Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

After digging out my old 1k of Necrons...dammit, I'm back on the Egyptian Terminator Wagon.

Rolling for RP every single turn is absolutely brutal. 20 warriors and a cryptek just cannot be shifted unless you direct all your fire at them.

Good poo poo, was starting to think that I was the only one itt rocking the tin mans. Have you discovered the joy that is My Will Be Done + Immortals w/ Tesla Carbines + Trairch Stalkers yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

!Klams posted:

Are they any different from space marines or necrons?

The base troops are basically guardsmen stats with better shooting and a 4+ save and way better guns.

Then you also have access to kickass robots.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

!Klams posted:

Are they any different from space marines or necrons?

Their base troops aren't as durable or resilient as either Necrons or Space Marines, owing to lower toughness, Leadership, and no reanimation protocols to help them out. As an army, they're considerably slower since they have no transports or ability to teleport in, save for Infiltrators. You do have some amazing guns though, durable characters, and the robots are a good mix of durable and shooty as hell. You've also got easy access to snipers and a lot of versatility with Canticles.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

SteelMentor posted:

I just want to say that if you play Death Guard, and if you play Typhus/Necrosius Poxwalker spam you're a bad person and deserve nothing but scorn.

I have no idea what Necrosius is but I totally field Typhus and 60 poxwalkers

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
I've been messing around with the new SM codex this week and I have some thoughts:

1. What are Reivers for? Deepstrike? Outflank? Lots of bolter shots? Close combat? I feel like they're for close combat, but they're not crazy good at it.
2. The Repulsor is a bajillion points. ~350 if you kit it out for anti-tank. That's crazy expensive for a dedicated transport.
3. The Redemptor seems like a solid unit. ~200 for some serious anti-infantry firepower and some nasty close combat punch. Cool model, too.
4. Hellblasters are a cool unit. The assault plasmas are trash, but the other 2 are pretty nice. Stick a cheap captain between two units in cover and they're a problem for anyone (especially if you play Raven Guard like me!). It would be better for them if they had a transport that didn't cost 350 points, though.
5. The plasma inceptors are hot loving garbage at 86 pts per model. MSU = 258. No thanks.
6. Conversely you could take 6 agressors of either loadout (as they're the same cost) for 258. A 6-man agressor squad looks particularly good with Raven Guard because of that infiltrate stratagem. Deploy them 9 inches away, move 'em, advance 'em, shoot 'em, and charge 'em. They can tie up a whole bunch and cause serious damage to infantry in the shooting phase and to tanks/monsters in the fight phase. A little pricey, but still pretty effective.
7. The primaris librarian is awesome, but he's the best character by far. The apothecary comes in second because he's an elite and can raise the dead. The rest of the characters are kinda lackluster. Though I like the idea of putting the burning blade on a lieutenant for free. Makes him a little bit scary.

I'm excited to work through these guys and get some games in with them. The models are fantastic and they seem pretty good. I'm very happy they made Raven Guard so good. We've been poo poo since 5th edition.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
I'm having a lot of fun putting together the Dark Imperium kit but I have to say that there's a special place in hell for miniature designers that make arm bits where you have to hook an arm in, connect a second arm, and then get the second arm's wrist into the gun hand of the weapon held by the first arm

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

It's funny as hell that Iron Warriors get Wrecker in 40k. Wrack and Ruin bittttttchhhhhhh

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

The Sex Cannon posted:

I've been messing around with the new SM codex this week and I have some thoughts:

