Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Konstantin posted:

It seems like the winner will be whoever releases the first AAA quality game that uses VR as an essential component. Tech demos and small scale projects can only get you so far, now that the tech is there someone needs to make something that mass market consumers will pay hundreds of dollars to play. Have any of the large game studios made a public commitment to develop something major for a specific technology?
I know Valve doesn't make games anymore but I was still a bit surprised / disappointed that they didn't announce Half-Life 3 as a Vive-exclusive launch title. Seems like that'd be the obvious 'killer app' and guarantee of maximum possible hype.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

TACD posted:

I know Valve doesn't make games anymore but I was still a bit surprised / disappointed that they didn't announce Half-Life 3 as a Vive-exclusive launch title. Seems like that'd be the obvious 'killer app' and guarantee of maximum possible hype.

turns out being the retailer of literally all of pc gaming pays better than developing a AAA hit release

PineappleGod
Feb 12, 2008
The Pineapple God has returned
A friend of mine owns a HTC Vive and I have tried and it is very cool. He plays mostly Elite on it and it works very well for that game. Setting the drat thing up is still finicky.
He also had two car racing games for it (Dirt rally and Project Cars), this was the first time playing any game I actually felt when the car jumped over a bump. I actually felt that in the pit of my stomach.

Still to get it to work my friend had to spend 800 euros on the actual Vive and another 500-600 euros on a better graphics card to actually run the games. All the games at the moment require quite finicky settings trickery to get stuff to run optimally, because if it runs even a bit poo poo you'll feel it within a few minutes of starting to play the game. Personally I think 1-2 generations forward (2-4 years) and this stuff will be gold. The room scale stuff was cool, but not really workable in a normal home environment, but stuff like Elite and car games were really awesome.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
At this rate Half Life 3 will take longer to develop than Duke Nukem Forever.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

half life 1 and 2 were both revolutionary, releasing half life 3 in like 5-6 years as a VR only title when VR picks up would be an extremely valve thing to do

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
I think the only really "natural" market segment for VR headsets is flight sim spergs. They're used to needing very high end systems and paying way too much money for highly specialized peripherals, and VR does improve the experience very significantly.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

half life 1 and 2 were both revolutionary, releasing half life 3 in like 5-6 years as a VR only title when VR picks up would be an extremely valve thing to do
It would be more revolutionary for Valve to learn how to count to 3

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Possibly. However a ton of their actual talent has left meaning they're practically Valve in name only at this point. Theyre basically the Walmart of games now.

Companies pay for space on Walmart shelves. Game studios pay Valve to house their games. Great business but practically wipes out anything artistic or long term growth. They're hosed if there's ever an open source market place like steam.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
is the valve box or valve's shift to creating a console for PC games doing ok? that could be a lucrative market if they create it and manage to bridge the divide between PC/mobile/console gaming

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

boner confessor posted:

is the valve box or valve's shift to creating a console for PC games doing ok? that could be a lucrative market if they create it and manage to bridge the divide between PC/mobile/console gaming

Nope, Steambox and SteamOS has been seriously backburnered now that it looks like MS isn't going to push the Microsoft store as the only source of apps on Windows 10. It was an escape hatch if MS decided to lock down Windows hard, saying that "PC gaming can survive without Windows".

Now that applications on Windows are continuing with business as normal, Valve isn't spending much effort on SteamOS.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm still sad they didn't call it the Steam Engine.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Twerk from Home posted:

Nope, Steambox and SteamOS has been seriously backburnered now that it looks like MS isn't going to push the Microsoft store as the only source of apps on Windows 10. It was an escape hatch if MS decided to lock down Windows hard, saying that "PC gaming can survive without Windows".

Now that applications on Windows are continuing with business as normal, Valve isn't spending much effort on SteamOS.

kk thanks. i still use windows 7 and will continue to do so until i can't anymore lol

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

boner confessor posted:

kk thanks. i still use windows 7 and will continue to do so until i can't anymore lol

Windows 8.1 and 10 are both fine. As a side effect of Valve's investment, Linux Gaming is actually not a joke anymore as long as you play mainstream titles, and ideally have an nVidia GPU.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Steamlink was 85% off this past sale. That's a serious discount to apply to physical hardware.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Buckwheat Sings posted:

Companies pay for space on Walmart shelves. Game studios pay Valve to house their games. Great business but practically wipes out anything artistic or long term growth. They're hosed if there's ever an open source market place like steam.

