Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

There Bias Two posted:

This is a hilarious abuse of a technicality

The United States Senate described in 8 words

e: technically a dog!

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Aug 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

exploded mummy posted:

the "technicality" is that the President has no power to force Congress to recess

that is not a bad thing

The founders certainly had King Charles and the lead up to the English Civil War with that.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I have a legit question for the soda thread:

Who is the market for those 10/15/20 calorie sodas and root beers?

Why?

If you want diet soda, drink a diet soda. If you want sugar, drink a regular soda.

Who was out there complaining that their diet soda would be perfect if it only had 10 more calories?

Good thing this is Sodathread, so I know this:

For the most part, they're not a marketing move. Most citrus-based(and other) soda's were always 10 or so calories, because they had ingredients that added a very small amount. Under old regulations, anything that was close to zero could simply state it had zero calories, because LOL america is fine with folks lying about things to sell product. Then that changed, and they had to change their labels. Their option was to reformulate, which pisses folks off, or list it as 10 while they reformulated and marketed a new version.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Rigel posted:

yeah, originally when they were drawing up the constitution, they were thinking of what to do if a vacancy occurs in an important office while the Senate is away, during times when people travelled by train or carriage and no one was going to be in congress for like 2 or 3 more months.

for the record, the 2nd Congress outside of being sworn in March, did not start its first session until the last week of October and concluded it in the first week of May. The 2nd session started in November and concluded in March just before the next Congress was due to be sworn in. They were basically in session for 13 months of 24.

our last Congress for comparison was out of session for 2 weeks

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Legit question here: Don't 'generic' candidates always poll higher than actual living, breathing ones?

It feels that 'Generic' usually means each voter imagining his dream candidate taking on what he doesn't like. Real people have issues, can be bad speakers, dodgy pasts, etc that turn off a chunk of the potential voters.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Sephyr posted:

Legit question here: Don't 'generic' candidates always poll higher than actual living, breathing ones?

It feels that 'Generic' usually means each voter imagining his dream candidate taking on what he doesn't like. Real people have issues, can be bad speakers, dodgy pasts, etc that turn off a chunk of the potential voters.

Yes. But that generic democrat can afford to lose a few points and still win a blowout.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

:yayclod:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
That PPP poll is almost assuredly not accurate.

The Flake question follows 8 questions asking if they approve of Jeff Flake voting to impose lifetime limits on healthcare coverage and mentioning that the healthcare bill failed.

Plus, the obvious issue with "generic democrat" and 22% "unsure."

A poll with 8 leading questions prior to the main response getting the response that those 8 questions were leading to is not surprising.

Edible Hat
Jul 23, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
They polled before and after those questions. Reread Question 3 and Question 13.

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I know this is old, but I never knew how loving tacky Mount Rushmore looks from a distance. It's like a car without tires on Native American's holiest lawn to announce how comfortable we are with the place.

Jaxyon posted:

Good thing this is Sodathread, so I know this:
Drink more water, watch less TV.
I assumed it was hopeless for any kind of consequences, but it appears the senate is not going to allow Trump to shut down the investigation, and I don't think they'd bother unless it it was so painfully obvious trying to impede it would verge on criminal behavior. We may actually see a rich person prosecuted for breaking the law, which is kind of shocking.

Also, after hearing the recording, I can't believe the the mooch is a self-inflicted name, or that Ronnie Cordova got involved in politics. This nation is a shambling white trash embarrassment.

evilweasel posted:

Yes. But that generic democrat can afford to lose a few points and still win a blowout.
And then go on to support policies that effect people's lives for the better and aren't functionally useless seat holders for the DLC under complete control of the donor's whims.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
It's also a private advocacy poll from "Our Lives On The Line - Protect America From the Republican Health Plan"

Any private advocacy poll that gets released publicly, has very large outlier results that happen to fit the sponsor's narrative, and have strongly leading questions is suspect.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

That PPP poll is almost assuredly not accurate.

The Flake question follows 8 questions asking if they approve of Jeff Flake voting to impose lifetime limits on healthcare coverage and mentioning that the healthcare bill failed.

Plus, the obvious issue with "generic democrat" and 22% "unsure."

A poll with 8 leading questions prior to the main response getting the response that those 8 questions were leading to is not surprising.

The approval is off of the first questions, which was before any of the other questions were read. The rest is designed to see how those lines impact his numbers, but the initial number is valid enough.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Does this governor switching to (R) make anything about a constitutional convention possible?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Jaxyon posted:

For the most part, they're not a marketing move. Most citrus-based(and other) soda's were always 10 or so calories, because they had ingredients that added a very small amount. Under old regulations, anything that was close to zero could simply state it had zero calories, because LOL america is fine with folks lying about things to sell product.