1. What are Reivers for? Deepstrike? Outflank? Lots of bolter shots? Close combat? I feel like they're for close combat, but they're not crazy good at it.
2. The Repulsor is a bajillion points. ~350 if you kit it out for anti-tank. That's crazy expensive for a dedicated transport.
3. The Redemptor seems like a solid unit. ~200 for some serious anti-infantry firepower and some nasty close combat punch. Cool model, too.
4. Hellblasters are a cool unit. The assault plasmas are trash, but the other 2 are pretty nice. Stick a cheap captain between two units in cover and they're a problem for anyone (especially if you play Raven Guard like me!). It would be better for them if they had a transport that didn't cost 350 points, though.
5. The plasma inceptors are hot loving garbage at 86 pts per model. MSU = 258. No thanks.
6. Conversely you could take 6 agressors of either loadout (as they're the same cost) for 258. A 6-man agressor squad looks particularly good with Raven Guard because of that infiltrate stratagem. Deploy them 9 inches away, move 'em, advance 'em, shoot 'em, and charge 'em. They can tie up a whole bunch and cause serious damage to infantry in the shooting phase and to tanks/monsters in the fight phase. A little pricey, but still pretty effective.
7. The primaris librarian is awesome, but he's the best character by far. The apothecary comes in second because he's an elite and can raise the dead. The rest of the characters are kinda lackluster. Though I like the idea of putting the burning blade on a lieutenant for free. Makes him a little bit scary.

I'm excited to work through these guys and get some games in with them. The models are fantastic and they seem pretty good. I'm very happy they made Raven Guard so good. We've been poo poo since 5th edition.

Every time I make a list with inceptors I find something else to put in it instead sadly, I am not sure what their use is with how expensive they are.

I loving love Redemptor dreads, so much shooting from a platform that can retreat and shoot again(I was playing as Ultramarines)

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

So I'm just getting into Space Barbies, and I've been wondering something. Is there a good reason why anyone would choose to worship Nurgle? Like, I can kinda see dudes who love fighting going crazy to worship the god of war, or the god of pleasure, but who is really getting all excited to become a follower of the god of poop and barf. Plus your guts fall out when you worship him it seems? Do they explain why they always look eviscerated, or is it just because "GROSS!"?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

The Sex Cannon posted:

Reivers seem like gunline busters for me. Infiltrate behind cover, approach from the shadows, then stun 'em and charge 'em. Weaker gunlines like Termagants, Tau, and Guardsmen fold majorly, and some Mathhammer demonstrated that on average a 10-man squad could potentially slice a unit of Boyz in half. Hell, an MSU regiment of them is as cheap as a basic troop and can be used to deny Overwatch for heavier-hitting units like Sanguinary Guard or Assault Marines, if that's your taste.

The Repulsor I still think should've just been a tank, and a stripped-down version should've existed as a Primaris Rhino.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Beast Pussy posted:

So I'm just getting into Space Barbies, and I've been wondering something. Is there a good reason why anyone would choose to worship Nurgle? Like, I can kinda see dudes who love fighting going crazy to worship the god of war, or the god of pleasure, but who is really getting all excited to become a follower of the god of poop and barf. Plus your guts fall out when you worship him it seems? Do they explain why they always look eviscerated, or is it just because "GROSS!"?

Papa nurgle keeps you alive when you otherwise would die.

You do want to stay alive don't you?

Embrace his gifts.

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

ugh imgur removed the image, hang on.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Beast Pussy posted:

Nurgle is arguably the only chaos god who genuinely loves his followers he just expresses it in a twisted way. Generally he gets people who are so in despair, either theyve given up on life in the imperium, or are bleeding out and dying. He answers their call and says, hey, i love you, just the way you are.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
Nurgle loves all his followers, and all life. Even the little gribblies and germs and stuff. (Especially the gribblies and plagues.) In addition to being a god of death and decay he is also a god of life and renewal, and of hope. You accept nurgle because he offers hope and love and joy in a cold, unloving galaxy. Maybe it involves coexisting with a colony of maggots that live under your collarbone, but that's ok. Nurgle loves them too, and so do you. They're your pets and you've named every little one, and the day one matures into a beautiful fly will be the happiest day in your life. Just like every other day.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Slaanesh loves everyone as well guys.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

JBP posted:

Slaanesh loves everyone as well guys.

Yeah thats kind of the problem. :chloe:

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME

Beast Pussy posted:

You don't really get a choice. If you cop Nurgles Rot both your body and your soul are inexorably tainted.