Normal people who just want to play games aren't going to be attracted by Yet Another Game Marketplace only its open source. There's probably like 500 of those already.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

MikeCrotch posted:

We are living in a Democratic/Free Market/Wealth setup, too bad the game will end before we get to future societies
Bringing back the good ol' days of D&D being full of SMAC quotes.

Cicero posted:

It would be more revolutionary for Valve to learn how to count to 3
:drat:

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

fishmech posted:

There's probably like 500 of those already.

yeah every big studio has their steam clone. blizzard's is just an extension of battle.net and is useful for publishing their games. EA has origin which is balls stupid and can't remember my loving password and is shoddy and terrible, but they give you free games you'll never play just for having it which is nice. also they still sell their games on steam

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Don't forget GoG who has their own fat Windows client now to their games store.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Buckwheat Sings posted:

You'd have to be delusional to think this will happen. Open-source software is fine for libraries and frameworks and occasionally even client apps, but the number of successful/significant consumer-facing OSS services is very low.

Also there are competitors to Steam: Origin, UPlay (wait does that still exist?), GOG, Humble Bundle and that one by the Stardock company.

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe

Cicero posted:

You'd have to be delusional to think this will happen. Open-source software is fine for libraries and frameworks and occasionally even client apps, but the number of successful/significant consumer-facing OSS services is very low.

Also there are competitors to Steam: Origin, UPlay (wait does that still exist?), GOG, Humble Bundle and that one by the Stardock company.

most successful is npm
it's for devs, it's venture-backed, it's oss and it s u c k s b a l l s

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

boner confessor posted:

The only way they'd really be able to succeed at this would be to introduce API layers and start demanding games adopt them instead of platform APIs as a condition of being sold through Steam. Then they could start selling boxes that are both mostly theirs, and that could run most of their catalogue without developers having to provide separate builds.

They might have the momentum necessary to try this now, and if they were providing developers with (say) "Steam Vulkan," "Steam Audio," "Steam Input," and "SteamNet" APIs—in cooperation with the major peripheral and middleware vendors—I could even see it working. But as long as they're basically a fancy downloader and chat service I don't see that kind of thing getting much traction.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Twerk from Home posted:

Don't forget GoG who has their own fat Windows client now to their games store.

They also have standalone drm-free installers, since that's kinda their thing.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

curufinor posted:

most successful is npm
it's for devs, it's venture-backed, it's oss and it s u c k s b a l l s
If it's for devs it's not a consumer facing service though. Honestly I'm struggling to think of one. Uh, OpenStreetMaps, kind of? I think they have their own consumer-facing website, although I understand they're mostly used as a data backend for other apps.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni
Jaden Smith has brought his amazing insight to the startup world and is making a big impact already: http://gizmodo.com/jaden-smiths-recyclable-water-startup-is-suing-sketchy-1797490093

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Noggin Monkey posted:

Jaden Smith has brought his amazing insight to the startup world and is making a big impact already: http://gizmodo.com/jaden-smiths-recyclable-water-startup-is-suing-sketchy-1797490093

I'm bullish on 2nd generation multi-platform entertainment entrepreneurs who cater to the superficially ecological bottled water niche.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni
And since the thread talks about the Hyperloop project, here's an interesting article outlining just how complex it is to tunnel under LA:
http://www.enr.com/articles/42388-a-tight-tunneling-feat-to-transform-la-transit

Looks ripe for disruption!

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.

Cicero posted:

Actually, that Stardock one is now dead: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impulse_(software)

RIP.

Unless you're talking about they kicked out another one?

Edit: Fixed url

Half-wit fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Aug 3, 2017

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Good news! They're having one in China!

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

What?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Noggin Monkey posted:

And since the thread talks about the Hyperloop project, here's an interesting article outlining just how complex it is to tunnel under LA:
http://www.enr.com/articles/42388-a-tight-tunneling-feat-to-transform-la-transit

Looks ripe for disruption!

