Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
I had an idea for Pamela, but I'm not sure how well it'd work. Basically make Pamela a kind of separate game mode from Jason. You can kill her with damage, but she's quick and she's tough. However, the normal win conditions are gone. Tommy Jarvis isn't even an idea in Mr. and Mrs. Jarvis' head, the cops won't believe you that the cook from the camp is killing people, and driving away from camp can't save you. Pamela is after YOU specifically, and she knows how to drive a stick.

However, I then run into a brick wall with this idea. How do you incentivize the counselors so that they have to split up so that they can be picked off? Make it so that no one starts with a weapon and severely limit the number of weapons on the map? How would you make Pamela work? She should obviously be able to run and sneak through windows, but she probably shouldn't be able to grab, but she ought to be very handy with her machete and be able to pick off counselors quickly. How do the counselors win? Just do enough damage, or maybe they have to pull off a slightly easier cinematic kill scenario? Just doing enough damage would turn the match into a game of rocket tag. I dunno, it seems it'd be tricky to balance while still keeping it thematically appropriate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet

VolticSurge posted:

Don't forget the toothbrush.

Toothbrush is key

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
A cinematic kill if they manage to stun her by escaping her grasp then hit E with a machete :v:

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

hmm...

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
Pam doesn't need a separate game play mode. She just needs different stats and that is all.

Constantine XI
Dec 21, 2003
omg turk rush

A.o.D. posted:

I had an idea for Pamela, but I'm not sure how well it'd work. Basically make Pamela a kind of separate game mode from Jason. You can kill her with damage, but she's quick and she's tough. However, the normal win conditions are gone. Tommy Jarvis isn't even an idea in Mr. and Mrs. Jarvis' head, the cops won't believe you that the cook from the camp is killing people, and driving away from camp can't save you. Pamela is after YOU specifically, and she knows how to drive a stick.

However, I then run into a brick wall with this idea. How do you incentivize the counselors so that they have to split up so that they can be picked off? Make it so that no one starts with a weapon and severely limit the number of weapons on the map? How would you make Pamela work? She should obviously be able to run and sneak through windows, but she probably shouldn't be able to grab, but she ought to be very handy with her machete and be able to pick off counselors quickly. How do the counselors win? Just do enough damage, or maybe they have to pull off a slightly easier cinematic kill scenario? Just doing enough damage would turn the match into a game of rocket tag. I dunno, it seems it'd be tricky to balance while still keeping it thematically appropriate.

One of the counselors is secretly Pamela with a Chad mask on.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Skunkrocker posted:

Pam doesn't need a separate game play mode. She just needs different stats and that is all.
Yeah, adherence to the films didn't keep them from doing Parts 2 and 3 as a zombie even though that's technically alive Jason. gently caress messing with the formula.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Pam should just be a Jason with low stun resist, who can sprint like a counselor and climb through windows. More mobile but easier to fight. Super boosted Stalk too. That's it. There's no reason to get weird with it

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Is there an item dupe exploit or is this just F13 being F13?

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Inside Out Mom posted:

I'm thinking of making a Jason costume for Halloween. I'm between normal 3 or NES Jason. Which do you think will terrify trick or treaters more?

The NES Jason would be fun but the flip side is that you don't want a costume that you have to explain. I think that one would go over much better in a convention, as you said.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Regrettable posted:

I've seen it happen with the rotor for the boat. Think it's just F13 being a rushed janky game that's hella fun.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

ChickenHeart posted:

It's me, Weed-wacker Jason

*ominous tiny 2-stroke engine noises echo in the woods*

Unironically one of my favourite moments in the movies.

Pamela Voorhees doesn't need to be a separate game mode, but she does need gameplay-centric changes to make her work. Ideally weapon changes on the map, and a new change to the game where the player who is Jason is hidden until first sighted in game by a player. Just display their Counsellor portrait until someone see's them or is killed by them. Shotguns being removed would be beneficial, because it suggests that Pamela might have removed things she deems too problematic in her plans to murder people, using hiding spaces, etc, are all great ideas.

