Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Remember how we'd line up at walls around town criers and puke through them at the throngs who'd gathered for each event and drunken kung fu riots would break out? :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

The far east aesthetics in the Final Fantasy 14 expansion are making me miss being able to triple jump and run up walls.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
The next inevitable Dynasty Warriors MMO might be pretty sweet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skA1jSjLiik

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

super sweet best pal posted:

The far east aesthetics in the Final Fantasy 14 expansion are making me miss being able to triple jump and run up walls.

loving same. I just keep hanging out in Kugane missing a terrible Chinese mmo and open world pvp

Speaking of, with the expansion pvp isn't really that bad in ff14 which is exciting

StorGondul
Apr 28, 2014
so i just ran into jizzwhiz on payday. still finding us playing bad games everywhere

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

I ran into teleprompter on payday once too!

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

My biggest regret is never getting past the login screen for this game.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...
You were better off

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

ijyt posted:

My biggest regret is never getting past the login screen for this game.

The sheer weirdness of being able to pay the monthly subscription with subway gift cards will never be repeated. :smith:

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

The sheer weirdness of being able to pay the monthly subscription with subway gift cards will never be repeated. :smith:

It was the perfect capstone to the whole insanity of Aow.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I still don't understand why or how the Subway card thing worked, but I'm glad it did.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

angerbeet posted:

I still don't understand why or how the Subway card thing worked, but I'm glad it did.

Here is what i understood and did :

Snail (a shady chinese company) used Xsolla (a shady russian company) as transaction broker.

Do you really want to have two shady as gently caress company from coutries rife with credit card fraud access to your CC number and CCD ?

If yes i have prime Florida estate and a bridge to sell you. In the early days of beta it was so bad that some banks immediately stopped any transaction to China/Russia on their cards untill they called the card owner to clear it as a precaution agaist fraud.

What you did was get a Subway gift card with cash or your debit card (at least Subway only dick around with your food, not with your transaction info, so far) and then give that number to Snail/Xsolla. You would still lose a few $ due to having to convert real money in Snail funbucks but that was the cost of keeping your CC details safe.

Also they usually had some kind of promotion running, so you would end up with a new cash shop style for your toon and a 6'' sandwich to eat during your 20 turn group practice for the same price.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
I think the real question is if Snail managed to turn the Subway cards back into real money somehow, or if all Snail employees just ate at Subway exclusively.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Pavlov posted:

I think the real question is if Snail managed to turn the Subway cards back into real money somehow, or if all Snail employees just ate at Subway exclusively.

If I had to guess its probably a money laundering scheme, where they exchange giftcards to people and the people give them 60% of the cash value.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Found this Wushu 2 CGI "trailer" on YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZy-ILrXzq8

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Group practice was truly the best thing in any MMO.

Aside from kidnapping offline players or maybe puking on everyone in Luoyang.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Heartcatch posted:

Or when we claimed we were trying to trigger the "lemon stealing courtesans" event. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ijihli14Wk

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Heartcatch posted:

It was a wonderfull idea (tie a social event to character progression and game system) that would have worked perfectly if the servers had the population necessary to support it. .

Sadly, the mechanics (need every participant to perform on cue, no drop in, huge penality for drop out, no incentives to help others by doing extra rounds, loving F2P players over by forcing them to do 30 perfect rounds instead of 20) made the whole thing an exercise in frustration 70% of the time.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
Just get 9 more accounts and do it by yourself wherever you wanna with no waiting imo

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Kylra posted:

Just get 9 more accounts and do it by yourself wherever you wanna with no waiting imo

There was a 2 (unhacked) client limit for each box. With a dual CPU mainboard and plenty of ram you could probably run 6 clients using VMs on a single box, but 5k$ of hardware for a chinagame sound a tad excessive.

The game was kinda designed for you to have 2 toons active at the same time, one doing selling/crafting and the other all the fun stuff.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

aleksendr posted:

There was a 2 (unhacked) client limit for each box. With a dual CPU mainboard and plenty of ram you could probably run 6 clients using VMs on a single box, but 5k$ of hardware for a chinagame sound a tad excessive.

