Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

hobbesmaster posted:

Its a wild weasel - so its an ECM pod on the centerline, AGM-88 on the inner pylons then a tank, AIM-9 and AIM-120 on each wing. Up front is the HTS.

NICE ONE DAD :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

cowboy elvis posted:

Were we discussing ugly airplanes again?

No, we're discussing those rare people struck with a combination of Tourette's and Creutzfeld-Jacob's disease.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

The Locator posted:

Looks more natural in the video, guess the making it into a gif (frame dropping) was making me think something just looked... wrong.

Well you're only limited to 256 colors in an OG .gif (unlike the much superior gifv/mp4/webm) and that gif is also slightly sped up making it appear even more "off".

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BIG HEADLINE posted:

So I've decided at some point in the next 6-8 months to fly out to LA to visit the Edwards AFB Flight Test Museum, because I want to see the two-seater A-10 and *both* F-16XLs up close, and just in browsing, I came across this image and it presents a dilemma - which is sexier?

I mean, the only other thing it'd need in that picture is a YF-23 and we've got an impossible "gently caress, marry, kill" scenario. :v:

And yes, I know Edwards is 'close' to LA in the same way the moon is 'close' to Earth.

It's really not that far, it's maybe an hour and a half drive to Palmdale, get something to eat, whatever. Then another 45 minutes to Edwards.

You also can't get in unless you have base access.

e: Or are you talking about Black Bird Air Park on Plant 42?

Plinkey fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Aug 4, 2017

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

cowboy elvis posted:

V-bombers were mentioned, so yes.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Plinkey posted:

It's really not that far, it's maybe an hour and a half drive to Palmdale, get something to eat, whatever. Then another 45 minutes to Edwards.

You also can't get in unless you have base access.

e: Or are you talking about Black Bird Air Park on Plant 42?

I work for DoD so it shouldn't be an issue. I'll probably pre-register for one of the monthly tours anyway. I know I definitely want to go during the late winter/early spring, since walking around a desert in the summer doesn't sound like fun.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

joat mon posted:

No, we're discussing those rare people struck with a combination of Tourette's and Creutzfeld-Jacob's disease.

Welp, this covers it, laters

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I work for DoD so it shouldn't be an issue. I'll probably pre-register for one of the monthly tours anyway. I know I definitely want to go during the late winter/early spring, since walking around a desert in the summer doesn't sound like fun.

It's really not all that bad in the summer unless it's like Aug. early winter is probably your best bet, like Novemberish. It's not cold as poo poo in the mornings yet and it still gets up into the 60s-70s or so in the afternoon.

Spring is windy as gently caress.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Victors were definitely ugly as hell but in the most awesomely terrifyingly way possible.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
They're pretty much the epitome of the absurd thing a mad Brit banged together in a shed and conquered the world with class of technologies.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Talking poo poo about V Bombers should be a probatable offence.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

TTerrible posted:

Talking poo poo about V Bombers should be a probatable offence.

Sadly it'd take 8 mods and an admin to do it, and it's still only be a 6 hour probate at worst.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Mr. Despair posted:

Sadly it'd take 8 mods and an admin to do it, and it's still only be a 6 hour probate at worst.

This is a good post.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Mr. Despair posted:

nice

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

:siren: SECRET TRENT AFTERBURNER MODE :siren:

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

:flashfap:

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Eeeeeevil-16

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Platystemon posted:

Closed cycle phase change expansion fuel turbopump.

What you're witnessing is the fuel heater.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Duke Chin posted:

Well you're only limited to 256 colors in an OG .gif (unlike the much superior gifv/mp4/webm) and that gif is also slightly sped up making it appear even more "off".

Technically you're limited to 256 colors per frame, and there are many examples out there of trickery using zero delay frames in an animated GIF to overlay as many colors as you need.

That said if you need more than 512 colors per frame doing that ends up taking up more space than a standard 24 bit bitmap would have so its generally stupid to do.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

Platystemon posted:

Rolls Royce makin' sure that the fuel has a bit less ice in it! :britain:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

cowboy elvis posted:

Inherently, no airplane is ugly, but is instead a fantastic marvel of industrial engineering.

On the other hand, airbusses are, at best, "office hot"

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Coooobraaaaaaaa!
(80s kids will get this)

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
He's a real pilot, now! This may well be a fake video, but I can see someone being this fuckin' nuts. Just not sure what the left capacity is on those things.

https://twitter.com/TripleSixGod/status/893243149417578496

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

mlmp08 posted:

He's a real pilot, now! This may well be a fake video, but I can see someone being this fuckin' nuts. Just not sure what the left capacity is on those things.

No way that is lifting a real person.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Dummy or just fake video would both make sense.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

https://m.imgur.com/r/woahdude/LqGqgzq

(Not sure how to just share it as a gifv or webm or whatever from mobile, but it's a hammock dude and it's a drat sight more heavy duty than the drone in the tweet)

(But I'm pretty sure this is hung from a crane, looking at the bit where he's over water)

simplefish fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Aug 4, 2017

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

mlmp08 posted:

I can see someone being this fuckin' nuts.

A pale imitation of previous greatness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7w_v9J7iOc

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
An Osprey hit the drink off the coast in Australia during Talisman Sabre wargames.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-05/search-underway-for-us-marine-corps-aircraft-crew-off-queensland/8778202

23 marines rescued, three missing presumed dead

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
You still with us, Bob A Feet?

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Yeah, I'm here. Just praying everyone is found.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

I swear to god I can't stop unseeing this as an F-16 with a smaller, fully loaded F-16 on a wing-mounted pylon.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

More XL please

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
So why doesn't Lockheed offer the XL and still just the block 60/70 whenever they throw the 16 at people? It can't be that much more.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

F16 production is dwindling, it is an old design now. I guess countries with the cash to but new planes these days want the new hotness.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The Chinese version of ConAir:

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.

mlmp08 posted:

This one's real:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=At3xcj-pTjg

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Deptfordx posted:

F16 production is dwindling, it is an old design now. I guess countries with the cash to but new planes these days want the new hotness.
I think it's more a market saturation issue. All the players who would buy the F-16 have done so, or purchased something with equivalent capabilities, and are just buying new planes to maintain their current fleets. There isn't really a plane to replace it directly where you'd save any money or get a marked improvement in performance either.

It's not exactly that they want the new hotness, but that pretty much everyone with money to buy fighters has the F-16's roles covered and are looking for aircraft to supplement those capabilities.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

MrYenko posted:

The Navy's have. The Marines still have some Prowlers kicking around.

And the Navy only got rid of their last Prowlers within the last couple of years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Russia.mp4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwfWBcsj6dk