Literally everything about food labeling is rounding. We might say we make food in a lab, but nothing is so exactly manufactured that every mcnugget actually has exact 50 calories. Every food has trace amounts of everything in them.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

It's also a private advocacy poll from "Our Lives On The Line - Protect America From the Republican Health Plan"

Any private advocacy poll that gets released publicly, has very large outlier results that happen to fit the sponsor's narrative, and have strongly leading questions is suspect.

This is one of my favorite youtube clips on the subject

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0ZZJXw4MTA

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

EngineerJoe posted:

Does this governor switching to (R) make anything about a constitutional convention possible?

No, constitutional conventions need state legislatures (and WV is extremely likely to already be controlled by Republicans as it is)

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

EngineerJoe posted:

No, and even if it did, you would still need 3/4ths of state legislatures to approve any amendments to the constitution. It isn't going to happen.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Literally everything about food labeling is rounding. We might say we make food in a lab, but nothing is so exactly manufactured that every mcnugget actually has exact 50 calories. Every food has trace amounts of everything in them.

So what you are saying is that all foods are homeopathic medicines?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

So what was Trump's exciting announcement tonight?

Kill Dozed
Feb 13, 2008

Data Graham posted:

Governor of West Virginia is switching parties.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Kill Dozed posted:

and he can go gently caress himself!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Why?

If you want diet soda, drink a diet soda. If you want sugar, drink a regular soda.

Who was out there complaining that their diet soda would be perfect if it only had 10 more calories?

I think a&w 10 root beer tastes better than diet a&w root beer. it's clearly a different recipe

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Top fox story I saw on Apple news was Hillary and her love for luxury hotels.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Kill Dozed posted:

I bet Trump was sad that he didn't get to be the one to break the news.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Shifty Pony posted:

Soda being alcoholic is one of the weird ones. Like 7up is one proof but they don't list that on the label because that is nonsense levels of low. But some strict religious people won't drink 7up because of it.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Data Graham posted:

Piss tape is real.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

No lie, I'm framing that motherfucker.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I miss when the Trumps plagiarized Obama

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Your Taint posted:

No lie, I'm framing that motherfucker.

It'd be nice to get a whole series of them to really tie a room together.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Nervous posted:

The "meltdown" Time covers would work.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Nervous posted:

Well, bad news for you, trump is about to pivot!

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

Why?

Beverage R&D /product developer here, former Coca-Cola R&D too.

Men. Men are the demographic. Men don't drink diet sodas as a whole because they're seen as "feminine." The ten calorie sodas have been relatively successful. Coke Zero has been a runaway hit with men because it doesn't say "diet."

Also stevia is garbage.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

gently caress Jim "jobs jobs jobs" Justice.

http://www.wvgazettemail.com/news-politics/20170803/wv-gov-justice-switching-political-parties-returning-to-gop

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

Beverage R&D /product developer here, former Coca-Cola R&D too.

Men. Men are the demographic. Men don't drink diet sodas as a whole because they're seen as "feminine." The ten calorie sodas have been relatively successful. Coke Zero has been a runaway hit with men because it doesn't say "diet."

Also stevia is garbage.

This explains a lot about those insanely over-the-top Dr. Pepper 10 commercials from a few years back.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

empty whippet box posted:

Well, bad news for you, trump is about to pivot!

Into a heart attack when he gets nothing but mean words on his vacation and he can't relax?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Acebuckeye13 posted:

This explains a lot about those insanely over-the-top Dr. Pepper 10 commercials from a few years back.

The best indicator of it was when Coca Cola was running the promotion with names on cans/bottles. Coke Zero was overwhelming men's names while Diet Coke was women's names.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I think they were the ones who started off with "gently caress off ladies, this isn't for you" and then ended in a much funnier direction.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Diet soda is gross as gently caress, if you don't want calories than just drink water or coffee or tea like a normal person.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Diet caffeine free coke, is the only coke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

Shifty Pony posted:

the main way that the fda is authorized to act is through truth in advertising and labeling, because its creation (or rather, 1938 reorganization from the 1906 act whose enforcement could easily be evaded by a huge loophole in the wording) and the legislation lining out its funding and powers came in response to old timey proprietary medicines killing people, especially the untested Elixir out of bristol tennessee which killed 107 people. Based on the 1906 act the feds at the time could only move on it because it was incorrectly labeled, not because it was poisonous.

the fda is and always has been seriously underfunded so the most effective way they work is through truth in labeling lawsuits. one of the main reasons they have expanded powers today is because of homeopathic medicines.

• Locked thread