention to friends when I recommend it, along with "please bear with it, it's worth it" and "There really isn't a penalty for running from everything; abuse it". I have one friend who has outright said he'd be progressing in SC much faster with something like that, so I'm 110% behind that feature getting backported to Sky.

yeah not to be pushy, but please consider it, because it's something that would be really great to have (even as an apologist for the combat speed), and i don't think it goes any further then any of the other polish that has been added to the steam releases of these games.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
I never felt bothered by the combat speed in the Sky series myself, but even I will agree with the rest that a Turbo mode for the Sky games would remove one of the biggest barriers for new players...ESPECIALLY people who played the Cold Steel games first and make it one heck of a lot more appealing to new players. I assure you nobody would cricitize you for taking too much liberty with an existing title. If it's a feature you can implement before a large swath of curious Cold-Steel-First players starts checking out the Sky games, you'll drastically improve the odds of them sticking around to buy SC and 3rd.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I probably buy the PC versions if they had a built in speed up option.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I'd almost prefer a fancy cutscene over this boss I got to. If I have to spam Kevin's new S Craft to win couldn't it at least max his CP out before the fight?

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.

Cyouni posted:

You may recall his title is the Phantom Thief.

Cool, Joker!

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Beelerzebub posted:

Cool, Joker!

https://twitter.com/RPGSite/status/893339546636566529

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Is The Abyss particularly buggy for anyone else? The black square thing keeps happening there for me.

This loving door :smithicide:

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Aug 4, 2017

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

So how do you actually edit in music

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
The songs are all just uncompressed wav-files in a music folder and replacing them with other sound files. That said, replacing Falcom music in a Falcom game with non-Falcom music is a heresy only death-by-salification will atone for and even the thought of replacing the music should fill you with shame.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

why is there some guy on the steam discussions who posts in every thread about falcom being insanely conservative and cold steel being supportive of the class structure

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

:rolleyes:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

why is there some guy on the steam discussions who posts in every thread about falcom being insanely conservative and cold steel being supportive of the class structure

I don't know about the insanely conservative part but Cold Steel is pretty kind to the idea of noblesse oblige and the inherent value of the rich upper class. I think that's largely because it fits the culture but especially in the current climate I can understand not having a ton of sympathy for it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I don't know about the insanely conservative part but Cold Steel is pretty kind to the idea of noblesse oblige and the inherent value of the rich upper class. I think that's largely because it fits the culture but especially in the current climate I can understand not having a ton of sympathy for it.
you spend the entire second game beating up the nobles

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

you spend the entire second game beating up the nobles

That is correct, but the game also paints some of them relatively sympathetically and reveals they were being manipulated by Osborne the entire time. I don't agree with the person but it isn't a case of "and then you beat up the corrupt nobles forever!"

I should note I don't think this is a bad thing and it makes perfect sense for the writing and setting. I think it's a good thing not every sympathetic character is instantly on the Dismantle The Nobility train.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

That is correct, but the game also paints them relatively sympathetically and reveals they were being manipulated by Osborne the entire time.
wheres the sympathy for duke cayenne because im not seeing it

there's some decent nobles in the series but the decent nobles are also the ones who spend half their screentime decrying the privilege of other nobles. like the erebonian royal family are painted as good guys but also our biggest window into them is olivier who thinks the caste system sucks. i dont think cold steel is for full communism now but it's hardly conservative. if anything the weird wonk read you could make on trails is that its libertarian considering how much it seems to adore small government and communities taking care of themselves, but even that's undermined by it also pointing out that people need to rely on and help each other.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Aug 4, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

wheres the sympathy for duke cayenne because im not seeing it

there's some decent nobles in the series but the decent nobles are also the ones who spend half their screentime decrying the privilege of other nobles. like the erebonian royal family are painted as good guys but also our biggest window into them is olivier who thinks the caste system sucks

S'why I edited in 'some" because I didn't want to be overly broad in my statement. A lot of the nobles are not really opposed to the idea of nobility being a thing, they're just really big into noblesse oblige. Which is fine and makes perfect sense for the characters but it isn't as simple as it being 'gently caress the caste system" and "not gently caress the caste system." This is good writing because it makes sense for the characters and how they behave and not everyone is going to go Full Machias but also means (especially since like pretty much all of Class VII is from well-connected families, including Machias) the game treats some subject matter more positively than they would if your group was compromised of poo poo-upon lower classes.