I've always viewed Grandfather Nurgle as being chaos doing the necromancy angle. All Chaos gods0 are personifications of emotion. So, nurgle represents the fear of death, expressed as wasting disease instead of wights and vampires and poo poo. You walk right to the edge of death and then revel in the new life you create as you become a host for a litany of virii and bacteria.

One of my favourite bits of chaos fluff was in the old Realms of Chaos WFB book from a million years ago (aka 1995). It's a one pager about a young imperial fleeing some crime (for which he was to be executed) by riding north. Initially he's just riding away to get away, but as he rides he reflects on how he always found imperial thinking limited, their rule of law short sighted. He keeps riding as the landscape changes. Eventually he comes to a doorway at the top of stairs in the middle of nowhere. A doppelganger appears and they begin fighting. The doppelganger mortally wounds him, and says something grimdark. Our protagonist goes like "nah gently caress you bro" and cuts his head off. Dies on the steps, and rises as a champion of chaos undivided.

Pretty loving cheesy, but it fundamentally altered how I viewed chaos from then on. Chaos is both a force for personal liberation, but also your own personal hell. I've rambled a bit but my core point is this: You don't pick your Chaos God like picking a couch at ikea. You submit yourself to Chaos and they put you wherever is the most darkly ironic for you to go: If you fear death, live as a host for nurgles rot forever. If you fear failure, then create the biggest pile of skulls or die. You fear pain? Turn everything into pleasure. You fear change or the passing of time? Then act as an agent of fate and understand that all human action is futile. Sounds like hell to me.

DPM fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Aug 4, 2017

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Yeah so I don't want to collect a bigmar army because of their battlefield abilities, because they're honestly a pretty bad army and anyone who wants them to be a good, competitive force is fooling themselves. You need volume of fire and anti-tank this edition and they don't really have either for anything remotely resembling point efficiency.

You collect a bigmar army because the models are awesome as gently caress. They are the best looking space marines and you want an army that can look its best. In that sense I think they're a really lovely choice as the starting army for new players in 8th edition, good for being low model count but you've got to really know what you're doing to make low model count armies work in 8th edition. But goddamn do they make for some pretty pictures.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

chutche2 posted:

Yeah so I don't want to collect a bigmar army because of their battlefield abilities, because they're honestly a pretty bad army and anyone who wants them to be a good, competitive force is fooling themselves. You need volume of fire and anti-tank this edition and they don't really have either for anything remotely resembling point efficiency.

You collect a bigmar army because the models are awesome as gently caress. They are the best looking space marines and you want an army that can look its best. In that sense I think they're a really lovely choice as the starting army for new players in 8th edition, good for being low model count but you've got to really know what you're doing to make low model count armies work in 8th edition. But goddamn do they make for some pretty pictures.

Just collect some and run them as regular marines for the time being if u think they're c00l.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

chutche2 posted:

Is there any (non fluff) reason you can't just take predators, dreads and other stuff as fire support?

My fluff plan is basically to do that and view bigmars as "real" Marines (who don't have rhinos for some dark, secret reason).

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

HardCoil posted:

Is there any (non fluff) reason you can't just take predators, dreads and other stuff as fire support?

My fluff plan is basically to do that and view bigmars as "real" Marines (who don't have rhinos for some dark, secret reason).

Nope. I just want to field a chapter of awesome looking Primaris gear even if they have severe handicaps on the table. Was thinking of adding in some non-primaris air support but their stuff is expensive enough that just my basic plan of stuff to pick up gets me to 2000 points.

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

I like the explanations for Nurgle way more than I thought I would when I asked. Probably not enough to commit to fielding a table of pus creatures, but enough that it doesn't feel so jarringly out of place. Thanks hams!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

No this is the Imperial-Nob Aquila of the lost 2nd Primarch who landed on an Ork world and united all the Digganobs, then the Orks as supreme Primork.

Owns.