People overthink her implementation and go off the deep end with crazy poo poo (mostly on reddit) with stuff like OH SHE CAN SPRINT FOREVER AND SHE CAUSES OTHER PLAYERS TO FREEZE IN FEAR AND CUTS THEIR THROAT AND CAN SUMMON JASON AND DROWN PEOPLE AND SHE ALSO HAS A GUN.

Pamela should be a surprise attack option as far as killers goes, and needs some form of cool abilities that makes it so that when you realise she's on you it's almost too late. Right now we have shift as the weird loving teleport scramble ability for Jason - I see no reason for her not to have a special version that works just like that. I also love the stalk idea people had where she appears like another counsellor.

a cock shaped fruit fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Aug 4, 2017

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Regrettable posted:

I dunno, but fwiw, nobody could find a single gas canister despite a coordinated search

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
There was a livestream of the mo-cap session today as well as some info about what's been going on behind the scenes of upcoming developments for F13!

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1LyxBEYBrvkJN

Edit: Just got to the part where they show the mo-cap / description of what the kill was, and it's pretty fuckin' gnarly.

Ghostpilot fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Aug 4, 2017

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Do you mind summarizing?

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Burkion posted:

Do you mind summarizing?

I'm still watching it right now, but the first kill they record is a 'gas can kill', Jason pours the gasoline down their throat, lights a flare, and shoves it in their mouth. they burst into flames and die.

so maybe we're getting environmental kills based on actual items in the world

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

Burkion posted:

Do you mind summarizing?

New kills shown so far:

1. At around the 9 minute mark: Gas can kill: Jason pours gasoline down a counselor's throat, strikes a flare and shoves it into their mouth.
2. Around 12:30 and again at the 16:45 mark: Sign kill: Jason headbutts the counselor, rips off a nearby sign, bashes them in the face with it before decapitating the downed counselor with it.
3. Around 20:45 and 26:00: Jason breaks off a tombstone, bashes the counselor in the face with the jagged edge of it before swinging and breaking it over their head.
4. 32:20: don't get a good shot of it, but there is a several-page list of kills.
5. 34:50: Talk about the process of taking the mo-cap footage. Something simple like the head punch kill can take a few hours. Something more complex - like the spear through the ear - took about 36 hours. Some kills can take upwards of a week.

It's really cool stuff, and certainly shows how passionate they are about the project. As hesitant as I was in the beginning, I've more than gotten my money's worth out of it so far.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

They mention, but don't show, a frying pan kill. Jason takes it from you and beats you with it. I'd say new Jason kills based on weapons/items/etc in the world seems pretty likely if that and the gas can are both getting in

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

No one is ever going to see a tombstone kill unless they come out with a new map.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
If they don't do something with that mounted deer-head/fish so help me God

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Grem posted:

No one is ever going to see a tombstone kill unless they come out with a new map.

It's done on a counselor from behind, while they're unaware of Jason, so it may be for singleplayer

edit: near the end of the stream they start discussing a 2 person spear kill, done on a sleeping couple, where they're both killed at once, so they're for sure working on some singleplayer content here. not all of this will be in multiplayer.

unless theyre gonna let us sleep together in mutliplayer now. lachappa crusin for love

Sea Lily fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Aug 4, 2017

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Gas can kill has me wary that Jason's going to have the ability to cockblock you from exit routes. If he destroys one or both of the gas cans then you can kiss your car and/or boat goodbye and then you're pretty much hosed.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

King Vidiot posted:

Gas can kill has me wary that Jason's going to have the ability to cockblock you from exit routes. If he destroys one or both of the gas cans then you can kiss your car and/or boat goodbye and then you're pretty much hosed.

My assumption is that you'll have to be carrying the item for him to do the kill, so it would hopefully make people more likely to drop it and run instead of wasting it.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

I hope it's a new context based on if he grabs you while you are performing the action. Like, he can only gas murderfuck you if you are actively pouring it when he grabs you.