And I think that is part of why the Crossbell interlude in CS2 is important because it lets us see Rean from the outside and makes it pretty clear how a sympathetic dude like him could be the villain to another group of people, and makes it clear that some of the writing in CS is influenced by the culture of the land rather than the writer's own thoughts.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Aug 4, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah thats fair but the dude on the steam communities just thinks the games are insane conservative power fantasies where the nobility is never questioned, the church is pure good, and anyone who disagrees with the noble power structure gets owned which is just blatantly false at every turn so tbh i dont even know what disagreement we're having here

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

yeah thats fair but the dude on the steam communities just thinks the games are insane conservative power fantasies where the nobility is never questioned, the church is pure good, and anyone who disagrees with the noble power structure gets owned which is just blatantly false at every turn so tbh i dont even know what disagreement we're having here

Oh, yeah, then I misunderstood you, that dude is crazy. Sorry!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

All I see is japanese audio and DLC complaints on the steam forums

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

All I see is japanese audio and DLC complaints on the steam forums
that dude pops up in one of the jp audio threads to say that falcom is clearly an insanely conservative country and thus would never share the glory of their pure japanese language with us unwashed westerners

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also there are already cold steel nude mods

maybe steam was a mistake

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

How easy is it to mod in the JP audio?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

if the bgm is just .wavs i imagine all the voice clips are too, the only issue would be that the dub has more voice acting than the jp version does

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yeah there's already a collection of all the .wav files going around and the solution for the extra english va people are using is just replacing them with dummy files

xseed isn't legally allowed to let people do that on the community hub though so if you want those you gotta join a discord

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Sakurazuka posted:

Find link to voice stuff from the ps3 version, delete stuff in voice folder inside of the data folder. Paste japanese voice stuff into data folder.

Done. It can just be dropped in (also yeah I guess put in dummy files for the extra english VA).

Fine with the english VAs myself. Did a double take when Fie's voice was tired Morgana.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

The Trails series is like one of the most progressive to come out of japan so I dunno what the hell that dude is on about.

I'm also now reminded of that steam thread when Sky FC hit where the dude was like "Liberl sounds too much like Liberal and its triggering me and my deeply conservative values."

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Endorph posted:

also there are already cold steel nude mods

maybe steam was a mistake

People using their newfound control over the camera to look up the girls skirts discovered that everyone has a unique design on the soles of their shoes so i think it was all worth it

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

lets hang out posted:

People using their newfound control over the camera to look up the girls skirts discovered that everyone has a unique design on the soles of their shoes so i think it was all worth it

Fie's shoes better have a Strega logo, whatever it is.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

ImpAtom posted:

S'why I edited in 'some" because I didn't want to be overly broad in my statement. A lot of the nobles are not really opposed to the idea of nobility being a thing, they're just really big into noblesse oblige. Which is fine and makes perfect sense for the characters but it isn't as simple as it being 'gently caress the caste system" and "not gently caress the caste system." This is good writing because it makes sense for the characters and how they behave and not everyone is going to go Full Machias but also means (especially since like pretty much all of Class VII is from well-connected families, including Machias) the game treats some subject matter more positively than they would if your group was compromised of poo poo-upon lower classes.

I think even if the group was comprised of poo poo-upon lower classes, most characters still wouldn't go full Machias. What's worth remembering is that the class system has been in place for centuries in Erebonia. All Erebonians have grown up with it, have been familiar with it from an early age and most have never left the country, so they don't really question it. It's just part of life for them. I think it's actually good writing that native Erebonians don't mull over its existence too much.

It's kinda like Americans don't really question the imperial measuring units they use despite the most of the world AND the scientific community using the much more logically structured metric system.

A Sinister Rap
Oct 19, 2012

Endorph posted:

The only thing that really aligns with that is that Machias is kind of a poo poo at the start, but shortly after you're in Celdic and you start to see people aligned with the nobles exploiting commoners. I do think that because of the times we're in now, folks are more iffy about how Cold Steel engages with its politics, but I do think by the end of 2 it at least pointing towards the right direction with regards to the class system, along with having themes like "there are some things you simply can't be neutral about", "it's lovely that the younger generation has to fix the mistakes of older ones', but someone has to do it", and "rampant imperialism sucks".

Also I know that Erebonia is based on Germany, but I wouldn't know if there's anything actually based on history, à la Tactics Ogre and Yugoslavia, though I do wonder if that's something worth considering.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
Machias also has deeply personal reasons for his views and later admits that.

BearDrivingTruck fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Aug 4, 2017

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I kinda dig how the game doesn't just SAY "maybe the truth is in the middle," but instead shows you the dangers of both sides gaining too much power. The noble alliance was dumb, obviously, but when the opposition is Osborne you're playing with fire either way.

The player, along with Rean, reaches the game's conclusion wondering exactly what the right path could be. Trying to balance the power between both sides would be anything but easy, especially now after a civil war & annexation. Very turbulent times in the ol' Erebonia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Something I really appreciate about ToCS's writing is that it is willing to accept the fact that the bulk of the cast grew up in honestly a pretty lovely place and it colors their views rather than pulling the really really standard fantasy story trope of having every sympathetic character inherently opposing negative things. It's really easy to see how you can have a cast of hugely sympathetic characters in Erebonia with a protagonist who none the less is responsible for attacking and annexing a foreign nation who (Japanese players at least) have reasons to be sympathetic towards and why that's an issue. It's obviously going to get at least a somewhat positive resolution because Trails isn't really a pessimistic series but it's nice from a worldbuilding perspective.