The game was kinda designed for you to have 2 toons active at the same time, one doing selling/crafting and the other all the fun stuff.

tooniegoonieiskiescorpiesmommies

Also why spend $5k on hardware when you could spend $20k on ancient tai chi fist instead, duh

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

aleksendr posted:

That's what virtual machines and sandboxie are for. No hacking required.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

And my $1200 computer did just fine with it too.

Occasionally someone would walk by my TPs in the middle of nowhere and go WTF before walking off or murdering everyone.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Kylra posted:

And my $1200 computer did just fine with it too.

Occasionally someone would walk by my TPs in the middle of nowhere and go WTF before walking off or murdering everyone.

Wow. I must really have a poo poo rig. I could never manage to run more than 5 clients during TP, after that i would fail anything above turn 7 due to lag in the imputs.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Haquer posted:

tooniegoonieiskiescorpiesmommies

Also why spend $5k on hardware when you could spend $20k on ancient tai chi fist instead, duh

Pfft. 20k$ is pocket coins. Rumors are some spent that in a day during the opening of the new server for the Steam release.

Edit ; sorry, double posts.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Also the fun memories of the repeated failed ganks by the Vietnamese clans out for our blood will live on forever.

They jumped me once while I was fishing and even with a Royal Guard they couldn't stop me from water walking away.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

aleksendr posted:

Wow. I must really have a poo poo rig. I could never manage to run more than 5 clients during TP, after that i would fail anything above turn 7 due to lag in the imputs.
Some VMs have better performance than others, and you would want a really thin one, but Sandboxie works even better I've found since it doesn't even build a whole VM. It just separates processes so they can't see anything (like that there's 9 more of the same process running).

I did kidnapping runs with them and got basically the equivalent of something like $20/hr in ding at chinaspam seller rates. More if you only counted active time. I could do maybe 5 clients for script stealing as well (though they would get murdered about 1/3 of the time by ambushes because I just autowalked them out).

Computer stats at the time was I think i7 920, 16gb ram and a gtx 670.

Kylra fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jul 30, 2017

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Kylra was the second person to do this in our group that I knew of.

The first was urby, who after realizing how dumb this was, went to clean his guns and we never saw him again.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

It got me all my cash shop stuff and a bunch of skill books. I can't complain too much.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Kylra posted:

Computer stats at the time was I think i7 920, 16gb ram and a gtx 670.

Hmm. My i5 with 12GB and a 660 could not manage that. But i should have used snadbox instead of VirtualBox.

Yeah, early kidnaping runs when the original bonus for repeated delivery was still in place was so good. Not getting what you wanted in steal script was fine since you could always buy it later.

Ahh, to chinagame again someday...

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

people itt being like

drat I want to run 6 alts in sandboxes again

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Third World Reggin posted:

people itt being like

I only had one account and this China mmo took way too much of my time

Especially after they added in all those loving dailies and weeklies to chase it was so much time spent just to keep up with the top nerds ugh

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Multiboxing is a way of life. You just wouldn't understand.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I dunno, I just made armour for goons and kidnapped buskers. That was the high life.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

people itt being like

It did not start out like that.

In the begining there was plenty of people. You could get a TP easily after script steal or missing that a double TP at reset.
I usually only had my main and a secondary account to hold a selling spot but after a few month less and less people showed up for TP at regular intervals. Then the factions got released and suddenly everyone had some kind of events at all hours and school population dropped hard, making TP even harder to set up.

After screaming "Tp Chengdu waterfall 8/10 " for 40 minutes on every channels and having to reset twice because of AFKers you begin to look out for alternatives.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

people itt being like

you're just mad b/c you don't know what a bookcase looks like

Skion
Mar 24, 2013

angerbeet posted:

you're just mad b/c you don't know what a bookcase looks like

please post a picture in chat so I know what they look like

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

hey chartruese

someone named venice is looking for you

they think they killed you irl or something

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

hey chartruese

someone named venice is looking for you

they think they killed you irl or something

:holy:

Adbot