Wouldn't the hyperloop have to basically defy the laws of physics to work as described? It sounds like it would more likely kill people.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

actionjackson posted:

Wouldn't the hyperloop have to basically defy the laws of physics to work as described? It sounds like it would more likely kill people.

considering only the rich could afford it, good!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

actionjackson posted:

No, nothing about it defies the laws of physics. The laws of physics just mean running, maintaining, and building it would be massively expensive to get a system that doesn't in the end go all that faster than existing high speed trains already in use in some countries, doesn't go fast enough to be that competitive with air flights, and doesn't have anywhere near the passenger capacity of either alternative.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Jesus loving Christ.

https://twitter.com/businessinsider/status/891690855521583105

The single-serve portions and excessive waste of a Keurig combined with the overpriced hardware and auto-delivered ingredients of a Juicero to make lovely over cooked food a microwave could do better.

Proof that "automatic delivery plan" and "IoT cooking appliance" together in a pitch to investors still works like a charm when it should make them run away screaming.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

fishmech posted:

No, nothing about it defies the laws of physics. The laws of physics just mean running, maintaining, and building it would be massively expensive to get a system that doesn't in the end go all that faster than existing high speed trains already in use in some countries, doesn't go fast enough to be that competitive with air flights, and doesn't have anywhere near the passenger capacity of either alternative.

This is the video I'm referring to, not sure if it's been discredited or not though. I suppose "defy the laws of physics" was incorrect, but this person seems to be saying that if there were even the most minute imperfections in the system that it would be deadly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNFesa01llk

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

actionjackson posted:

This is the video I'm referring to, not sure if it's been discredited or not though. I suppose "defy the laws of physics" was incorrect, but this person seems to be saying that if there were even the most minute imperfections in the system that it would be deadly.

imagine a high speed train, but you have to put it in a long, expensive tube which contains a vacuum instead of just putting the train in a normal atmosphere

oh also they figured out using air and atmospheric pressure to move items through tubes isn't worth it for large objects like, a hundred years ago

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

actionjackson posted:

It's absolutely true that the system will have inordinately large problems with things that are minor problems on other high speed rail. So yeah, it'll probably cause a lot of deaths when things go wrong. But not too much, since only a small amount can be in the systems at once.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Cicero posted:

its about GOG and that's about it. Origin basically is just EA stuff, UPlay is basically a glorified cross-platform download manager/social club at this point, and Humble Bundle while letting you buy keys from the Devs without paying Valve, like 99% of the cases are for games on Steam and reinforce Valve's hegemony. (and 99% is probably low)

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Question: Should you knowingly rent out defective cars that are at risk of bursting into flame?

If your answer is anything other than an emphatic "yes" you failed to pass the test to manage a $70 billion company.

Uber knowingly rented cars that were at risk of catching fire to its drivers in Singapore, a report says

quote:

The news comes from a Wall Street Journal report that says internal emails show Uber managers in Singapore were aware of the April 2016 recall but continued to rent the cars to drivers without fixing the defect. It's unclear whether Uber executives in San Francisco or then-CEO Travis Kalanick knew of the recall.

I bet through all these Uber scandals where damning emails continue cropping up, the only lesson Uber will learn is to stop sending emails and resort to communicating through Snapchat exclusively.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Doggles posted:

Question: Should you knowingly rent out defective cars that are at risk of bursting into flame?

If your answer is anything other than an emphatic "yes" you failed to pass the test to manage a $70 billion company.

Uber knowingly rented cars that were at risk of catching fire to its drivers in Singapore, a report says
I guess I'm behind the times, but since when did Uber start renting cars to its drivers? I thought drivers bringing their own cars was their whole deal and fairly central to their already-tenuous "we're not a taxi company" gambit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

TACD posted:

I guess I'm behind the times, but since when did Uber start renting cars to its drivers? I thought drivers bringing their own cars was their whole deal and fairly central to their already-tenuous "we're not a taxi company" gambit?

outside of the us and other nations where car ownership among those willing to drive jitneys is at a high level, you have to provide the means for a budding entrepeneur to obtain a vehicle to drive in. this being uber, such a scheme usually devolves into horrible predatory lending