Primorkis Marines for the Emprah! :orks101:

The Bee posted:

They're currently about half of an army, and a lot of what they do smallmarines can often do better. A lot of us like thinking through Primaris armies for thought exercises or good looking models, but their lack of anti-armor, cheap transports, and squad flexibility hurts them a lot.

That's no reason not to paint the better looking models and just use them as 'counts as' if you have to have The Best List in the meantime.

Unless you're playing WYSIWYG tourney.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Yeah. The lack of anti-armor is the big problem with the Primaris range as a whole, but some Predators for support changes that a lot. As for volume of fire, Primaris may have started with that issue but I think they've moved past it. Redemptors and Aggressors put out disgusting amounts of gunshots per turn, after all. They certainly outside Inceptors as far as firepower goes, who were formerly the only option of note there.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Beast Pussy posted:

Nurgle's the only one of the Chaos Gods who offers immortality to his followers without becoming a daemon.

It's a puss-filled and wretched immortality, but they don't seem to mind too much.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
No doubt they put out a lot of shots, but still at a pretty high cost. Repulsors can get a whole lot of S4 and S5 shooting but you're paying 300+ points for it. The price and output is pretty similar to a land raider crusader, which is quite solid but still a big chunk of your list. A lot easier to kill than a land raider, too, and with much less transport than a crusader has.

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

Ok goons, you were all very helpful last time and I've taken better photos of all the 40k stuff I have. Very roughly, what's it worth (in Australia) and is ebay the best place to offload it as one lot?

CSM Predator untouched except in an opened box

CSM Rhino untouched except in an opened box

Leman Russes, pretty sure there's a turret around somewhere but couldn't find it with a quick look.

Basilisks

Rhino and Predator

Hellhounds and Chimera

6 sprues of treads

Over 100(!) pieces of necromunda terrain, it all clicks together and is actually super cool.

A bunch of other terrain, the foldable stuff is a little beat up.

Bunch of Ork Boyz

CSM sprues, some bits missing

Warriors of Chaos, some bits missing.

More CSM bits, almost intact

Random bits, most of a dreadnought, Ork Trukk and landspeeder.

Necrons

Random bits

Eldar heavy weapons

Huge crate of random bits, I see a bunch of plague marines, Typhus, Sisters of Battle, Space Marines and heaps more.

There's more, but it's mostly random bits.

EDIT: Is this showing up for people? If I open the images separately they show, but looking at it on SA they're broken. Weird. You can see the album here.

Flea Bargain fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Aug 4, 2017

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

DumbparameciuM posted:

Pretty loving cheesy, but it fundamentally altered how I viewed chaos from then on. Chaos is both a force for personal liberation, but also your own personal hell. I've rambled a bit but my core point is this: You don't pick your Chaos God like picking a couch at ikea. You submit yourself to Chaos and they put you wherever is the most darkly ironic for you to go: If you fear death, live as a host for nurgles rot forever. If you fear failure, then create the biggest pile of skulls or die. You fear pain? Turn everything into pleasure. You fear change or the passing of time? Then act as an agent of fate and understand that all human action is futile. Sounds like hell to me.

Not always, you don't necessarily pick your god yes (Most of the Imperium is actually pretty in the dark about Chaos so it comes as a big surprise when a patron approaches them, even Magnus fell for this trick) but the gods often do pick champions who embody what they want in some kind of Faustian bargain. If you wanna fight a lot or are just so goddamn angry, Khorne will take notice, but you won't ever get to do much else but that. Tzeentch often recruits politicians and scholars, who have a lot of ambition or a desire to obtain knowledge, but the joke is that in their attempt to manipulate and learn the unknown, they are in fact manipulated by a much larger game. Slaanesh will usually come knocking if you desire to indulge yourself in hedonist pleasure but the trick is it will never be enough and you always want more depraved stuff. Nurgle offers acceptance to those who are outcast or feel rejected but you're now surrounded by the grossest poo poo in the galaxy, and now you are part of that "family", but hey, it's acceptance.