Also sidenote: I actually wish the cars really did have a gas meter that dictated how long they can be driven, just to get rid of the bumblefucks that drive for a full 15 minutes to spite you. A short term bumblefuck of them laughing and juking you? Sure, that's cool - but the people that actually, genuinely avoid the exit to gently caress with Jason and run over folks need a deterrent.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

a cock shaped fruit posted:

I hope it's a new context based on if he grabs you while you are performing the action. Like, he can only gas murderfuck you if you are actively pouring it when he grabs you.

Also sidenote: I actually wish the cars really did have a gas meter that dictated how long they can be driven, just to get rid of the bumblefucks that drive for a full 15 minutes to spite you. A short term bumblefuck of them laughing and juking you? Sure, that's cool - but the people that actually, genuinely avoid the exit to gently caress with Jason and run over folks need a deterrent.

That's an idea someone I played with mentioned. A gas meter would be a really nice addition. I also like the idea that if you gently caress up the mini game, that has an effect on how much gas actually goes into the car.

So with the meter it could be green/yellow/red and a perfect mini game puts you all the way in green, which let's say gives you 5 minutes worth of driving, plenty of time to juke Jason a bit, but still putting a limit on how much you can actually troll Jason.

Same deal for the boat but maybe make the time a bit longer or if the boat runs out of gas, the counselor/s on board can swim to the exit. But only if they were on the boat. Can't let everyone swim away, that would be terrible.

I don't think adding a few more survival game mechanics to the game for the counselors could hurt.

E: glad to see someone else use the term "Bumblefuck" in relation to this game. It's my go to for what's usually happening at the car in most of my matches.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

joylessdivision posted:

E: glad to see someone else use the term "Bumblefuck" in relation to this game. It's my go to for what's usually happening at the car in most of my matches.

It's an apt way to describe car shenanigans.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Look, the one thing I will say for Pamela is that she should be able to crawl through windows with no penalty. That's the only thing that's so different from Jason I'll support. Or gently caress it, don't even have that and just make Pamela a weirdly strong psychopath who can break down doors too in Betsy Palmer's body. But seriously stop trying to come up with these insane ideas that would require having to reprogram half the goddamn game to accommodate her. She doesn't need a new gameplay, she doesn't need to "disguise" herself. She's just Jason with tits. And that's the way it SHOULD be.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I still say just make her Tommy, but on Jason's side. Let her gently caress with repaired cars and boats and be able to pick up weapons, but be much more vulnerable than Jason.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Guys she's just going to be a Jason reskin and reuse Kane Hodder's animations. She will also be 7 feet tall.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

King Vidiot posted:

Guys she's just going to be a Jason reskin and reuse Kane Hodder's animations. She will also be 7 feet tall.

This would rule and honestly be the only way it wouldn't suck.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Would you get a kill by knocking her sweater off, wearing her sweater and tricking her into thinking you're her?

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

I like to imagine (and I already wrote about this) that Pamela gets waaaaay shorter cooldowns and spawn times on her abilities in exchange for being absolutely the weakest loving character. Essentially, if you can get her health down low enough (and a good Pamela would NEVER let that happen, given you can constantly shift and morph and stalk to your heart's content) you can just initiate the kill with any character, not just Tommy, without the sweater or mask being a requirement. Maybe it has to be a female character, so Pamela is incentivized to kill the femmes off, and males are incentivized to keeping them alive.

Or loving off in the car or boat. Bros before hoes, am I right guys?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

King Vidiot posted:

Would you get a kill by knocking her sweater off, wearing her sweater and tricking her into thinking you're her?

You'll have to decapitate her with an machete using a female counselor.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You knock a rubber Pamela mask off and it's Roy underneath.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

King Vidiot posted:

You knock a rubber Pamela mask off and it's Roy underneath.

Jinkies!

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Nana Visitor face, when

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

More mocap shenanigans

https://twitter.com/Randygbk/status/893628911711432708

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

Chad, that's rude.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

a cock shaped fruit posted:

Chad, that's rude.

:allears: What a good mocap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
So with a few more steam market sales, I'll finally be able to get this game. Is there any advice for someone completely new? I only played in the beta last year and that beta was a week at most iirc.

• Locked thread