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Aug 4, 2017

Cainer
May 8, 2008

Flea Bargain posted:

EDIT: Is this showing up for people? If I open the images separately they show, but looking at it on SA they're broken. Weird. You can see the album here.

They're broken on SA, not sure why since I see them on Imgur. That is a ton of cool stuff, especially all the terrain.

Cainer fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Aug 4, 2017

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Flea Bargain posted:

You're linking to the page the image is on and not the image itself

e.g. you need to link to http://i.imgur.com/i2mOeeH.jpg instead of http://imgur.com/i2mOeeH

Also use TIMG tags because those pics are huge:

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

Good god man, look at all that sexy necromunda terrain

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

Zark the Damned posted:

You're linking to the page the image is on and not the image itself

e.g. you need to link to http://i.imgur.com/i2mOeeH.jpg instead of http://imgur.com/i2mOeeH

Also use TIMG tags because those pics are huge:

Fixed it, thankyou!

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME

Flea Bargain posted:

Ok goons, you were all very helpful last time and I've taken better photos of all the 40k stuff I have. Very roughly, what's it worth (in Australia) and is ebay the best place to offload it as one lot?

Are you sure you don't wanna split it? Will pm you a price for the crons and necromunda terrain if you're down. Am ausgoon.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Aw yeah those old school ruins and the Mordheim cardboard terrain, loved those as a kid. I based the ruins on a CD and all the sand fell off.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Put on your tinfoil hats, boys: The Warhammer Twitch guys were wearing badges with that new symbol on it.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Nah, they wouldn't take away Forge World sales like that. If we're getting plastic greatcoat IG, it'll be Steel Legion.
Hasn't been a problem for the 30K Marines. DKoK molds are getting old, and if they can do them in plastic, you're going to get better quality and consistency. FW can concentrate on the specialized DK tanks. Also, if they did DK as a plastic kit, they could add alternate heads and make Steel Legion.

I'd love for this to be a Steel Legion release, but didn't it become a daemon world and everyone left?

Flea Bargain posted:

Break it up. If you sell it as a lot, you won't get anything near what you can get for individual auctions. Tanks should go individually (with their respective tread sprue), the NM bulkheads should go in lots of 10 (or individual "Choose quantity" Buy It Now auctions,) the ruins should be split between Mordheim and 40K, models based on army (you can sell them as grab-bag lots.)

You spent money on this stuff, so don't short yourself on selling it. Unless you hate money.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Aug 4, 2017

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Flea Bargain posted:

I'd be willing to take your Eldar stuff. Also an Ausgoon.

ThreeLefts
Dec 27, 2012

Flea Bargain posted:

I don't like your chances of moving it at one lot, especially if even you aren't sure what people would be buying. Having said that, also Ausgoon and know a guy in need of Ork Bitz. I myself wouldn't mind that old school pred and/or rhino.
PM to talk figures.

I also spy Firestorm Armada in quite a few of those shots.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
Split it up by faction at the very least.

If you put ALL of it up as one lot you are only going to get buyers looking to split it up at a profit, so you'll make a fraction of what it is worth. Splitting it up by faction at least opens you up to some buyers looking to shortcut the people splitting it up at a profit.

I don't know AUS prices, but the imperial guard/astra militarum tanks could probably easily go for $20-30 USD each in a huge lot in the US, probably closer to $30. There's a bit of variance, but I'd totally put them up as an auction at $25 USD each and see who bites. It's australia, so it'd probably go much higher.

Edit: Possibly less for any vehicles you don't have tracks for. each of those track sprues UI believe goes to one imperial guard vehicle.

Felime fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Aug 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

RagnarokAngel posted:

Nurgle offers acceptance to those who are outcast or feel rejected but you're now surrounded by the grossest poo poo in the galaxy, and now you are part of that "family", but hey, it's acceptance.

This sounds a lot like Juggalos, and honestly, kinda makes me want to pick up Death Guard.